Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad i bothered to read the thread because I was wondering if they had plans to do any new shorts, and I guess the answer is "we don't know". Though all those 70s and 80s anti drug things would be perfect. I remember seeing one in Jr High that featured a kid going out to try to score some weed and ends up getting raped and murdered in a truck. WTF?

Anyways, if anyone is curious on what kind of humor Elliott Kalan does, you can check out the Podcast he does, The Flophouse, and grab his Spider-Man and the X-men run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Because MST3K never ever aired in Canada, I only ever seen a handful in the 90s. Godzilla vs the one with Jetjaguar and Red Zone Cuba. Godzilla was great, but Red Zone Cuba is so insanely boring. I think it was just confusing that the cuba stuff was short and the rest became about swindling uranium claims.

Thank god for the video releases later in the 90s. I would have never would have seen the shorts, or any of the other classics. Still haven't actually seen Mitchell though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It had to have popped on some channel, as a Canadian, a fellow one introduced me to it in high school. And CTV sometimes aired MST3K The Movie as a sunday afternoon feature.

I never saw it, ever. And yea i should watch it, it being on the Youtube Channel. I mean, I finally watched Pumaman on there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My favorite short is Century 21 Calling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW7a5gr8zWE

Hello Grandma?
Where's my money??

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BooDoug187 posted:

HITLER'S DEATH CAR!

Johnny wonders what it would be like to fly it...
Over Cambodia, maintaining plausible deniability.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Franchescanado posted:

Jonah is going to tower over everybody on screen.

He can carry Elliott Kalan around in his pocket.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Elliott actually finds a way to get onto the show, if only to insert a silly song he makes up on the spot into the show.

Like he does to everyone's delight on The Flop House
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR3qd0KHYP0

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So the minions are supposed to look like the minions from Inframan?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know an Aquarium is just a pet store that doesn't sell anything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jonah, what's a radio?
It's like a podcast you can't control.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad they had Oswalt to Seager Sing.

And I really see a lot of Kalan's humor style in the show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kalan names his favorite episodes

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/best-mst3k-episodes-ranked-netflix

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a movie I've seen on late night tv but have never seen the MST3K for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So you want to have fondu? It being the 70s and all.

I love the way they censored boobs in Avalanche.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Spiderman: The Monster, not the Superhero

every one of those those fake movie titles are gold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't tell is Meep Morp is a Steven Universe sufferance, or just a Justin Roiland character name.

I love the commercial breaks, even thought they're pointless, they're enjoyable, plus cool versions of old MST3k songs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bruteman posted:

I think the commercials are meant to be an homage to local station bumpers, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnFpjl7942c

"Moon 13, the Moon" equating to "Channel 13, [insert your city here]"

Yea that's what I guessed. As MST3K never aired in Canada, never saw those.

Starcrash is a movie I saw as a kid. it was probably on some saturday or sunday afternoon and I'd watch anything if it was sci-fi or fantasy. Until this I thought it and Ice Pirates were the same movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cry Wilderness is the film equivalent of Wild Animus.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The movie where everything, and I mean everything, explodes.

Did Mst3k ever do Inframan? I honestly only know about it from one of the AVGN Monster Madness episodes, as I've never found it anywhere to buy or stream.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Funny thing about Kalan being a swingin' party super scientist is that anyone who's a fan of the flop house knows he's the biggest teatotaler and not a party dude at all.

"The vodka is already inside!"

Also Avalanche is such a facinating movie. It's clearly Roger Corman trying to ape an Irwin Allen disaster movie like Posiden Adventure or The Towering Inferno, but he completely fucks it up. Those movies the Disaster happens right away, after all the characters are established, and their backstories shown, then most of the movie is the survivors trying to make it out and sometimes the POV of those rescuing them.

Cormen fills the movie with boring shots of skiing and figure skating, pointless romantic subplots and has the crazy guy who's actually right just kinda hang around then the last 20 minutes is the Disaster, with some very lackluster post disaster adventures, though the ambulance going off the bridge is pretty hilarious. The driver was all "icey conditions on a sharp corner? Time to gun this baby!".

I also like how they only made one Rock Hudson is actually gay joke, and it worked because the scene in the movie is so silly, and it was clearly put in there to say "Rock Hudson is not gay".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We're guilty because we're Germaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So they're married in real life and this is how they kiss?

The fact that every horse talks like Don Knots makes me think of the Seabiscut, the worlds most popular horse! bits from the Flop House. Like it also could be Mr ed, but it sure as hell sounds like Dan McCoy's Seabiscut bit.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 16, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe this is a menu and you have to click on what story we want to see.

Seriously that opening to Wizards of the Lost Kingdom feels like they originally shot a tv show but it got turned into a movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kor, the first barbarian with Dad Bod.

So I finally found out the lyric in the opening that has confused me.

I always thought the lyric went "and the monitor is mine" or maybe "and the monitor is mined", which don't really make sense, but it's actually "and I'll monitor his mind". Only took me like 25 years to figure that out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure Patton Oswalt is in everything all of a sudden it because after his wife died, rather than letting his well documented depression take over, he took on roles to keep working so now to dwell on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TrixRabbi posted:

He was announced for this before his wife died, I believe.

I meant the other stuff he's been doing.

Carradine is so drunk during Wizards 2. He's not quite falling down, but he is at the level were standing still isn't as easy as it should be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Don't say Grand Wizard.

I also like how the referenced the Bigfood Medallion in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2.

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't recognize him until the very end, partially because he's so young and partially because I usually identify him by his distinctive way of speaking, which is tough to do when he's delivering all of his lines plastered.

He was clearly fulled sauced at the end where he declares Slater king.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only episode I was bored to death by was Red Zone Cuba. It's just so meandering and even the riffs can't keep it interesting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Random Stranger posted:

I can't figure out why he was complaining about the construction in the dangerous snow. Just because last night's snowfall was one that allowed for avalanches doesn't mean that every snowfall is. A better movie would have set that up where he as an avalanchologist was trying to warn about dangerous avalanche conditions and insisting that the resort be closed until they could clear the danger ("There's an unprecedented snowpack on that mountain and it could fall on us at any minute!") but Rock Hudson won't listen ("Shut down on Fourth of July weekend? Are you mad? Besides, we have little avalanches all the time and no one gets hurt."). Instead it seems to be implying that pretty much any ski resort is a deathtrap just waiting to happen (oh my god! There's snow and a slope! It's just a matter of time...).

This sounds like it would have been how the Irwin Allen version would have gone.

So are red beans and rice the best side at Popeye's?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

duz posted:

Yes. Their biscuits are also great.

I went to Popeye's for dinner tonight and they didn't have any! They did have biscuts though.

Oh hey Joel McHale!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Just got to the end of 14 and YAY! Mary Jo, Kevin and Bill are actually on-set!

I know!

And holy poo poo Jonah Rey is like 2x as tall as Felicia Day.

Who was the Head Observer? Sounded a lot like Iggy Pop.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

I liked the reveal halfway through the season of how Kinga and Max were just stealing jokes for their part of the Invention Exchange. The way they didn't do one in the first episode now makes sense.

Yea, I feel like anyone who has issues with that early on realizes that it was done on purpose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd totally be down for shorts being their own episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Corny Cornflake posted:

The "party scene" in Avalanche made me feel like a super annoyed designated driver even though I had 3 beers at that point.

Did that loving little 5 year old or so kid have a glass of chardonnay???

Dude it was the 70s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was pretty sick when I first watched the first few episodes, and so I'm watching it again.

I completely missed "There's your problem, you got yourself a Stallone!" and "Humans! Everyone act cute!".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pakled posted:

For a second I seriously thought that guy was Stallone before he got buff until I realized the time frame didn't match up.

I thought it was Frank Stallone.

I also forgot that the Adult Male Bowlcuts cereal from later in the season is the dad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, after Inframan I'd love to see Yor.

I love that Joel's hatred of the Nixon Administration continues.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how they call Loves of Hercules a "pecs and princess" movie. But it does annoy me that in this movie that they switch between Greek and Roman names for the gods.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Compendium posted:

This literally occurred to me today and that makes the movie even more chuckle worthy.

Yep.

Come Ladies, lets hate men somewhere else!

And I love Day in this, she really pulls off the cartoon super villain thing off really well, and she and Oswalt really play off each other well.

EDIT: You taste like bad acting and garlic bread.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 23, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm kind of curious if the rights for a lot of movies have changed since the 90s and are either easier or harder to get.

Not to mention there are movies that are old now but fairly recent when the show was on the air that could be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Egbert Souse posted:

MGM (who owns the AIP library that makes up half of Season 11) is recovering from bankruptcy, so they're probably happy to get whatever is offered to them. They've been licensing their library to practically everyone in the last few years, including Shout! Factory. I doubt Roger Corman is demanding anything unreasonable.

The bigger problem seems to be figuring out who owns the rights. Shout! Factory apparently had a difficult time finding out who owned Puma Man.

Also, even if a film is in the public domain like Mitchell or The Brain That Wouldn't Die, labels like Shout! will still license from the rights holders, even though they technically don't have to.

Yea, I can imagine that with all the shakeups recently, rights are all over the place.

You know what gets a man going, layers!
Look who dressed like your grandmother....

This explains why the bride does not let her husband kiss her on the mouth. Actually considering Korea's censorship laws, I'm sure kissing on the mouth was probably illegal in films.

Okay, what is the issue with Jim Mallon? I never was involved in the show in hits hayday, so I don't know all the behind the scenes strife that went on.