Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Horrors of Spider Island and Pod People have special places in my heart for me (the former being the only episode I saw on TV and the latter being the first episode I saw on tape), but I think the episode I like the most is Escape 2000. The riffing is on-point and it's just such a weird hybrid of Escape from New York and The Warriors that ends up being really bleak but perfect for savaging. I'm also partial to the two Fugitive Alien "films".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

perhaps they meant this?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

castleton is a real university located in the vicinity of rutland, vermont where the film was made, so the "official" time chasers shirt is itself a knockoff...

I know it's a real University, but at the time that Time Chasers was made, that was the shirt design. So it's a knockoff, yes, but an accurate one?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hogama posted:

Oh, Charles Manson walks our streets
The Zodiac Killer's at large
Charles Bukowski is pukin' out the window and
Santa Claus is on his way

"Merry Christmas, everyone, let's go to the HAUNTED HOUSE!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This scene is worth at least three box tops.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We're going to have The Sex! :v:

The Wife is sure going to be happy to see The Me :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

"If we're ever attacked by a white rectangle, the Air Force has it covered."

"Refueling is a beautiful, natural thing that is nothing to mock."

Oh and the overarching "Crow gets on the information superhighway" bits probably strike a cord with anyone who had a computer in the early 90's. Great stuff.

Being a broken, strange little man, I can't go a day without watching MST3K. Last night I tried to get through The Crawling Hand again. It would have been a great movie for later seasons. I didn't finish it.

For whatever reason the two riffs that make me laugh just thinking about them from Crawling Hand are the fight in the Malt Shop ("No Zombies, not allowed! No Strangling...music's cool though") and whoever shouted out "HI I'M ROLAND GIFT FROM THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBAAAAAAALS!" in response to Joel saying the main character now looks like Roland Gift just because of how goofy that voice is. I really liked Crawling Hand despite the obvious roughness of Season 1, though I first saw it when I'd maybe only seen 6 or so episodes thanks to tapes\DVDs so that might have something to do with it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's quiet on this side of the tub.

The Ty-D-Bowl man is doing all right for himself

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Okay, The Screaming Skull is my new low-key favorite episode nobody talks about.

"Everyone loves a slink-skull"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember when people would say "don't worry, Sharknado is great because they made it bad on purpose" as if that was somehow supposed to excuse it being garbage. Now that we're up to like 4 of them nobody is saying that anymore thankfully.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Tap-tap-tap I KEEP POPULAR MECHANICS UNDER MY MATTRESS

:crossarms: "But what about girls, young man?
:buddy: "no, no...chisel"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:mad: Brooks and Dunn!...BROOKS AND DUNN!!

:v: Wynnona!

This exchange inevitably happens whenever my friend and I tune any radio to 106.3 Frank FM up in southern New Hampshire, even though it's more a classic rock station

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JoeCL posted:

Kitten with a Whip is almost good, except the protagonist is so dull. Ann Margaret and her beatnik buddies chew scenery the whole movie while John Forsythe plays the most boring man alive, who is somehow a Senate candidate.

Have you seen some of the people who became US Senators? :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

You guys are thinking of Agent from H.A.R.M. I'm going to have to threaten you with the tiny sausage gun now.

"Top knot seems to be in flames, old trench!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Fun fact is that the opening really did have nothing to do with anything and according to Tony Cardoza it was just something that Coleman Francis wanted to film.

"If you see anything, film it and we'll throw it in"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

The guy who played JK Robertson in Time Chasers, though, he's my favorite example of someone completely not able to take a joke. He was incredibly offended anyone would mock a distinguished actor like himself (no, really).

Was It JK's actor who had the problem? I thought it was Matt's actor (a.k.a. Pink Boy a.k.a. Michael Medved).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

luxury handset posted:

the running time for beast of yucca flats is under an hour and it doesn't even have recorded sound. francis didn't have a mic to record any dialogue which is why it's all shouted from offscreen or narrated. it is barely a movie

This probably explains why he padded out his next two movies with a whole lot of goddamn nothing going on. And smoking, and coffee, and sexual assault, and parachuting, and more light aircraft, and extended music/dance party sequences, and people shooting from light aircraft, etc.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Bay of Pigs"
"That's what they call it when I go swimming"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

You'd be mean too if you saw baby oil that close to Joe Don.

"Why would anybody do this with Mitchell, Joel?"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hogama posted:

They weren't very kind to Invasion of the Neptune Men.

Hey it was asking for it, using the Hitler Building and all.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And Special Thank, to EAT!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jet Jaguar posted:

This like and the about “his pants are gonna be Kreusened” really got me this time.

"Free Beer! LICK THE BIKE!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Then my MIIINND got pregnant and had stretch marks!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Here's a puzzler for you: which, among these two, is worse at their respective craft?"

".........................that's deep, man"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fezz posted:

Yeah. He sucks. Talk about something aging poorly. Those poor animals.

The follow-up host segment must've been so cathartic.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

So what's the darkest episode, in terms of riffs. I watched the Painted Hills last night, and Jesus, it got really dark in places. Especially with all the poisoning and murder going around.

Who knew Lassie was a cold blooded killer.

Sidehackers is pretty dark even with the rape scene removed, and of course there's High School Big Shot, which ends with a suicide and several shootings.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Why don't they look?
:(
OH MAD SCIENTISTS! Yeah you can have a lotta fun with mad scientists...UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peacoffee posted:

Torgo is probably working somewhere in the current U.S. Administration

ICE Agent Torgo: ThE M-m-AsTeR sAyS yOu CaN't s-StAy HeRe!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The pie doesn't make you want to kill yourself, want some?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Razorback Head lacks the quiet dignity of the Cheese Wedge

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hogama posted:

They also tended to make fun of Asian accents, particularly Japanese

I don't really remember this that much (mostly I remember them making fun of all the bad dub voices in Japanese movies, i.e. "We like it very much!" from Prince of Space), but I do remember in The Skydivers them getting audibly pissed at the song by the in-movie band that literally used the Oriental Riff followed by the Drummer going "Ah, so". In conclusion, MST3K is a land of contrasts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

It isn't stock footage, it's a miniature of the Tokyo Cultural Hall. It was advertising a Swedish documentary called Mein Kampf, which is what the lettering above Hitler says.

Ok so someone built a miniature of the Tokyo Cultural Hall, and put an advertisement for a Hitler Documentary on it, and then blew it up.

This makes even less sense than it being WWII stock footage :psyduck:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

The movie does have some really good effects, but I think people assume this is real because they can’t imagine anyone would build it as a miniature. I guess the filmmakers wanted it as realistic as possible, Hitler advertisement and all.

You do wonder why it wasn’t edited from the American version, but considering how much footage they recycled to lengthen the movie, we’re lucky they didn’t show it twice.

I think it's more the Hitler Documentary Advertisement part that still gets to me. I guess it was a thing that was happening at the time, but drat. Just seems like an odd choice if you're going for accuracy, i'm sure the cultural center had other advertisements at other times around then.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Prince of Space was made from two TV movies, so maybe that same channel was airing the Hitler doc and snuck it onto the model for some cross-promotion :shrug:

You mean Invasion of the Neptune Man. Prince of Space is Nazi-free as far as I can remember :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

DON'T YOU BE GIVIN' MIKEY NO MATCHES!!!

I DON'T CARE IF MIKEY COME CRAWLING IN THROUGH YOUR WINDOW, STARK NAKED WITH A BIG OLD KNIFE! DON'T YOU GIVE NO MATCHES TO MIKEY! DON'T YOU GIVE NO MATCHES!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sting, Debbie Reynolds, and God.

Oi!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Creeping Terror is also pretty unwatchable

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Death Race 2000 is a legitimately good Corman movie.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ms Boods posted:

The whole submarine sequence from Danger: Death Ray. On initial viewing, another one that left me breathless from laughing.

The little amused giggle after "Special effects by Billy!" is so perfect as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

The ocean is beautiful in this part of the tub.

Don't go up there, you'll become a toy :ohdear: