Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grahf987 posted:

drat, good news. Never thought they would all realize that now is their chance to make it happen in the prime of making fun of things for a living, except with a little class and setup compared to the others.

Wonder if it will be season 12 or whatever it would be officially, or if it will be season 1 "new" MSt3k. If they had the old seasons as well it would justify Netflix a little more which is increasingly becoming a only sometime subscription.

While doing the Kickstarter reward thing they had an option to buy a box set of the new season and they listed it as Season 11.

Sanzuo posted:

Yea I should probably reserve my excitement until we hear some jokes, but with a cast and crew like this I'm cautiously optimistic!

Joel and Jonah did a short at the Rifftrax MST3K reunion show and it was really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I like him in spite of the fact he's not me.

The reboot may be the thing that makes me finally break down and get a Netflix account.

Lucky guy, he's about to find out I'm Ben Murphy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

Well your dad was kinda right if the synopsis I read was accurate, the edit was really noticeable and I haven't even seen the film. I hope no one ever made that defence of Sidehackers though.

Yeah, the story of making MST: the Movie was that the studio forced them to make a super short movie under the odd impression that people didn't want to see comedies that were over 80 minutes. That's why the thing was edited to hell and back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Future War's overall premise isn't abjectly terrible. You could probably even keep the "nun-to-be undergoing a crisis of faith" angle.

Future War feels like a movie that had something go catastrophically bad behind the scenes and they ended up finishing the movie by just kind of salvaging what footage they had left. There's the obvious problems like cardboard camera but then you have stuff like the train scene where they get on a train, ride it for a little bit and all of a sudden they're off and walking back to the house. Or the scene where the guy starts to explain his backstory and it cuts in suddenly with the nun summarizing it instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The shorts kind of disappearing had more to do with Syfy than any desire on their behalf. Also I'm assuming shorts were harder to come by back in the day but now with the internet they're all over the place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Ape of Naples posted:

I think it'd be a little weird for MST3k to tackle shorts/movies that Rifftrax did (and that goes for the other way around). That said some movies/shorts are so "classic" and notorious that they go beyond one show and become open fodder for everyone. "One Got Fat" definitely fits in that category.

Rifftrax actually has gone back and done multiple things that were from MST3K. Cinematic Titanic also redid that horrible Santa Claus and the Martians movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I want to say that Timmy was the theater Crow puppet because those are painted black.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mitchell is such a good riff.

"Hey, a sex film!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's been a while since I watched the episode but I want to say they already had the money which they embezzled from the government grants they got to develop the tripolydine. Although you'd think someone would think up a good use for such a highly explosive fuel and they could sell it for more than "Ten mil."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that really bugs me about Riding with Death is that someone liked Critter enough to bring him back for another episode. Uh, I mean the back half of the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What would Liberace do? Whoa, better not do that!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you backed the MST3K Kickstarter check you email as they put up another episode (Final Justice.)

Edit: Has Joe Don Baker always looked 50?

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 2, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fun MST production fact, Mike's original job for Best Brains was to be the guy who wrote down the riffs during screenings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only episode I absolutely refuse to rewatch is Hamlet. I watched it when it first aired and any subsequent attempts have left me cold.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part of The Violent Years was the scene where some Communists pay them to smash up the school. Because that was totally a thing that was happening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Marv at least got into crime on his own. Jimmy just kind of fell backwards into crime.

Anyway, new Kickstarter update. Joel says that this week is when they're going to start filming all the host segments, skits and Mad stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When they got everyone together at the Reunion Show he looked like an inch or two taller than Mike.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Command Ant posted:

Joel mentioned in Soultaker that Crow must've changed his bowling pin, so it'll probably be something along those lines.

When the Syfy version started they explained away the personality change by saying that Crow had been stuck on the SOL for centuries by himself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On the Kickstarter reward site they put up that let you buy into any of the tiers they were selling it as a complete "Season 11" box.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm just waiting for Netflix to announce they got everything that is currently available. Seems like that would pay for itself with the new season to also be able to go "And you can watch every other episode!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How old was Paul Anka in Girls Town? They treat him like an adult but he looks like he is 12. Also, Mamie Van Doren :vince:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the whole thing has been filmed so now it is down to editing/post.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TL posted:

Has Netflix ever released an original series one at a time, or do they always roll out the entire series at once? The thought of fourteen new MST3Ks at once is dizzying, but I think I'd rather have it spread out, personally.

Not "original" original but the Canadian show Between released episodes weekly because it was also airing on Canadian TV at the same time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chelsea Handler's show is probably the only thing they actually produce that was put on weekly, because it is a talk show. Everything else is through distribution deals.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also the day laborer bit "Oh, they make it sound so nice!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

FInal Sacrifice is another one of those MST movies that look fun by themselves.

The plot and script for Final Sacrifice isn't that bad, it is pretty much all in the actual production. Where they just obviously don't have the money to do it justice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

When season 11 drops, we're going to need to organize simulwatches.

There's supposed to be a thing with the first episode where they're going to stream it separately going by the Kickstarter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For an example of how rough these episodes are, in Invaders From the Deep, Joel introduces himself as Joel Hodgson, there isn't anything with the Mads to start and he doesn't even have the bots on stage with him. Also the movie just runs for over 2 minutes before Joel even shows up in the theater.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Will the old eps be available for purchase?

If you want to pay $1k you can get the bonus episodes :haw:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Sidehackers...:stare:

Sidehackers was the one where they decided that they need to watch a movie all the way through before deciding to riff it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm nearly finished with my complete re-watch of the show and after watching The Girl in Gold Boots, I have to ask which movie had the least likeable cast?

High School Big Shot is a front runner. Nobody is likeable, even the protagonist. At least in Gold Boots, Michelle & Critter semi-redeem themselves at the end (Michelle gets away from the sleazy guys and Critter turns them in and goes to the Army).

Critter and Michelle get married at the end but I get the feeling that extrapolated out the marriage doesn't last because Michelle feels like Critter is always talking down to her. He comes off as real condescending throughout the movie. Also if Critter didn't want to be in the Army why did he come back to America?

BooDoug187 posted:

Amazon Prime streaming has several Rifftrax movies on it. I watched Mega Force on sunday and wow, I forgot how dumb that movie was!

The weird thing about that is they also got the non riffed versions of a lot of Rifftrax movies. So now you can watch regular Mega Force without all those extra "jokes" added in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst "lead" to ever appear on MST3K is hands down Ross Allen from Catching Trouble.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

I could totally watch Operation Double 007 by itself, maybe then Joel wouldn't ruin it for me.

"I know."

Operation Kid Brother is totally available on its own on Amazon Prime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Will the old eps be available for purchase?

So re-replying to this post because Joel actually explained how to get the KTMA episodes if you didn't back the Kickstarter. Basically you go to https://mst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/68623 and the $40 buy in gets you a bunch of stuff and the lost episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What are the other episodes included?

On that level, The Robot vs The Aztec Mummy, Manos, Final Justice, Master Ninja I and Alien from LA. You also get the first episode of the new season as a download (when it comes out.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching an older Rifftrax feature last night, Missile to the Moon and one of the escaped convicts seemed really familiar to me. I decided to look him up today and he was played by Tommy Cook, who was the gangster boyfriend in Teen-Age Crime Wave.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hhhat posted:

OMG OMG OMG

I just got a shipping notification

The kickstart goods are on the way

The Martians have saved Christmas!

I got my postcard this week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, spankings all around.

Also I got my card yesterday and I'm glad I went the extra $5 for the version from them because it is pretty nice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I'd forgotten how overtly tone-deaf I Accuse My Parents is from start to finish. It's like it was written by an alien who learned about society from reading Goofus and Gallant cartoons. Also the Gypsy lip sync segment just struck me funny and I lost it for awhile. I'd seen this one most recently before my rewatch and I still somehow completely forgot about it. I hope the show maintains some of its earnest goofiness, as hard as that is in this self-aware, postmodern age for comedy.

I'm still confused as to how Jimmy having absentee parents caused him to write bad checks and get involved with the mob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Violent Years is funny just because of the wonky bit where the girls are hired by communists to trash their school.