Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Nobody Interesting posted:

What are Kevin and Bill doing?

Bill and Mary Jo Pehl and joining the writing team. Biill, Kevin and Mary will all be back to make a cameo in at least one episode. I would assume they pop in for the first episode to pass the torch and away you go, but they could go another way with it.

Oh, and if you haven't heard the head writer for the show is a former head writer for the Daily Show, I think they're gonna be just fine. Glad they ended up with the most natural pairing ever, put the movie riffing show on the streaming service that primarily hosts movies and does licensing deals constantly. Hopefully they're able to use that Netflix connection to get some extra legit movies to riff in future seasons, I'm sure there are fairly modern films that still have the proper amount of MST3K style cheese to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I want them to riff Foodfight.

Foodfight is so bad it legit traumatized me, I don't want them to do it. I also couldn't get through the rifftrax of the last airbender because the movie was just too drat bad to tolerate even with a riff going.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well, that's enough for one day.

I agree, since I'm sick and missing Thanksgiving with the family because of it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Random thought I just had, if someone were to make a retro style video game based on MST3K, what kind of game would you want it to be?

Hard Mode: can't be a point and click adventure game(feels too obvious a choice)

Top down shooter. The bots and a host sit at the corner of a screen that doesn't move left or right, and riff on the game as it plays. Jokes about what enemy ships look like, jokes when you get a power up, jokes when you take damage or die, etc. Ships can be based on various mst3k movies.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, Jonah does bring up that people wanted them to reference the wheelchair cliff fall's notoriety as a running gag Paul Rudd did on Conan in that interview, and I must say that as someone who really loved that bit I'm sad it didn't get a quick callout there.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Another Bill posted:

The way I see it, worst comes to worst Joel folds the MST3K brand into Rifftrax. I've got to think Mike, Kevin and Bill would love to have a second team to bounce some movies to.

I suppose the desire to get the show going again could have been a factor in that not happening already, if no other network or streaming service wants to pick it up then kind of merging that together could work. I can't imagine it would take a big budget to do some pretty basic host segments and the traditional presentation for the VOD releases they do, and having the classic MST3k doing the characters and voices again would have some nice nostalgia appeal, maybe with some new puppeteers so Kevin and Bill just have to do voice work.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone else took the basic riffing formula and came up with a new spin on it, though I don't have much of a clue of what that spin could be aside from something like getting some funny people together to start riffing all of a classic t.v. show that a media company already has the rights to, though even there you're probably much better off not doing that for lots of episodes since that seems like it would get stale.

I think Disney is way too convinced that all their stuff has been great/too stuffy to do that, but if they were open to it then getting a group together to riff the disney vault classic films seems like a really good idea on paper, I'd certainly tune in to see riffs of the classic animated films of my childhood.

I don't know, I can't shake the feeling that a company that's willing to take the mst3k approach to bigger budget films and T.V. along with the right people involved is the recipe for mainstream success instead of the cult status that MST3k has had, but even outright owning the IP there's probably rights/legal issues that make that too complex a proposition.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Do y'all have a riff that cracks you up no matter how many times you hear it? For me (and there'll probably be others I remember), it's when the homewrecker in The Skydivers shows up and Crow says "Ah, the Femme Fatale" phonetically. (Possibly because when I was a kid I also said it that way because who says those words out loud.)

I'm sure there's some MST3k ones out there, but the one that immediately comes to mind is from the Rifftrax of Battlefield Earth. It's from when a caveman is on a flight simulator learning to fly a jet and says it's just like breaking a horse, and Mike says "Yes just like breaking a horse, all the same dials and levers." The delivery of that just kills me every time. I haven't seen any of the cast at a convention or anything, or really even been to a con, but if I ever get something signed by Mike that's what I'll have him put on it for sure.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's cool that you can create a solid 80% of the MST3k experience completely remotely, that's a neat thing that I'm sure many entertainment properties envy right now.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Paper Kaiju posted:

Castle of Fu Manchu is one I know I've watched multiple times, but for the life of me I can't remember a single thing about it other than Christopher Lee pretending to be Chinese.

The riff I've watched the most has to be the Leech Woman. I had a fair amount of episodes stashed away, and for whatever reason that was the one I kept watching on a regular basis for a decent period of time.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

That end of Kickstarter boost is very real, but I do worry about them hitting that $5.5 million 12 episode goal. I think that came pretty close to the wire on the last one though, so here's hoping they make it!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

Not really. It was on the last day but they hit 5.5 million before their finale telethon began and had to throw together another last minute stretch goal for a fourteenth episode. They didn稚 hit that goal until right before it ended.

I mean, hitting it on the last day is pretty last minute to me.

I'd love the Rifftrax crew to come on for an episode or two as that cast, but I totally get why they may not be down for it. If Mike's not going to come in as a host, I think having him cameo as Torgo has a lot of comedy potential, especially if there's literally anyone else in the room wherever they're shooting these remote segments in for him to play off of.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Diabolik900 posted:

The daily totals coming in are decent for the slow middle portion of the campaign, but the big first couple day痴 haul was not nearly as big as the first two campaigns. I doubt they値l hit the full 7 million, but I think they have a decent chance at getting the minimum $4.8 million for six episodes if a few things go well. Livestreams, which they said they値l start doing this coming week, tended to provide a boost last time, so hopefully that値l help. Plus, if the SAG strike is resolved soon, which is looking decently possible, they値l be able to start announcing what cast members are coming back, and more importantly the cast will be able to start promoting the campaign.

This is much more of a nailbiter than previous campaigns, and success is far from guaranteed, but I知 cautiously optimistic that they値l at least be able to pull off the minimum goal.

They're crowdfunding on hard mode with the SAG strike still going, doing it on a site with a WAY lower profile than Kickstarter, asking for more money than last time (which doesn't surprise me at all since I never expected Gizmoplex to actually bring them in proper revenue), and doing it at what seems like the worst time of the year in general for Kickstarter.

With all that being said, there's still enough fans of the show alive and kicking that I'll be genuinely shocked if they aren't able to reach the minimum goal. I'll also be equally shocked if they mange to reach their top goal for 12 episodes. The MST3k fanbase seems about as rabid as it gets, but it's pretty small and getting fans to directly pay for what they want is a hard sell.

To compare it to another high profile and successful TV show crowdfunding effort, all the fans threw their wallets with emphasis at getting a Critical Role animated show made. But based on my own experience the stream numbers have seemed significantly lower than they were during CR's peak, and if they'd had to keep crowdfunding things to get future seasons then I figure that Season 2 would've gone well but asking for another casual $6 million+ for a third season would've had more limited success. So now that MST3k lost the Netflix partnership (which really saddens me because drat all that licensing stuff was just, right there for them and it seemed to make so much sense) and doesn't have the "Hey MST3k can come back after forever" of the first Kickstarter and the "hey Netflix dropped us and we've been gone for a bit but here's our cool new Gizmoplex idea" of the second one, it's going to be an uphill battle. To me this isn't sustainable as an every year or even every two year crowdfunding business model, so I hope they're able to put their heads together and come up with something to keep things going in the future.

I wouldn't be opposed to them going full "we wish we had shoe strings" budget with things either. I'd expect things to drop in quality, but there's at least a chance that you capture some magic if 90% of the very limited budget is going to licensing movies and 10% is going to whatever writers and actors are willing to work on it for whatever's less than scale or just general absolute minimums. Like if they only hit the goal for 6 episodes this time around, I'd be very intrigued if they announced "yeah actually we found a way to do 12 on this budget, hope you enjoy!" and then set things up for a new mega low budget approach going forward. There's plenty of examples of mega low budget TV or movies being interesting in one way or another in ways that high budget stuff isn't, and MST3k has certainly always had that "get the most out of nothing" feel to it. It's just a lot rougher now that it takes a lot more money to even get the "nothing" that they need to work with.

Even if literally everything else falls apart though, I don't see how a model of "Subscribe to Gizmoplex, watch us riff a movie live once a month and do some live host segments, and then that's it forever and we aren't putting it up for download or viewing anywhere" wouldn't work. Put the price for that at $5 or $10 a month and between people interested in seeing a scarce event and not having to pay for a long license on whatever they riff, I figure pulling in around 20k+ subscribers a month should be attainable. I see more potential for growth doing stuff like that than doing standard MST3k, and it's the only way I see the Gizmoplex actually working as a thing. This does assume that licensing is still a big cost to them though.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 6, 2023

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's a shame MST3k didn't just keep on cruising along on Netflix once they picked it up because it seems like such a natural partnership and it can't have been that costly on Netflix's end. i feel like there were some cross promotion opportunities too if they just had them riff like, the first episode of Stranger Things or other Netflix originals. Or at least I don't see why something like that couldn't be done as a much shorter commercial type thing to help advertise it.

I think the best route forward from here would be to just acknowledge that the Gizmoplex never worked and toss that in the trash, then try to shop the show around to places like freevee and other smaller places like that. I know a lot of old episodes got put up on Pluto TV, so there may be an in there.

Continuing to crowdfund it again and again isn't sustainable though as was just proven.

I also need to pay tribute to Rifftrax for how well they adapted that same MST3k riffing approach into something that can be done with literally anything. I feel like they hit onto the modern take on how to riff on movies and the natural evolution of MST3k, so the classic MST3k folks are kind of stuck doing the old thing when there's a generally better newer thing out there. It's hard to have your jokes about a trashy Pacific Rim imitation movie compete with jokes about Marvel movies, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, the Lord of the Ring trilogy, the Harry Potter movies, and just about all the other major movie releases a while after they come out on home video or streaming. They've slowed own on riffing modern releases some, but they still hit some of the major ones and go back to hit some other classics along the way too here and there. I think there's a big advantage to offering that product to all sorts of movies that already have people interested in them. And then they offer a side option of various low-budget minor things if you want to buy a movie with the riffs cooked into it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

They literally did this, lol.

I agree, though, it was an inexpensive show for them that already paired with what they do naturally (find the rights for movies to stream). Even if the numbers weren't spectacular, it feels weird that they divested of it.

Ah, yeah it's such an obvious thing that I should've known it happened. That's the problem with not having a standard TV commercial method of shoving stuff right at my brain I suppose. Or I just saw a promo like that and then forgot about it while it nested in my subconscious.