Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ratedargh posted:

What do you think the odds are that it eventually is available in Canada?

I'm cautiously optimistic because TCM does have a Canadian channel on cable with specialized programming to comply with CanCon requirements so they must at least have somebody in their programming department and legal teams who have already worked out Canadian rights to a lot of their library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I do wish they would make it easier to categorize and seek out specific filmmakers, stars, movements, etc. Their spotlights are good, but they're not easily sortable. Plus, when I'm looking through the entire list of FilmStruck and Criterion Channel it'd be really nice to sort in ways other than alphabetical (say a dropdown list of tags like Neorealism, New Hollywood, specific directors, etc.) Right now it feels very much like a Wal-Mart DVD bin, scrounging around for whatever you can find.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Is there a home release for "Love You More"?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

TrixRabbi posted:

I do wish they would make it easier to categorize and seek out specific filmmakers, stars, movements, etc. Their spotlights are good, but they're not easily sortable. Plus, when I'm looking through the entire list of FilmStruck and Criterion Channel it'd be really nice to sort in ways other than alphabetical (say a dropdown list of tags like Neorealism, New Hollywood, specific directors, etc.) Right now it feels very much like a Wal-Mart DVD bin, scrounging around for whatever you can find.

A sortable list would be ideal, like what you see on Criterion's website - sort by director, year, length, genre, spine number, etc.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A sortable list would be ideal, like what you see on Criterion's website - sort by director, year, length, genre, spine number, etc.

Given their partnership and that the TCM website has a similar catalogue you would think this would be easy.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
A search for 'Z' does not even return the film 'Z' because it's in some special subcategory. It doesn't even show up when you search Costa-Gavras. How was indexing films by director via search an oversight?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Also a month into using it I logged in and got a banner ad for The Films of Kevin Smith

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Does anyone have a solution for the buffering problem because holy poo poo

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Silver Brushes posted:

Also a month into using it I logged in and got a banner ad for The Films of Kevin Smith

Rome had Fellini, Stockholm had Bergman, and New Jersey had Kevin Smith.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Has anyone figured out how to get the Android TV app not to stretch the aspect ratio to widescreen for content that isn't widescreen?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Every time I see a post in this thread I click on it hoping to see that an announcement's been made on the planned PS4 app. "Mid 2017" is kinda vague, they might have it ready by May 1st or we could be waiting until August.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Every time I see a post in this thread I click on it hoping to see that an announcement's been made on the planned PS4 app. "Mid 2017" is kinda vague, they might have it ready by May 1st or we could be waiting until August.

Same. I'm probably gonna cancel until the PS4 app happens.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, I'm holding out for PS4 support.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Blah, the Android TV app has a lot of stuttering and black frame issues. Was really excited to try it out on the new TV and this is really disappointing.

Hope the PS4 app y'all's is waiting for isn't riddled with problems.

edit: messing with the Sony TV's cinemotion settings seems to cause the stuttering problems, a restart fixes it and everything seems to work fine now.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 31, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Basebf555 posted:

Are we still looking at "Spring" for Roku?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there any tracking of what's leaving streaming and when? Do only the Filmstruck things rotate and the Criterion ones stay up perpetually?

OregonDonor posted:

A search for 'Z' does not even return the film 'Z' because it's in some special subcategory. It doesn't even show up when you search Costa-Gavras. How was indexing films by director via search an oversight?

I understand it having trouble with a single-letter title, but the director name stuff is really weird. "Buñuel" and "Bunuel" weren't giving me anything the other day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a stupid question, but filmstruck doesn't have the entire criterion library, does it? I just searched Whit Stillman and nothing came up. It has so much that I just guessed it was complete, minus things that went out of print.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14585&start=825#p582171

quote:

As of this evening (May 4, 2017), Filmstruck is sending out invitations to become a beta tester for the Roku version. One may sign up for this (if one hasn't already received an invitation) on the Filmstruck help page.

https://help.filmstruck.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000301047-Movies-Leaving-FilmStruck

Comprehensive list of films leaving the service

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Thanks - I would have felt like a grade A chump if I missed Velvet Goldmine before it leaves later this month, that's one I've been looking out for since the AV Club's New Cult Canon series.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Has there been any updates on when FilmStruck will be available in Canada?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Anyone else having the issue where you have to login to Filmstruck every time you close the android app? Happens both on my phone and when I reboot Android TV.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Anyone else having the issue where you have to login to Filmstruck every time you close the android app? Happens both on my phone and when I reboot Android TV.

I get the visitor homepage every time I open it on my PC but it doesn't actually ask for credentials once I hit the log in button. Annoying behavior for sure, and I hope they try to improve the overall service

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yo I don't know what the best way to do this would be, but I've found I'm paying for my FilmStruck account but not using it very often. Would anyone be interested in organizing a FilmStruck film club where we can have discussion threads about a Film of the Week (or every other week)?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Yo I don't know what the best way to do this would be, but I've found I'm paying for my FilmStruck account but not using it very often. Would anyone be interested in organizing a FilmStruck film club where we can have discussion threads about a Film of the Week (or every other week)?

If you're a fan of Laser Time, I'm organizing something similar to this on our community Facebook page. It's monthly, though.

I could be down with taking part in a thing like that here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Roku channel is out of beta and live for all.

• Locked thread