Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
What are the most watchable MST films other than This Island Earth? By 'most watchable' I mean least boring; they can be bad-good or good-good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Argh, I live in Germany now. Do any of those proxy things still work? Last time I tried one Netflix detected it. I hope they provide some other means of buying/streaming the episodes. :( I'm a lame ol' $1 backer so I'm not entitled to downloads.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm excited mostly because maybe my wife will be able to enjoy it with me. She's German and a few years younger and most of the jokes are dependent on you either being American or old enough to remember 90s pop culture.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Gaz-L posted:

Answer to my prior question seems to be YES at least for the UK! Am watching Space Mutiny via Netflix right now!

I wasn't super hopeful, but yeah, nothing on German Netflix. The healthcare, good transportation system, and cool amazing German wife are all very very nice perks, but dadgummit, I'm probably screwed out of the new season via legal means.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Doc Morbid posted:

Aw man, no MST3K on Netflix in my stupid backwoods country. :finland: Season 11 apparently isn't coming either, finally got around to checking that (not that I really expected it to be available in the first place, but I was holding on to that tiny sliver of hope). edit: Oh, I see the countries were listed in the OP all along :downs:

Well, no worries there, I'll just use a VPN. Oh wait, I can't because Netflix is now blocking those.

It sucks. I've been pestering the heck out of them on social media, but I think the fanbase in non-English speaking Europe is so tiny that we've pretty much got no choice but slap down a zillion bux for a dvd/blu-ray/download whenever those become available.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Yeah, these would be a nightmare to localize since so many riffs depend on bad line delivery and/or english wordplay to work.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The opinion that Reptilicus is weak and the season picks up after episode 2 or 3 is likely just an acclimation issue more than anything. It's like spinning a new album for the first time and then warming up to it over repeated listens. I imagine the same would be said for any episode if it were the first.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Have there been any reviews published from the completely uninitiated? I'm super curious about how first time MST viewers would respond.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The theater parts of the show would be indistinguishable from the old ones to me were it not for the differences in vocal timbres. Humor is exactly the same. The ratio of contemporary/obscure references is pretty much the same as in the older seasons too.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
For as much as I love this season, Starcrash was definitely the most difficult watch for me. Not sure if it was the movie or the jokes or what, but none of it really worked.

dirksteadfast posted:

My family has a history of riffing every Christmas classic ever, so The Christmas That Almost Wasn't felt particularly homey. It was like 5 cliche ridden Christmas movies in one, all done terribly.

The Christmas That Almost Wasn't was one of our family's yearly Christmas watches. I think my mom saw it in the movies as a kid and tracked down a VHS copy when I was small. The Prune song and a few assorted quotes from it were catchphrases around our home. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the MST treatment, but I could totally watch it on its own.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Looks like they're filming the new season starting monday! It's gonna have more of a cohesive central conceit to it 'suitable for binge watching' and there are only 6 episodes so they can get em' out the door more quickly.

joel posted:

New Season… New Experiment!

As you know, I never like to give away too much about the new episodes ahead of time, since I want the experience of seeing them to be a fun surprise for everyone.

So, before you ask, I'm still not going to tell you what movies Jonah and the Bots will be riffing this season… but I will tell you that this season's movies include one that I know a lot of you have asked us to riff in the past, and also one that was made in the last five years! Now, I've got to tell you, being on Netflix – and in over 100 million homes! – has been a really good thing for MST3K. It feels good having Season 11 under our belts and received so warmly, so that's been giving us a lot of good momentum this time.

But you know, it's also been really helpful seeing so much feedback from all of you, and I think you'll be pleased to see a bunch of your suggestions manifested in this next batch of new shows. It's never a good idea to try to make a show "by committee," but I think hearing from so many of you helped us see some things about the new episodes that we might not have noticed or thought about. I guess what I'm trying to say is… thanks for the help!

Anyway, yeah, I never want to share too much about the new episodes before you get to see them… but one of the big creative challenges that really interested me this time around was how to tweak the Forrester experiments to take advantage of Netflix's strengths, and the way people binge-view shows. (Think about it: binge-watching the last season of Stranger Things took 540 minutes… but binge-watching the last season of Mystery Science Theater took 1,260 minutes! Especially for new or "casual" viewers, I'm worried that could be a little overwhelming, and maybe keep them from giving the show a chance.)

So, this time around, the entire "concept" of the season will be a little different, and warped in a really fun way, which I think will make the whole series of movies "hang together" as a season. I'm not going to tell you the concept yet, but...

The next season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will be SIX EPISODES long, and written to encourage binge viewing!

And you know, the other nice thing about this plan is that, by focusing on just six episodes this time around, we're able to get them written, shot and edited a lot faster! That hopefully also means we'll be able to show them to you a lot sooner, so that you don't have to wait as long for your next "fix" of Mystery Science Theater. On a creative level, it’s a much more fun way to work. And I hope that shows in the new season. Truth be told, as much as I loved making 14 feature-length episodes of MST3K, it’s hard sometimes to get your arms around that much content all at once. So, this season allowed us to focus more, and have a better sense of the whole picture.

Anyway, I know a lot of you have been wondering what's happening with the new season, and I didn't want to start shooting without letting you know how things are going. You – the MST3K Revival League – are the reason we've got another season of Mystery Science Theater coming, and we're all still so grateful that you made this possible. And, speaking of the MST3K Revival League, there's one more thing we should talk about before I get back to work...

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

The Christmas That Almost Wasn't was one of our family's traditional yearly Christmas season watches and I still think of it as a classic. :colbert:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Mike has a podcast he does with his pastor called Like Trees Walking all about religion & life and stuff. You can get a pretty decent sense of his political leanings from it, though it doesn't come up often: https://liketreeswalkingpod.com/

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 27, 2018

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Question: When are you gonna do that bible study podcast with Lowtax?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm happy with the Gizmoplex idea. Mostly because I live in Germany and without a VPN it was impossible to watch any of the new (or old) episodes. I'm also just generally excited to see anyone trying to step out from under the shadow of big streaming services.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
A mega surge happens in the last 48h of almost every single Kickstarter campaign ever. It's a combo of Kickstarter's automated 48h reminder emails (in one of my campaigns these got us like 10% of our total backers) and all the hubub on social media about the campaign ending. The final day is almost always the second most profitable day, barring some massive celebrity tweeting in the middle or something. For this one to end without that would be odd. Also Joel has friends with $$$ who I'm sure will throw in then too. It'll get there.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I know it's not feasible or affordable given the profile of some of the actors involved but dang it'd be cool if they made a ~MST3k summer camp~ and all got together for a few months to shoot a season's worth of host segments with physical sets. I'm not sure if it'd even result in this, but the newer seasons lacked a certain warmth or chemistry or something that the old ones had. Felt a bit by-the-numbers and I fear that the newer season will be even more in that direction.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Has anyone in Europe (specifically Germany) been able to download it? Not at my TV now but I'm a bit concerned since the Shout Factory app, for example, just doesn't show in the store at all due to region issues. If they haven't configured the app to be available here I may be out of luck unless I fiddle with annoying sideloading/VPN shenanigans.

Edit: OH, ok, ignore me for now. Still concerned but I'll freak out when the app actually drops.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 8, 2022

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

ja2ke posted:

I don’t mind the look of the fake sets, but I hope they get a better spill suppression for their green screening. It shouldn’t be hard to look better than it does, even with out of the box plugins.

The cadence of 1301 is so much more the pace I like and associate with MST, though. The host segments don’t feel like everyone is sweatily checking their watch because the cast has to be wrapped with the whole season an hour from now. And the theater segments are similarly more laid back and let the movie and riffs breathe.

yeah agreed. i do wish things felt a little less cheap (almost strikes me as a youtube series aesthetically) but I'll gladly take the relaxed nature and spaced out riffs over fancy sets. my dream scenario would be for them to build physical sets again as in the first 9 seasons. didn't realize how integral those were to the show's appeal until the newer seasons.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm enjoying the most recent episode quite a bit but the theme song intro part drives me nuts. Until now the intro sequences have been amazing at setting the tone and this one just bums me out.

I don't mind it being motion graphics heavy but it's just a total low effort drag and is 80% a single static shot.

Even with the limited green screen footage it's possible to make a killer intro with clever compositing work and direction. I'd be embarrassed to show anyone new an episode with that at the beginning.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Boba Pearl posted:

source your quotes

Are you asking me to post my own compositing work? Like, I will because I made an entire videogame full of it, but it'd be pretty off topic.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

oh right. I don't want to crap on anyone's hard work or join the small chorus of chronic whiners because I really do enjoy the meat of the show, I just think the intro would've been worth investing more energy/thought into.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 10, 2022

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm finding it harder to love many (most?) episodes of this show upon rewatch which kind of kills me. This may have to do with marrying a German and being more conscious of which episodes are steeped in references and trivia that mostly only Americans (or people born in before the late 1980s who aren't TV/film nerds) would be likely to understand. I was hoping to turn more folks onto it over here but some episodes are back to back references to things they wouldn't have heard of.

The Final Sacrifice and a handful of others hold up amazingly well though. The newer ones are easier to swallow too, though the production on them is less charming. If any of y'all have had a similar situation and know which other eps may be more-or-less universal, please lemme know.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
https://twitter.com/shinimomi/status/1600053470262079489

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
having to ride the volume has been one of the less pleasant parts of the newest season. i hope it's not because the person they got to mix has strong opinions and it's just an oversight or something.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The Final Sacrifice is my favorite episode and the one I show newbies so it mega sucks that it's one of the few with persistent rights issues.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
mine is $96 gah friggin Germany

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
no cable but our uncle (who was also into playing drums + listening to Rush) got a VHS tape of Eegah for us for Christmas and my sister and I wore that thing out. for some reason we watched that, Forrest Gump, Little Nemo, and Titanic constantly.

I was 10 and she was ~7. we still remember the little weird Rhino ad spots with the mads by heart. at some point I believe it started being shown on PBS at odd hours so we caught other episodes then. I think we got a second tape of The Unearthly until I eventually got a job and ordered DVD sets from the internet.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

PostNouveau posted:

They'll probably lose the cast.

Other than Joel and Emily I'd LOVE for them to lose the cast. Please get these famous people out of my MST3k.

My unlikely wishlist for this show:

- Physical sets that feel they have dimension like in the old show. Even the netflix set felt kinda flat somehow?
- Bots that 'feel' like the Kevin Murphy/Bill Corbett bots. Maybe not impersonations but at least consistent characterization and voices that have similar registers.
- Make GPC dumb again. Name is fine but that character was so endearing and now it's just 'girl' which tbh kind of defeats the purpose of the change. There's also a perfectly good lore reason for her dumbness.
- New mads that aren't famous but just really funny individuals with excellent chemistry.

I think the writing has been pretty great.

I hope they pull off reaching their goal or have a contingency plan because I'd of course rather not-ideal MST than no MST. :smith:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Ok, well at least give her something. They could play more with the already-established "GPC is using all of her brain juice running the ship, hence dumb" thing and have her switch between being hyper-intelligent and mega stupid in equal measure. Plenty of comedic potential there. Presently she's a nothingburger.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I really like the Gizmoplex conceptually. I'm no biz expert but I'd much rather a flat subscription fee over this pass system, which seems a bit messy and difficult to communicate. Also I think most MSTies would be willing to throw in 5-10 a month just out of love for the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This has been touched on but imo the original run of this show could've only been made by a bunch of people from one area who aren't necessarily professionals making something new and exciting together for not-a-whole-lot-of-money. Some of those dudes weren't even aiming for a career in TV or production, they just ended up there. I'm not sure they *can* deliver on that particular vibe just by virtue of the MST3k being a known quantity that's no longer operated by a rag-tag fresh-faced gang of youngsters.