Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I was already really hyped about this, but getting Kevin, Bill, and Mary Jo involved just pumped my excitement level to the stratosphere. I pooped mah drawers I'm so excited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Yum.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Looks pretty skinny, must be a carpenter ant.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I've said this before, but Mitchell is actually a decent movie. It's biggest failing is the lack of any sympathetic/likable characters. We're supposed to root for Mitchell, and he's just such a mess you can't.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Chokes McGee posted:

The movie has no clear beginning, middle, or end. I'm not 100% sure it still isn't going. And it has Joe Don Baker.

Please seek help. :ohdear:

Joe Don Baker is actually a terrific actor.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
That'll put some sookie in your dookie!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

Is she in heaven?

Go get 'em, Sam! Give it the old college try!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Once Upon A Honeymoon

"How many times Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie had sex!".

God that one is great.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

His golfing buddies are never gonna invite him back.

Guns, huh?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's probably similar to why CC first picked up MST3K in the first place: it's a fledgeling outfit and they're just glad it fills a two hour block.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Mitchell
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
Warrior of the Lost World
Time Chasers
Pod People
Cave Dwellers
Space Mutiny
San Francisco International
Red Zone Cuba

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Has Netflix ever released an original series one at a time, or do they always roll out the entire series at once? The thought of fourteen new MST3Ks at once is dizzying, but I think I'd rather have it spread out, personally.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
My favorite sketch ever is Joel and the Bots discussing the nature of hell in Eegah.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh, MST musical segments. The two best in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ree220FiOEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qamCu-w7rsc

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

monster on a stick posted:

Welp.

At least they have noted comedy writer Felicia Day.

Paul Chaplin, Bill Corbett, and Mary Jo Pehl also contributed to the writing. Plus Bill and MJ and Kevin Murphy are doing cameos as Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

tvgm2 posted:

Elliot Kalan (Daily Show) too.

And if you listen to Elliott on the Flophouse podcast, you'll see he's absolutely perfect for the job.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

As for my own MST origins, I was vaguely familiar with its premise just from seeing it all the time while channel surfing. Then at some point in 1996, my brother actually started watching it, and I followed suit. The only specific thing I remember seeing from this time were the host segments from The Incredible Melting Man. We loved it, but within weeks it disappeared since (unbeknownst to us) Comedy Central had canceled it. Over the next couple months we started buying the Rhino VHS releases, so watching The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Mitchell, Pod People, and Cave Dwellers over and over and over again is how I really fell in love with the show. Thankfully, our cable company added the Sci-Fi Channel a few months into season eight.

I can confirm this account (I'm Diabolik900's brother), but for my part, the first episode I really watched was either the Day the Earth Froze or the Human Duplicators.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

It's cool that you guys have matching avatars. :shobon:

We're nerds. It's cool.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think the best we can hold out hope for is some sort of trailer.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm nearly finished with my complete re-watch of the show and was up to Devil Fish last night.

I do not remember seeing this the first time around:

Looks like we were spared a nut shot.

Look for the Diabolik rough cut on YouTube. During shooting of the movie segments of that one the editor played a little spliced together reel of the best scenes from the movies they did which features that shot in all its glory.

I mean, do it because it's funny. Not just for the nut shot.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
What's a weenie roast?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Action Jacktion posted:

RIP Mohammad "Tony" Zarindast, director/writer/producer of Werewolf, in which he also played the security guard who becomes a werewolf. He was 82.

Did he just honk?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

Felicia Day has always struck me as a pretty good match for it, honestly, because whatever else you have to say about her, her humor is awkward and genuine, sometimes painfully so. Less so Patton Oswald and the Daily Show writers, but I think they'll get a handle on it.

If you're worried about Elliott Kalan because of the Daily Show, I implore you to give the Flop House a shot. He is very, very silly.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't know if it's the one Ballz is looking for, but you're describing The Undead, which is a pretty batshit crazy movie even by MST3K standards.

You know, I've never known more about what isn't going on in a movie.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

For people who did the Kickstarter, you should probably check your mail.

I don't see anything and I am a backer.

Edit: Mail or email?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Should we get a gay man for our roof?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm Cherokee Jack.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm Cherokee Jack.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm seeing 1101 tonight, guys. I'm so excited I can't sleep.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'll try but I'm not going to spoil anything, so I'll be vague.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
And they sent people with tickets emails today saying we'll have to sign a confidentiality agreement, so I really can't say anything substantive.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
1101 is EXCELLENT!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can't give much in the way of details as they had everyone sign an NDA. No release date beyond "soon".

As for non-spoiler stuff, I can say Hampton and Baron settled into their roles as the Bots seemingly effortlessly. Despite the new voices, they have the personalities down pat.

The show, visually, is similar to the original version but a little more modern and polished. I was worried it'd be too slick from what they'd shown on Kickstarter, but that was assuaged by literally the first shot. It's a little more grand in scope, but true to the aesthetic.

The riffing was spectacular, up to par with some of the Sci-Fi era (IMHO the best at pure riffs), and they made sure to throw in some classic references in addition to the modern ones.

Jonah, frankly, I think is going to be a star. He's very funny and likeable, and handled one particularly difficult host segment remarkably well.

Felicia and Patton are fun as the Mads, I'd say more but worry about violating the NDA.

The music was great, still felt classic but with a little bit of updating.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
One other point-the movie in 1101 is a gem. It's terrible, but watchable, with a few moments that made me laugh on their own, without the need for riffing. The movie feels like a movie they'd have done on the old show.

I will also say, it's possible my impressions of the bots are also slightly based on the little bit of improv Hampton and Baron did with them after the show. But what they did show me is they really get who the characters are, which is very encouraging.

Also, despite having seen Cinematic Titanic live maybe five times, hearing Joel say the word "gently caress" during the pre-show Q and A was both awesome and strange to hear.

Last thing-I really feel that they nailed the charm of the old show, and the whole "everyone on the crew is pitching in" aspect of it. This is a really minor anecdote, but I didn't realize until after the show was over that the woman who passed out the NDAs outside the theater for us to sign was one of the producers. It really strikes me the whole operation is run by people who truly care about the show.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't know that there's an answer to the first question, really. There's movies that this episode reminded me of, but to say more runs the risk of spoiling what the movie is.

And as for the NDA, hell no. Not for a stranger.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will say they do a good job of making it accessible to people who are not familiar with the concept, if it helps.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is it odd that the main thing I wanna know is how the theme song sounds?

It sounds like the old theme, with some slight differences.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think they said it was because of their attempt to tell somewhat of an ongoing story once they got to Sci Fi that it was hard to shoehorn letters into the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Joel said on Facebook that they've delivered all 14 episodes to Netflix. Apparently, Netflix does about 30 days of quality control, then they go up. So hopefully in a little over a month we'll all be watching new MST3K.