Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the first SciFi channel season required that they only use things in the channel's library. Toward the end, however, the network lightened up their control and they could go back to the massive well of public domain shorts that brought us all so much joy. You'll note that A Case of Spring Fever was in the second to last episode of the show.

I'd kind of like it if they expand the format to two hours. With little to no editing for the movie, a short, and host segments, they could run that length pretty easily. But there's no reason that they should require any particular length; just run shorter or longer as needed...

Yeah, I imagine that's part of the reason Joel & co went to Netflix, no specific runtime restrictions. If a movie happens to only be 55 minutes long, then the episode only has to be an hour and ten. If the film is 150 minutes, then 3 hour ep.

Though Joel's also said very few 50's type movies this go-round, so 70's-80's era PSAs are probably more likely if they do any shorts. Plus Rifftrax already has most of the good ones done anyway. They've got like 3 dozen Coronet ones alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Going back to the shorts, I'd be interested in seeing alternate takes on some of the Rifftrax ones, like the At Your Fingertips series or the Norman series.

(Seriously I have no idea what the hell with the Norman Krasner shorts. I guess we made them in Canada, but I have no idea why. Although I very, very vaguely remember seeing one in either elementary or junior high once.)

If I had to pick one Rifftrax one to be tackled by Jonah and the bots, it'd probably be One Got Fat, because jesus...

(Coffeehouse Rendez-vous is also up there, but more in a baffled bemusement that a whole 10 minute film was made about this subject)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^^ I'm kinda happy to see him in the couple of Bond films he was in, actually, for reals

twistedmentat posted:

I never saw it, ever. And yea i should watch it, it being on the Youtube Channel. I mean, I finally watched Pumaman on there.

Who? Oh, you mean Thepuma Man?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Out Of This World is pretty much always going to be mine, just because of how campy the premise (and the demon) are.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The only one I really remember is A Case of Spring Fever. Noooooo springs!

The most amazing thing about this one is how LONG it goes after what should be the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I just realised I have no clue how MST shoots. Would that mean Jonah and the bots did like 5 movies, or just one with multiple takes? Do they do the skits with the film they're attached to, or is that a later day?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Now if you wanna talk leget good movies from the show, lets talk Magic Voyage of Sinbad.

This Island Earth is the obvious choice for 'good' MST'ed movie, but I actually like Parts: The Clonus Horror a fair amount for what it sets out to do.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I will be shocked, incidentally, if Netflix don't preface the launch date announcement with a reveal of the new version of the theme. I'm actually wondering how they'll fit Jonah's name in, as it's two syllables.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If I was Joel & crew, I'd work on the Christmas episode first and release it as a standalone for the holidays.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they did weekly for one of their kids' shows? (Though they better not pull that poo poo with season 2 of Voltron) And stuff like The Get-Down and that Ashton Kutcher one are doing staggered releases.

Marco Polo also had a one-off holiday special.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not strictly MST, but the most recent Rifftrax B-movie release is worth checking out because it's absolutely a movie that could/should've been on the show: Honor & Glory, directed by Godfrey Ho and starring the queen of C-list DTV action: Cynthia Rothrock.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also some people think their movies are 'better' than MST and don't deserve to be mocked.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

That, or a look at the new title sequence.

The titles are the obvious one. Maybe a purpose-shot skit with Patton and Felicia as the Mads, also.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I was really hoping we might at least get the new opening.

Gonna be so different to not having Mike singing the theme.

Is anyone on the new cast/crew a decent singer?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

:colbert: I said the new crew, we already know Tom Servo can sing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm going to be legitimately stunned if they don't announce at least some episodes from the older seasons on Netflix in prep for the new episodes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Honestly I had never heard of her before she got involved in the revival, but she seems to have a very Mike-esque energy about her persona. I was a little surprised to see that she's playing a character that's so different from how she appears everywhere else.

I think Kinga's main gag is going to be that she's a socially awkward dork that compensates by putting on a tryhard professional/sexually aggressive act. So probably a lot of flirting with Jonah and berating the bots only for New Frank to talk about her new Supernatural fanfic getting tons of views or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Based on A) the little bit we saw during the Kickstarter, B)the type of comedy Day likes playing and C) the previous Forresters being basically dork pretending to be super-great evil villains.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Space Mutiny or Pumaman would be my suggestions. Pumaman managed to grab a bunch of my RPG group who'd never heard of the show when I had it on while we were setting up for the game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

I may have briefly fused that and Shaking Hands with Danger yes

Not going to lie, Catching Trouble would be way, waaaaaaay better if that stupid little music riff played every time an animal was abused

...I think I'm gonna need to extract some sort of compensation from Mike, Bill and Kevin for getting that drat song wired into my head. I literally heard the sting just now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just watched Kitten With A Whip today and I'd like to submit it as one of the 'totally watchable on it's own' movies. It's certainly an absurd melodrama that plays into the moral panic at these newfangled "teen-agers" at the time, but it's a totally competent and fairly well-acted example of the genre.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is no where near the worst bond movie.

It's actually one of the top tier ones for me. Lazenby is serviceable and sells the hell out of the ending, Rigg more than makes up for his weaknesses, and questionable gender politics aside, the story's one of the stronger ones in the franchise.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah it has a certain intensity that's helped by Ann Margaret being, well, Ann Margaret.

"You turned off Doodles Weaver!"

The guy playing the leader of Ann-Margaret's gang is also pretty fun with his whole intellectual thug shtick.

It actually feels like there's fewer riffs than usual, almost like Mike and the guys are just watching the movie too.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 20, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TL posted:

Joel said on Facebook that they've delivered all 14 episodes to Netflix. Apparently, Netflix does about 30 days of quality control, then they go up. So hopefully in a little over a month we'll all be watching new MST3K.

I assume they're (Netflix) going to hold the Christmas special until December, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can't unsee the bad photoshopping of Felicia in that picture, I know it'd be a pain in the rear end to apply transparency to the spaces in Crow, but jeez.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I doubt it. Felicia strikes me as one of those women who barely shows a bump until like 3 days before her water breaks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Pretty much. When she announced publicly that she was pregnant, which was only a couple weeks before she was due, Mary Jo Pehl tweeted at her that she had no idea when they were on set.

Heh, I wonder if there's any gags about Grandma Pearl wanting great-grandkids.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

There's a few Rifftrax shorts that are Mary Jo and Bridget.

The Flashdance themed dentist one has one of the rare cases where one of the riffers almost loses it even in the final take. Bridget has a line where the girls in the short are spreading their legs for a routine and says something like "That'll put some snap in your retainer!" and MJ just loses it for about 10 seconds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The skit from that era I like the best is when Pearl moves into the castle and tries to throw a ball but everyone comes over to watch Sliders in Brain Guy's room.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doubling back to Rifftrax for a bit, if it's up on Prime where you are, I can recommend Icebreaker, with Sean Astin, Bruce Campbell and Stacy Keach. It's basically Die Hard on a mountain ski resort, but much, much lamer because Rudy is the lovely John McClane.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

There's like 15 years between those movies.

She MAY have meant Saturday Night Fever and Grease.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vadinjo is kind and strong and would only put the true Thepumaman at risk. :colbert:

Also, are those eps going up on Netflix everywhere s11 is going to be up?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Answer to my prior question seems to be YES at least for the UK! Am watching Space Mutiny via Netflix right now!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Time Chasers also has a really good opening sketch with Mike and Pearl hanging out in Pearl's van. Mary-Jo's performance just kills me every time.

"Sometimes I think I lie... because I'm evil... :sigh:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Felicia Day is apparently a huge MST3k fan and her response to Joel asking her to be a Mad was supposedly "omg plzzzzzzz"

Not exactly, she IS a a fan, but her brother's the superfan. The way she told it in the interview I saw was that she took the job almost as much to make him jealous as anything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Yup.

I just showed my girlfriend the Samson vs. The Vampire Women episode today (since it's on that landmark episodes list I'm working on). I made sure not to explain anything about Samson beforehand so that by the time he showed up unannounced, halfway into the movie, it blew her mind.

#GO EL SANTO #
#GO EL SANTO #
#GO GO!#

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Theme Song Lyrics

I think it'll be more based on the Mike version:

In the not-too-distant future
Way up on Moon 13
Ms Forrester and Son of Frank restarted an evil scheme
They lured a guy by the name of Jo(nah)
Just a regular schmoe they didn't know(nah)
Their experiment needed a good test case
So they stole his ship and shot him into space

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of amateur filmmakers recognise shot-reverse shot as a technique, but not the nuances of it, and where it's not appropriate. (And some, like James Nguyen, have no idea how to mix sound from location shooting to allow ADR.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Clouseau posted:

Rifftrax is super hit or miss for me. It seems like sometimes they're just bored as hell with the material, and sometimes they're fascinated or enraged.

Some of those hits though--- Twilight, Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny, Setting Up A Room...

Their shorts are usually a sure thing.

I'm constantly amused that Rifftrax have technically done Roadhouse 3 times at this point. (Once with Mike on his own, once with Mike, Kev and Bill, and then AGAIN with all 3 a decade later)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mods, please change my name to A Joe Don Baker's Dozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

I could watch a season of just Ultraman

Throw in some Kamen Rider and I'm down.