Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Airquake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fear did so much good stuff with first person combat. Shame so few other games bothered to try

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Conker: Live & Reloaded on Xbox from 2005-2010. To this day it's one of very few games to feature a multiplayer story campaign and it was an awesome mashup/parody of Wolfenstein: ET, Team Fortress, Halo and Battlefield. It seems really unknown and under-rated now compared to other MP games of the era despite how innovative it was. In terms of graphics and depth/quality of 3rd-person gameplay there was nothing else like Conker at the time, even on PC. On the surface it looks like a cartoonish, tacked-on casual game but there was actually a huge amount of depth and features, like a proto-TF2 with vehicles (even cockpit view for the gunships).

What made Conker unique in the landscape of multiplayer games, even today really, is the campaign mode for 16 players where each map is built around its own unique mission mode, like a D-Day beach assault, or a 1-way staged objectives map or hybrid CTF+conquest, with story elements and cutscenes, versus most other MP games where maps are basic arena-style for TDM/CTF, etc. I think the closest modern successors would be PvZ: Garden Warfare and Titanfall.

It also had a cable car map set between 2 forts!. Probably my favourite multiplayer map ever, Castle von Tedistein (skip to 1:30). The interface is terribly cluttered with icons and names though, one of the big flaws of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiIP4LHIN0I&t=90s

I love cable car/gondola levels in games, but the only others I know of are 007: Nightfire and the Summit map in BLOPS 1. We're badly starved for MP games with maps that have automated transport like trams, cable cars and monorails; there's just something really fun about them in an online environment.

psyman fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 4, 2016

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

Whenever threads like this pop up I always think we should arrange a steam group for weekly old game revivals or something but :effort:

I've always wanted coop buddies for classic Doom/Blood/Duke3D/etc, etc.

But I never got to experience that :sigh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

psyman posted:

I love cable car/gondola levels in games, but the only others I know of are 007: Nightfire and the Summit map in BLOPS 1. We're badly starved for MP games with maps that have automated transport like trams, cable cars and monorails; there's just something really fun about them in an online environment.

You and me both, buddy. That Nightfire map was incredible, in an otherwise completely unremarkable game. I really wish good and/or popular games would make more use of them, aside from the aforementioned summit map from BLOPS 1 (which I've never played).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Rune Quake.

• Locked thread