Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If you're worried about the future of MST3k, just keep these words of wisdom in mind; don't crap in your hand, crap in your poopy suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
There's a part at the end of Gamera Vs. Gaos where Crow mentions all of the people who wrote in saying they'd like to see Japanese monster movies on the show. I was one of those people.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Rollersnake posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised there are issues with Rocketship X-M and Diabolik, as all the other "plot-relevant" episodes have been out for a while now. It's a shame about Rocketship X-M in particular, as that was the first episode I ever saw, and it's still one of my favorites. An official release of that episode would be an insta-buy for me.

Rocketship X-M was the first episode I saw with my dad and the reason he's as big a fan of MST3K as I am. The only reason he even watched it was because I got in an argument with my sister over what to watch that night, and he decided sacrificing his own TV time was better than listening to us yell at each other. After that, it turned into a tradition for us to order a pizza and watch MST together every Saturday night.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Ms Boods posted:

For me, it's Tom's 'End. End. ENNNNDDDD' in Batwoman.

I can't say "onions" properly because of Track of the Moon Beast. Every time I want to order onions on something, or God forbid if I'm actually describing the ingredients in something and it has onions in it...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If they do shorts, I hope they dip into the deep well that is 80s anti-drug shorts. Granted, they're usually longer than the 10-minute shorts from the 50s that they usually used, but they'd definitely be a goldmine for the show.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

muscles like this? posted:

Mitchell is such a good riff.

"Hey, a sex film!"

Joel's shocked "WHAT??" as Mitchell's gun falls down through the leg of his pants is hilarious.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Datacorp, providing personnel decisions in management consulting for exploiting your core competencies with an eye towards productivity and connectivity.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Speaking of cards, I still have my membership card from the MST3K Fan Club that I got almost 30 years ago.

Held together by lamination, scotch tape, and pure force of will.

Please don't use my member number to track down my real name.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

muscles like this? posted:

The best part of The Violent Years was the scene where some Communists pay them to smash up the school. Because that was totally a thing that was happening.

My favorite part of The Violent Years was at the very beginning where the girls walk past a chalkboard with a bunch of positive traits written on it and, one by one, mockingly dismiss them. It's the sort of thing the people who make parody wish they could do as well, and it was done sincerely.

Just about all of them looked at the camera while doing it, too.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I wonder how they'll explain the new voices (if at all).

Joel mentioned in Soultaker that Crow must've changed his bowling pin, so it'll probably be something along those lines.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Atheris posted:

Not really. Is there anything keeping random people from adding episodes? I also couldn't find any references to one of the movies they list beyond "the director's been trying to make this for years." Though I'd be kind of disappointed if it's fake, because it looks like a pretty solid line-up.

If you want to spoil yourself, I've got IMDb links:

Reptilicus - 1961 giant monster movie
Cry Wilderness - 1987, kid meets Bigfoot, tries to keep him secret
Time Travelers - might be this 1966 TV movie, or maybe this 1976 TV movie
Avalanche - could be one of several, but from the dates and synopses I'd guess this one from 1946, maybe the one from 1978
The Beast of Hollow Mountain - 1956 giant monster movie
Starcrash - 1978 sci-fi action movie
The Land That Time Forgot 1974 sci-fi adventure
Hercules - the 1983 version, probably
Yongary, Monster from the Deep 1967 Korean giant monster movie
Wizards 1 - maybe this? 1977 animated fantasy. Seems unlikely.
Wizards 2 - no idea
Carnival Magic 1981 fantasy with a talking chimp
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't 1966 family movie
At The Earth's Core 1976 sci-fi adventure

I'm really looking forward to Reptilicus, Yongary, and Star Crash.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Funky Valentine posted:

I think one can figure out how the American auto industry died by watching this short.

To be fair, listening to crazy old men wearing handkerchiefs on their heads worked really well for a while.

e: "Every frame of this movie looks like someone's last known photograph" is one of my all-time favorite riffs.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This skit made me self-conscious about my large forearms. :(

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Joel hugging Jonah warmed my heart to its core. :kimchi:

Happy Turkey Day, everyone.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Calgon's Cuties.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Oh, no! She's...

... Ew, she fat. Eugh.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Duckbag posted:

I should rewatch that one, actually, I remember it having some amazing riffs. Another favorite "MSTies encounter racism" moment was their exasperation upon seeing the "African" boys and girls in that Santa Claus movie.

I remember them being pretty frustrated with the depiction of Africans in The Leech Woman, too.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That bastard's speaking through our omelette pan! :argh:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
One of the worst movies they ever did that doesn't get as much recognition is Rocket Attack USA. I remember it being one of the first movies on MST3K that made me think "this is the worst movie I've ever seen." I figure it just got overshadowed by things like Manos and Fu Manchu, but it really is a piece of crap.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mister Kingdom posted:

High School Big Shot gives it a run for its money.

High School Big Shot is what happens when I Accuse my Parents grows up and becomes bitter and jaded.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
You must remember this
My liver has been pierced!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I spent the week going through the new episodes, and overall I was really happy with what they did.

Here are some of my thoughts:

-Everyone did a great job. The cast clearly cared about this project and they brought their a-game to prove it.

-On the other hand, it feels like they're dedicating less time to the parts outside of the theater than the original MST3K did. Some of the skits they did, especially the invention exchanges, felt like they were done as afterthoughts.

-Likewise, the guest stars were, for the most part, pretty good, but they could have done more with them. The exception is Mark Hamill, who was utterly amazing.

-The pacing of the riffs feels faster than the original MST3K, giving things a more high-energy feel than with Joel or Mike.

-Crow and Tom's voices are a little too similar, it made it difficult to tell them apart in the theater if you weren't paying close enough attention.

-They had a really nice variety of movies spread out over many genres. Fantasy, scifi, 70s disaster, whatever the Hell that bigfoot movie was.

-There were not one, but two giant monster movies from somewhere other than Japan.

-When I saw Joel show up dressed like Santa, it did make me smile like a little kid on Christmas day.

-I love the new hallway sequence.

-I never stopped laughing at Jonah's legs sticking out of the tube every time he was pulled into it for the opening.

In the end, they did an excellent job. I had really high hopes and standards for MST3K's return, and they were well met.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

ja2ke posted:

First it was actually Dr Forrester and Dr Erhardt (played by Josh Weinstein, who also voiced Servo). Erhardt left once Season One was off the air, and TV's Frank showed up as the new minion at the start of Season Two (I don't know if there's a canonical reason for why one left and the other started).

In the season three episode "Earth vs. the Spider", a giant spider kills someone who sort of looks like Weinstein. It's more-or-less been accepted that his character ended up the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUQ78kozjk&t=2561s

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The home economics short from the Viking Women episode doesn't get enough love. Along with being filled with hilarious riffs, it's a downright quaint little window into the roles and expectations of women in the time it was made.

Spacebump posted:

I had only watched a handful of MST3k episodes as a kid and wanted more after watching the revival. The first old one I watched was Time of the Apes. The ending of that movie makes no sense with the cuts they made. (and from reading what was cut online, still doesn't really make sense.) Any must see classic episodes? (I don't care what era of the show they are from.)

Along with what everyone else has recommended, you should watch the rest of the Sandy Frank movies, especially the Fugitive Alien movies. Fugitive Alien gave us one of the show's most beloved musical bits.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Now make way for the KLU KLUX KLOWN!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
A rogue elephant snaps its tether and kills a coolie!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Has anyone seen Timmy?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

He's a failure, what a loser, la la la...

The first time I saw that part of this episode, I laughed so hard I almost passed out.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's good to see that Joel's taking care of himself.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Do you have to go to school to learn how to act like that?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"Sold my hair? No..."

Was there ever any kind of followup to this? I've always wondered about it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I've always felt that the Girl in Lover's Lane is an underrated episode, so I was glad to see it in this year's lineup.

e: also season 12 :dance:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Ms Boods posted:

I love Big Stupid, plus he's keen on the weird, surreal films like The Day the Earth Froze (he'd watch them unMST3K'd).

The Russo-Finnish movies they showed on MST3K were all beautiful, even if they lost something in the translation*.

*: He's not Sinbad.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Hogama posted:

He gets startled by Puma (Yo-Yo Ma?) screeching while he's trying to loot a ring off a corpse for his frat initiation, turns to flee, gets his coat caught on the corpse's hand, and then basically has a fatal freakout. Heart attack or something, probably.

The setup was that he had a reputation for being fearless, but when he was a kid he was traumatized by seeing a dead relative in their coffin, so he was terrified of corpses.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

crimedog posted:

I also laughed a lot during Hercules.

My favorite part of that movie is at the end when a tree person is strangling the queen, and her old advisor starts condemning her like they didn't know each other.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Hey, who's that guy with the...

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

thelaughingman posted:

Just watched side hackers for the first time. What the hell kind of ending was that!?

You think the ending's bad, wait until you hear about the scenes they had to cut out to make it appropriate for the show.

That film was a learning experience for MST3K about screening their films beforehand.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The Japanese monster movies were fine, all things considered, and I enjoyed watching them on their own as much as I did on MST3K.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

TerminalSaint posted:

The Beast of Hollow Mountain was a decent western up until the whole dinosaur thing.

It isn't even the only Western with stop-motion dinosaurs out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyl4MUYHvrk

This is one of my favorite movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
One of my all-time favorites is the Murder Mystery Dinner Party skit from Bloodlust, mostly for how Mike reacts to Crow ruining it.