Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just want to be the first person to say

Well, not really, but it's tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember how thrilled I was to stumble upon a VHS copy of The Amazing Colossal Man episode that somehow the store missed the recall notice (IIRC, there was a properly licensed VHS release a few years later). And twenty years later and we still have the same problems with that episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The shorts kind of disappearing had more to do with Syfy than any desire on their behalf. Also I'm assuming shorts were harder to come by back in the day but now with the internet they're all over the place.

Yeah, the first SciFi channel season required that they only use things in the channel's library. Toward the end, however, the network lightened up their control and they could go back to the massive well of public domain shorts that brought us all so much joy. You'll note that A Case of Spring Fever was in the second to last episode of the show.

I'd kind of like it if they expand the format to two hours. With little to no editing for the movie, a short, and host segments, they could run that length pretty easily. But there's no reason that they should require any particular length; just run shorter or longer as needed...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 1, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's right. I think Tom's body was painted black, too.

There were a few episodes where the dome was clear so that people could see the movie through Tom's head, but for the most part they painted the theater puppet's head completely black for Tom as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

Tom is clearly the weakest. He seems to get the worst lines and the voice is pretty bad, over rehearsed. This is my hot take after 4 episodes.

I don't think it's even that he's bad. It's just he's kind of overwhelmed by everyone else.

Also, I strongly suspect that the overdoing of the riffing at points comes from having a murderer's row of writers and the learning curve of cutting jokes from the show. They have too much great material so they say it all very fast and pile them on top of each other, which of course makes it not so great. Season 12 (there better be a season twelve) will probably be a good step up as they have a feel for how to pace the riffing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looking forward to the riff of Frankensnake Riftbeaver vs Outer Space Napalmuskrat next season.

Edit: Oh god, Ricki Ticki Tarantula...

REDjackeT posted:

I don't really like what I've seen so far. They seem to want to fill dead air with jokes, and not just on the first episode. Some of them are pretty great and remind me of what I like about MST3K, Rifftrax, etc. like that Jim/Bones/Fossil Jim/Fossil Bones joke. Then there's the other 15 jokes that fell on the floor around it within 10 seconds. It gets a bit better on the other episodes I watched, but it's still kind of annoying. The writing just seems a bit... off? I just keep thinking that this seems like a fan project. Subterranean Cinema 4000! Maybe I'll like the next season better.

I don't think it's that they are just filling every bit of dead air, it's that they sometimes have three or four jokes for short sequences (or jokes for each half second cutaway) and instead of just trimming things down, they cram all of them in and just run through them faster. It makes the delivery feel wrong.

But considering that and Tom Servo not being distinctive enough are the only two real complaints anyone seems to have about the new season, they're doing drat good.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 15, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

It's Star Wars, if Han Solo was replaced by Barbarella.

One of the fun things in Starcrash is to watch for all of Stella Star's costume changes. It's in the same range as Barbarella.

Gaz-L posted:

It's honestly almost worth the coyness for the payoff of the actual Beast's first appearance. I assumed it was going for a chupacabra thing right up until WHAM T-Rex outta loving nowhere. Also Gypsy again killed me with her "Fun fact, this is the only death by T-rex strangling in film history"

The film is pretty infamous for the plot twist but I didn't remember it until it happened and then I went, "Oh yeah! It's this movie!"

The film selections for season 11 is a real list of "movies that people have been saying for years should have been MST3K episodes

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's nothing like suddenly realizing that you've watched a film that they're riffing. That furry in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was definitely memorable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

JUST GIVE US THE KEYS YOU STUPID MAN

Also was happy to see Mary Jo, Kevin, and Bill. It's good to see the old cast hand off the ball like that, even if Mike would rather eat broken glass than be involved in it :v:

I am 95% sure Mike contractually cannot take part, but presumably an exception will be made the next time he renews his contract for Rifftrax and he'll make the friendly guest appearance after that.

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh cool. I remember there being bitterness over the royalties to the old series, but I also know Frank said they'd make sure to cut in old alums this time.

While there's definitely a split among the MST3k alums along the lines of "those who were there in the UHF days" and "those who came on board afterward", I don't think it's a hostile one. It's just who is good buddies with who. The only person all of the old MST3k people hate is Jim Mallon.

Egbert Souse posted:

They should have Mike cameo as Torgo.

I want Mike to appear as Mike with another Crow and Tom who sound like Bill and Kevin and the old and new crew meeting just confuses the hell out of everybody.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mangler103 posted:

Wait...doesn't Mike own Rifftrax? I thought it was his company. Surely it's his call.

He does, but I thought he had contracts with other people for things like distribution and part of that can be a non-compete clause where appearing on a directly competitive program (even if all the smart and handsome people watch both) is forbidden. Maybe it's not the case, but either way I'm dubious that Mike is really against the reboot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

AVALANCHE question: What the gently caress happens to Robert Forster in that movie. He's the guy in every disaster movie who no one will listen to and then as soon as the avalanche hits the vanishes from the movie. And then Rock Hudson, who's an rear end in a top hat, suddenly turns into the hero. It really feels like at some point, their roles got switched. Forster just turns up once the fun is over, and largely just stands around while the totally heterosexual Rock Hudson saves people.

I can't figure out why he was complaining about the construction in the dangerous snow. Just because last night's snowfall was one that allowed for avalanches doesn't mean that every snowfall is. A better movie would have set that up where he as an avalanchologist was trying to warn about dangerous avalanche conditions and insisting that the resort be closed until they could clear the danger ("There's an unprecedented snowpack on that mountain and it could fall on us at any minute!") but Rock Hudson won't listen ("Shut down on Fourth of July weekend? Are you mad? Besides, we have little avalanches all the time and no one gets hurt."). Instead it seems to be implying that pretty much any ski resort is a deathtrap just waiting to happen (oh my god! There's snow and a slope! It's just a matter of time...).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

And then a snow-shark shows up.

I think you'll find that someone trademarked "snow-shark" specifically so it couldn't be used in a disaster movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Gypsy's new voice is perfect and fits her more than her previous strange dumb bovine voice

I feel like while Gypsy may have been a one-note character before, there's just nothing distinctive about her now. Getting two riffs a movie just isn't enough; maybe if she came in more often it would be better. I do like how the puppet redesign lets them hang bodies off the neck for playing dressing up.

Basically, new voice is fine, but Gypsy needs more to do.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Question: Do you think ANYONE could have sold "IMPERIAL BATTLESHIP! HALT... THE PASSAGE OF TIME!"?

I think you'll find that the most famous line from Starcrash is "Imperial Battleship... Halt... the flow of time!" Nobody could sell "halt the passage of time", but "the flow of time"? Absolutely.

At a nerd convention over ten years ago I ran into someone with a t-shirt with that line on it. And I wished I had one...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Knight posted:

What exactly is Gypsy doing when she gets her two jokes in the theater? Just putting something down and coming back for it later? A friend described it as "she drops a bad joke and leaves."

I'm pretty sure she's dropping the bucket at the beginning and then collecting the liquid bad movie at the end. Which makes Gypsy a collaborator!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Even Rifftrax couldn't save the second Bay Transformers when I tried to watch it, that was an utterly miserable slog to sit through.

I was going to post pretty much this exact thing. I got the Transformers 2 riff as soon as it was available and I still haven't managed to watch the whole thing because the movie is just that awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey it worked on Robot Monster!

And if you don't like that episode, you and I are gonna have to fight to the death.

I wish they hadn't done Robot Monster in season one because I can only imagine how brilliant it would have been later in the run.

When I went out to LA about six months ago I finally got to visit Ro-Man's cave. It was truly magnificent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mangler103 posted:

This thread reminded me that I bought all those Cinematic Titanic episodes digitally. I went looking for them, and realized the site I bought them from is long gone. :/

I hope that the .iso's survived on my hard drive somewhere. I really liked those.

That's why I bought the physical copies. :v:

Bicyclops posted:

The crew were forced into having a storyline with continuity by Sci Fi executives, so it's fairly probable that they were intentionally as off the wall as possible just to rebel against what they felt was network interference, something they hadn't experienced as much on Comedy Central. There they were seen as sort of a prestige show that won awards, never did spectacularly in the ratings, but defined the early network identity and, after all, they were in Minnesota, and who wanted to actually go all the way out there and tell them what to do (the Sci Fi channel, once it got purchased by USA, did want to go there and tell them what to do).

And two of their other significant mandates that affected the show were "no shorts" and "scifi/fantasy movies only" (presumably out of the library that the scifi channel had already licensed). They relented on that in season 10 at least and we got some of the greatest stuff right before they went off the air.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I had only watched a handful of MST3k episodes as a kid and wanted more after watching the revival. The first old one I watched was Time of the Apes. The ending of that movie makes no sense with the cuts they made. (and from reading what was cut online, still doesn't really make sense.) Any must see classic episodes? (I don't care what era of the show they are from.)

Okay, going with one pick per season and trying to select things that are big episodes or representative:

Robot Monster - Season one is skippable because they were still figuring things out, but if I had to go with one episode
Rocket Attack USA - Getting into the good stuff now with my first episode which I watched when they first aired it. It introduced the idea of the stinger and it has a hell of an ending.
Pod People - Getting harder to pick because so many great episodes, but Pod People has the best musical number the show has done.
Monster-a-Go-Go - Ha ha just kidding. Of course it's Manos: The Hands of Fate for reasons far to obvious to state here.
Mitchell - The last Joel episode and it's amazing.
The Beast of Yucca Flats - Most of my favorite episodes in season six are "advanced MST3K" so I'll point out Beast as both part of the Coleman Francis trilogy and a magically awful film.
Laserblast - The last Comedy Central episode and also really good.
Prince of Space - Your weapons are useless against this episode.
Pumaman - Entirely on how absurd the film is.
Squirm - The main riff is fine. The short is one of the greatest things they ever did (I have to wonder if the Simpsons writers had to watch that film in school of if they had just seen another terrible educational film that used the same concept).

There you go, ten recommendations that cover the breadth of the series pretty well, I think. Okay, maybe a few more bad teen dramas and a few less monsters would be appropriate but those monsters are their bread and butter.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 24, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh nice, Cool as Ice Rifftrax is currently available with Amazon Prime. I knew they changed the movies regularly but it wasn't there two hours ago when I started watching another one. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As someone said earlier, 16 mil/ep of Marco Polo vs 6 mil/season of MST3k is kind of a no-brainer.

The worst aspect of MST3k being on Netflix is that we won't get 22-26 episode seasons.

But if they do two seasons a year, I will accept that as a reasonable alternative.

PostNouveau posted:

"At the Earth's Core" isn't so bad. The tired premise and lovely effects really get elevated by the cast.

A lot of the movies this season seemed to fall in that not that bad range while being perfectly cheesy enough to work with the show. Which is really a perfect way to go with movie selection.

That said, I'd appreciate it if they didn't lean quite so heavily on the giant monster movies next time. With so few episodes per season, variety is a good idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Family got complicated so we're doing our big meal tomorrow. Which means I'm running the gauntlet.

One down: I somehow dodged seeing Mac and Me before this. Even when I was a kid I could tell this movie would be a complete pile of poo poo and it definitely lived up to its reputation. I want to know what was in that grocery store to make it go up like that. Good riffs and probably the biggest "name" bad movie they've ever gotten for the show unless you count Godzilla vs. The Movies In His Series Nobody Talks About.

Now to refresh my drink before I hit the Asylum. I suspect that this is going to be the bad one.

remusclaw posted:

Asylum movies never hit where they try to hit but they do occasionally manage unintended drama you can rarely see in other films. For instance, a drunk rear end in a top hat trying to convince his uncomfortable Fox News host girlfriend to stick around at a sub McDonalds in Mac and Me level party.

I remember there being an unofficial commentary for their version Moby Dick that detailed their production. I couldn't find a copy of the movie to listen to it with, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As Atlantic Rim starts I am reminded that every bad movie fan falls into the Asylum trap once, thinking they'll make an entertainingly bad movie instead of just plain lazy and boring.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Halfway through Atlantic Rim I got a phone call and I had to run out to help someone. So much for running the gauntlet in one sitting.

Anyhoo, Atlantic Rim was stupid and annoying. After the madness of Mac and Me with the riffing to compensate, this was a let down. I feel like the riffs weren't as mean as they should have been to this movie, rarely calling out the massive production problems with the movie. It wound up being kind of a mid-range episode and I suspect on rewatches it's going to be one people consider skipping over.

I laughed that Lords of the Deep was described as a rip off of Deep Star Six. I just watched that a few weeks ago for the Halloween movie challenge thread and thinking of a movie that's a rip off of that terrible rip off was funny. But two underwater films in a row?

Edit: I really wish they wouldn't keep announcing "Celebrating our thirtieth year!" It's making me feel old. :(

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 22, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So despite claims, Lords of the Deep was not a Deep Star Six rip off. Deep Star Six is worse than it. It's definitely a third-tier Abyss knock-off, though. While it doesn't have as much "action" as Atlantic Rim, Lords of the Deep is more earnest and as a result it's a lot more watchablely goofy and the riffs more fun. I definitely was not expecting to go beyond the infinite in the movie.

The blanking of the minor swearing is getting on my nerves. I know they're doing that to try to keep the show as family friendly as possible, but I think having a character say "drat" or "rear end" isn't going to scar children.

I'm making up a batch of cookies before the next movie. I'm anticipating a lot of fun based on the title "The Day the Time Ended".

Compendium posted:

What the gently caress is Mac and Me

Obviously it's Mysterious Alien Creature and McDonalds.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm only on the show opening, but magic glowing codpiece is telling me The Day Time Ended is going to be a winner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mangler103 posted:

They've definitely bleeped a 'bitch' here or there. That might be the cutoff.

Yeah, a "bitch" was definitely dropped out in Atlantic Rim. Maybe the character in Lords of the Deep said "Open the loving door", but the pause was about right for "drat".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

I really bounced off that movie; the characters were uninteresting and I kept waiting for the plot to start (and then the movie ended). The mid-episode host segment summed it up best: this was just a series of concepts thrown into a blender.

Yeah, the concept of what feels like the American remake Pod People sounds like it has potential and there's a lot of weird terrible stuff in the movie but that is a slooooooooow opening and the movie was completely pointless. I think it got weird enough even if time never actually ended and the riffing stayed cool. "You know what this is, don't you? It's a time-space warp." is one of the weirdest lines delivered straight.

I had to keep getting up every twelve minutes to switch over my cookies which really interrupts the flow of things. Now I have to prepare a potpie for dinner before starting Killer Fish. Which I realize as I type that sounds incredibly sad but the other person arriving tonight before our big meal tomorrow likes pot pies and I'm making it from scratch, not reheating a frozen pot pie for my Thanksgiving dinner because I am such a horrible person to all my relations that I have been disinvited to all of their Thanksgiving dinners.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For a movie about people trapped on a lake filled with mysterious Brazilian Killer Fish, there were a lot of people sticking their hands in the water. You do get a lovely heist movie mixed with a lovely animal attack movie, though. I don't think I cared for the running gag of interrupting the attack scenes this episode, though I guess they wanted to do that rather than keep making jokes about people being ripped apart by fish.

Only Ator left. The first time MST3k has followed Rifftrax! Who will win in this confrontation?

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought the episode was good, but the movie was just so wretched I had a hard time focusing on the jokes. It's just kind of baffling to me what they thought they were making with that film.

The Day Time Stopped feels like the Monster-a-Go-Go of the season. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I survived the gauntlet!

Thoughts after the season: better produced than S11 since they didn't have the rough learning curve again. However, other than Mac and Me the film selection wasn't as solid. S11 had around four dream movies for episodes that fans had been talking about needing to be on MST3K since the original series was on the air plus a few great discoveries. S12 had the amazing get of Mac and Me but the other movies weren't as magical. I mean, the second "best" movie for riffing this season was probably Lords of the Deep and that's a pretty big step down.

Mac and Me is an absolute classic episode. Lords of the Deep and Ator were pretty good. The Day Time Stopped and Killer Fish were decent. Atlantic Rim was fine.

Hogama posted:

Technically the second time - Wizards of the Lost Kingdom was a Rifftrax before the MST3K episode. It got pulled very quickly, though - went up for sale mid-March 2016, and was delisted by the end of the same month.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313115709/https://www.rifftrax.com/wizards-of-the-lost-kingdom

I completely missed that. The Rifftrax version of Ator is up right now for streaming with Amazon Prime, though, so it's not pulled quite yet.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Lords of the Deep. There it is, a movie worse than Sphere.

Whoa there. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'd love for them to do more terrible 70's disaster movies, which is probably most of them that aren't The Towering Inferno or the Poseidon Adventure.

Meteor has Sean Connery which should be good for some riffs. And of course Earthquake is in Sensaround!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

did they expand the live tour or something because apparently they're coming to kansas city and I had no idea

When they announced the tour they said there would be a Kansas City date that would be in the early batch of shows, but didn't have a date or venue. It took them a couple of months to add the show to the listing.

I would have gone to that one, except Covid got bad again and I don't want to go to a live event right now. :sigh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

If somebody with Gizmoplex access misses the show tonight, will it be available after? Does it immediately go to on-demand, or do we have to wait until May if we can't watch during the stream tonight?

They said it will be available to stream immediately afterward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Joel was only coming through on the center channel for me with very low audio. Then it suddenly jumped in volume while I was fiddling to make sure my receiver wasn't broken.

Edit: well, the two seconds of audio from the show I'm getting at a time are coming through correctly. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can honestly say this is going about as well as I expected for a streaming video launch with five digit viewership.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently, they renamed a character to GPC, from the bit of the Robot Roll Call we seen. Don't know when that happened, but probably for the best.

I think she's been GPC for the whole revival. Yeah the name was a tribute to a real woman, but it was the right choice.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Wish we could get some library music in here to fill the silence

Will you accept frantic typing?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The episode is clearly playing SOMEWHERE because it is in a different part each time we cut back.

You have to be physically in the Gizmoplex to watch the episode. Everyone else just gets the glimpse as someone steps out to the lobby for popcorn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So Santo just has sparkly jumpsuits handy?

Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Count Alucard? Any relation to the video game Alucard?