Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
OOC Thread

<Cast to go here>

<Description of School facilities and local area to go here>

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The First Week
Season: Late Summer
Current Scene: Dining Hall

The sun rose serenely over the school. Whether people had arrived the day before, or had come from further afield and had arrived earlier, today was the day that you began lessons. While the school had two classrooms, Ashe had decided to hold the first session outside to enjoy the pleasant weather. Breakfast was a good chance to get to know your other students and teachers a little better before the classes began. Well one of them at least, Mervahn had not come down from his tower yet and so you were left to dine with Ashe in the morning. The dining room looked like it could fit another five tables comfortably, but for the time being was made to feel less empty by a number of mysterious crates and piles covered by sheets.

Ashe was not wearing her customary armor this morning, instead dressing in a simple but comfortable looking leather vest, practical working pants and a pair of fine leather boots. She was eating a mix of fruit and bread, which had been brought in by the serving staff along with your own food. The serving staff today was a young boy by the name of Edward who apparently worked for a farm nearby. He was old enough to be annoying and underfoot to his family, but not quite old enough to be working in the fields or apprenticed off to a trade. While he was excited by all the new people and by Ashe, his masters, a kind couple by the names of Harold and Giselle kept him on a short leash. While Ashe had clearly chosen a simple breakfast, all students had been assured that they could be cooked for and that arrangements for approximations of their native cuisines could be organised if given enough warning.

Your classes today were in order: An Introduction to Magic in the morning, and the Basics of Dungeon Ecology in the afternoon. These would continue for the week, after which a new pair of lessons would be taught. Ashe and Mervahn would be present in each and take a share of the teaching, although it seemed clear that there would be more input when there was an area of specialty. Magic obviously would prominently feature Mervahn. Perhaps this was the source of a slight annoyance with Ashe that her companion had not seen fit to be present for the meal this morning.

I'll add in a few details and characters to the opening post to make it easier for everyone (including myself) to track. For now I'll let people introduce and mingle a bit before we go into lessons, which will be done as a montage across a week.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 25, 2016

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Not needing to sleep nor eat, Sartre arrives to the dining hall more to meet their new classmates and mingle than anything else. Seeing that no other student has shown up yet, Sartre goes to greet the only person whose name they know. "Good morning Headmistress Ashe. How are you today?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharona has made a point of having a traditional dwarven breakfast, even though it's taken two plates. A growing girl needs red meat at breakfast, that's what her mother always said. Between that, the bread, the mushroom pancakes (and fruit, because Sharona didn't get that much of it at home), the three scrambled eggs and the roasted beetles, she's quite happy. And more than capable of eating it all, given her size.

"I can't believe we're not having any music courses with this. I mean, yeah, magic's important, and...I guess dungeon ecology is probably important, but still! I mean, the arts are important! My father says that they're what keeps civilization from falling apart. Music, craftwork, poetry...well, I guess technically magic's an art, too, but..." But she hasn't been good at anything but poetic magic, and even then, only with a lot of effort.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Aspects: None | FP: OOO | Physical: OOO | Mental: OOO | Consequences: Mild/Moderate/Severe

Rin still isn't quite sure what to make of some of her fellow students, but she knows she likes Sharona already. Her own breakfast is quite a bit lighter - a piece of fruit, some rice, grilled fish, and iced coffee, very traditionally elven. But Rin has taken to sampling a bit of the other student's cuisine, and today she's trying some dwarven foods, particularly the roasted beetles and a mushroom pancake. She seems to have enjoyed the former more than the latter.

"There might be some later," the elf chimes in. Not that Rin needs more lessons in those subjects, but maybe some information on how to apply them to adventuring... "But either way, there's no reason we couldn't do something ourselves. I wouldn't mind having people over on our off days for that kind of thing. Kawa could make pastries too."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 26, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

FP OOO Physical OO Mental OOOO Consequences Mild/Moderate/Severe

If I'm late for breakfast, it's only because I'm trying to figure out if bringing Rennie with me to the dining hall is against the rules. Not finding anything conclusive either way, I finally give up and just decide that he'll join me until someone complains. I'm not used to seeing so few people at breakfast--my family is large and I'm usually the littlest except for my stupid, stupid little brother. I can take my time and pick out the breakfast I want--sausages and eggs, thank you very much, with some diced potatoes as well, and to top it all off a slice of toast with strawberry jam.

"I'm a growing girl, and I need to eat, okay?" I say in response to Rennie's silent teasing about the size of my breakfast. I listen to the elf and the...dwarf...? for a few moments as I settle into my seat and tuck in.

"Of course magic's an art! Most people have to study for years to get any good at it, but the basics should be easy enough to pick up, even if you're not talented with magic."

I don't add, "Like I am!" I'm sure they'll figure that out without me rubbing it in.

"Um, not that I'm saying that other kinds of art aren't neat too, though," I add. Wouldn't do to be mean about it, after all.

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lucia makes sure to get to breakfast right on the dot, not a minute early or late. As she finishes her modest breakfast, she chimes in on the conversation.

"I trust the judgement of Miss Ashe on our lesson plan. As expert adventurers, they obviously know the best way to teach us."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Ashe smiles a little and says gently; "We cannot teach everything at once. Both Mervahn and I discussed at length what sort of classes we should teach and at what points. He will be teaching the magic class of course, but I can tell you that it is not about teaching you all how to use magic but instead about magic itself. Even if you don't use magic yourself, your companions will and it is good to know the limits to their abilities. Many people in this world use magic for ill deeds, and there are beasts and other beings that can use it as well. Basic knowledge of magic saves lives." It sounded like a speech she had given a few times. There wasn't the cadence and familiarity in the words that would betray an oft spoken adage, but Ashe was speaking confidently and without pausing to chose words. It was something she had said before.

A minute or so after Ashe had spoken, Mervahn walked in one of the doors. His eyes were a little red and the black shadows under his eyes told a story of a night without enough sleep. He asked for a similar breakfast to Sharona, although notably his fruit was fermented and came in a cup instead of on a plate. His companion gave him a look with a flicker of annoyance, but nothing was said and she continued to eat and listen to the conversation.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

"Magic class sounds neat but I'm also pretty curious about dungeon ecology." Sartre takes a seat to join the conversation. "Does the school have an actual dungeon for us to go into? With actual monsters and stuff?" Sartre was secretly hoping to there would be an owlbear. One of the things they occasionally missed about home was being able to wrestle with the owlbears.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Aspects: None | FP: OOO | Physical: OOO | Mental: OOO | Consequences: Mild/Moderate/Severe

Rin nods at Tabetha, smiling, and hums a few bars, her face lighting up - literally. A little swirl of sparkling light and the colors of Rin's hair and eyes brighten, like she's standing in a perfect sunny field. It fades quickly when she stops though, looking a bit embarrassed. "Though I don't think that's quite what you mean..."

Sartre's suggestion gives her an easy topic change. "That would be amazing! I've never been in an actual dungeon before. Just a barrow."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Mervahn paused in the middle of eating his breakfast, swallowed his food loudly and hastily and answered; "I will be creating tailored dungeons to each lesson. Although you may be disappointed to find that the early ones are rather mundane in their creation. As for why, you will all be finding that out soon enough." He took a swig of his ale and drank loudly, contrasting to the slower and more polite manner in which Ashe ate her meal.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I watch in surprise at Rin's display of magic. "Ooh, that was really neat!" I clap my hands softly in excitement.

"Rennie thinks so too!" I add.

I listen to the teachers talk about what we'll be doing and nod. That all seems sensible and logical.
"I don't know about dungeons," I say, "but I didn't like going into the basement alone at home. One time my big brothers thought it would be funny to lock me in there all alone for hours." I shudder, remembering.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"My family...well, they created a fair few dungeons of their own." Lucia kinda looks away in embarrassment of her evil lineage.

"For example, you know the Tomb of Horrors? That was created by my great grandfather, Reaper Ashfear. I'm so ashamed...however, I should have enough knowledge to surmount one if need be."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharona grimaces slightly. "I'm not...bad at magic, I just prefer working with my voice and hands." Total self-confidence is required for a war poet, after all. Never admit to being bad at things! "Anyway, dungeon's always a weird word. I mean, they're not really dungeons, like, the way a fort would have them. Is it an elf word that just sounds the same or something?"

She gestures vaguely with a piece of steak.

"That's what I always guessed, anyway, but I don't speak elf. And - wait, the Tomb of Horrors, really? My great grandma tried to help clear that out once." Pause. "Didn't work, but she did destroy a lich before she died. There's a whole tapestry at home about it."

Pause.

"What's a Rennie?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

RIn shakes her head at Sharona. "It's not elvish. Well, it is, but not that way." She stops to order her thoughts. "We call them dungeons as well - or, ダンジョン. But we got the word from adventurers, and it doesn't mean the other kind of dungeon in our language."

"Maybe it came from gnomish?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"Rennie is my FAMILIAR!" I say proudly, indicating the cute little fox who is sitting on the floor by my feet. "He talks but only I can hear it."

I'm not sure about what this whole Tomb of Horrors thing is. Maybe it's something that older people know about. I keep quiet there.
Elvish, on the other hand, I can speak--at least a little! My big brothers taught me to say good morning.
"あなたはくさいです!" I say to Rin, beaming.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

RIn stares at Tabetha for a moment, clearly shocked. She starts to say something, looking upset, then really catches Tabetha's expressios. Instead of what she was going to say, she replies, "Uhm I hope not!" She almost can't finish it before she cracks up laughing. It takes a moment before she can speak again.

"Actually it's おはようございます. What you said means... well, it means 'you stink.'"

ダンジョン - Danjon. Dungeon.
あなたはくさいです - Anata wa kusai desu. You stink.
おはようございます - Ohayō gozaimasu. Good morning.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 28, 2016

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I stare for a moment at Rin and realize that my brothers were lying to me when they taught me that--those jerks!
I blink as tears well up in my eyes and I am forced to sniffle to keep my nose from running everywhere.
"S-sorry," I say, managing not to turn it into a wail. "I...my brothers told me...I didn't know."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

「 お茶を注ぐしてください。湯のみは空で、天気は寒い外です 」Mervahn replies in fluent Elven without raising his eyes from his breakfast. Ashe snorts at him showing off.

"Don't let it bother you Tabetha, it was very clear from the way that you said it that you did not understand what it actually meant and also that you did not mean what you were saying."

Ashe tried to be calming and sympathetic to the upset young woman sitting near to her.

Please pour the tea, my cup is empty and the weather is cold. Probably not perfectly idiomatic but I don't have my dictionary and Japanese IME installed at work so I had to finagle with Google Translate.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Clara finally enters the dining room, still rubbing some sleep out of her eyes. Realizing that she's the last person to arrive, she stammers out a hurried "I'm sorry!" before sitting down and munching on some toast and jam. If you look closely, her teeth and mouth seem to be stained a...bright orange?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin nods at Ashe's words. "That's right! I know how siblings are, I have five little sisters. Don't worry!" She looks around and decides she needs to do something more.

She hops up from the table and starts singing. "おはようございます!' She hops over behind Sharona. "Sharona-chan," then twirls over a step, "Lucia-chan" and a skip, "Sartre-chan," and a hop "Clara-chan!" The poor new arrival probably has no idea what's going on, suddenly having a dancing elf with a her own self-generated light show and backing music in her face. "おはよう!" As she moves, she uses her magic to cause little flowers to pop up around each named person.

"おはようございます!," she gestures with both hands to the dwarf, but doesn't dance over near him, exactly. "Rin-chan," she points to herself, then slides back over to the last spot. "Rennie-chan!" Then she hops behind Tabetha and raises both hands. "Tabetha-chan! おはよう!"

She smiles and winks before taking her place again, turning increasingly deep shades of red, not sure it was an adventuring solution, but probably the right thing to do.

To the tune of this.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Sartre starts clapping once Rin's performance ends. "That was really cool! What spell did you use for the lights?" They lean in excitedly in anticipation of Rin's answer.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I'm entranced by Rin's performance, and it makes me feel much better. I sniffle again, but now I'm smiling, and clapping!
"Rennie liked it too!" I say helpfully.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Blearily munching on her 3rd slice of toast, Clara just lets the elf's cheery morning music wash over her. It's too early for this sort of thing, she thinks to herself. She catches a glimpse of her reflection in the butter knife she picks up for slice #4...dangit. "uh, Mr. Mervahn, sir? Could you point me towards the apothecary after breakfast? Tooth Cleaning Solution #34 seems to have an unintended side effect, and I'd like to look presentable for the first day of class..."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin is still a bit red, but answers Sartre's question. "It's not really a specific spell; it's a different kind of magic. It's sort of woven into the music. And it's kind of limited too. I have to be singing, or at least humming, and dancing makes it work better. The lighting and stuff is just to make it look nice; the useful part is when I extend it to the audience. When I do that, I can empower them. It's a lot more subtle than the magic a wizard or a witch can do."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sharona does not understand a single word of elvish. This results in her looking vaguely suspicious, unsure if she's being made fun of or not. It sounds like a children's song, but...but songs are powerful and have meaning. This is a different sort of power than she's used to, though.

"...that's your kind of song magic?"

At least she doesn't sound angry, though she kind of looks it, in part because ogres are very good at looking angry.

"It's not much like the stuff I know. But, uh, I wouldn't...demonstrate that on you." For one, war poetry isn't especially good at being harmless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Very impressive, Rin! My, such talents in this class! I have a lot of catching up to do, I see!"

Lucia wipes her mouth and turns to the two teachers.

"When does class begin? I'd like to get there early to get the best seat right in front!"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Ashe and Mervahn exchanged a glance at each other as the rest of the scene unfolded. They waited until Mervahn had finished his current mouthful and for a pause in the conversation.

We'll be outside today Lucia, there won't be any chairs. Not unless you bring one with you I suppose.
This isn't a grand library or academy, with six students you won't have to compete to get a clear view and hear the lesson.
Exactly. And you can ask as many questions as you want.
While we're adults, or nearly adults, and we don't want to treat you like children...
Make sure you use your own magic or talents responsibly.
There isn't a rule, but blowing up or bewitching a companion isn't going to build trust or help you in the thick of danger.

Mervahn paused and looked at Clara.

I take it that's your own concoction?
I don't remember us ordering anything to whiten or clean teeth...
I can assure you that we did not.
The apothecary is me, as long as I can find my books, or there's one in town.
But I'm afraid you don't have time to go there before we start.
If orange teeth really bother you come with me after we finish eating and I'll get you sorted out somehow.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 30, 2016

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Clara sheepishly looks down into her glass of milk. "Thank you, Professor Mervyn. I'll try to limit my experiments to after-class..."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Mervahn nodded and shoveled more food into his mouth, which ruined any series mentorship he might be trying to project at that moment. He took Clara off to his tower, which was connected to the main building by a hallway. The bottom floor seemed like a well furnished guest room, and he asked her to remain there for a moment while he gathered his materials for the lesson. After returning from the upper floors, he came over to Clara and asked her to smile. As she did he muttered something in dwarven and clicked his fingers.

"All done." He said and carried a book with him as well as some chalk and other odds and ends. Beckoning to Clara they headed out to the field where the rest of the class had gathered.

"Okay, so the number one rule about magic is that it is not free. It costs effort or energy to do any sort of magic."

Mervahn made a square shape with his fingers and expanded it out, then after saying a small limerick about indelible darkness summoned a chalkboard. He took a breath and then continued speaking;

"Now it would have taken me as much effort to carry this chalk board down from my tower."

He looked to the class and paused for a second.

"So, anyone have any questions or thoughts about this so far?"

If people have relevant skills they want to roll to get some insight about this feel free to roll.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Guldor had surprisingly few books on magical theory, something to do with druids passing down their magical knowledge orally. So Sartre goes to their old stand-by when they don't know something: lots and lots of questions.

"So if doing something through magic takes the same effort as doing it without, is magic mostly used for when normal methods aren't possible or practical? Has anyone found ways to bypass these limitations? What if you want to cast a spell that doesn't have a mundane analogue, like perhaps scrying?"

Sartre holds their (metaphorical) tongue, remembering they should probably let the headmaster answer questions before asking new ones.

Rolled investigate to ask questions about magic: 4dF+2 3

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"That depends on a lot of things. For example, for a weak man carrying a large boulder is difficult or impossible as he lacks the strength to carry. He can do this with magic, but will feel as tired as if he had carried it by hand. Magic is another muscle that has its own strength, yet takes energy. When it comes to physical tasks, the amount of effort is similar even though the muscle is different. For tasks not possible by men and women of dwarf-like form, such as humans or elves, there is still a cost but it is not the same. There is a lot of nuance to it, and sharing the cost with others helps greatly, but this is but a simple lesson to introduce the concept." Mervahn replied to the tomata's question, but smiled and seemed pleased by the insight behind it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin has been taking notes! The characters in her handwriting tend to be big and loopy, but the words are direct, to-the-point, and comprehensive. She bites her lip as she rereads what she just wrote down, then raises her hand.

"Is there a difference with specialized forms of magic? Like my spellsongs or druidic magic. Does the fact that its more limited or has special requirements make it easier to do?"

Ask questions about magic [Lore]: 4dF+2 2

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Mervahn shook his head slightly. "The answer is complicated, but the simple answer is yes but not because of its limitations or special requirements. The reason with bardic magic you bind it into a song, so the cost of it is split into a physical cost as well. A Druid shares the cost with nature spirits, or in a pinch their own innate connection to the Nature itself. Where there is a way to ameliorate the cost, through a shared burden, something else paying the cost, an implement or some other structure it is easier for the caster to do. That is why what I did was so much more taxing, because I did it only with my own raw power and I had no kind of tool or structure."

The dwarf wizard drew a couple of magic forms on the board: a magic circle, an equation, an incantation, an alchemical recipe and a prayer.

"Quick question. Which of these is similar to which others, and for what reasons? If you don't know that's fine, this question is a little more advanced than the scope of this lesson but it will be good to get all of you thinking about it."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

I've been quiet since the lesson, lost in my own thoughts. I know witchery can't do some of the things that Master Mervahn is demonstrating, but it doesn't take as much power, either.
I realize when he asks a question of the class, though, that I'd better demonstrate that I have some knowledge, or else nobody's going to treat me with any respect.
I raise my hand.
"Um, are the incantation and the prayer linked, because they're spoken? And, um, the equation and the alchemical recipe, because of the formulas?"
I'm not entirely confident I've got it right, and I'm certain I haven't got everything, but at least nobody can tell me I didn't answer any questions in one of the classes that I should be excelling in...

Rolled Witchery to figure out connection!
[01:44] <MollyMetroid> .roll 4df
[01:44] <skybot> MollyMetroid: -2 (4df=+, -, -, -)
With a +4 for Witchery, that comes out to 2.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

"That's correct. That's not the whole answer, they are actually all linked in a way, but I will cover that in another lesson." Mervahn said nodding with approval.

The rest of the lessons that week concerned mostly the idea that if you could either separate a spellcaster from their implement or prevent them from using gestures or sound, then casting became difficult for them. For many spellcasters that had only figured out a few spells, usually lethal, on their own then you might even shut them down completely. It could save the lives of an adventurer and their companions in a pinch.

Next it was time for Ashe's lessons.

"Let's start it simple." She said to the group of students. Unlike Mervahn she had no tools or aids with her to teach. "If you were in a dungeon, right now, what is the most important thing you'd do first?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Rin had heard something about that - she thinks then raises her hand again. "Make sure I know the way out."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"My father would say to make sure the monsters were underfed...Most of my dungeon experience is on the other side of the coin..."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

"But wouldn't that mean that your fathe--oh." I realize I've put my foot in my mouth just an instant too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"....Now's not the time to talk about it."

• Locked thread