Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Future War's overall premise isn't abjectly terrible. You could probably even keep the "nun-to-be undergoing a crisis of faith" angle.

Tangentially I also remember finding Teenagers From Outer Space oddly compelling, but I can't actually remember why. Maybe it's time for a rewatch.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Timby posted:

First thing I saw was the movie, first full episode was The Brain That Wouldn't Die, and I was hooked from there.

Yeah, something like this for me too. The local video store had the movie and a random smattering of the early single episode releases. At the time i was just slightly too young to consistently stay up late enough to catch it airing on SciFi, though I distinctly recall watching at least one episode on TV: Diabolik. Possibly the original airing, even.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If he wasn't confused by the beach, he wouldn't be Jerry.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My old Time Chasers disc had some kind of problem. :( The last 30 min or so of the episode would just glitch out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I think I've mentioned in these threads many a time, I think I've only made it the whole way through Manos all of about once.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gozinbulx posted:

Hamlet is definitely an awful ep. I watching it when it first aired and just be dumbfounded as to how a single piece of film could be quite so boring. I feel that way kinda to about Jack Frost and those other weird russian finnish movies, but thats just me.

Do you get bored?

Gavok posted:

I've seen Manos enough that I'm in "seeing the good movie buried underneath it all" mode as I watch it nowadays.

I'm actually on board with that take. Just doesn't make the episode particularly easier to watch for me. :v:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 23, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Arrested Development Season 4? :corsair:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Kind of like Crow, Baron's Tom strikes me as somewhere between Kevin and Josh. (Though oddly while I'm used to Josh's voice now from Cinematic Titanic, it still feels weird whenever I happen to hear it come out of Tom.)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

X-O posted:

I thought the movie riffing was really strong for a first episode. All of the host segments left much to be desired though. It just didn't click with me at all.

None of the host segments (except one, ya'll know which one) felt like they had time to breathe. Same thing with the riffs; lots of good lines but not enough punch.

To be honest, I wasn't particularly blown away, but I feel like no small part of that comes from how amazingly repetitive the back half of the movie is.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay, the second episode landed way better than the first for me. Thanks in no small part to the movie being COMPLETELY BONKERS!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gavok posted:

I find it to be the perfect B-side to RiffTrax's I Believe in Santa Claus. It's that same flavor of "It's okay if we're campy and weird because it's a kid's movie" that goes way too far and is just loving inexplicable.

I laughed my rear end off at the final two minutes without even needing the riffs because what the hell did I even watch?

I think I may end up making "That must be the _____ that escaped from the circus!" a new personal riff for anything that shows up in a movie out of left field. It wouldn't port back to the movie itself very well though, because I'd be saying it at least once every. single. scene.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 12, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ComposerGuy posted:

(although I consider episode 2 to be vastly superior to episode 1).

Yeah I'll say that if the first episode doesn't work for you, at least give the second a shot. Cry Wilderness is a transformative experience.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Time Travelers was a pretty solid episode, but I was left kinda frustrated by the movie. And I can't tell if it's due to cuts they made (like to the ending) or just that the movie itself is uneven. Like what happened to the mute outsider dude?

There's juuuust enough charm and craft in there that I'm left wishing it was fleshed out a bit better either way. Anyone know how the remake is?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Didn't Joel say something at one of the live events that implied that the next season was already a go, but then hastily corrected himself about it because he wasn't supposed to be talking about it yet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be fair, Funkopops have kind of ended up infesting a lot of Nerd Stuff in a way that's almost unavoidable and I can see that being off-putting if you're not into them. The way I hear it told it sounds like Gamestop should consider changing its name to Funkostop.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Special effects by Billy! :buddy:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

I know it's the same people, but the vibe of basically everything Rifftrax turns me off of it so much that I haven't been able to sit through a full thing of anything they've done, and I'm a huge MST3K fan.

I can't remember if it was in this thread or a blog post on tumblr somewhere but somebody out there explained their discomfort with the shift from the dopey yet punchy tone of the Joel era to the sharply sarcastic but increasingly mean-spirited tone of the Mike era, and it really put into perspective at least part of why Rifftrax can rub me the wrong way.

It also doesn't help that when they started as small fish with no direct downloads/streaming options, I had no easy access to movies to sync the riffs to, so I never really engaged with their business model to begin with.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

Does anyone know if there's a good (likely unofficial) 24/7 MST3K stream out there to go with the official 24/7 Rifftrax stream?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mystery-science-theater-3000---mst3k

They also sometimes run Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax stuff. Or other entirely random stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

All the host segments from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians are fantastic, and Crow's gift request of "I wanna decide who lives and who dies" is one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

Plus Joel's timeless response: "Oh, I dunno...."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
No...? It can't be...?? YER DEAD!

No I'M....nOOOT!

...No...it can't bEEE...you're invisibLLEEE??

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, she opened the syntho-flavo door. Along with the rest of Tom growing increasingly frustrated with the clunky future jargon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
...Prince of Space, sir?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HopperUK posted:

Crow in 'The Brute Man' channelling the angry shopkeeper while Mike bends double trying to suppress his laughter gets me every time. "I hope you die!"

God is dead? Good!!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bruceski posted:

So-di-um! So-di-um! So-di-um!

This one lost its luster when I realized they didn't understand what was happening in the movie.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Mike and the Bots really lean into the sodium thing when the plot lulls again after they've already got the sodium (or at least have figured it out, the one guy has to drive into the big city to get a substantial amount after all) and what they're stuck on is how to actually track down the monsters to use the sodium on them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I think Chicken of Tomorrow is the best short, as cliche as that is to say, it just has so many good gags, plus the underlying short is actually kinda interesting in it's own right

That's just what you think, big boy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also as per the out of nowhere talking chicken, the shorts have a tendency to be just plain weird in a way the movies usually aren't. Well, either weird or quaint or horrifying.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Ah, now I finally understand how Space Mutiny could say "from the effects team that brought you Star Wars!" on the box.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Get...real...beard...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The pee-throwing scene, everybody!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't become a clerk at a shoe store though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My fajita plate was hot and I touched it! :supaburn:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The crown of course going to the segment they did that's a direct riff on A Case of Spring Fever...years before they actually did A Case of Spring Fever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Walnuts are just tearing through the hay.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

Okay, The Screaming Skull is my new low-key favorite episode nobody talks about.

GET A BOX! :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Plus, Corman gave us The Undead, a film with no zombies but lots of bizarre medieval speech.

STAAAY!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
*not-so-subtly crosses legs*

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Just WORK the LUMPS, Mike!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
BAD MOTHERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Another Bill posted:

Fwiw they still show Attack of the Puppet People, The Galaxy Invader and I'm pretty sure WotLK on the twitch.tv/rifftrax channel. Maybe the others too idk.

I caught Attack of the Puppet People the other week and boy is that movie a thing.