Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've wanted an Evo since I was 12 and I bought one on a whim in Gran Turismo. I've had many false starts to getting an Evo, and last year I was finally in the position in life were I could afford one. Then I started doing research on the available new Evo X's and I didn't like what I saw. They got rid of the recaro's the tech inside was old. Evo IX MR's used prices are absurd. Like completely absurd and I know myself and could never trust someone enough to hand over that much. Then I heard whispers of the Focus RS coming stateside. My interest was piqued. The more I read the more I decided this car was the spiritual successor to the Evo. I found an outside forum with great information, and thankfully saw when the order banks opened, then got lucky by ordering from a dealer that had an allocation, and then lucky again that my car got built and shipped over in a somewhat timely manner.

I picked my car up Saturday June 23rd and I can say I'm so satisfied with the purchase it might be the best thing I've ever spent money on. The car is a joy in normal mode, it's got a low rumble that lets you know there's more there. I was so overwhelmed getting it home from the dealer and the purchasing process I actually forgot drive modes existed the first time I drove and never thought to enter sport before I got out of the car the first time. Then a friend came over to check it out and we went for a drive. When I changed it over to sport it was like a different car, it was mean, angry, and aggressive the first 1-2 shift I made gave me a pop and burble and I fell in love.

I don't have much comparison to what a fast car feels like, I drove a Lamborghini Gallardo in a parking lot for 3 laps around a auto-x set up as part of a birthday present once. So I don't feel like I can comment much but the car feels composed every time I get on it. No matter what the speedo has said the car remains sane. I think I like that. I'm driving the car like I would normally so far I've only put 1100~ miles on it and they've been the best 1100~ miles I've ever driven. I look forward to learning and growing with the car. I need to get off my rear end and sign up for some autox events this year and maybe a track day if I feel my skill level is there.

This is my first manual transmission car so I have a lot to learn.

Here are some pictures from when I picked the car up.

And of the car after I got it vinyl wrapped.

Pros:
Car is hella fun
Handling is great
Pops and burbles

Cons:
Gas tank is so loving tiny

Ask questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. The car is staying stock until it's paid off or I learn to drive it at the limit whichever is later(I suspect it will be paid off first since I have a lot of learning to do). Provide advice on manuals like properly downshifting, and getting your 1-2 shift in faster(which are my current issues). I haven't tried Launch Control(because of said slow speed in 1-2 shift), track mode, or drift mode so I can't provide insight on those just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That's a sick license plate frame. How much was it?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

10 bucks!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How big is the tank?

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

I'm loving the color of that vinyl wrap! What's the turbo lag like?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Seconding the nice wrap. How much did that run? Were you not able to get your first choice color?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How big is the tank?

13.9 gallons, but it feels like Ford has a gallon reserve because I've never put more than 12.4 gallons in. Even at 20.8 mpg it feels like I'm filling up constantly.

Secret Machine posted:

I'm loving the color of that vinyl wrap! What's the turbo lag like?

Thanks! I really dig the color and how it changes in light. Turbo lag seems non-existent during normal driving, but say I brake, get low to around 1k rpms, and lazily don't down shift it bogs hard up until 2500ish depending on the gear(6th is about 3000 maybe more).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
love the wrap, how much does did that cost?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wrap was $2350, I chose to wrap it because maintaining a black car seemed like a chore and I wanted the small paint protection the wrap provides. Little did I know that matte wrap gets just as if not dirtier than a black car.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 26, 2016

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

Wrap was $2350, I chose to wrap it because maintaining a black car seemed like a chore and I wanted the small paint protection the wrap provides. Little did I know that matte wrap gets just as if not dirtier than a black car.

Are there non-matte options because I too like the idea of the paint protection a wrap would provide.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

tijag posted:

Are there non-matte options because I too like the idea of the paint protection a wrap would provide.

Yup, there are satin, gloss, color changing, etc. It's a pretty cool little industry IMO.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

By the time you've gotten all the aspects of driving to the point where the time on the 1-2 shift is a significant factor, you'll probably be at speeds where you're never dropping into 1 anyway, so it's pretty much a non-issue. Focus on shifting smoothly rather than quickly. That applies for everything else too: steering, braking, throttle inputs, you wanna roll into them smoothly instead of jerking the wheel or caveman-stomping the pedal.

E: To put it another way, once you're shifting smooth the speed will come, but if you try and force it into gear for the sake of saving a few milliseconds, you'll just murder your synchros.

Launch control is just to get your wheels spinning with maximum torque and minimum wheelslip; once you're moving its job is done.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 26, 2016

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Requesting interior photos, specifically the gauge clusters, particularly them lit up at night. Would love some in car video of the tach and boost gauge as its being driven.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks! I really dig the color and how it changes in light. Turbo lag seems non-existent during normal driving, but say I brake, get low to around 1k rpms, and lazily don't down shift it bogs hard up until 2500ish depending on the gear(6th is about 3000 maybe more).

Just a word of warning about bogging the engine. I'm sure you know what LSPI is but there's already been a few cases of the 2.3 in the Mustang suffering from it. Basically in 4th or higher gears don't mash on the gas under 2500 or so because you can load up the engine and boost a piston out the side of your block. The turbo on the Focus is slightly bigger but I'm guessing spool characteristics are pretty similar IE 20psi before 3k rpm.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Buhbuhj posted:

Just a word of warning about bogging the engine. I'm sure you know what LSPI is but there's already been a few cases of the 2.3 in the Mustang suffering from it. Basically in 4th or higher gears don't mash on the gas under 2500 or so because you can load up the engine and boost a piston out the side of your block. The turbo on the Focus is slightly bigger but I'm guessing spool characteristics are pretty similar IE 20psi before 3k rpm.

Yeah this seemed like a bad idea the one time I it happened. Good to have some actual data backing that feeling.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
As far as I know it's only happened on stock automatics because I guess the computer is too stupid to downshift but I feel like it's a good practice for any GDI turbo engine anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Wrap looks really good.

I empathize on the gas tank. I find the tank to be overly small on the ST and it gets significantly better fuel economy.

How are the seats? Are they different from the ST seats in any meaningful way? I couldn't really tell from photos.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

As far as I know it's only happened on stock automatics because I guess the computer is too stupid to downshift but I feel like it's a good practice for any GDI turbo engine anyway.

Yep, it's been happening since at least the original version of the 2.3 DISI MZR. Doesn't the Ecoboost still share a lot of parts with it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Buhbuhj posted:

Any turbo engine. I don't think I've heard of any that won't boost creep and pop if you pin it at the bottom of top gear.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wrap looks really good.

I empathize on the gas tank. I find the tank to be overly small on the ST and it gets significantly better fuel economy.

How are the seats? Are they different from the ST seats in any meaningful way? I couldn't really tell from photos.

I believe the seats are a little different from the ST's but I only sat in the ST seats at the NY auto show and they felt way way tighter than the RS seats(but I have also lost a lot of weight since then). Either way the seats feel incredibly good to me. They hold tight and keep you centered very well. I'm not sure if I would still be feeling this way up 70 pounds(at 240 currently). I'll try to get some better shots when the car is not parked directly in the sun.

As for video of the gauges that will have to wait until the weekend.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Very good looking car. I know its a long shot but did the sales guy say anything about the drivetrain's ability to hold more power? Alot of rumors are saying that its near limit of power capacity.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wrap looks really good.

Just from sitting in one at Long Beach and having driven/ridden in a few STs, they felt a little less tight and more comfortable.

Although that may have also just been down to the "holy gently caress I want this car" factor.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice looking Focus! Welcome to the Focus club :)

I wonder if I can get the RS steering wheel to work on my standard Focus. Leather bound wheel would be nicer than the plastic fantastic wheel my car has.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Very good looking car. I know its a long shot but did the sales guy say anything about the drivetrain's ability to hold more power? Alot of rumors are saying that its near limit of power capacity.

Generally cars that do have an overboost (like this one) can live comfortably at that increased level of power with a retune.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I was dreading this day, the first goon RS (that I noticed).

I was down for one of these, so loving down. I was bugging the dealership and had a deposit down. It was going to be my first NEW new car. I didnt care that it was going to cost too much (to get into the first possible RS), but then I lost my job.

So instead of being excited I was fearful of seeing it for the first time knowing I couldnt have it. Now it has happened though, it's not so bad. Thats a loving sweet car man, and im sure you'll love it! I have always been anti-wrap because of how they are abused (ie matte colours on ricey old shitboxes or brand new supercars) but your car has convinced me to do it when I do eventually get a new car, it looks good and I agree with the paint protection sentiment.

Buhbuhj posted:

Im not sure what LSPI is but hasnt this been a thing for every DI small capacity turbo engine forever? I remember worrying I would blow my mazda 3 mps up, and my STi. And my GTi. I just assume it is bad form to lug a turbo 4 engine no matter what the make ...

Edit: speaking of the MPS, has this engine got anything to do with the old 2.3 DISI mazda? I assume not because that is 12 years old or whatever, but is it a descendant?

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 27, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't want to highjack the thread but yeah the 2.3 is a descendant of the Mazda. It's true that there's sort of always been a worry about LSPI but it's more of an issue now because of the twin scroll turbos they are using. These things spool pretty drat quick compared to older single scrolls. I think you really had to dog the poo poo out of the engine on a single scroll but with these twin scrolls you build boost so easily you need to be careful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

The sales guy isn't going to have any actual knowledge about this.

iwentdoodie posted:

Just from sitting in one at Long Beach and having driven/ridden in a few STs, they felt a little less tight and more comfortable.

Although that may have also just been down to the "holy gently caress I want this car" factor.

I like the ST Recaros but I'm not that heavy.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I like your style dude...both the car and yourself.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fickle poofterist Hope things pick up for you and you're able to get an RS at some point in the future. :smith:

Thanks for the welcome to the Focus Club, but I want you guys to know the first thing I did was remove the Focus badge because that font just clashes so hard with the RS badge font.

Also the steering wheel is the one thing I didn't know I needed in a car. That thing feels amazing in my hands and when I had to drive my old RAV4 the wheel felt gross as gently caress and tiny.

Thanks for all the kind words! Glad you appreciate the car(and my style :) ) as much as I do.

Edit: I appreciate the talk about LSPI and the engine history as well, I'm not as up on this engine as I was on the 4G63.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The sales guy isn't going to have any actual knowledge about this.

I wouldn't trust a car salesman to know the current weather conditions while we're standing outside in the lot, let alone tell me anything about the car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, the only way the salesguy might know is if he was an enthusiast himself and really does a poo poo-ton of research on his product.
he won't

I like the idea of the wrap though. Cool way to change the appearance of your car.

How much would something like that weigh? 5lbs? 50lbs? 100lbs?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slidebite posted:

Yeah, the only way the salesguy might know is if he was an enthusiast himself and really does a poo poo-ton of research on his product.
he won't

I like the idea of the wrap though. Cool way to change the appearance of your car.

How much would something like that weigh? 5lbs? 50lbs? 100lbs?

There is no way the wrap adds more than 10 pounds I would guesstimate with some confidence from handling the stuff

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

It seems like it adds almost two thousand pounds, actually, especially now after the brexit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

awesome car, please share more about it when you think of things.

The Aus delivered models come with the recaro shell seats standard. its a really awesome looking car and I am finally in a position where i am making bank and can probably buy one of the next allocation (realistically probably next year)

lol @ 53L tank being small. my S13 is 55L and it gets about 400kms to a tank. enough for a week of commuting and blasting through the back roads on the weekend. no idea what that is in ye olde units but its about the same power (with about half the power band) as an RS. I love my S13, its a loving ridiculous car now but its just so old. and its not even the tech/looks - I love the look, but it just FEELS old. Paint is hosed, bushes are hosed, theres a lot of money to spend for not a lot of gain and Ive had it for 8 years so its time to move into something that has all the poo poo I've done to it from the factory, and thats an RS.

I want one in Nitrous blue but I also want to wrap it to protect it :( apparently clear wraps still go yellow after a few years. oh well.

everdave posted:

There is no way the wrap adds more than 10 pounds I would guesstimate with some confidence from handling the stuff

Race cars have switched from paint to wraps since its so much lighter. Then again I have no idea how they would paint race cars that are as detailed as they are these days.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So apparently people are getting 40 whp on just a tune at 93 octane. :catstare:

I really need to autox this bad boy.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did Ford put any sense into their design of this car and actually use a decent Intercooler?

The intercooler on the Mustang is laughably lovely and is always recommended as the first mod along with a tune. Like 1 highway pull or whatever and it would heatsoak.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Buhbuhj posted:

Did Ford put any sense into their design of this car and actually use a decent Intercooler?

The intercooler on the Mustang is laughably lovely and is always recommended as the first mod along with a tune. Like 1 highway pull or whatever and it would heatsoak.

Nope same issues.

It's not just a Ford thing, Chevy has the same issues. America hasn't been consistently doing high powered FI cars like the Germans and Japanese so it seems like there's some growing pains.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KidDynamite posted:

So apparently people are getting 40 whp on just a tune at 93 octane. :catstare:

I really need to autox this bad boy.

Bet you that'll go up to 50-70 whp by end of next month. +40hp is to be completely expected on retuned turbo engines.
From what I can see a bigger intercooler could be added, though that is one cramped rear end engine bay. Heat soak is def gonna be a problem after more power.

I wonder how the awd system would handle the extra gobs of torque?
Considering the rear wheel diff is at a lower gear ratio than the fronts and supplied power through wet twin clutches plus that funky torque vectoring...
Well they would have taken into account the torque up to the overboost limit, but what about more?

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 30, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wonder how the awd system would handle the extra gobs of torque?

Hopefully better than the MS6 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ford has said they were already pushing the AWD system but we won't actually know until someone blows up center diff or whatever this car has.

• Locked thread