Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
I'm curious, fellow goon-MSTies, how do you feel about the new series? Should a series about Mystery Science Theater 3000 focus more on the new episodes where they're still relatively fresh and new or jump all over the series' long and wonderful history? I co-host the bi-weekly podcast, It's Just A Show, and we've been cherry-picking episodes at random from different eras, including the new series.

A lot of feedback we've gotten from listeners have been positive about our randomized approach, but I'm curious if folks who may not have yet listened to IJAS would want a greater focus on the new episodes for now? Is it best to give greater attention and focus on the new series for now or give it a chance to breathe and gain greater momentum?

PS: Trace Beaulieu likes us. Maybe you will, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

HopperUK posted:

I haven't listened to your show (yet) but I think I'd rather keep to a randomised approach. That way if I have a favourite era I'm not waiting ages to hear something I'm super excited about.

Breadallelogram posted:

Maybe alternate talking about greatest hits popular episodes with lesser known ones?

8one6 posted:

A suggestion off the top of my head: Make two pools. One is all the episodes currently on Netflix (old and new) and another that is all the rest. Alternate between the two pools so at least half your episodes can directly lead to people watching the episode in question.

drrockso20 posted:

I'd modify this suggestion to take into account that a bunch more episodes are also on YouTube(legally), Hulu, and Shout Factory's own streaming service as well as just Netflix

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Yeah, there's so much to cover for the podcast that it can be hard to know what the best approach is.

ja2ke posted:

Man the hand throwing the watch into the pool in Danger Death Ray is one of the best things.

I expected the camera to pull back to reveal disinterested Italian crewmen a la Bava's Black Sabbath. How did they leave that in?

EDIT: Also, Starcrash is great and is tied for my number one spot of the season with Cry Wilderness and (maybe) Carnival Magic.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have a bootleg release of Danger Death Ray and apparently the version MST3K got was a bad edit, because my version doesn't have the hand in it, just the watch sinking into the pool.

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone put up a version on YouTube with Spanish main titles, but the English dub track. There's actually an extra shot exactly where the hand is that shows the watch falling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFEhUKhN6g&t=5343s

It was way more shocking to learn that Danger Death Ray had competent editing (in its original version) than it was to learn that Torgo was supposed to be a satyr. Great find!

It's such a nice print of the movie, too. One of the advantages of the new series is that home video has changed so much from the 80's and 90's to the present day. Boutique labels will put out remastered prints of the most obscure films, so you don't have to deal with the washed-out, sometimes blurry prints that'd get screened on the old series.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you like Donald Pleasance, you should watch the movie Raw Meat.

This is the most correct choice anyone could make. He's terrific in it (like always).

Jose Oquendo posted:

Donald Pleasance is a screen legend and great in everything he's in.

This is also extremely correct.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

It's so weird that literally everyone who voices Tom sounds so different, but Trace, Bill and Hampton's Crows are all pretty hard to tell apart.

See, I don't think Trace and Bill sound anything alike, but Kevin is definitely trying to evoke Josh (especially in seasons 2 and 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
In keeping up with the now more-or-less guaranteed 13th season (look at those numbers), the It's Just A Show podcast team has written a thirteen-episode watch-list for MST3K, cherry-picking one episode from every season.