Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

awesome-express posted:

Sauna
Mämmi
Simo Häyhä

:henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

White culture is institutions that actually work.

Have you been to Iceland recently?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I think the best way to define white culture would be contrast what values predominantly white countries have versus what values predominantly nonwhite countries have.

Hmmm, looks like white culture is democracy, civil/human rights, equality, law and order, prosperity, and not bombing your own people.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Puistokemisti posted:

Hmmm, looks like white culture is democracy, civil/human rights, equality, law and order, prosperity, and not bombing your own people.
White people in the US are about to overwhelmingly vote against most of those things.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

That really depends on what decade you're talking about.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Puistokemisti posted:

I think the best way to define white culture would be contrast what values predominantly white countries have versus what values predominantly nonwhite countries have.

So I guess you approve of bombing someone else's people then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Puistokemisti posted:

If you add (for the white and wealthy) after all of those then yes, true.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Puistokemisti posted:

- "Democracy" where you are excluded from the political process entirely, provided no accurate or impartial information on it - never mind a methodology to interpret that information - , and then every few years told to vote for someone to do your thinking for you. No, don't vote for the one you like! That would be selfish. You have to vote for the one Liberals tell you to. Otherwise the worst one will get in.

- "Civil and human rights" Where cops can murder unarmed minorities 24/7 and be rewarded with paid vacations. But it's okay because on the paperwork he filled out, he wrote he "felt threatened" and not that he felt racist, and anyway, it's not like there was any need to collect evidence at the scene.

- "equality" were there's eventually a law saying "you can't be mean to X category of person" but no de facto change in culture or society to actually make that equality real.

- "Law and order" where, if you are super rich, you can do big crimes and won't be punished for it. Go on, destroy evidence. You're a presidential candidate, it would be too awkward to punish you.

- "Prosperity", where some people prosper. Some people.

- "Not bombing it's own people", unless they are protesters. Then it's okay. And bombing people who have different citizenship is cool

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Real talk "white" is the name for the people left after you exclude anyone with any characteristics that (from your own perspective) distinguish them whatsoever, so "white culture" isn't even real. "White" doesn't even mean the same thing to different countries, which is why Slavs and european jews got hella genocided.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

HorseLord posted:

- "Democracy" where you are excluded from the political process entirely, provided no accurate or impartial information on it - never mind a methodology to interpret that information - , and then every few years told to vote for someone to do your thinking for you. No, don't vote for the one you like! That would be selfish. You have to vote for the one Liberals tell you to. Otherwise the worst one will get in.

- "Civil and human rights" Where cops can murder unarmed minorities 24/7 and be rewarded with paid vacations. But it's okay because on the paperwork he filled out, he wrote he "felt threatened" and not that he felt racist, and anyway, it's not like there was any need to collect evidence at the scene.

- "equality" were there's eventually a law saying "you can't be mean to X category of person" but no de facto change in culture or society to actually make that equality real.

- "Law and order" where, if you are super rich, you can do big crimes and won't be punished for it. Go on, destroy evidence. You're a presidential candidate, it would be too awkward to punish you.

- "Not bombing it's own people", unless they are protesters. Then it's okay. And bombing people who have different citizenship is cool

In the abstract, your freshman essay on everything wrong with white male americans is really compelling, but what are you comparing these items to? Point to me a culture, society, nation, hell even a large city, that you are using a barometer to measure "white culture" against

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gobbagool posted:

In the abstract, your freshman essay on everything wrong with white male americans is really compelling, but what are you comparing these items to? Point to me a culture, society, nation, hell even a large city, that you are using a barometer to measure "white culture" against

That a thing does not exist anywhere does not make the assertion that it does exist in one place any less incorrect.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
White culture is a prissy woman in a pantsuit telling her kids they can go out for decaf frappucinos if they finish their essays on viking lineage for AP history before dinner, and they do, and on the way to starbucks they see a black person on the sidewalk and the dad locks the car doors.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
White culture is "Journey's Greatest Hits" on eight-track.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

On November 6th do we update the thread title to What was White Culture?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

How are any of the things that you are complaining about in this post better in "non-white" countries? You totally missed that part in the post you quoted while you were delivering your sermon.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

OwlFancier posted:

That a thing does not exist anywhere does not make the assertion that it does exist in one place any less incorrect.

HorseLord's sermon totally missed the point of the post he quoted, and actually maybe strengthened it by pointing out what would be classified as trivial injustices in "non-white" countries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silence_kit posted:

HorseLord's sermon totally missed the point of the post he quoted, and actually maybe strengthened it by pointing out what would be classified as trivial injustices in "non-white" countries.

They are classified as trivial injustices in "white" countries as well, even regarded as virtues.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

silence_kit posted:

Puistokemisti: white culture owns because [list of things]

Me: those things are clearly not really there

silence_kit: you're missing the point!!!!

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
It's really easy to do big owns on "white culture" all you have to do is compare what it's proponents claim it is, with what it actually is

also it's pretty loving telling in 2016 that american and white are synonymous in this conversation, gj on your only surface level reformed white surpremacist state i guess

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

HorseLord posted:

Again, you are missing the point. The post you quoted was comparing "white" and "non-white" countries. LOL if you think that corruption in police departments is worse in Europe, America, etc. than in the rest of the world.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

HorseLord posted:

its better in the west for gays and so on, and you can vote for a guy with only a little corruption. That's cool and good.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

OwlFancier posted:

They are classified as trivial injustices in "white" countries as well, even regarded as virtues.

cops shooting black people is classified as trivial injustice? wow, so BLM isn't getting any press and there havent been any riots, clearly the reality that we both live in. Also, Horselord isn't someone you want to white knight. I'm led to believe he crammed 9 creme eggs up his bum

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
^ BLM is a black movement, that's black culture. The person i'm criticising equates law enforcement and government with white culture, which doesn't care at all, and in fact is the thing doing the shooting of the black people. i hope this explanation helps you

silence_kit posted:

Again, you are missing the point. The post you quoted was comparing "white" and "non-white" countries. LOL if you think that corruption in police departments is worse in Europe, America, etc. than in the rest of the world.

no he literally said a list of things that he thinks white culture is. i pointed out that it doesn't live up to any of it. the end

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 29, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Corruption in the justice system is not called corruption in, say, the US, it is believed to be entirely good to have 1 in every 100 people in prison, and to imprison more people than the soviet union.

gobbagool posted:

cops shooting black people is classified as trivial injustice? wow, so BLM isn't getting any press and there havent been any riots, clearly the reality that we both live in. Also, Horselord isn't someone you want to white knight. I'm led to believe he crammed 9 creme eggs up his bum

I'm sure the black people who are inciting those riots and protests would be very happy to know that they're actually white and it was white people who decided it was a good idea for police to not shoot black people all along.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

HorseLord posted:

^ BLM is a black movement, that's black culture. The person i'm criticising equates law enforcement and government with white culture, which doesn't care at all, and in fact is the thing doing the shooting of the black people. i hope this explanation helps you

no he literally said a list of things that he thinks white culture is. i pointed out that it doesn't live up to any of it. the end

Oh, so you're an absolutist idiot. Kind of like a less refined effectronica. Not strange then that you're reading from the same sheet of music. This, by the way, is the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

gobbagool posted:

Oh, so you're an absolutist idiot. Kind of like a less refined effectronica. Not strange then that you're reading from the same sheet of music. This, by the way, is the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

So you don't actually have an argument, either because you're too weak to construct one, or I'm correct. Both?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

HorseLord posted:

So you don't actually have an argument, either because you're too weak to construct one, or I'm correct. Both?

Whatever it is, balance of probability suggests that it's not that you're correct

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
itt goons argue about hipsters for seven+ pages

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

gobbagool posted:

Whatever it is, balance of probability suggests that it's not that you're correct

Well, since you've neither the ability or inclination to argue against it, I guess it's a mystery you'll take to your grave.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

HorseLord posted:

Hm, maybe you are right and democracy doesn't work.

HorseLord posted:

Sounds like american problems. Nation full of nonwhite people and where white people claim to be "1/64 indian" and other silly things. IMHO, Americans are more whitish than actually white culture. Maybe you should consider living in better country. Nordic countries have none of those problems.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
no thanks nordic food is hot dog poo poo

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Now white supremacy has wrapped around to American whites being racially impure and therefore degenerate. Lovely.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

no thanks nordic food is hot dog poo poo

You're talking out you're rear end

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Wild Horses posted:

You're talking out you're rear end

Indeed, that's 100% of his shtick

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gobbagool posted:

Indeed, that's 100% of his shtick

Nordic food are really bad though. Google lutefisk.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Nordic food are really bad though. Google lutefisk.

where I'm from we usually don't eat it soooo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3194h-akJX0

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

thats basically like the tribesmen from some jungle do when dumb gently caress backpackers come rolling: feed them some tapir balls raw like its a delicacy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wild Horses posted:

thats basically like the tribesmen from some jungle do when dumb gently caress backpackers come rolling: feed them some tapir balls raw like its a delicacy

yeah i'm sure sweden just cans novelty horrible food as a big practical joke on the rest of the world uh huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
White culture isn't any more of a thing than black culture. Not all Afro-japanese, Afro-Russians, and Afro-Americans tune into BET with a platter of fried foods. Culture follows a concentric pattern - one which is very meaning- and shapeless at the outer rings, but actually gains significance and definition as it descends into itself until it reaches the core target of its design, the individual.

"X" culture is just a vacant term until filled with one's own assumptions and projections.

retard posted:

No, I'm angry about white people deciding to call the brown people they genocided "Americans", as most of them want no association with the A-word. Thanks for playing, though!
Politicizing race does nothing besides conflate metaphysical boundaries with the tangible ones. Your attempts to speak for and dignify a group of people's suffering doesn't really accomplish anything but provide a dimension of identity which really only exists to be inevitably violated.

HorseLord posted:

Now white supremacy has wrapped around to American whites being racially impure and therefore degenerate. Lovely.
The natural conclusion of any race discussion. This is where the terrorists win!

• Locked thread