Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Lohaine, the Burning Desert. The holiest place in the world, and the deadliest. The last part “conquered” by the Lemrian Empire. And why was that?

Was it because of reverence? The desert was the place dearest to the sun and as such was a site of pilgrimage for those who followed the Way of Light, thus by leaving it to last they avoided interfering with pilgrims. Was it because of strategy? In its position at the southernmost part of the world the desert served no strategic purpose. Was it because of greed? In the desert natural resources were scarce and so it was a poor prize for any empire.

Whatever their reasons for occupying it last, when the empire turned upon itself and everyone started fighting for survival Lohaine was the first to descend into chaos. Bandits and slavers preyed on the weak. Those in power levied massive taxes for the right to access their oases. The Holy city of Maruna at the center of the desert was said to have burnt itself to the ground in a frenzy of looting and pillaging.

But what actually happened to the Empire itself is a mystery to you. Even Maruna which is only a weeks’ ride by camel is the subject of wild rumors and speculation. You have managed to find yourself in the stronghold of the Burning Oasis. A town that has stood for generations in the line of Verief the patient. Some say that it may even predate the empire’s occupation. Its namesake well is famous for its water which has a strange flavor akin to hot spice. Regardless of the taste, water is water, and when boiled it refreshes the thirst as good as the rain does (when the rain falls once a year).

Recently more and more refugees from the holy city have come and set up shop in the area. Word gets around and while in the past only thirsty travelers had visited now caravans have also begun making the Burning Oasis a regular stop. While this has boosted the economy it has also meant that Verief has needed to expand her warband to ensure peace amongst all these strangers who are rubbing shoulders.

You have recently come to the Burning Oasis seeking fortune or escaping your fate. Whether you can manage either is up to you.

It is now morning.

Welcome to the thread. Please post your sheets with your marked stats in bold. I have one beside your name and you should get the other from your highest history in the recruitment thread or the discord.

Recruitment Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783072

Verief- Mark Cool

You sit alone in the audience room. Or to be more accurate you sit while everyone else stands. At your side Grig and Favel shift uncomfortably. While others in the room waiting to speak to you are allowed to mill around and make quiet conversation, your bodyguards have to maintain their attention on each and every person who came to bother you with some petition. And unlike you they couldn’t rest their chin on their elbow and yawn.

Although it is still morning you have been sitting for hours and even now you feel your eyes droop a little while the Priest of the Light continues his tirade about the apostate outside the walls. He accuses the heathen of leading the good people under your care to leave behind their proper devotions to the Light to plot sedition.

“… I’m telling you Mi’ Lady. That stone worshipping heathen will bring about the wrath of the sun. How can it tolerate someone in its holiest lands turning people’s eyes away from the sky to the earth? I wager that soon enough the good people of the town will take up arms to cast down his little circle and…”

Favel strikes the butt of his spear against the floor jutting you out of your reverie.

“Brother Blessed Be The Holy Light. Your time has past. You may visit the lady again on the ‘morrow.”

“Well I…”

“NEXT!”

Brother Blessed seems a bit flustered at being rushed.

Will you give him more time or will you wave him on so the next petitioner can approach you?

Urxar - Mark Sharp

It was strange how the water burned your mouth. You have traveled all over this desert, tasted bitter, sweet, sour and salty water. But this was the first time water from a pitcher had burned your mouth. Around the tavern your brothers all gag or joke at the water that the tavern keeper, Balia, pours into their cups.

Unfortunately since the last lead you had come up with nothing your budget had been slightly off so you hadn’t wished to pay for the purified water and had settled for the spring water.

The tavern is still quite empty, most of the townspeople are pursuing their daily business and won’t come in to relax until the evening. However it seems that there are a few other strangers who are passing time at the other end of the tavern. They are dressed in white robes that make it hard to judge exactly what their profession is but they don’t banter like locals would. The red headed girl Balia tends to their needs but they barely pay any attention to her despite her striking beauty. They just gently sip at the shisha pipe at their feet and stare at you and your group. It strikes you as… odd.

While your men squabble and joke among themselves the only one to sit with you is Rolan. He’s something like your second in command. Probably ten years your senior but his time in the mines took a great toll on his body. But even though he isn’t quick like the younger brothers he has a sharp mind and while the men are distracted he leans over to you.

“Urxar, you know I believe in the cause. The number of people we have saved is surely the sign of whatever god spoke to the mine and set us free. But… when the men don’t think you’re listening I hear them whisper. That although the work is good, it can’t continue forever. They don’t want to just spend their freedom helping others. They want stability, women, wealth. They’re just men Urxar and they’d throw themselves in front of a blade for you. But we can’t live like this forever can we?

Tal - Mark Weird

The first rituals of the day are performed. Those who come earliest in the morning file away from your gathering. These were the people most dedicated to the worship of the chained gods. Every day the first thing they did wasn’t to prepare themselves to work. It was to make the short trip outside the stronghold to the standing stones you tended. To listen carefully to your chants and listen to whatever wisdom you had to share.

What ritual and message do you share with those who have left the worship of the Light to join your unique little cult?

One of the first to come to your group was the one-eyed man Gav. He had entered your camp burning with rage and a hunger for vengeance, an outcast from the village. He had rebelled against the status quo, Verief’s family. “What right do they have to rule based only on blood?” He asked you. When he had tried to argue for his own qualifications and raise a popular movement she had beaten his gang down with her enforcers and taken his eye out.

Not only was he the first to begin making regular trips to you he was also the first to bring others. Whether it was the people he chose to bring, or just the fact that your monument drew them, the regulars at your gatherings tend to be discontent with Verief’s rule. They grumble about how her burden’s aren’t fair and how the others in the village judge them for not worshipping the light.

Today Gav hangs back to speak to you.

“Wise one. I… I just wanted to thank you for guiding me these past months. When I was punished by that b… woman. When she took my eye. I was so shamed. So angry. I thought I was as good as dead. People spat on my face in the street. But coming here has brought me strength. Strength to stand people’s hate.”

He pauses, his face seems a picture of shame and guilt mixed with boyish enthusiasm.

“Actually, I didn’t just want to thank you. The truth is… I think I heard the chained gods speaking to me. I felt like they showed me that just as I am missing an eye. The mask is also missing its eyes. That’s why I brought this.”

From a pouch he produces an onyx stone. Beautifully cut. You’re no expert but it must be worth months of savings.

“They told me they needed an eye to see those of us who gather to call them and I remembered that Verief’s family had a jewel. Her father treasured it but I noticed I hadn’t seen her wearing it once. Don’t ask me how but I managed to look and in her stores it was just sitting there. Please take it and use it for the chained god’s glory!”

Emlyn - Mark Hard

You stand and sweat under the morning sun in the square outside the barracks. The guards have formed a circle around you, an impromptu ring. You’ve been drilling them for weeks now and they’ve slowly improved, looking less and less like a local militia and more like an imperial unit of infantry every day. But today you’ve decided to do something a little special.

At your feet lies Fat Bob. He had been the first to take you up on your offer to duel anyone in the regiment one on one. He had taken it as half joke, half a chance to impress you. You had quickly demonstrated that the stiff practiced movements of fighting as a unit were of little help against a swordsmaster such as yourself.

Now the rest mill uncomfortably. It was clear that you weren’t going to go easy on them but none of them also wished to be seen as a coward.

Tell me about the three other recruits who take up the challenge. One who lacks skill, but has plenty of spirit. One who understands the mechanics of fighting but doesn’t really understand the reality of combat. And one who actually could pose a threat but due to that confidence has the presumption to think himself a rival of yours.

You can narrate how you fight the other two as you wish. If you want to fight the third you’re going to have to roll either to try and change his mind through talking or through beating him down.

Aine - Mark Hot

Wow! That is one hell of a headache. You open your eyes and immediately shade them with your hand. Is it morning? What happened last night? Wait there’s someone in here! This is your room right? Did you sleep with someone? Are you being robbed? drat you can’t see if they’re slipping out to avoid embarrassment or slipping out with your saddlebags under their arm. Ughhhhhhhh. Can you even stand up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Tal

"And as we go on our daily tasks, remember: Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. While those who follow the light might see us as the enemy, we should not then look upon them as our enemy. They are our friends, neighbors and even our family. " Tal then performed a ritual to help soothe the fears and worries of those who were assembled. While they referred to themselves as a congregation, he didn't like to think of them like that. The idea that he was some kind of a leader felt wrong to him. They thought of themselves as sheep and he the shepherd. And the people were probably right, even if he didn't like the position they gave him. At first he tried to discourage the idea, but they held to the idea and he reluctantly accepted the role.

Tal saw them off and noticed that Gav lingered while the others left. After seeing the congregation off, he motioned towards Gav to follow him. He walked to his cooking fire and sat down on the rough chair he had cobbled together.

"Take a seat and talk to me." Gav was the first to come and he had been the strongest voice in regards to positioning Tal as a religious leader. That was Gav's way. He had strong views about how things should be. While Gav was a good man, he had little patience. Instead of being patient and waiting for changes to happen, Gav wanted to force the changes to occur. He lost an eye because of his impetuousness, and yet he had not learned to be patient. Tal worried about the man and what he might do.

Tal took the stone and studied it. He then looked at Gav.

"So you think you heard them, did you? They told you what you wanted to hear, perhaps? I wonder. It seems odd that the chained ones would happen to need a stone that belonged to the same woman that wounded you. Do you think the chained ones feel the need to punish Verief by the removal of her possessions? But no, they wanted an eye to see. An eye that happens to be a jewel of some worth. Hmm, I find this odd. You know the stones and the altar at the center. Would you say they have worth? Not spiritual worth, but monetary worth? Why would the chained ones ask me to find a circle of stones which have little value and an altar that is made of common stone, but then ask you to bring an expensive stone to me? What do you think?"

Tal - Mystic

Look: Concealed, light skin, practical clothing, plain face, appraising eyes, strange body

Stats
Cool: +0
Hard: -1
Hot: -1
Sharp: +2
Weird: +3

Moves

Unsettling Insights: You get +1 Weird (to Weird +3)

The World's fraying edge: Some component of your ceremonial space, or some arrangement of its components, is uniquely receptive to the world's psychic maelstrom (add augury). Choose and name it.

Equipment

* Clothes suitable to his look (layers of ragged, old clothing that cover most of his body except for his eyes)
* Staff (+1 to roll)

Ceremonial Space (choose 4)

* Standing Stones
* A labyrinth
* A bloody altar, abnegated by sigils
* A shrine to one of the chained gods

History

Emlyn: -1

Aine: +2

Urxar: -1

Verief+1

Goals

He has seen visions of death and destruction. Just as the golden age died, so too will this age. There is only the question of when it will happen. Ages come and ages go. It's a wheel that never stops moving. Everything that has happened will happen again. At least that's the conventional wisdom. While most of Tal's visions consist of destruction, he had one vision that showed him a different outcome. He saw a world that can break the wheel and not be chained to its history. A new order could come about. And he could be the instrument that causes this change to happen. However, there are forces opposed to this. The forces are alert to anyone trying to change the natural pattern of the world. They go after anyone who makes it their goal to break the cycle. If Tal wants to bring his vision to fruition, then he shall have to proceed carefully. He needs to avoid any action that would is directly tied to breaking the cycle. Instead he needs to cloak his actions with mystery and avoid acting openly.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 31, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal and Gav

Your skepticism cuts at Gav. While at first he had seemed boyish and eager, by the end of your questioning he looks like he is burdened with guilt and shame. He crosses his arms and his right hand scratches his left elbow uncomfortably, he's barely able to make eye contact with you.

"But, Wise one... I thought... you... I... I... I'm telling you I heard them. I definitely heard something. I know I'm an angry man. You've helped me so much to control that but I knows when I'm angry. I didn't feel angry at her when I did this. Well, I always feel angry at her but I mean I didn't do this because I was angry at her. You know? Didn't you tell us the story about how you had the vision and the mask was shown to you. I mean the rest of the stones may look worthless as any other, but that mask. I bet it could sell... not that i would think of selling it. I'm just saying that there must be some items around these parts. Like the stone that looks like a face, like this gem that looks like an eye."

Finally he deflates and sighs, looking up to you with broken eyes.

"But if you say it was just me grudges I believe you. I just know I heard it. I heard something."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Verief The Patient
The Strongholder

I smile, as politely as I can, at the holy brother. "You will excuse my assistant borther, but he does have a point, we all need to deal with amtters of state and whilst I understand what you are talking off I cannot simply order my men to ride out and slay the poor, unfortunate stone worshippers outside of our hall. To do so would not be just" The smile is false, but the words are real enough I do not want to waste time on dealing with people outside of the stronghold if they are not actively setting fires or trying to kill my men.

"I am sure you understand brother that other items of state need looking at? If not then we can always hear from you as we have over the past few days."

pre:
Look
Woman, dark skin, practical clothing, stern face, generous eyes and soft body.

Stats
Cool+2- 
Hard+2
Hot=0 
Sharp+2
Weird=0

Gear
Dagger (deadly: infighting)
Sword (deadly: on the field, hand-to-hand).
Mail coat, helmet, boots (2 armor).

Moves
Leadership
When your war-band does battle for you, spend 1 more than your roll would give you.
Wealth
When your stronghold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have plenty at hand and available for the needs of the session.
On a 7-9, you have plenty, but choose 1 want. On a miss, or if your stronghold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want.
The precise values of your plenty and want depend upon the details of your stronghold

Stronghold
Your stronghold is home to 75-150 souls, who survive by hunting, simple farming, and scavenging (plenty: 1 keep, want: hunger).
It’s protected by simple ditches and fences (+1 armor to defenders).
You command a warband of about 40 violent people, with an armory of scavenged and makeshift weapons and simple armor (medium war-band, 3 harm, 1 armor).

Your warband is large, 60 violent people or so (large war-band instead of medium).
Your subjects include skilled tradespeople (plenty: +1 keep, want: idleness)
Your warband’s armory is well-stocked and maintained (+1 harm, +1 armor).
Your stronghold includes a bustling market commons (surplus: +1 keep, want: strangers)

You owe protection tribute to an NPC more powerful than you (plenty: -1 keep, want: reprisals).
Your stables keep no mounts for warriors, only pack animals.

History
History Lists
Emlyn +2
Tal= +1
Aine= +1
Urxar= +1

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Emlyn

Emlyn lent the fat man an arm and pulled him to his feet. "Well fought, Fat Bob. Watch my legs, though, not my arms. The arms will lie. The legs will not," he growled, "Now who is next?" An eager lad strode forward, holding a practice blade at the ready. Emlyn looked at him, his expression hidden behind the mask. "Tarn. Fight well." The boy nodded, then charged forward with his blade raised over his head. Emlyn slid to the side, his practice blade slamming into the youth's gut. Tarn fell to the ground like a puppet with it's strings cut. The boy had spirit, though, and he soon struggled to his feet. His second charge was less steady and led to another collapse. By the third, the recruits in the circle were murmuring appreciation of his spirit. Tarn tried to struggle to his feet, but Emlyn poked at his throat with the blade. "You have spirit, Tarn. None will challenge that. Keep working at your fundamentals." Shame-faced, Tarn backed out of the circle. He was well-liked among the recruits. He wasn't strong, he had poor instincts for fighting, and he had no talent for gambling. He was the first to volunteer and the last to complain. Once an urchin from the markets, now trying to make an honest living in the guard.

Emlyn waved the next man in. Kase. His armor was polished to a dull sheen, not a speck of dust to be seen. It was truly impressive in the midst of the desert. Emlyn had heard he was a low-born noble before the fall. A third or fourth son, something to that effect. His training wasn't in a school of combat that Emlyn was familiar with. It was ritualized. Formalized, even. A relic of a bygone time. Emlyn knelt down, then threw a handful of sand in Kase's face. It was a simple matter to take him down after. Emlyn shook his head, then motioned one of the other recruits to drag him from the circle. "Remember, Kase, we are not fighting for honor. We are fighting for our lives and our home."

There was a lull, then, before the final challenger stepped forward. Ava. She was the leader of the guard before Emlyn had taken over. Her fighting skills were excellent, but her leadership skills were lacking. There were no complaints when she had been replaced. Emlyn's masked gaze settled on her, "Ava. I trust you will hold nothing back? I will not." Before she could respond, Emlyn's blade rested at her throat. "Your move, Ava. I have beaten you before in this circle, would you make it a second time?"

quote:

Fly At Ava (to submit to Emlyn's leadership): 2d6+2 8

Marking XP for rolling a tagged stat.

Sword Master posted:

Name: Emlyn, Sole Survivor of the 5th Imperial Legion
Look: Concealed, light skin, well-kept armor, bony face, raging eyes, stringy body

Stats
Cool +1
Hard +2
Hot -2
Sharp +2
Weird -1
(Verief chooses the second tag)

XP: 1/5

Moves
Battle-hardened
When you go into danger, roll+hard instead of roll+cool. When you make a battle move that calls for you to roll+cool, you can roll+hard instead.

Knight-killer
In battle, you count as a mounted warrior even on foot (+1 harm, +1 armor against non-mounted enemies; mounted enemies get no advantage against you).

Equipment

A Blood-stained Partisan (deadly: on the field & vs mounted)
A Jagged Katzbalger (deadly: hand-to-hand & infighting)
Shortbow & Arrows (at range, deadly: aimed)
Sharpened Knuckles (deadly: brawling)
Breastplate, helmet, boots (2 armor)
Coin or goods worth 2 keep
Traveler's cloak

Goals

Avenge the 5th Legion.

History
  • Which one of you once left me bleeding, and did nothing for me? Urxar: -2 Hx
  • Which one of you has fought shoulder to shoulder with me? Aine: +2 Hx
  • Which one of you is the prettiest and/or the smartest? Verief: +3 Hx
  • Everyone else? Tal: -1 Hx

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 28, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 1 keep | XP ○○○○○»

I sip from my glass the strange water, allowing it to burn on my tongue before replying to Rolan.

"Our brothers are free to leave whenever they desire, whether it be for family or fortune - hell, Matilk is a sand-licking chieftain now. That's a different sort of chain, I suppose... but a brother is free to make his own life. Those that stay and those that join us, perhaps they haven't found such a path yet, but they've recognized their purpose here until then: Our unfreed brothers and sisters wait for us still. As long as the markets of Raanfet still peddle their bound wares, all men may find a purpose with us.

"But I'm not a priest, Rolan." I place my hand on his shoulder, "You know this. I won't present my path as the path, and as long as our brothers don't fall to the greed that turned Zaymr (that dung) against the brotherhood and our cause, I won't fault them their choices."

I take another sip and settle back, returning my attention to the figures robed in white at the far end of the room. The way they keep looking our way... do I know these strangers?

What is your intent? I wonder.

quote:

Read a Person: @Urxar, The Wolfshead you rolled 5, 2 for a total of 7.
"What does your character intend to do?"
XP+1 (highlighted stat: Sharp)

The Wolfshead posted:

Name:
Urxar, leader of the Chained Brothers

Look:
A light-skinned man of middle age, he watches the world through weary eyes set in a weathered face. He eschews the gaudy fashion of pomp and chivalry and instead fits his sturdy body with functional clothing intended for light travel and effective combat.

Stats:
Cool +2
Hard +2
Hot -1
Sharp =0
Weird -1

Moves:
Bloody-crowned
When you try to impose your will upon your war-band, roll+hard. On a 10+, all 3. On a 7–9, choose 1:
  • They do what you order (otherwise, they refuse).
  • They don’t fight back over it (otherwise, they do fight back).
  • You don’t have to make an example of one of them (otherwise, you must).

Foragers and thieves
when you have your war-band search their pockets and saddlebags for something, roll+hard. It has to be something small enough to be carried. On a 10+, one of you has just the thing. On a 7–9, one of you happens to have something similar, that will perhaps serve. On a miss, one of you used to have just the thing, but come to discover that now it’s missing, likely stolen in turn.

All Basic

All Battle

Goals:
Freedom beneath the sun for myself and my brothers, including those I've not yet met.

Mount: Sunstrider
A powerful and well-groomed camel (fast=0, strong+2, hungry=0, stubborn)

War-Band: "The Chained Brothers"
Small gang of about 15 savage well-disciplined men, mobile, 2 harm, 1 armor
Has powerful enemies (vulnerable: reprisals)
Current Members:
  • Rolan: My second-in-command of sorts. A tribal envoy before being enslaved in the mines beside me, he has a keen mind for social situations and negotiations. I confide in this brother when I need guidance, and his friendship is priceless to me.
  • Elond: One of the newer brothers. Youthful and rambunctious, he is always quick with a laugh (whether at his expense, or someone else's), and his company has brought some renewed cheer to our brotherhood as of late.
Past Members:
  • Zaymr: This fool sought riches over the freedom of his people and betrayed us. His scheme failed when we defeated the slaver ambush he lead us into, and he was fed to the mountains by the brotherhood.

Equipment:
Leather coat, helmet, boots (2 armor)
Lance (deadly: mounted)
Sword (deadly: hand-to-hand & on the field)
Fighting knife (deadly: brawling)
Coin or goods worth 2 keep
Loose cotton robe
Light head scarf
Pocketed leather harness
Iron shackle [right ankle]

History:
  • Which one of you believes that you could outfight me, if it came to it? Emlyn (Hx+2)
  • Which one of you once stood up to me, war-band and all? Verief (Hx+3)
  • All others (Hx-1)

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 8, 2016

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aine
0 Harm | 1-armor | 3-keep | XP ○○○○○»

Instinct. Survival. The pain of the hangover doesn't leave so much as it becomes unimportant as my mind clears instantly. Adrenaline rushes my blood. My Great Blade and Short sword are leaning next to the door. Careless stupid girl. I reach into a hidden pocket of my pants, laying carelessly next to the bed, and rush the shadowy figure wearing nothing but a look of deadly fury and brandishing two small throwing knives.

"Wait! no-" I hear Durga cry just as I would have gutted the foolish man. As it is I pull back the knives at the last instant and collide with him, tumbling into the wall with a loud thud.

He held nothing but his own wadded up clothes, and I realize we're only a few feet from the chamberpot. Oops. My headache and hangover return with a vengeance.

"Sorry about that." I mumble as I roll off of him and onto the cool floor. What Durga lacked in stealth and brains, he made up for in beauty. I've been inviting him to my bed for a short time now. This is the third time I've accidentally tried to kill him for waking me up.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 28, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Just a quick reminder to check into discord occasionally so we can communicate as necessary and all rolls should be done using the chatbot by typing !roll 2d6+STAT

Verief the Patient in her Audience Room

Brother Blessed eyes widen and he begins rushing his words.

"Mi' lady. I wasn't advocating their death! Only the sun's wrath..."

Favel takes a step forward and Brother Blessed halts his speech. He holds his hands up and backs away reverently. He had been the faith leader in the village since your father's time or perhaps even further back. You didn't know him to be vindictive but then this was the first time any other kind of religious group had ever gained a foothold in the stronghold. You wondered if it was because the transition to your rule had been a little messy. Still you weren't using that as an excuse to clamp down on dissidents and some respected you for it. Others mistook your gracefulness for weakness and whispered in their cups all the more because of this newly discovered freedom.

Favel and Grig tense. From the crowd emerges a man in black robes who strides forward confidently, perhaps even what might be considered disrespectfully. They tighten their grips on their spears but he halts at the customary spot designated for petitioners. Under his arm is a book which he removes and raises into the air with both hands.

"Verief of the Burning Oasis. I, the Milomar, come in the name of the Satrap. In my two hands is the book of his law."

At the invoking of the Satrap's name and the raising of the book many in the audience immediately drop to one knee. Others look around a little confused, unfamiliar with the custom, they glance around them before settling on looking to you for the lead.

You know the Milomars are the chief emissaries of the Satrap. Leading armies, handling neotiations, dispensing justice according to his book of law. All who accept the Satrap's rule show deference to them, particularly when they hold the book aloft. A symbol of the Satrap's actual presence.

Emlyn

Eva grins ferally and leans into the blade. It begins to cut into her neck drawing blood and only your trained reflexes allow you to pull the blade back in time not to slice her throat. But as you allow the blade to give she swipes at you. You easily dance out of the way and stand ready for her to advance. Ava however stands in place, blood dribbling from her neck and staining the front of her tunic.

"Looks like you're the one who needs to worry about holding back not me."

However despite the challenge in her voice she drops her blade and holds up her hands so the palms face you.

"But I admit you are finer with a sword than I am."

The people making up the ring seem shocked by this admission of authority. Fat Bob quickly shouts.

"No Ava you can do it! You're so beautiful and badass!"

Tarn laughs at this and slaps him on the shoulder.

"Nice going chubs! I'm sure she'll bed you now."

Fat Bob turns angrily to him and bounces him off Kase. But he ignores their bantering and instead is looking directly at you with piercing eyes, gauging how you'll react. The crowd is confused now. Some shout at Ava to keep fighting. Others shout that you have bested her and they should leave it be. Ava holds her hands up and they all cease their bickering.

"Master Emlyn. It's one thing drilling, it's another fighting one on one. But where I fights best is in a brawl. I say we all drop our swords so no one gets too busted up and let's see who comes out on top when chaos reigns. What do you say? Maaaaaaaaster."

She finishes the sentence drawling, her eyes smoking hot.

You can either try to control the crowd somehow or you can let it happen and roll "a chaotic free-for-all." Either way if you roll please do it in discord by typing !roll 2d6+STAT

Urxar

You don't return the two men's stare but you consider what they could be doing here. You remember that they had been here in the tavern before you arrived and since you yourself didn't exactly expect to be back at the Burning Oasis so soon its unlikely that it's some kind of trap. But the way they look at you it's clear that they must recognize you. Either way it would be madness to fight you here in a tavern whose only patrons were your men.

Perhaps they notice you judging them, or perhaps their shisha runs out but they get up and make their way to Balia to pay. Seems like they're going to leave. Your attention is once more drawn from them to Rolan.

"I respect the open door policy Urxar and I'm not going anywhere but I don't know if we can continue forever counting on fate to replenish our numbers when people leave. Up until now men have left in ones and twos and joined the same way, but I'm telling you that if we don't provide a little bit more stability for the men that one of these days we're going to lose ten or twenty all at once. Then we won't be breaking slavers caravans so much as being a pesky mosquito buzzing around them. Maybe we set up a base or marry some of the men off and bring their wives along so people don't feel like they're giving up the finer things in life."

Aine

Durga flashes those pearly whites.

"Oh! You sure are feisty this morning!"

He pounces on top of you and grabbing your wrist pins you. The air is electric for a second but then he let's go and the charge fades. He gets off you before and sits on his haunches.

"Haha, I wish I could actually pull that off my Nordian beauty, but it kind of kills the illusion for me when I've seen you snap men twice my size in half!"

He begins slipping his clothing on lazily and talks with an absent minded kind of voice with a tunic over his head.

"Sorry for waking you. I thought I almost made it out today. In fact, even if I wanted to stay I can't. There's going to be a special auction this afternoon and I have to get to the market to prep. All sorts of visitors coming to see what's going to be available. Maybe even we'll get another Nordian visitor! If you want you can tag along, we can brunch at one of the stalls!"

Or you can do anything else you want.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
E: oops

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 28, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal

"I do believe you heard something." Tal doesn't try to make eye contact with the man, but neither does he offer any consolation. "I also believe that you have no intention of selling it. You did what you felt was right without any malice. If you brought me a stone that you had found on the ground, then I would think it was strong indication that it was the intention of the chained ones speaking to you. But to take something valuable from an enemy? This makes the matter murky, like a disturbed puddle of water. Hmm, I can not discern if your actions are pure or if they were influenced by some hidden impulse that came out when you heard the voices. Very difficult. I may need to meditate on this myself." Tal looked at the stone again. It was possible that what Gav said was true and the coincidence of stealing from an enemy was just that, but Tal couldn't feel confident about that just yet.

"For now I shall keep the stone. I shall see what the spirits have to say to me. As for you, I want you to keep listening to the voices your hear. And tell me what they tell you to do. There is the dread chance that something unwholesome is masquerading as the voice of one of the chained ones. And if it is, then it might seek to bring you misery. So next time, if you hear voices tell you to do something, consult with me first."

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 28, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 1-keep | XP XX○○○»

Just realized I edited this post instead of adding a reply. :v:

Summary of lost post posted:

Emlyn fights the mob, wins, is awesome.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 1 keep | XP ●○○○○»

I look down into my cup and see that there is no more water to sip, and the tavern keeper is currently being talked up by some of the younger brothers across the room. I guess there's no more delaying this.

"Truth be told, brother, I've been thinking about this for a while," I sigh as I look up at Rolan. "There's not too many of our original brothers with us anymore. And it's not that the newer brothers don't believe in the chainbreakings, but you are right; they do have other interests in their life." I nod my head over to the boys chatting on the far side of the tavern. "I'll admit, the thought of Raanfet, with caravans of slaves swarming in and out like some great carrion full of ants... perhaps I've refused my own desires out of guilt. How can I simply settle down and have a family when some of my own chained kin are still dragged across the sands?

"Perhaps it doesn't need to be one or the other though. As you said, perhaps a base. Stability. A blown seed lays no roots, a planted seed bears fruit," I spread my fingers into the air. "If it is the wandering that wears on our efforts, maybe we can find a place of our own - stop wandering from settlement to settlement looking for meager supplies and hospitality, and have a place to go home to. And a place to grow from."

I look once more at the younger brothers as the tavern keeper lets out a laugh and walks away, shaking her head. The boys all let out howls of amusement.

"I'll keep this talk in mind, Rolan," I say, meeting his eyes. "Your insight and guidance are always appreciated, and in this matter it is no different."

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 29, 2016

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic
0 Harm | 0 armor | 1 keep | XP *

After they were done talking, Tal walked Gav to the edge of his area. When Tal first arrived, he spent time removing old tree limbs and rocks to the edge of his area. As he continued pile up rocks and tree limbs, it formed a small wall around where Tal's home, garden, and the standing stones. The barrier only stood about two feet tall, but it was enough to show where Tal's homestead stood. Tal saw Gav off. He then turned and walked to the circle of stones.

The standing stones were larger than a man and twice as wide. It seemed that some unknown force gathered and placed the stones into a circle. He walked to the edge of the stone circle, just inside of two standing stones was the entrance to the labyrinth carved into the ground. The path which comprised the labyrinth went in a circle pattern. And every time the path would cross itself, it bent inwards and continued to go in a circle. It continued this pattern and the path created smaller circles as it curved in on itself. And when the path came to the center of the circle, it opened up to the area containing the altar.

Tal began to walk the circle. He moved slowly watching his steps and making sure he kept on the path. Although leaving the path would cause him no harm, it would ruin his concentration, which would mean he'd have to start over. Following the maze was an easy task as long as no one interrupted him. He walked the path and found himself slowly sinking into a meditative state. At the end of the maze, he walked up to the altar and knelt down before it. At that point, he closed his eyes and listened.

Going for Augury to figure out if the stone is what Gav says it is or if there is something else going on with it. Augury roll: 10

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aine

I wave Durga away, the thought of spending my day sitting in a market stall like a spicemonger's wife does not appeal at all. Instead I lock my door and proceed through the twisting spaces between rows of shacks that could only charitably be called streets. My destination is the audience room of Verief, where I plan to see if she has anything for me to do today.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Apocron posted:

You know the Milomars are the chief emissaries of the Satrap. Leading armies, handling neotiations, dispensing justice according to his book of law. All who accept the Satrap's rule show deference to them, particularly when they hold the book aloft. A symbol of the Satrap's actual presence.

Verief The Patient
The Strongholder

pre:
Stats
Cool+2- 
Hard+2
Hot=0 
Sharp+2
Weird=0

History
History Lists
Emlyn +2
Tal= +1
Aine= +1
Urxar= +1
The satraps dogs. Hear in the court, where I am supposed to hold sway, where I am supposed to be allowed my ancestors rites of invitation. Instead they come and mock me here of all places. I raise slightly from the throne, casting my eyes to the floor and making the sign that he always requires. I speak with my head aimed at the floor so that I hope he cannot see my face "Welcome to the Burning Oasis Milomar". I wait the ritually required 10 seconds before raising my head and body, my face a perfect mask once again "We are glad to see that you are bearing his laws to our small part of the empire. Please, tell us what you have brought"

Whilst the Milomar gathers himself to speak on whatever he wishes to order of me, I spend a few seconds checking my surroundings. I need to know who in here is so new that they do not know what they are doing, who among the waverers has caught wind of this break in ritual, and so on.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Verief

The Milomar lowers the book and from his helm resonates a voice rich in smug satisfaction.

“My lady, I come with good tidings of great joy. The ever gracious Satrap has deigned to honor you with the glory of his presence. Within a month the royal court will come from the Holy City to see the Burning Oasis.”

Your mind races. A blessing and a curse for sure. Whatever riots had happened in Maruna had obviously upset the balance of power greatly. Was it possible he was coming here to regroup? Or perhaps he had quelled the dissent and he was pursuing those that had fled to set up residence in your marketplace. Either way if you accepted his “invitation” to host him you would be bound by the laws of hospitality to see him received appropriately and protected. A very costly endeavor. But it would also lend you a legitimacy and political clout within the whole desert that no other strongholder could match.

“It has reached the Satrap’s ears that an auction is held here every month. I have come to observe the proceedings today and he will come in time for the next auction. His radiance has something of great value to sell and it is sure to bring even more merchants to your noble enclave.’

How do you react to the Satrap’s announcement? Will you accept the Satrap’s entourage visiting, refuse, or try to convince them now is not the right time?

Aine

You arrive in the reception hall in time to see everyone bowing before a man in black robes holding aloft a book. Some people seem hesitant as to whether they should bow but when they see Verief showing proper respect they also kowtow appropriately.

Do you remain standing erect? Unfamiliar with the land and it’s culture.
Bow your head in the same manner as Verief? Showing a modicum of respect but perhaps making you stand out as someone of similar influence.
Properly prostrate yourself like the others in the room and attract no attention?

Urxar

Rolan dips his head in respect and holds his hands out palms up to show his indebtedness to you.

“Brother, if I can be of any assistance it is my greatest pleasure. The work you have done throughout the desert has changed more lives than any ruler I have ever known. Wherever you lead I will follow.”

You’re aware that as Rolan makes his speech the men in white robes settle their tab with Talia and exit.

Elond, One of your more rambunctious newer members comes across from one of the tables and slaps you on the back heartily.

“Brothers! Your talk seems altogether too somber when you are only in the shallows of your cups. It may only be water but they have kick! I say we finish our jars and go ride out and look for signs of bandits, or maybe we can all explore the town a little more. Maybe let each man see if they can find a bunk for the night!”

What do you and your men do?

Emlyn

Despite a grueling morning of training the men and women break with enthusiasm. Those who are not rostered for duty make their way to the tavern while others go and see about their chores. There are no hard feelings from the brawl as you see people clap each other on the back and congratulate those with bruises. You see Tarn offer Fat Bob a hand up and he accepts it gladly giving a deep belly laugh that the little one had managed to flatten him.

Morale is high and those on guard duty will certainly do a better job of it while those with the more menial chores will not grumble for a while.

However you notice Eva leaving the yard by herself. You had seen her in the midst of the brawl, a whirling dervish toppling those around her with little effort. But while you had navigated its ebb and flow with grace, manipulating the whole chaotic mess, she had been unable to turn it against you and score a blow. You can see in her eyes that the desire to bloody you has only grown stronger.

You could go to the tavern with those who are off duty, try and approach Eva, or go on duty yourself and see if there is any trouble that needs your attention.

Tal

Tal walks. His steps entering a practiced unhurried rhythm as he moves within the stone circle. With his eyes closed the wind stirring the sand seems louder. The feeling of the sun on his body stronger. The smell of his clothes more intense.

Time slips away and he feels like his mind is freed from its physical constraints. He could feel that while he had drawn the labyrinth so that those who visited him could see it in the physical realm, it had existed since long before he had cleared the area.

Finally he is aware that he kneels before the altar. Everything is dark and peaceful. However the stone given by Gav shines in his hand. He cannot see it, but he is certain that it gives off the impression of shining. In the same way the mask shaped rock also shines on the altar. Having given over his consciousness into the meditative state he is not surprised when of its own volition his hand places the stone onto the altar.

The sound of it lightly clacking against the stone surface rings out. The wave passing through him and then rebounding off the edges of the stone circle and converging once more in the center.

Tal has the sense that a woman stands before him. She doesn’t speak or move but there is a vitality present within her that feels overwhelming.

Tal may ask one question of this being.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aine

As the scene unfolds before me, I make note it must be some strange local custom and maintain my posture, in the back of the room leaning casually against the doorframe with my weapon strapped across my backandm y eyes scanning everyone in the room.
To bow is to place yourself at the mercy of another. Nordai don't even bow before family once they've reached fighting age, it shows you have so little regard for someone as a fighter that you're comfortable being careless, unarmed, and at a disadvantage within their reach. Bowing is considered disrespectful at best, or an offensively smug way to challenge a foe to trial by combat at worst.

If Verief wants me to bow before some stranger bearing nothing but a book she can drat well pay me to do it.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

He felt the presence behind him, but made no moves. At this point he didn't want to interrupt the connection. His body tensed as the connection between this world and the world of the spirits opened up. The experience could be traumatic for some, but Tal had grown adjusted to it. He realized the spirit would only tolerate the one question, so he made sure the question cut to the root of the issue.

"Why has this stone come into my possession?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn slapped Tarn and Fat Bob on their backs, "It seems Ava has other plans. She fought well, it would be a shame if she missed out on a well-deserved celebration." He passed the two a small handful of coins. "As I said, the first round is on me -- though I think you two may have to buy it instead of me. I'll be there as soon as I can drag Ava back."

He raised a fist in silent salute to the recruits filing out of the training grounds, then secured his short blade and sharpened knuckles. If he suspected right, Ava would not stop with words this time. If not, he was merely equipped to make rounds -- hardly surprising for him. It would not do to have her distracting the men and twisting his words when the time came for the guard to march into battle. She needed to submit, perish, or flee the hold entirely. He set off after her with a grim determination to his step.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 8, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar

Rolan's counsel is still fresh in my mind when I see the smirk twitch across Elond's face at the mention of each brother finding a "bunk."

"Rolan and I should check the market district today, to see if there are any new merchants that might provide us with helpful news from the outside world." With that I rise and gather myself.

"As for you and the rest of your brothers," I nod my head to the group still laughing and waving after the tavern keeper, "Let your day be untrammeled."

Elond's smirk settles wide on his face as he nods deeply and returns to his seat, and I hear Rolan give a slight chuckle as we turn to the door. Stepping out into the street, we begin making our way towards the market district.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Verief The Patient
0 Harm/0 Armour/ 2 Keep/Xp: 00000

I grimace. The Satrap was not an easy man to get along with. But here? He must be desperate if he thinks that he can simply arrive and not have to deal with me. Perhaps I should ally with the rebels in his city and try and send him away. No, too risky, better to let him come and keep him trapped and surrounded, even if it may provide some trouble.

"I am pleased to hear of the Satraps interest in our poor stronghold. I can well understand how his magnificence might forget about us" I say, my eyes fixed on the Milomar for any trace of discomfort "But should his grace wish to visit I can hardly refuse, especially on such generous terms! Perhaps you would be able to tell me what the Leader of the wastes has that can be brought here for sale. I am sure it is of the utmost importance".

Trying to keep the man talking to see if there is anything else I can learn. Also having a bit of difficulty with rolling on discord, any advice?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Verief and Aine

Before you can ask your question you see the Milomar's attention has been drawn to Aine. He cuts over your words.

"What MOCKERY is THIS?! The Holy Book is raised and some savage will not bow in these the lands of our true god and his representative the Satrap?!"

The crowd of people on their knees tenses. This was the preamble to Holy bloodshed if anyone had ever heard it before. The Milomar turns back to you Verief.

"Won't you send your guards to chastise this brute or must the Milomar themself dirty their hands with blood in the name of purity?!"

Tal

It is less of a voice and more of a feeling in your heart.

The stones must gather. You have awakened in this place the power of the Old Gods. Now from throughout the desert our parts must reunite. You care for this place and so they come to you.

With that the presence fades. Perhaps if you could gain another you could ask another question.

Urxar

You come to the market now moving toward its full swing. People hawk at passersby from stalls and try to attract them for their goods. Weapons, food, jewels, tapestries. Anything you might desire is on sale here. It has been a long time since you saw a marketplace to busy and thriving as this.

One particular part of the market place is cordoned off and guarded. It seems to be an auction area. However the guards are required to guarantee that all who enter are of means and mind to bid lest the seats fill with idle spectators.

You also note a small dark blue tent embroidered with stars. Unusual symbols decorate its doorway and Roland seems to try and draw you away from it but it seems strangely appealing.

You may look for anything you desire from within the market. If you wish to enter the auction you must display valuables worth at least 1 keep and the desire to bid with them. Or you can go into the mystery tent.

Emlyn

Finishing your words with the glads quickly you set off after Ava. She doesn't seem aware that you are following her but with narrow streets and bustling crowds tailing her is no easy task. Eventually she enters a low building that is dark. It doesn't look like a house but nor does it have any obvious wares on sale. As you draw closer the strong smell of intoxicants causes you to take a step back. Some kind of gambling house or narcotics den? You could just walk in but univited guests are seldom welcomed into these sorts of places.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn looked darkly at the building in front of him. A den of thugs, no doubt, but it posed no barrier to his determination. Ava must be removed. There was no other option. He walked forward and threw the door open. His eyes cast left and right, quickly taking stock of the situation inside.

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 8:27 AM
@Emlyn, Sword Master you rolled 6, 3+2 for a total of

What is my enemy's true position?
What should I be on the lookout for?
Who is in control here?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

"Hmm," So the path is laid out before me. I know what I have to do.

Tal got up and dusted himself off. The vision provided him the path, but it wasn't going to be an easy path to follow. This one stone will cause trouble, no doubt. The other items will no doubt bring their own troubles with them.

He left the labyrinth, taking a straight path instead of following the pattern. Now that the ceremony was over, the ritual of completing the labyrinth didn't need to be done. Leaving the ceremonial area, he walked to his cave for something to eat. And then after? Perhaps for the items to arrive, he would have to go meet them.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Emlyn

The room is dark and smoky. People lie on beautiful woven rugs sucking on hookah pipes oblivious to your entry. From here you can make out two possible doorways that Ava might have gone though. One is covered by silk and you can hear the tinkling girlish laughter coming from the other side. The other has a sturdy wooden door with a sliding faceplate.

You see no enemy here.
You cannot tell who is in control here.
You do not sense the need to keep a lookout from any of these people using the hookah pipes.

Tal

You make your way back to your cave and eat a humble meal. You spend the morning taking care of simple chores. The rhythm is familiar and comforting. Having spent much of your life on the road it is quite enjoyable to have a space you can call your own.

Around midday you hear the sounds of someone running toward your dwelling. You turn and see one of the younger female followers (Shara was it?) burst in panting.

"Wise one *pant* no time *pant* the guard *pant* will take Gav's hand!"

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar

Although I can feel Roland trying to subtly herd me away from the tent, the stars and unfamiliar symbols have caught my attention.

"Let us see who that is set up there," I say, pointing to the tent. "It looks as though it could belong to a traveler from far off. Perhaps they might have the news for us that these local merchants have been lacking."

I move to make our way to the tent and pull aside the entrance to look inside. Roland's hesitation is obvious, and I would be foolish to not proceed with some caution...

quote:

Read a Situation: @Urxar, The Wolfshead you rolled 3, 1 for a total of 4.
"What should I be on the lookout for?"
XP+1 (highlighted stat: Sharp)

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 29, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Urxar

As you make your way around the tent and look at it you are intrigued by the materials and designs. It seems to be made of some kind of velvety fabric that seems too heavy to be of real use traveling any distance in the desert. The writing is in some language you are unfamiliar with but the fanciful swoops and artful bends make it seem like it's for decoration than for communication.

"Brother, let's away from here. There's dark magics at play and much the same as rollin' in a sty will cover you in pig poo poo, walking in there will bring you no good."

However Roland's voice sounds distnt and you wave him down expressing that there's no need to be afraid. Pushing aside the flap you enter while Roland backs off making superstitious hand signs to ward himself.

Inside a striking woman sits idly shuffling cards. Despite the quiet she weaves her head around as if listening to some lilting music. She sits at a low table and there is a chair opposite her. However she holds up a hand preventing you from sitting. She points from your pouch to a golden bowl beside the door. You have a few gemstones in there but it seems a tad foolish to pay before even knowing what services are being offered. But the idea of leaving without even hearing her voice strikes you as unthinkable.

Emptying the gems into the bowl you make your way and sit down. Her eyes bore into you and you wait for a minute or two before she finally speaks.

"Unchained. I have words for you. Words of wealth. Words of love. Words of destiny. Which will you hear?"

You lose 1 keep.

You can choose to listen to her read her cards on one of these three topics. Or you can choose another topic if you want. Should you listen to her roll +Spirit. 10+ and her words herald great fortune for you and your band. 7-9 and her words speak of opportunity. 6- and her words will be a dire portent.

You can also choose not to listen to her and instead leave. If you do you could steal your gems back from the bowl on the way out.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Apocron posted:

Verief and Aine

Before you can ask your question you see the Milomar's attention has been drawn to Aine. He cuts over your words.

"What MOCKERY is THIS?! The Holy Book is raised and some savage will not bow in these the lands of our true god and his representative the Satrap?!"

The crowd of people on their knees tenses. This was the preamble to Holy bloodshed if anyone had ever heard it before. The Milomar turns back to you Verief.

"Won't you send your guards to chastise this brute or must the Milomar themself dirty their hands with blood in the name of purity?!"

Verief The Patient

Just wonderful, I thought, you couldn't just keep your eyes on me could you, oh no "look around the hall for reasons to be pissed off about your precious book".

"My friend!" I exclaim to the Milomar, "You have clearly been amongst the Satraps men too long, it is not mockery that drives the poor and benighted to not bow to the book, it is instead ignorance and" at this point I glared and shook my head slightly at Aine "Abject stupidity".

"Please, let this not under cut our current gains, I will have my men" at this I gesture to Grig "Take this miscreant aside and instruct them in making her more compliant to our Lords greatness".

pre:
Manipulate Someone: @Verief the Patient you rolled 3, 1 for a total of 4.
Prepare for the worst

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Milomar

You cannot see the Milomar's face beneath his mask but his voice sounds crazed.

"You are known as patient but such forbearance in the face of this great insult disgraces this very court! If you cannot control your own subjects in the presence of divinity then how could I possibly recommend the Satrap come into your halls?!

Blood! I demand blood here and now! Before these very witnesses! Take this savage and make her bleed that we might all see that you are master of this court and a god fearing friend of the Satrap!"

You feel an overwhelming pressure as the weight of everyone in the room lies on you.

The only way he will be satisfied is if you will wound Aine publicly. No pulled punches. If you cannot do this before the witnesses it will be seen as a sign of weakness by your court and stronghold.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn looked between the two paths available. Ava hardly seemed the type to sell herself for coin, yet also didn't seem the type to avail herself of paid flesh. That left the barred door. A password would be required, no doubt, most likely to keep those like him out. Perhaps a weakness for coin would present a path forward. Or fear. Fear might open a door.

He strode over to the barred door and rapped on it twice.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Emlyn

The small slot in the door slides open. It is covered by a dense black cloth that doesn't allow you to see whoever is currently watching you. Whoever is there waits for a moment to see what you will say.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tal, the Mystic

His first thought is to tell her to calm down so that he could figure out the details of the situation. Those thoughts were quickly superseded by the necessity to get going. Gav couldn't wait.

Tal got up and let Shara lead the way to where Gav was being kept. When they got there, then he would figure the situation out.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Tal, the Mystic

It is just as well that you decide to follow Shara. She leads you at a sprint into town and toward the market place. Your robes whip at your feet and threaten to trip you while dust and sand is kicked into your eyes by Shara. Everyone turns to watch you as you pass as running is an extremely shameful act except for situations of dire peril. You're sure people will be gossiping about whatever is happening for weeks.

Just in time you arrive at the elevated platform usually reserved for public executions, or in this case, removing a thief's hand. A large crowd separates you from the dais where two guards hold Gav and a third holds his scimitar waving it before the crowd psyching them up.

"Good people of the Oasis. This troublemaker has been caught in the act of thieving. Well we all know what the penalty for a thief is. And this scum has already tasted the justice of our patient lady once."

The guard reaches down and pulls off the bandage that covers the hole where Gav's eye once was. The crowd cheers and he throws it to them.

"What say you!"

The crowd begins chanting.

"The hand! The hand!"

Some make chopping signs on their own wrists and you can see their encouragement only fires up the guard even more. He begins weaving his scimitar around, walking around Gav. Then begins to prepare himself to make the cut. Shara's eyes stream with tears as she looks at you pleadingly. It's hard to tell how Gav is feeling as he lies limply beside the cutting block with his wrist on it. Had they knocked him out before dragging him up there?

What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aine
0 Harm | 1-armor | 3-keep | XP ●○○○○»

My eyes narrow at the man's reaction, the formal dialect everyone speaks is more difficult than the common speech here, so I take a moment to compose my words as carefully as possible.
"Honorable Malomar, I am not from this place. I mean you no disrespect, I was surprised because in my culture, to bow before someone is to show grave disrespect to them. In my home, if I had bowed before you as these people do, you would be honor-bound to challenge me to trial by combat. If you wish to fight, I will oblige you out of respect for your obviously high position, but I come here in peace."
Seduce Or Manipulate 5 +xp
Pepare for the worst
Weeeeelp :black101:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 1, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn

Emlyn tapped his coin purse, causing the bits inside to jingle slightly. "I seek Ava."

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Urxar
0 Harm | 2 armor | 0 keep | XP ●●○○○»

I can feel Roland's unease behind me, but something about this strange woman has my attention.

"Unchained you say. Then you know who I am," I begin as I lean forward.

"And you know what I seek."

These exotic trappings and the unfamiliar writing, certainly she is not from here. I don't believe in such mysticism as reading cards, but perhaps she has useful knowledge of the world outside these walls.

"I could have taken my gems to the merchants out there," I point over my shoulder, "but as late, they've lacked any information useful to my purpose. I don't seek false words of riches or fame from you, I only seek any knowledge you have of how I might help my brothers and sisters still bound in slavery. Not 'Wealth.' Not 'Love.'"

"Speak to me words of Freedom."

quote:

@Urxar, The Wolfshead you rolled 6, 1-1 for a total of 6.
"Speak to me words of Freedom."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Verief, Aine and the Milomar

As the foreigner speaks up the attention of the room swings onto her. They had all felt awkward when she had refused to bow with them but as she continues to stand in defiance and even speaks back people begin whispering.

"SILENCE!"

The Milomar screams before panting heavily with rage.

"You foreign scum dare to come in here and to threaten me?! What madness is this Verief?!"

He strides toward Aine.

"I do not CARE where you are from! I do not RESPECT your culture! I do not ACCEPT duels from savages. You are in this Holy Desert by the grace of god and the Satrap! You offend creation itself with your feigned ignorance and pride. If you will not kneel then I will cut you down to size."

Aine had stood ready as soon as she noticed that he was on warpath. Confident in her skills. However she wasn't prepared for this speed. While he was still ten paces away the Milomar suddenly lunged. She couldn't tell if it was magic or technique but in a split second he was before her, sword sweeping across to cleave into her.

Aine you have to roll "Go into danger" to keep your cool and react in time to avoid the swipe. Whether or not you are struck you are free to then Unleash on him if you wish. Or you could take the hit and allow him to seem the badass in front of the bystanders.

Verief, this is bad. Through you and Aine's blundering attempts at manipulating the Milomar he has worked himself into a frenzy. What's worse the crowd is completely on his side. Should he not come out of this safely and should Aine not go unpunished you face not only the wrath of the Satrap but also the lost faith of those witnessing these events.

Urxar your prophecy is in part tied up to how things resolve here!

Emlyn

The door slat slides shut with a clack. Then you hear the sounds of bars and bolts being slid from the other side of the door before it is opened for you.

The man behind it is huge, well over 2 meters tall and he gives the impression of being 2 meters wide. He seems far more intimidating than the flimsy oak door that had stood in your way moments before. He flashes you a toothy (well he has most of his teeth) grin. He happily takes your gems and pulls you in.

The room beyond seems to be some kind of fight club. A deep pit is dug into the center of the room and two thugs who look like they've had about twenty blows too many drowzily circle each other throwing wild haymakers. It is hardly a contest of champions. The spectators around the pit don't seem to care that much and whoop and jeer with every meaty thud struck. You look for Ava. After scanning the crowd and the area where the next competitors are psyching themselves up you notice tucked into the back corner a bar. She sits in a stool with her back to you drinking whatever piss they serve in dives like this.

You have the sense that you have been noticed by a few of the regulars as a new face but considering you got past that wall of a man by the entrance they seem satisfied only to note your entrance and nothing more.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Apocron posted:

Verief, Aine and the Milomar

Verief, this is bad. Through you and Aine's blundering attempts at manipulating the Milomar he has worked himself into a frenzy. What's worse the crowd is completely on his side. Should he not come out of this safely and should Aine not go unpunished you face not only the wrath of the Satrap but also the lost faith of those witnessing these events.

Urxar your prophecy is in part tied up to how things resolve here!

In moments like this I always remember my grandfathers motto "things can always get worse". I yell immediately to the crowd "Keep back or there will be more violence!"

I gesture to my guards, they surround the current group of petitioners. In this case it is actually for their protection. The last thing I need is war with people both inside and outside the fortresses gates due to the Milomar getting shirty with a sell sword.

"Stay back, we let these fools finish what they have both started."

pre:
defend something you hold
Verief the Patient you rolled 5, 4+2 for a total of 11.
You suffer little harm (-1harm).
You hold it decisively against your enemy’s advance.
You impress, dismay, or frighten your enemy.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Emlyn
4-harm (KK) | 3-armor (KK) | 0-keep | XP XX○○○»

Emlyn nodded to the man and then walked through the area surrounding the fighting pit. He noticed a few stares on the way, but nothing worth noting. Rabble, the lot. Finally, his eyes rest on the bar in the back. There she was. His instincts cried out to just bare steel and cut everyone in his way to ribbons, but he forced it back down. This was not the legion. These were not the endless wars. He was in a position of some authority here. It would not do to be so cavalier as a representative of Verief.

He moved quietly and slipped into the seat beside her. "Ava. We both know that this must end. You cannot defeat me and I cannot trust you as a member of the guard. I give you the chance to end this without blood being shed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Aine
0 Harm | 1-armor | 3-keep | XP ●●●○○»

In an instant, he's on me. Sword poised to strike. mí-ádh!
I slip sideways and out the door, I'll have the advantage if I can keep him bottlenecked in the door to the chamber with me able to use my Great Blade freely. This was not how I'd planned for today to work out.
Go into Danger 7 +xp
It's not the smoothest of maneuvers, but I manage to unsling my weapon from my back and bring it to bear nearly as fast as this raging oaf attacked me. I bring my weapon up into a typical standing parry, leveraging the long hilt of the great blade against his own weapon to step within his guard and bring my own fury to bear.
Fly at someone 13 +xp
they have to choose:
- Force your hand and suffer the consequences
- Submit and do what you want

What I want is for the Milomar to yield. If he forces me, I do 4 harm, ignoring armor (3 for being deadly, +1 from merciless)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 4, 2016

• Locked thread