Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I enjoyed the Illuminatus! trilogy and some of Wilson's other books but they aren't horror at all and there's nothing remotely scary in them? I mean yeah he refers to cults sometimes but it's always in the form of over the top parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Talmonis posted:

Anyone know of any cult related horror novels that were good? I'm looking to do some fictional research, as it's a subject that scares the hell out of me from the non-fiction I've read.

The Nightmare Girl by Jonathan Janz.

This book creeped me the hell out. It's the first I read of his but it was recommended to me by a friend and I'm glad it was.

The premise is pretty plausible, which makes it worse.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Troop by Nick Cutter is on sale for Kindle for $2. The offer won't last long.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

I enjoyed the Illuminatus! trilogy and some of Wilson's other books but they aren't horror at all and there's nothing remotely scary in them? I mean yeah he refers to cults sometimes but it's always in the form of over the top parody

I mean, the concept of Literally Nazi ABBA taking over the world is kind of frightening.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I just got done with pretty much his entire non-fiction catalog that's still in print. Now it looks like next up is the Historical Illuminatus Chronicles.

Have you by any chance read the Shrodinger's Cat trilogy?

Yeah, it's great, but it's been a long time, I'm way overdue to re-read it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

precision posted:

I mean, the concept of Literally Nazi ABBA taking over the world is kind of frightening.

It really isn't

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well at any rate I was only recommending it because cults came up, specifically old cults like the Golden Dawn, not because it's scary. :)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Golden Dawn were not a cult, as has been stated.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

The Golden Dawn were not a cult, as has been stated.

That's debatable. I don't believe they are one, and if they are then I'm a cult member. But somebody specifically mentioned them so I recommended something. OK I'm glad we had this derail.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

if they are then I'm a cult member

hahah

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

anyway

here is a novel I recommend its a quick read and powerful Colline (also called Hill or Hill of Destiny) by Jean Giorno

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been thinking you guys have been referring to the Greece political party, rather than the weird lovely hermetic freemason knockoffs.

I was confused for a few posts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Collector by John Fowles is a pretty creepy read.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates was pretty creepy--it's written as a journal of a serial killer, and I remember really enjoying it.

It's a short story, and everybody has probably read in school, but one that always sticks with me is Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. Actually, pretty much everything she has written is pretty amazing. My personal favorite is We Have Always Lived In The Castle. Not sure if I'd call it horror, but it's certainly haunting.

Finally, the non-fiction book Deviant: True Story of Ed Gein, the Original Psycho by Harold Schechter is fascinating, a little gross, creepy, and surprisingly, kind of sympathetic...

[edit] Oh, oh--forgot The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (the Culture series guy). Disturbing stuff.

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 2, 2016

Suspect Device
Jan 18, 2005

Always Intense
I found Summer of Night by Dan Simmons to be way better than his other horror novels.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

John Howard Griffen's "Black Like Me" made me really anxious and uncomfortable in away that most non-fiction books decidedly don't. The situation he basically put himself in, willingly, in such a way that he couldn't easily extract himself really got to me.

Dweller by Jeff Strand rates super high. Essentially, a young boy befriends a bigfoot. You think it is going to be charming and cute. Instead of it being a "Harry and the Hendersons" moment, it turns out his bigfoot totally kills and eats people. It is this odd story of friendship, and horrific, devastating self destruction.

Pressure by Jeff Strand hit me really hard too. Similar in some ways to Dweller, but a lot less charming. It is really overwhelming and relentless.

Strand is really good at getting you to feel really good about something, and then just absolutely crushing you. It made for an interesting experience when I read his book Kumquat, which it turns out, is a really adorable romantic comedy. Not knowing that, I kept waiting for the shoe to drop.

I also just finished Richard Laymon's "The Traveling Vampire Show" which was a nice surprise. I read "The Cellar" and it made me feel dirty, (a woman and her young daughter go on the run from her rapist/child predator husband and end up in a house with a rape monster... ugh) so I was reluctant to give Laymon a second chance. He did a really good job slowly building the tension and letting it go, and then ending with a fit of pure insanity.

Jack Ketchum's "The Lost" and "Ladies Night" hit pretty hard too. "The Lost" mainly because it is heavily based on real people. (I can't bring myself to read The Girl Next Door after seeing the film version), and reading about the story it was based on.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dude, Jeff Strand is fun. I wish he was more popular than he is. I have never been disappointed from a book by him.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Roydrowsy posted:

I also just finished Richard Laymon's "The Traveling Vampire Show" which was a nice surprise. I read "The Cellar" and it made me feel dirty, (a woman and her young daughter go on the run from her rapist/child predator husband and end up in a house with a rape monster... ugh) so I was reluctant to give Laymon a second chance. He did a really good job slowly building the tension and letting it go, and then ending with a fit of pure insanity.

Richard Laymon is great: EVERYONE in his stories is always completely loving crazy. I love how his protagonists invariably take the dumbest and most inexplicable route possible in any situation. I read one of his books where a young woman living in an isolated house is menaced by a sinister sexual predator, who she shoots dead. This being Laymon, naturally she concludes that, rather than call the police at this point, a far better solution is to cut up the body with an axe and try to dispose of it herself. From there things just escalate like the nursery rhyme about the old lady who swallowed a fly ...

Roydrowsy posted:

I can't bring myself to read The Girl Next Door

I did, and regretted it. That wasn't a fun read.

quote:

"I mean that sometimes what you see is pain. Pain in its cruelest, purest form. Without drugs or sleep or even shock or coma to dull it for you. You see it and you take it in. And then it's you. You're host to a long white worm that gnaws and eats, growing, filling your intestines until finally you cough one morning and up comes the blind pale head of the thing sliding from your mouth like a second tongue."

I mean, that paragraph in chapter 1 should probably have clued me in to what the rest of the book would be like. Oh well, you live and learn.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I remember the first time I read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It was around midnight or so, and I remember thinking about the absolute cold randomness and implacability of the murders. I stood up and made sure the doors were locked, and then I woke up my dog made him sleep in the room with me. God, that book scared me to death.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I remember the first time I read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It was around midnight or so, and I remember thinking about the absolute cold randomness and implacability of the murders. I stood up and made sure the doors were locked, and then I woke up my dog made him sleep in the room with me. God, that book scared me to death.

I just finished it, and I agree.

(Small spoilers, as the actual murders aren't described until the last part of the book:) I think what was most horrific is when interviewed, Perry, the sympathetic of the two murderers, admits to killing in an automatic fashion. He morally knows it's wrong, he knows he's not going to get away from it, he's scared and feels bad that the victims are scared, and he describes himself as an audience, watching himself take a knife to Mr. Cutter's throat, and then the rest of the family.

It's a very impressive book, since every section gets a new narrator, and there's plenty of room for doubt in the confessions.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Kurtz posted:

The coldness of the murders and the blood involved certainly is scary

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear. It's not a traditional choice, but if you read past the cutesy kid-friendly language the human characters use this is a book full of incredibly hosed up people doing awful things to themselves and everyone around them even as you slowly start to realize what a likewise hosed up universe they live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear. It's not a traditional choice, but if you read past the cutesy kid-friendly language the human characters use this is a book full of incredibly hosed up people doing awful things to themselves and everyone around them even as you slowly start to realize what a likewise hosed up universe they live in.

Even as a sci fi loving teen that book was really quite awful.

• Locked thread