Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Bruceski posted:

Anyway, the show's coming back! Play the party music! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTECX5QB6jw

Honestly, I always thought that that skit was SO DIUMB!

(I'll just stop posting now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

You can definitely see why it was canceled as Comedy Central evolved and found an identity more centered around stuff like The Daily Show (and why, despite definitely having most of my favorite episodes, the show was never a great fit for the Sci Fi Channel), but Netflix might just be the vehicle for it. It's hard to tell, though. It's not like kids can just come across it flipping channels, and I feel like middle school age is the way to get hooked on the show. It might just be us old fans enjoying a season or two of reliving it.

As someone who was only 4 when the last episode of MST3K aired on television, I can tell you that MST3K is popular even in my generation (among the nerdy crowd). Honestly, MST3K is pretty well ingrained in nerd culture now. And Netflix is where people go to find stuff nowadays. Kids don't watch much cable television anymore. I don't think lack of popularity will be a problem.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I thought the guest writers were going to be writing for the riffs? Like I think they got Ernest Cline (writer of Ready Player One) as he would be providing some nice references during riffing.

As far as I understand it, MST3K typically had 12 writers (including the robots and host) for both the sketch and riffing. So I'm guessing they had (while in the writing stage) 1 guest writer per episode, who probably usually lent their strength to riffing.

Edit: The text during the Kickstarter for Ernie:

MST3K posted:

ERNIE CLINE, the New York Times best-selling author of Ready Player One, which will soon be a movie from Steven Spielberg! If you’ve read RP1, you know how good Ernie is with cultural references.

The bolded part really makes me think that, at the very least, it isn't just the sketches they are writing for.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 12, 2017