Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
A waihr-wilf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ballz posted:

Showed him the pic and he doesn't think so. He says it was bat wings on the forehead of the helmet and that Joel/Mike and the bots had a field day with it.

He again reiterated it was black and white. It's driving me nuts too, because it does sound familiar but this may be turning into a Shazaam thing.

It could be The Sword and the Dragon/Ilyo Muromets, which was by the same director as Sampo and Sadko. The villain looked like this:

Edit: If it is in B&W like he remembers, maybe Viking Women and the Sea Serpent? Been a long time since I've seen that one.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 4, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Could he be thinking of the Undersea Kingdom shorts? B&W, lots of goofy helmets...

Edit: Maybe he was remembering the hero's helmet in the later installments:

Edit 2: I scanned through Viking Women, and the villain just has a simple furry helmet with a spike on top.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 4, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Burkion posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the show to start making fun of privileged white men, and stupid geeks to froth at the mouth about how they've clearly sold out to the SJWscum and how this isn't real MST3K anymore.

Mostly because that means they never watched Catching Danger and that invalidates any claim they have of being a fan

Do you mean Catching Trouble, the animal abuse short?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Burkion posted:

Not going to lie, Catching Trouble would be way, waaaaaaay better if that stupid little music riff played every time an animal was abused

Agreed.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

BigRed0427 posted:

Stright up, that movie has no plot. It's a strong contender for today be of the worst things they want Chex, behind Manos and Monster A Go Go.

This may be my favorite autocorrect error ever.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The problem is every other movie has creepy old hypnotists. Try Devil Doll, She Creature, The Undead.

Or Operation Double 007, or I Was A Teenage Werewolf.

Jeez, hypnosis was like the go-to plot device for everything for a couple decades.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bicyclops posted:

I'd forgotten Hercules vs. the Moon Men was the "DEEEEEEP HURTIIIIIING!" episode.

SAAANDSTOOORM

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Pinwiz11 posted:

I love Mike doing that bullshit CD marker nonsense too.

Mind explaining that one for me? It didn't look like he was pretending to label it, so I assume it's a reference to some kind of audiophile placebo.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Powered Descent posted:

The recital by the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus, directed by United Servo Academy Men's Choral Director, Vice-Brigadier Sir Thomas "Bullhead" Servo, performing the United Servo Academy Men's Chorus Hymn, makes up for any failings the experiment may have. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ree220FiOEg

This, as well as the Cowboys Mike's Ricochet Barbecue Sauce, which remains one of my all-time favorites.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Werewolf is a fun one. I'm in the middle of watching Puma Man too. Am I wrong or is the implication at the beginning that the big buff guy was just randomly throwing people out of windows to their deaths until he finds the Puma Man?

That's meant to be a red herring, and it's actually the villain's henchmen that were doing it to everyone else, and the big buff guy only threw out the hero because he KNEW he was the Pumaman.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Nobody likes Swamp Diamonds and it's one of my favorites :(

I like Swamp Diamonds.

Roger Corman films are always fascinating, because they get so close to being decent, you feel that maybe he actually has some talent as a filmmaker, but his priority on churning out his films as cheaply and quickly as possible has always been his fatal flaw.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that the one that ends with the sub drilling into Ghidorah and the guy getting stuck inside?

It's Godzilla, and he doesn't drill inside as much as he pilots his sub into his mouth and gets swallowed, then escapes through a hole in his shoulder created by a drill missile.

But yeah, that one.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

InfiniteZero posted:

I once spoke to Luigi Cozzi (aka Lewis Coates) about Starcrash (*) and the basic answer to any continuity or logic question is "because it was fun to do that". He's the directorial embodiment of the "you should really just relax" line from the MST3K song. He's a cool dude.

(*) you can too if you're in Rome - he runs a horror shop with Dario Argento (it's called "Profondo Rosso") and he's often there and he's very amicable and ready to talk about his stuff or movies in general ... I highly recommend taking a tour of the basement where they keep a bunch of movie props from his and Argento's films (including the robots from Starcrash!)

poo poo, I was in Rome last week, and according to Google Maps, I was only a few blocks from here. Wish I had known about this earlier.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ja2ke posted:

Which way's wrong?

All of them.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jose Oquendo posted:

Everything about the new season is rushed and half-assed and it shows.

Rushed is correct; almost all of the common criticisms I've seen are directly related to the fact that the entire season had to be shot in two weeks.

"Half-assed" is pretty disingenuous, though; the same as complaints of "trying too hard". Both are empty criticisms that boil down to "I don't like it."

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

They're both things said by people trying to identify an objective reason for their dislikes, but who lack enough understanding of what their criticizing to offer anything useful. They're plenty of things to criticize the new season about, but I keep seeing people say 'half-assed' and 'too hard' and stopping there, as if they actually meant something, and it bugs that crap out of me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, I liked, but it's not on the same level as the original.

I never even insinuated that it was, and I'm not sure what this response has to do with my complaint of lazy criticism.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

rydiafan posted:

My big takeaway yesterday was that I've always pronounced Trace Beaulieu's name wrong. I've always said "Boe Lee Oh" but apparently it's "Bah Loo", like the bear.

I'm so ashamed. :(

On the intro to his podcast, Trace pronounces is 'Bowl-Ewe'.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

rydiafan posted:

Ok, maybe I slightly misheard Kevin Murphy yesterday, but the point is I was miles off originally.

Fun fact: I pronounce my last name differently than my father simply out of preference. It's one of the last names that no one else pronounces right on their first try anyways, so I stopped caring about authenticity.

Point is, don't beat yourself up about it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I STILL DON'T KNOW IF CORN IS A GRASS.

http://billcorbett.tumblr.com/post/28450247475/yes

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My favorite season for host segments is hands down Season 6. Texas Mike's Ricochet BBQ Sauce, A Joke By Igmar Bergman, the Deep 13 B&B and the Llama Farm, and the audiophile sketch from The Creeping Terror, all crack my up no matter how many times I watch them. I think it's a combination of Frank Conniff's writing and Mike Nelson's acting, as well as the fact that Season 6 was when Mike was really developing his own schtick after having to take over midway through 5.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Cemetry Gator posted:

All this talk about great host segments and nobody mentions the Canada Bashing Song or Tom Servo's Death Ray (which he has only for peaceful purposes?)

Narsham posted:

Tom's Death Ray never gets old. "I gotta admit, it is pretty funny..."

Bicyclops posted:

...as do most of the musical numbers from the Sci Fi years. Tom getting madder and madder at Canada is good stuff.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently Shout Factory just bought the entirety of Roger Corman's film library, that definitely will be a boost for MST3K

Jesus Christ, that is a LOT of movies.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:captainpop:
There isn’t a single part of this that doesn’t sound amazing

I've watched it, and somehow the filmmakers managed to make even that concept boring as hell. And this is coming from someone who grew up watching unriffed early Gamera films.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Conan the Destroyer is redeemed in my eyes solely due to the presence of Grace Jones.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Powered Descent posted:

Also, the "that's not real mst3k" stuff reminds me of nothing so much as the slapfight on Usenet over Joel vs. Mike, from the mid-90s. They'll come around. Today there are approximately zero people who are still against Mike. Nothing's changed at all.

Also Comedy Central era vs Sci-fi Channel era. I used to have a friend who was also a big MSTie, and when we were discussing favorite episodes, I mentioned classics like Pumaman, Werewolf, and Space Mutiny. His response was "I don't watch that era because Bobo and Brain Guy are stupid." This was mid to late '00s. Nerd snobs never change.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Larryb posted:

Mike + Dr. Forrester and Frank is probably when the show was at it's best in my opinion...

I've made this point before in this thread, but this era (especially S6) has in my opinion the best host segments of the entire series.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

business hammocks posted:

My only real opinion is that Trace and Mary Jo are the weakest mad pairing, but they’re not debilitating to the show. The characters just don’t play off of each other right.

I can agree with that. Also Pearl didn't become that interesting of a character until the reboot when she got to be more than just Clayton's mother.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Powered Descent posted:

I thought Rifftrax didn't necessarily need to get any rights at all. That's what made it viable in the first place. All they're selling you is an audio track of three guys saying things, things which sync up into jokes when watched with a particular movie, which the viewer has to provide. It's nice when they DO get the rights to stream the whole thing together as one, but they don't need anyone's permission to distribute an audio file of three guys talking.

He's talking about the live shows, where they have to secure broadcast rights in order to stream it in theaters.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mr. Fowl posted:

Inframan is good enough to watch on its own. It's an amazing film.

As for a movie from within the past five years...Neil Breen's Fateful Findings was filmed in 2013.

I feel like we may have a winner..

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dixville posted:

Crap now I have that song stuck in my head

I didn't until you mentioned it, and now go politely to hell.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I guess I'm the outlier who doesn't enjoy the B&W teenage morality films that much. I mean yeah, its prime riffing material, but the films themselves are almost painful for me to sit through, even with A-tier riffing. I think its because I just can't shut off the part of my brain that gets angry at what was considered mainstream morality in that era. Teenage Crime Wave is one of the worst for me, because how little the film addresses the fact that the protagonist gets screwed by the system and her parents (ironically due to that antiquated morality the film is promoting), then says 'well it all worked out for her in the end, so keep being good I guess.'

The only one I really enjoyed was Girls' Town, and that's mainly because the titular institution is actually pretty progressive by standards of that era.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dawgstar posted:

I see what you did there.

You do? Because I sure don't.

For content, while I got into MST3K via their giant monster episodes, my favorites are the Italian films. Particularly the spy/crime thrillers i.e. Secret Agent Super Dragon, Danger Death Ray, Operation Double 007, and Diabolik, but also the genre knockoffs like Warrior of the Lost World, Escape 2000, Pumaman, and all of the CC-era Hercules films. I'm really happy that the revival got Starcrash and The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, and really hope they continue to get more for future seasons.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Ah, I forgot all about Devil Fish. And Rifftrax did The Last Shark and The Bermuda Triangle, which were both great.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Reince Penis posted:

Also the guy who played the Club SCUM bouncer 'Roadrash' had a speaking roll in Pulp Fiction :eng101:

And the girl who played the club's hostess was the original VA for Harley Quinn.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Not unless BTAS hired someone before Arleen Sorkin but never used her.

Huh, my mistake then. Could have sworn...

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Powered Descent posted:

In fairness, the MST version did have to chop out a total of 20 minutes from the film. I have yet to see the uncut version but my understanding is that nothing of importance happens in those 20 minutes anyway. The Metaluna sequence is a little less rushed but the characters still don't do anything of importance.

I watched it a few times as a kid before the MST3K version, and most of the edited material took place in the mansion, building up the 'mystery' surrounding Exeter and Brak, and giving the Professor some token development before they blow him up. There is also a longer space battle (or what passes for one) between the Metalunan ship and the Zagons en route.

I don't actually remember anything being cut after the arrive at Metaluna; I think that act was always that rushed. Edit: Or I'm wrong.

It should be noted that it was a very well received film when it was released, but it has aged very poorly when compared to contemporaries like War of the Worlds and Forbidden Planet.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 29, 2018

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

All of the Godzilla and Gamera films, Lost Continent, Earth vs the Spider, This Island Earth, Deadly Mantis, Gorgo, Reptilicus, Land that Time Forgot, At The Earth's Core.
Also, Phase IV and Legend of Dinosaurs from the KTMA season, but I've never actually sat trough a KTMA episode. I also saw Wizards of the Lost Kingdom I as a Rifftrax VOD before they pulled it, but that probably doesn't count.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, but even then, with music and movies, there's at least a cleverness in the execution to let us know it's supposed to be "bad".

When I think of failed experiments like that, I always think of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. I mean "I SLEEP NOW" will always make me laugh, but the rest of the movie only got a few weak chuckles and overall felt tedious to me. It was an attempt to make something deliberately "bad" and instead they ended up with BAD. But still, you always *knew* what they were going for even if they missed the mark.

I thought Lost Skeleton of Cadavra was great, minus a couple of scenes that didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Egbert Souse posted:

The Brain LIVE has my new favorite recurring riff

BANG

I'm a big fan of the recurring riff from Deathstalker 2.

:spit take: PREGNANT?!