Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

reminder that synderen has come in last place at like 4 out of 5 TIs

hes like crash davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

stringball posted:

Gonna post the nahaz spergout again, why would mafia do something like this to someone, implying nahaz wasn't a sperger already

https://youtu.be/7fBfmPENyK0

but was he actually mafia

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

hes like crash davis

the only one he didn't get last place in was the one he wasn't at.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/758864166782312451

Good job, USA.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Does that dude work at Valve

he posts on reddit a lot

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

drunken officeparty posted:

he posts on reddit a lot

no, and I think he's actually in India oddly enough

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

lmao thats it? oh my god kill me now
and you posted that like it answers everything

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Ambivalent posted:

hes like crash davis

true but he's always made it to the main event at least

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

he posts on reddit a lot

IIRC he was an old school beta tester for icefrog and is also in the internal beta. He just kinda ended up being the unofficial community guy.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

rip synderen

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Majuju posted:

true but he's always made it to the main event at least

the last three years hasnt it been like impossible for a team to not make it to main stage

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Luna Was Here posted:

the last three years hasnt it been like impossible for a team to not make it to main stage

whoa really? sign me up then

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

TI3 if you won the west/east qualifier you were 14/15 slot and then there was a wildcard. TI4 was the weird "only eight teams will make it to main stage" brackets, with all the hotel games for VIPs and poo poo. TI5 is same format as this year's where every team plays at least a Bo1 at Key.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Majuju posted:

TI3 if you won the west/east qualifier you were 14/15 slot and then there was a wildcard. TI4 was the weird "only eight teams will make it to main stage" brackets, with all the hotel games for VIPs and poo poo. TI5 is same format as this year's where every team plays at least a Bo1 at Key.

and it was that terrible format where we knew the first finalist on day one. appalling mess. and the "vip" room was just a large hotel conference suite with irritating lighting and uncomfortable seating. glad they abandoned that idea honestly.

if I remember what I was thinking at the four TIs I've actually been at (I have no idea about the other 2, I missed out on TI1 and was only just getting into the game at TI2 so could barely follow it) it was

TI3: CHINA IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE THEY CAN FARM ALL DAY AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES WHAT DO WE DO HOLY poo poo WE BEAT THEM
TI4: CHINESE DEATHBALL IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE AND THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER PLEASE MAKE IT STOP
TI5: THANK GOD THE META IS GOOD THIS YEAR AND THERE ARE CHINESE TEAMS NOT PUTTING PEOPLE TO SLEEP
TI6: JESUS THERE ARE FOUR TEAMS THAT ARE CONSIDERED FAVOURITES BUT WINGS NEED TO WIN THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE CRAZY

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Boys, I found my Team Secret TI6 meme

https://twitter.com/BuLbaDotA/status/758921353625907200

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm still sad TI4 will forever be remembered for 'DEATHBALL' because that's what VG used to kick everyone out and not all the other crazy stuff like jungle Juggernaut.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Pyrion Flax posted:

TI3: CHINA IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE THEY CAN FARM ALL DAY AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES WHAT DO WE DO HOLY poo poo WE BEAT THEM

TI3 produced this masterpiece of korean casters literally going insane so was probably worth it just for this video

https://youtu.be/5G9O9j0DSII

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Internet Kraken posted:

have no clue what the meta is but I guess I'll watch the International.

Neither has Wings Gaming and they're one of the favorites so

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Pyrion Flax posted:

and it was that terrible format where we knew the first finalist on day one. appalling mess. and the "vip" room was just a large hotel conference suite with irritating lighting and uncomfortable seating. glad they abandoned that idea honestly.

if I remember what I was thinking at the four TIs I've actually been at (I have no idea about the other 2, I missed out on TI1 and was only just getting into the game at TI2 so could barely follow it) it was

TI4: CHINESE DEATHBALL IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE AND THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER PLEASE MAKE IT STOP
TI5: THANK GOD THE META IS GOOD THIS YEAR AND THERE ARE CHINESE TEAMS NOT PUTTING PEOPLE TO SLEEP
TI6: JESUS THERE ARE FOUR TEAMS THAT ARE CONSIDERED FAVOURITES BUT WINGS NEED TO WIN THIS BECAUSE THEY ARE CRAZY

what are your compendium picks m8

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
also nice to see you put that av code to good use

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Luna Was Here posted:

what are your compendium picks m8

OG to win it because of Miracle

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah im expecting OG to take it but im rooting for wings IN MY HEARTU~

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

are you ready for a miracle?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah no one remembers cool poo poo like the liquid mid Earth Shaker that destroyed teams in group stages at ti4. Rip

Or the c9 meepo game against VG that poo poo was so hype.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Pyrion Flax posted:

You're right, China's always the drat enemy

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

idk, I just remember everyone talking about how chinese teams wouldn't be able to adapt or were outdated or were still getting used to dota 2 or w/e

I wasnt here at the time, but this sounds really strange to me. Chinese dota was super-strong in both 2010 (dota 1) and 2011 (dota 2, ti1) was it not? I'll openly admit that my only knowledge of that period is from legends of EHOME and TI1 videos on youtube.

Pyrion Flax posted:

TI3: CHINA IS AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE THEY CAN FARM ALL DAY AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES WHAT DO WE DO

Alliance are Swedish, mate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah no one remembers cool poo poo like the liquid mid Earth Shaker that destroyed teams in group stages at ti4. Rip
Was that cockva? I seem to remember cockva ES mid.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Or the c9 meepo game against VG that poo poo was so hype.

Singsing :swoon: :allears: :smith:
(yes, I know that game was a bone7 game, let me have my moment)

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Pyrion Flax posted:

There's no way this is right. Both Alliance and Na'Vi won big tournaments in China leading up to TI3 (Alienware and something else, the tournament where Alliance did the 5 man tp Rosh at the start of the game) and China was freaking out. At the time Alliance was one of the most dominant teams we'd ever seen and people were seriously asking whether they could roll through TI3 undefeated.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

There's no way this is right. Both Alliance and Na'Vi won big tournaments in China leading up to TI3 (Alienware and something else, the tournament where Alliance did the 5 man tp Rosh at the start of the game) and China was freaking out. At the time Alliance was one of the most dominant teams we'd ever seen and people were seriously asking whether they could roll through TI3 undefeated.

There was a fear that the Chinese would just outfarm and outbore everybody. I know people think of Alliance as being boring to watch, but I personally really like split push games because they build momentum to a point where there are crazy desperation pushes, buybacks and baseraces. NaVi were the favourites as far as I can tell but there was also a concern that that opinion was just people being anti-chinese.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

YASP TI6 predictions

I'm personally gonna just scattershot OG, Liquid, and Wings players randomly around the predictions because this poo poo is impossible to figure out.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i thought the main complaint with ratting was alwas thta it was super unfun to play against, not that it was boring to watch. i love watching good splitpush games!

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

TheRat posted:

I wasnt here at the time, but this sounds really strange to me. Chinese dota was super-strong in both 2010 (dota 1) and 2011 (dota 2, ti1) was it not? I'll openly admit that my only knowledge of that period is from legends of EHOME and TI1 videos on youtube.

yeah, ti1 was a bit of an outlier at that point because none of the chinese teams had as long to practice in it. this probably sounds like a massive excuse but i remember watching a dota1 tournament shortly after ti1 with a bunch of chinese teams and basically not a single meta pick was in dota2 at that point (chaos knight, bounty hunter, brewmaster, shadow demon, etc.) if you go back and watch ehome vs navi pretty much everyone on ehome looks loving lost for a good reason, they were picking poo poo like safe lane doom bc they had no idea what the meta looked like and just got that far because most of the western teams were godawful full stop.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

god I hope jeremy lin comes back for interviews and stuff this year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Majuju posted:

YASP TI6 predictions

I'm personally gonna just scattershot OG, Liquid, and Wings players randomly around the predictions because this poo poo is impossible to figure out.

Hell, same.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Radical posted:

yeah, ti1 was a bit of an outlier at that point because none of the chinese teams had as long to practice in it. this probably sounds like a massive excuse but i remember watching a dota1 tournament shortly after ti1 with a bunch of chinese teams and basically not a single meta pick was in dota2 at that point (chaos knight, bounty hunter, brewmaster, shadow demon, etc.) if you go back and watch ehome vs navi pretty much everyone on ehome looks loving lost for a good reason, they were picking poo poo like safe lane doom bc they had no idea what the meta looked like and just got that far because most of the western teams were godawful full stop.

TI1 was extremely garbage skill-wise. Like go back and look up some vods, windrunners would straight up shackle for no reason at all and stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TheRat posted:

Alliance are Swedish, mate.

Watching Alliance crash and burn this year is gonna be kind of sad. It'll be like one those band reunions where all the old guys get back together but they completely flounder on stage.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its fairly well known now that ti2 was the first "real" ti as far as skill/meta goes

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
And even then you have stuff like "THE PLAY" which would be considered a pretty standard bkb turnaround nowadays.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Kainser posted:

And even then you have stuff like "THE PLAY" which would be considered a pretty standard bkb turnaround nowadays.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kainser posted:

I mean, the play execution wasn't really everything that made up the play though. Though Dendi's execution during the play was pretty sick. He force-staffs himself out of range of Ravage, lifts the Lina, then steals Ravage (because Tide was in the black hole and couldn't Anchor Smash), then Ravages the enemy. It was also just that LoH had a BKB at ~17 minutes and that he went BKB first. It was this along with the fact that the draft and Engima build was actually just really good against Naga which had been basically unbeatable in every other game, especially Naga + Dark Seer which they had. Everyone was surprised as poo poo when they picked Juggernaut, and it turned out to be super good because of the turnaround potential. And of course, the stage it was taking place on was huge. It wasn't "standard" by any definition.

• Locked thread