Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paper Kaiju posted:

Roger Corman films are always fascinating, because they get so close to being decent, you feel that maybe he actually has some talent as a filmmaker, but his priority on churning out his films as cheaply and quickly as possible has always been his fatal flaw.

roger corman totally is a decent filmmaker, you're looking at it backwards

he starts with trying to make the cheapest movies possible, the fact that they're then watchable is a testament to his skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HungryMedusa posted:

I can't get through Invasion of the Neptune Men. gently caress you Space Chief!

space chief was one of sonny chiba's first roles so you can add him to the mst3k celebs spotting list at least

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was it prince of space or the Neptune men where the cast was enraged at the movie's inclusion of WW2 bombing footage for like no reason at all

neptune men. prince of space is at least sort of watchable for the first half because of the insane translations

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

They tend to do movies that don't have a lot of entertainment value on their own. Things you can watch, even ironically, without them don't tend to be in their wheelhouse. There are better or worse films they've done, but that seems to be the general pattern.

counterpoint: time chasers is extremely watchable

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
rewatching pod people for the first time in ages - it was my most viewed episode when i was a kid because it was the first i got on vhs

i never noticed that the opening credit footage is from a completely different movie, but that movie was galaxy invader!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3iIKeAg3Qw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unkempt posted:

I've never seen ROTOR and hey, it's on amazon prime!

...what the gently caress is this

rotor is the perfect lovely 80's movie. everything about it is incredible

personally i like early romance b plot where coldiron quits his job, they have a leisurely lunch, then they go back to her place for a steak dinner, then coldiron runs off to do some errands, stops a robbery, and the girlfriend is absent from the last half of the movie

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
there's a lot of good lovely film endings, rotor is among the best but it's a tough field. two of them are from the same best of the worst episode

blood debts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ32JchVno

undefeatable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Don't spoil the payoff, but do they ever explain the Gypsy/bucket thing that keeps happening? Two episodes in and it's...ok it's not distracting, but because it keeps happening, my curiosity is starting to boil over.

Although her one off riffs are great. "Now you're Mister Filing Cabinet!"

i'm guessing they're building up for a later joke. the gypsy and flying tom stuff was a little distracting at first but i think of this new season as firmly joel in charge, and joel always liked visual gags and interacting with the screen. i wonder how much of this stuff is things he always wanted to do with mst3k, like make it more of a self aware stage production, but he never had the budget or creative control to accomplish

General Dog posted:

I'm on episode 1 right now and the riffing doesn't really seem much faster paced to me than the original. Not really sure how much I care for the mads yet, but like several other people have said, the tone of the riffing seems pretty much spot-on with classic MST3K. Good show, great job.

joel era riffs were kind of slow, the later mike era riffs got pretty fast, but imo i agree with folks who are saying it's too fast now. they have to speak so quickly i can't always catch the riff. i'd prefer it if they slowed down a little but it's a minor annoyance at worst

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
riding with death has a lot of weed jokes too, or at least talk about how mellow the 70's are

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BJPaskoff posted:

It's really interesting how they mostly avoid the obvious dirty jokes. I used to think it was just a product of the time that they couldn't get too obscene on cable, but now I believe it's just their style of humor. It's probably for the better, a lesser movie riffing group would probably lean too heavily on the easy dirty comments.

it's also just lazy. this is a show that drops obscure literature references and some super deep cut material, they dont need to resort to cheap insults

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rollersnake posted:

Also Steve Franken (Danny in Time Travelers, Henry in Avalanche) is giving me a severe case of "he looks so familiar, but IMDB confirms I haven't seen him in anything else, so who is he reminding me of" syndrome.

he reminds me of gene wilder

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

What does Gypsy keep taking up and down at the beginning/middle of the movies? A lunch box?

the movie is delivered via some weird liquid technology, and in the opening credits jonah is shot into the theater from a tube approximately where gypsy drops down and places the payload. i'm assuming it's a bucket to collect the leaked liquid bad movie. a nice absurd reason to have gypsy come into the theater for the occasional riff since she's otherwise ostensibly running the sol's systems and is too busy keeping everyone alive to riff

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mangler103 posted:

Imagining that many of the batshit crazy MST3K movies were only made to satisfy some writer or directors bizarre fetish somehow makes more sense than these movies being made for a general audiences entertainment.

manos: the hands of fate resulted from a literal bet that the guy who made the film couldn't make a film. to his credit, he won the bet

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bongwizzard posted:

I am trying to like the new season and while the movie bits are decent so far, the skits are so painfully bad. Like, where people really clamouring for musical numbers? They are so awful.

awkward musical numbers have long been a part of the mst3k style

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nerdman42 posted:

Am I remembering wrong, or is there a lot more singing this season than in the old ones? I'm not complaining, I just think its an interesting part of Jonah's style

i think the singing was always something joel pushed, it seemed to drop off during the sci-fi years and now that joel's back behind the wheel...

like my personal impression is that joel mst3k is more of a whimsical sesame street style puppet show with bad movies and once he was gone it became all about the riffs for better or worse (barring network intervention)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 is such a classic episode in large part because the film, on its own, is loving hilarious and not really "bad" the way that say Manos is "bad" (where bad means more "boring/incoherent" than anything)

oh my god no. wizards 2 was dog poo poo

i think what bothered me so much about it was just how little everyone involved cared

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chokes McGee posted:

Add Jack Frost to the list.

Do not watch Future War under any circumstance, even being held at gunpoint. You've been warned.

future war has Robert loving Z'Dar in it, gently caress you!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keromaru5 posted:

The main thing I always remember about Future War is Forrest J. Ackerman's cameo.

he's in everything. he was in the time travelers also, as the dude who was making round things into square things

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
joel has a lot of leverage with netflix since he's proven he doesn't need them and he can basically self finance new seasons of the show

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8one6 posted:

What the gently caress was up with that Christmas movie?

Who, at any stage, thought that Santa being evicted would make a good Christmas movie for kids?

it's the kind of thing that kind of sort of made sense at the time but is horribly dated and incomprehensible in modern times. like the message of the film is one of gratitude and generosity but you have to jump through a ton of hoops to make santa claus, the immortal children's god of toys, into a pitiable figure in need of charity. also it's a children's film which never age well - carnival magic and cry wilderness were also aimed at children, which to me explains a lot of why they are so incoherent (children have poor taste in media so you dont have to work as hard)

e: huh, turns out the widdle baby lawyer was played by a man who was one of the pioneers of children's television back in the early 50's, and the movie was based on one of his books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlzodg63lqw

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 8, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this! posted:

One problem is that him being a lawyer had no part of the plot.

yeah when he gets a job as a janitor my wife turns to me and says "i thought he was a lawyer? gently caress this movie"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you order Volume XXXIX from Shout, you get the Complete Poopie disc as a bonus.

this is worth it, i have it on VHS

if you don't want a hard copy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M013NSukf1w

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MorgaineDax posted:

I unironically like Time Chasers. It's pretty good for being made by a 19 year old, and something about its earnestness just really appeals to me. I mean, the end shot is the dorky hero working up the courage to talk to a girl in a supermarket.

same. it's just barely a bad movie, when you account for the fact that it was the director's first film, no budget, scraped together sets/locations and amateur actors. unlike many bad movies which are confusing or painfully boring time chasers falls into that charming category of technically bad but legitimately entertaining. like at least it's well paced and you can mostly follow the plot. i'd say it's one of the five best films featured on mst3k

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Jack Frost is a legit good movie

yeah. what makes jack frost mst3k-worthy are the baffling cultural disconnects in terms of the alien folklore and the different standard of production values. aside from that it's a legit decent film

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I mentioned how he's professionally handsome.

Oh I found out you can get CASTLETON shirts. I think if I wanted a MST3K referance shirt, I'd hold out for a Watch out for Snakes.

:confused:

http://www.bkstr.com/castletonstore/shop/apparel-and-accessories/mens/t-shirts-and-tanks

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

castleton is a real university located in the vicinity of rutland, vermont where the film was made, so the "official" time chasers shirt is itself a knockoff...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bruceski posted:

I suspect this is the thing holding it up, if anything IS holding it up and they're not just waiting for a big reveal. On top of finding the right movies, and finding movies that the rights-holders are willing to release for (albeit loving) mockery, we've seen from the DVDs that figuring out who HAS the rights to some of those things can be a real mess.

iirc the films from this season had the rights owned by shoutfactory, so if that's the case it's easier now since mst3k is partnered with an organization/publisher that already has a massive lovely film library

Timby posted:

Again, they also don't have the however many millions of dollars in crowdfunding that they had from the Kickstarter. For a season 12, they have whatever Netflix is willing to pay, and the amount Netflix is willing to pay is directly proportional to the answer to the question, "How many subscriptions will this generate?"

netflix is pretty generous with funding original content, and mst3k is real cheap to make

if anything i bet joel was holding out for the kind of deal he wanted, since he had a ton of leverage over netflix by self-funding season 11. his plan before netflix came along was just to kickstart each new season and he can always go back to that if for some reason netflix doesn't want to pay peanuts to draw a cult show viewership to their platform

joel places a lot of weight on creative freedom, conflicts with jim mallon are what drove joel off the show in the first place. now he has his baby back and it's all his, so there's no reason to jeopardize his creative freedom again

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 30, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

The host segments were probably compressed somewhat by the need for the huge backer credits on every episode.

nah, season 11 was always intended for internet distribution so there's no time window to meet. each episode could have been three hours long or whatever

the compression was just because they had a short window to film everything, which is also why they used the "liquid technology" excuse to cover up cuts since they didn't have time to reshoot skits if someone screwed up a line

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

Something I'm too lazy to look up myself, but what would be the oldest movie they've ever riffed, and what would be the newest?

future war, as mentioned, and it was recent enough that during the trainwreck production the crew joked about how the film was so bad it should appear on mst3k

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
carnival magic and cry wilderness are easily as good as golden age sci fi channel episodes

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ringu0 posted:

What's the best one? The Chicken Of Tomorrow? Catching Trouble?

best short is more contentious than mike vs. joel once upon a honeymoon

is there any word about what the next crop of classic mst3k eps on netflix will be?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
*tom servo giggles*

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

remusclaw posted:

I like both of them, but Joel feels more like comfort food to me, while Mike has ever the slightest amount of edge. From a quality of episode standpoint, Mike benefits greatly from the show being a fully formed machine by the point he took over.

the biggest difference imo between joel vs. mike (and why mike was the host during the golden age of seasons 8-10) is that they were forced to do sci-fi films, which were relatively more contemporary than the often boring old mid 50's teenager films in black and white

not only did mst3k get better over time with experience but many of the films were just themselves painful slogs during the joel years

Dixville posted:

I always get a kick out of seeing Mike play random bit parts during the Joel era. Like when he was Glen from war of the colossal beast or that guy that sang the gamera song in some kinda lounge singer style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR78U6zvGI

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it thrills me to no end that all of coleman francis' three films feature someone firing a rifle out of a light airplane at a person running away on foot

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm glad that mary jo, kevin, and bill are so game to be guest stars (probably easier to schedule than mark hamill) and iirc the main reason mike didn't come is because he's busy with his own thing now?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I should clarify that those glaring moments aren’t Mike literally stumping for Trump or calling someone a snowflake or anything remotely like that. They’re just little moments where he’ll laugh at or make a joke about something particular and you can pretty easily infer what his actual thoughts on it are. The only thing he gets really blunt about is the RP1 main character’s two-page thoughts on religion.

makes sense, remember that mike is technically a goon

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tom Guycot posted:

I love Mike, but boy I really want to see this alternate universe.

galaxy brain host: beez mckeever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZvTPSMQ5so

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I have no memory of this segment. Please tell me it was a Robert Z'Dar movie.

sort of. forrest ackerman is also in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnzlIests4&t=1291s

then skip ahead to 25:00

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

So what were the volumes/episodes effected by this?

Volumes XIV and XVII

looks like they lost the rights to final sacrifice and soultaker