Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
hey, bitch.

remember this poo poo:

hell yeah you do.

talking to all your buddies back in middle school.

setting your away message to just the EXACTLY right song lyrics in EXACTLY the right font trying to impress your early 2000s high school girlfriends.

hell yeah, we all been there. just play this video in the background and TRY not to instinctively check your task bar for new IM's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVQ9rhjyTY

of course they even released a free game thats just an AIM simulator for those of you who didnt have friends on AIM back in 'the day":

http://store.steampowered.com/app/417860/

But really the bottom line is who had the best buddy icon. This was my favorite and will always be my buddy icon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

*bloop*

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
met one of my gf's initially as an annoying girl that kept iming me

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
The good ol days

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i used aim a lot. then icq came a long and the rest is history!!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

ROFLburger posted:

i used aim a lot. then icq came a long and the rest is history!!

icq suxxXx

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Me after viewing this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62d_FQoPV4&t=7s

(someone needs to upload a vid with just this sound)

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Pressing the warn button on your friends till they get locked out, good stuff

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't get why people are so against using it now, it still works just fine and is vastly superior to skype/kik/whatever people use these days.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't get why people are so against using it now, it still works just fine and is vastly superior to skype/kik/whatever people use these days.

poo poo i;m surprised the SA Forums PM system isnt the de facto standard these days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I still use AIM (through Digsby but I may end up going back to Trillian cause their servers loving suck this past year)

I prefer it over garbage skype or google chat by miles

I suppose I'd probably move onto something else if there was something still just simple like it. It's a bit sad seeing a list of names that haven't been on in like 12 years, a few of them I know are dead.

I mostly just use it to keep in touch with some of my dos/natural selection buds and some extended family who still use it

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 24, 2016

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
man aim got me into so much poo poo in just fifth grade it was ridiculous

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nothing like angsty away messages

The Fb status updates of the time

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
AIM tried adding too much poo poo, like stupid advertisements over everything. More and more BS, all this dumb poo poo, eventually I only had one friend who still used it and we both made the decision to just start using Skype after my old PC died. I couldn't get a reasonable version of AIM to run on this new PC and the latest version of Trillian was poo poo.

I will miss the AIM icons though. I made some nice ones in the day

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I use fb messenger

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I remember MSN Messenger more than AIM and the angsty teenager that waited for the two girls he fancied to come online.

The 30 year old me would probably punch the 16 year old me.

That steam game isn't a game. IT WAS loving REALITY.

:psyduck:

*has PTSD flashbacks*

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i dont think ive used AIM since like 2001 thanks for the nostalgia OP

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
What I find very bizarre is that nowadays in pop culture, you hear references to FB, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc. etc. But if you look at media from like 2000-2005 when AIM reigned supreme and our lives were dictated by it, there's not a single movie or TV show I can remember that ever referenced it. Myspace got some references here and there, Yahoo and Google obviously. Thank god no Xanga (is that how it was spelled?), but why no love for AIM messenger?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Because it was mostly middle school and high school kids using it at the time, along with some (but far from all) college aged adults. The only people on AIM older than college age were "computer nerds" (or just technologically literate adults, really) who were still a minority back in that day.
Nowadays, digital technology is ubiquitous, so popular media reflects this.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Faster posted:

What I find very bizarre is that nowadays in pop culture, you hear references to FB, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc. etc. But if you look at media from like 2000-2005 when AIM reigned supreme and our lives were dictated by it, there's not a single movie or TV show I can remember that ever referenced it. Myspace got some references here and there, Yahoo and Google obviously. Thank god no Xanga (is that how it was spelled?), but why no love for AIM messenger?

Many if not all of those are either compensated product placement or else owned by the same giant media conglomerate

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember for a long time AOL only let you have one screen name on at a time but you could install AIM separately and have two screen names on! I would stay logged in with my main one and use an alternate one to mess with people and they never knew it was me. Simpler times...

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Prince posted:

hey, bitch.

remember this poo poo:

How old are you

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

safetyStanddown posted:

Because it was mostly middle school and high school kids using it at the time, along with some (but far from all) college aged adults. The only people on AIM older than college age were "computer nerds" (or just technologically literate adults, really) who were still a minority back in that day.
Nowadays, digital technology is ubiquitous, so popular media reflects this.

At least when I was in uni AIM was really popular with the average computer user. I knew people who didn't know anything about how to use their PCs but they all still communicated through AIM, there was really no alternative at the time and I think all of my mates had a screen name. Texting took a long time to become popular in the States, and services like MSN or Yahoo Messenger never really took off. I remember using AIM to communicate about group projects and poo poo as well, I think that the generation that grew up with AOL and AIM in middle and high school just kept growing bigger when they went to college, it seemed like not having a screen name would damage your social activity.

As for the older people, I suppose that by the time that the AIM generation was graduating and entering the workforce, texting was starting to become more popular and a few years later would see the rise of smartphones and messaging applications. For the most part I communicate with those friends using Facebook Messenger instead of a separate messaging app.

It's actually pretty interesting how barren the idea of social networking was at the time, no companies really took advantage of AIM to do direct marketing. I remember you could message "Santa Claus" and talk to a bot, and there might have been a few companies that had bots which would eventually try to sell stuff, but it seems like such a no-brainer to be able to add corporate friends for "exclusive sales and the latest news!"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

WMain00 posted:

I remember MSN Messenger more than AIM and the angsty teenager that waited for the two girls he fancied to come online.

The 30 year old me would probably punch the 16 year old me.

That steam game isn't a game. IT WAS loving REALITY.

:psyduck:

*has PTSD flashbacks*

hell same

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Faster posted:

Aim was just really an extension of AOL. Considering what shady and deceptive practices were going on at AOL I was surprised they ever made a free way of chatting with AOL members.

So anyway my point is you never really saw AOL referenced in movies or TV but you saw references to "instant messages" quite a bit.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

If your buddy icon wasn't a transparent gif carefully created to match the other UI buttons (with a text label that had one letter underlined and stuff) then I think you are probably gay and/or a millennial

Edit: sorry I guess those are basically the same thing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I lost my virginity to a girl who randomly messaged me to go see her brothers band play when i was 15. She just looked up people in our city and spammed them but I tried to chat her up and hey it worked.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At work my boss set this up for interdepartmental communication because he's over 40 and of course he would

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My entire AIM career was just sending out dick pics. It rocked.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Aim was just really an extension of AOL. Considering what shady and deceptive practices were going on at AOL I was surprised they ever made a free way of chatting with AOL members.

So anyway my point is you never really saw AOL referenced in movies or TV but you saw references to "instant messages" quite a bit.

Uh, I think you're forgetting the Oscar nominated film 'You've Got Mail', a direct reference to AOL.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Away:

~i can hardly wait until i feel the thrill in my heart that starts inside your eyes~

wiqid bored, cell it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
*waits exactly three minutes after crush logs in to IM them*

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

In college I lived in this house with a bunch of other people. Texting wasn't that popular yet so we couldn't do that cool thing where people in the same house text each other instead of walking over and talking to each other, so instead we used aim. Like one of the upstairs roommates would message me if my music was too loud or if I should come up and gently caress her when my girlfriend wasn't around. Aim was cool as hell, only 90s kids will agree :c00lbert:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah remember the IM log programs that would txt dump your conversations, so when your friend tried to like about something months later you could copy/paste the text and make him eat poo poo

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
all of this but with MSN messenger instead

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
AIM Ad Hack and AOHell and then I remember using Miranda IM and GAIM

also this is still around: http://www.badassbuddy.com/

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I liked the ticker at the bottom. Sometimes you want to chat but you really need to keep an eye on your stocks!!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why were there so many deaf people on AIM back in the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

DeadAIM was the superior client by far

• Locked thread