Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Having only seen the "greatest hits" collection they put up a few weeks ago I'm not nearly as well versed in the sausage factory aspects of the show as most of you, but I love that the countdown chambers have all the stuff that's mentioned in the "if you're wondering how he eats and breathes" line. One chamber is like a workshop for making skit props, another's the bathroom, the kitchen, etc. I thought that was cute.

And Mark Hamill as the space carny was wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

Have there been any reviews published from the completely uninitiated? I'm super curious about how first time MST viewers would respond.

I'm not completely uninitiated as I'd watched the 20 greatest hits about a week beforehand, but I didn't grow up with the show or anything and I loved it. My dad and I used to stay up late on weekends watching old movies on local broadcast TV and while we didn't intentionally set out to make fun of them, the wonderful badness of obscure-for-a-reason B-movies pretty much leaves you with being bored to tears or cracking jokes to pass the time and this show captures that feeling to a T.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It feels like Wizards of the Lost Kingdom should have a toy line, a short-lived Saturday morning cartoon and a small but die-hard cult fandom attached to it. It's like Flash Gordon or Masters of the Universe from a parallel timeline.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm Cam-Bot.

While everyone else is having fun, I just sit in the back, silently. Watching. Staring. Unblinking. Committing everything to memory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Personally, I'd just add the bots and friend to a weird/bad/riffable game. Like, Xenogears or Drakengard.

Yeah, I was thinking of something like a series of short levels that parody legendary bad games in various genres/the actual games if they're old enough to be abandonware with Madden tech dynamic riffing from the gang, and little WarioWare-type minigames for the interstitials.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was a geo major and had a lot of acquaintances in different STEM areas throughout the late 90s-2000s, sci-nerd riffing was something approaching the professional pastime during that wave of mega-disaster movies. It was magnificent. A double billing of The Core and The Day After Tomorrow almost killed my friends.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just watched Overdrawn at the Memory Bank last week and I had to rewatch it the next day. It's fascinatingly bad, between the direct-to-video quality and the onslaught of bizarre plot turns, the glazed ham acting and Raul Julia holding it all together... it's like a fever dream on film. And the riffs and public television skits are so on point.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 29, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought Starcrash was incredible. That five minute long fighter takeoff sequence was the 2001 monolith opening of bad scifi.

Powered Descent posted:

I think the problem with Starcrash is that the movie itself manages to completely overshadow the riffs. Just about the only riff I even remember is the one that's a full song. The movie is SO weird and SO bad that riffs have no power over it.

I thought that add to the, uh, "charm", such as it is. Sometimes the badness transcends mere mortals and you can only witness, pardner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Warner played two different roles back to back in consecutive Star Trek movies, he seems down for anything.