Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The intercooler on this car is actually too efficient and they put a blanking plate on from the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

The intercooler on this car is actually too efficient and they put a blanking plate on from the factory.
Really?

[citation needed]

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

fickle poofterist posted:

Really?

[citation needed]

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how-ford-fixed-the-focus-rss-intercooler-after-discovering-that-it-was-too-cool/

Easily removed probably.

If I hadn't bought a stingray in October, I would have rolled the dice on a RS, it's so fantastic looking.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://youtu.be/uZnJgJHrzQI

So made some video of the gauges while getting onto a byway, and then the highway. First clip is 1-2 and second is 3-4. You can see how much I lag in my 1-2 shift when trying to go fast :smith:

Edit: Just registered for my first autox! August 13th is going to be an interesting day.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 1, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Does the throttle body not run coolant lines through or they literally were icing in the intercooler? I can't imagine a little humidity building up in the bottom of an intercooler being and issue unless it gulped it up all at once?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Linux Nazi posted:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how-ford-fixed-the-focus-rss-intercooler-after-discovering-that-it-was-too-cool/

Easily removed probably.

If I hadn't bought a stingray in October, I would have rolled the dice on a RS, it's so fantastic looking.

They should've blanked out the bit behind the 'bumper' and the blue bit that runs underneath it for maximum stealth plateness imo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gave myself some curb rash this morning. I am sad as gently caress right now.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
No matter how nice, or special the car, if it gets driven stuff like that will happen.

Time for new wheels. :wiggle:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Weak.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

KidDynamite posted:

Gave myself some curb rash this morning. I am sad as gently caress right now.

Dude I did the same thing like two weeks after picking up my car. I almost cried. Guess that is the downfall of 19" wheels.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I curbed a set of new wheels driving them out of the tyre shop.

Now I just buy used and don't give a poo poo

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Super pumped right now. Im going to be joining the RS club in a couple months. I just got the email that my RS finally got scheduled to be built on 9/16.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

http://youtu.be/uZnJgJHrzQI

So made some video of the gauges while getting onto a byway, and then the highway. First clip is 1-2 and second is 3-4. You can see how much I lag in my 1-2 shift when trying to go fast :smith:

Edit: Just registered for my first autox! August 13th is going to be an interesting day.

Just concentrate on shifting cleanly. Over time, you'll get faster at it. Glad you're enjoying the car!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I taught myself to shift better by shifting with the least amount of precise effort, just using two fingers. manhandling the gearbox doesn't always mean faster shifting. If you're shifting faster than the engine's speed drop, its hard on the clutch, engine mounts, and drivetrain. Everything should be able to be done smoothly, we're far beyond fist-shiftin' a Muncie rock crusher. Some people really like heavily weighted shift knobs, which themselves smooth out input by changing the shifting momentum.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Over time youll get to know the precise point the clutch disengages and then your foot automatically goes to it everytime and then you bang through the gears and you feel like a minor deity.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah those are my feelings too DJ Commie.

In other news I tried launch control today and holy poo poo is that an amazing feature.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I taught myself to shift better by shifting with the least amount of precise effort, just using two fingers. manhandling the gearbox doesn't always mean faster shifting. If you're shifting faster than the engine's speed drop, its hard on the clutch, engine mounts, and drivetrain. Everything should be able to be done smoothly, we're far beyond fist-shiftin' a Muncie rock crusher. Some people really like heavily weighted shift knobs, which themselves smooth out input by changing the shifting momentum.

Yup, this really does make all the difference. If you have to put a ton of effort into moving the shifter, you're asking a bit much of the gearbox.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The shifting thing wasn't really in my mind until a friend who used to drag race a lot said something to me. I spoke with him more today and he told me he would just slam shifts as qucik as possible while powershifting the whole time EVERY TIME. This seems counter to what I want to do, and not conducive to a long living gearbox.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KidDynamite posted:

The shifting thing wasn't really in my mind until a friend who used to drag race a lot said something to me. I spoke with him more today and he told me he would just slam shifts as qucik as possible while powershifting the whole time EVERY TIME. This seems counter to what I want to do, and not conducive to a long living gearbox.

That basically will turn your gearbox into shards. Do NOT do this.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That basically will turn your gearbox into shards. Do NOT do this.

This.

Drag racing, sure. Because your gearbox is a wear item and every piece of a second counts.

Ask me about power shifting a fox body into third, snapping the shifter in half, and breaking bones in my hand on the radio...which also broke.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Ask me about power shifting a fox body into third, snapping the shifter in half, and breaking bones in my hand on the radio...which also broke.

Holy poo poo Hercules.

Ford quality!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Really curious about that IC blanking plate. Can you post some under hood shots near the turbo and turbo intake pipe? I wonder if they were getting lots of blowby/PCV stuck in there and the larger IC just exacerbated the problem.

Also, consider water injection for ease of not having to have your valves cleaned at <100k miles. And more power to boot. :getin:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dude I did the same thing like two weeks after picking up my car. I almost cried. Guess that is the downfall of 19" wheels.

This is my fear for when I get my Camaro 1SS 1LE next year.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Really curious about that IC blanking plate. Can you post some under hood shots near the turbo and turbo intake pipe? I wonder if they were getting lots of blowby/PCV stuck in there and the larger IC just exacerbated the problem.

Also, consider water injection for ease of not having to have your valves cleaned at <100k miles. And more power to boot. :getin:

I swear I remember reading that it was an issue like my TDI is known to have where in cold temperatures you'll get icing which can lead to a number of problems up to and including hydrolock. I might be wrong on that though.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Most the reading I have seen is when you drive in a cold climate the humidity will freeze on the TB when you stop. So when you go to start up is bad news bears. I live in a sub tropic climate so I just do TB hose bypass and not care.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, in drag racing those fractions of a second actually matter.

The RS is not targeted at drag racing.

In track racing and rally, it's almost entirely about maintaining your line, controlling weight transfer and knowing how far you can push (mostly) your brakes by accelerating until the latest possible moment before a corner. And most of all, longevity; in order to finish first, first you have to finish.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, the gt500 doesn't heat soak or anything at the track...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey, nowhere did I claim any car is perfectly tailored for full track use, I'm just talking racing styles.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

I swear I remember reading that it was an issue like my TDI is known to have where in cold temperatures you'll get icing which can lead to a number of problems up to and including hydrolock. I might be wrong on that though.

Yep, this is very much a thing. After we bought ours, I was checking the intercooler every 4 or 5 months for water.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I thought that was the GTI and not the TDI. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they had the same parts and defects in both.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Enourmo posted:

The RS is not targeted at drag racing.

Oh I know this but tell that to the folks trying to get 11 secs out of it currently.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I drove my car home from the gym with this contraption set up for the go pro. Let me know what you think as I believe this will be the set up for the autox tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzl-ENPiU4

Hope you'll give me good advice while I go hide under a blanket of anxiety and attempt sleep.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Also if any of you are going to be at metlife tomorrow please let me kmow

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Get an external mic and clip on your rear license plate.

ignore video ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6LvAgwQQk

mic on go pro 3:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N0EA3NC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hand on top of steering wheel? Disqualified! :argh:

Sounds good, though, but I think an external mic would be best.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 13, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'll have to order one of those for next time! Also I hope go pro announces a Hero 5 soon, this Hero 2 is getting long in the tooth.

KozmoNaut how else am I supposed to look cool?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you gotta drive like that, you gotta rake the seat a lot more, and sit all twisted in the seat, like a gangsta lean, yo.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Quick recap of autocross:

Autocross is loving fun. I don't think I've had that much fun behind the wheel of a car in my life. I got an instructor ride along for 5 out of 6 runs and each run I got faster and faster. The last and only solo run I did was my third fastest time probably due to not having the instructor telling me what to do. There's a lot to process and a lot to learn about getting faster. I need to move my hands less on the wheel, look further ahead, smooth out my inputs, and I'm sure much more, but hot drat I'm bit by the bug and I want to do this often. Can't wait to get it on the track.

Video will be up shortly.

• Run 1: N/A missed first element
  • Run 2: 77.019
  • Run 3: 53.6
  • Run 4: 51.5
  • Run 5: 49.8
  • Run 6: 51.9

• Instructor run: 46.3

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAC674Um_Dc

I wish the smile on my face could come across when I was driving and when the instructor drove my car and I realized how fast it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are you running with assists off? Ford's stability control (advance trac) is really good at keeping you from killing yourself but it's also fairly intrusive. I'm actually curious how the RS responds with it off if you haven't tried yet.

• Locked thread