Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Also, I just moved to NC so that's one less Chicago box this year. I'll try and include some Wicked Weed or other cool local beer from around here in the box I send once I get a better grip on what's around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Avenged posted:

Hyde Your Whalez. Your Kelley just scared the everloving poo poo out of me.

Good play this week dawg.

Good game! Bennett did nothing, so I was hopeful RKelley could bring me back. Made it competitive at least.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dang, nice win Drunk Nerds. That Ted Ginn bomb TD...

Love the name change, Zam.

So I wasn't able to find a way for us to feasibly give the top 2 teams a bye in an 8 team playoff. Any ideas? We had to go with no byes last year, and it's not ideal, but I'm struggling to think of how to fix it.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Tyreek Mutha Fuckin' Hill?!?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

So I wasn't able to find a way for us to feasibly give the top 2 teams a bye in an 8 team playoff. Any ideas? We had to go with no byes last year, and it's not ideal, but I'm struggling to think of how to fix it.

Just change it next year I suppose, no need to force the issue (at least on my account)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Retemnav posted:

Tyreek Mutha Fuckin' Hill?!?

That guy FUCKS. I love being in a 16 team league because otherwise I would have never started him with confidence.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

spacejung posted:

Just change it next year I suppose, no need to force the issue (at least on my account)

It's not that I can't physically change it, I'm just trying to fathom how to have it work unless we do a 4 week playoff, since we'd have 5 teams around in Week 15. See what I mean?

Week 14 -8 teams make playoffs
2 teams on bye
3 H2H matchups

Week 15
5 teams (2 with first round byes, 3 H2H winners)

I might be missing something, so let me know if there's another way to handle it. I guess we could go down to just 6 teams for the future, but I'm not sure I love that either.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

It's not that I can't physically change it, I'm just trying to fathom how to have it work unless we do a 4 week playoff, since we'd have 5 teams around in Week 15. See what I mean?

2 teams on bye
3 H2H matchups

Week 15

I might be missing something, so let me know if there's another way to handle it. I guess we could go down to just 6 teams for the future, but I'm not sure I love that either.

I don't think you're missing anything - the only way you could really do a bye week with 8 teams would be a clipped bracket where teams 1-4 compete for as high as 1st and 5-8 compete for as high as 2nd, and as you surmise that would take 4 weeks (and I'm sure no one would want it).

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
There is literally a .2 separation on the projection between myself and Rawls, with each of us having a GB receiver going tonight. Im crapping my pants.

May the best WR on this garbage fire team win. Good luck!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

2 teams on bye
3 H2H matchups

Week 15

Yeah, I don't think there's anything that you can do this year. Next year we might want to consider doing a 6 team playoff by breaking out into two conferences of 4 divisions each (4 division champs plus 2 wildcards).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Thanks, yeah that crazy ginn bomb made me dragon punch my ceiling
Started 1-5, then went 5-1 and on the playoff bubble!

Agreed that there's no real way to give people byes in the first round in an 8 playoff scenario

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Simplest way is to two get byes and then there are two matches between three people with one winner in the first round, but that is far from elegant

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Avenged posted:

There is literally a .2 separation on the projection between myself and Rawls, with each of us having a GB receiver going tonight. Im crapping my pants.

Haha, that ended up being a lot less dramatic than I thought it would be. Wishing I hadn't dropped Adams way back when.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005

dphi posted:

Haha, that ended up being a lot less dramatic than I thought it would be. Wishing I hadn't dropped Adams way back when.

That sucked from the first drive. My wife needed 7 points from Matthews to win too.

Good match this week though!

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Avenged posted:

I knew it all along!

Just kidding, I own him in 3 leagues and this was the only one I started him in. Jesus Christ. I missed the first part of the game, so when I checked ESPN and saw he had two TD's I started doing this awful dance in front of my family.

ITT I convince myself to not start Mark Ingram and still win. The playoffs in this league are going to be disgusting.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I think it's fitting my team finally imploded on the last week of the regular season

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Good luck tonight Zam. I need Moncrief to outscore Forte by 1...

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Provided Dwayne Allen doesn't turn into a rocketship and score 23 points, I should sneak into the playoffs after starting the season 1-5.

I will then drop Kaepernick and pee on his body

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Cervixalot posted:

Good luck tonight Zam. I need Moncrief to outscore Forte by 1...

Good luck. Definitely makes tonight's game much more interesting for me.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Provided Dwayne Allen doesn't turn into a rocketship and score 23 points, I should sneak into the playoffs after starting the season 1-5.

I will then drop Kaepernick and pee on his body

WHYYYYYYYYYY????!!!! loving COVER DWAYNE ALLEN HE IS OPEN FOR TOUCHDOWNS

I still have room, Allen "only" has 15.8 points, which gives me 6.7 to spare... damb Allen Why?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I went from 6th in the division to 2nd as a result of this weekends games

:captainpop:

I'm probably gonna get bounced in the 1st round but I did not expect to make the playoffs

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Dear Jota, Mikey Purp, and Drunk Nerds,

Remember when I traded Hopkins for Ware and everyone laughed at me? There's a method to my madness.

1) Osweiler is a bad QB as evidenced by being 26th among all QBs in fantasy points. His poor play severely impacts the points potential of Hopkins.

2) Alex Smith is also bad at 24th overall among QBs in Fantasy Points. The difference here is that Ware actually becomes more of an asset the worse Smith plays.

3)
code:
week	Ware	Hopkins	+/-
5	BYE	14.1	-14.1
6	23.3	11.6	+11.7
7	20.1	6.1	+14
8	5.7	6.4	-0.7
9	0	BYE	0
10	8.7	7.3	+1.4
11	9.5	8.3	+1.2
12	10.6	9.5	+1.1
13	18.7	13.3	+5.4

96.6	76.6	+20
In closing,
Suck my butt and have a nice day.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

To be fair, this trade occurred right after week 4. At the time Jamaal was in games and trending upwards and the narrative was that Ware would, at best, take on a 50/50 split of backfield duties as Charles resumed RB1 duties. Meanwhile Hopkins had put up decent but not great numbers for 3 out of 4 games, putting up only .9 points in week 4 against Tennessee. Yes, Osweiler looked bad from the start of the season, but at that time I don't think anyone could have really guessed exactly how bad he would be and how much he would destroy Hopkins' value.

So I mean, yeah your logic makes sense in hindsight, but give me a loving break if you want me to believe that you were confidently projecting Charles to IR and that Osweiler would continue to devolve.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Ware was playing well and putting up good points even while sharing RB duties. He tallied more total points than Hopkins and more importantly his numbers over the first 4 weeks were way more consistent. When I looked at the numbers I was seeing the value of replacing a feast or famine player with someone who could potentially put up the same sort of points but on a more consistent basis. And the fact that Hopkins numbers were entirely reliant on Osweiler is what sealed the deal for me. I'm not saying I foretold the future. I was honestly just thinking it would be a straight up fair trade with Ware putting up the same sorts of numbers but over more of a regular spread. I was also dealing with a logjam at WR with Beasley putting up great numbers and no place on my roster. Meanwhile my RB situation was atrocious. It made perfect sense.

edit - And yes, I was predicting Osweiler would start playing badly. He is not a good QB and I was betting on him playing to his level, which he started to do over the next few weeks.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 6, 2016

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
For my part I was completely empty at WR due to draft gently caress-ups so I had to do something. I thought most of the shock in the thread was due to Hopkins's name as Ware was a well known sleeper and RBs are incredibly scarce (and in this league impossible to find on the wire). I projected Charles to IR myself; it was only a matter of time.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Good luck today, beer people.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Making it to the second round on the back of Tyreek Hill, exactly as planned when I drafted this dumb team.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Second year in a row of leading in PF and getting knocked out of the playoffs early. At least I secured myself one box of beer?

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Started today up by 8 against NE D and my Edelman. I'm now terrified.

Fantasy Football.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

Second year in a row of leading in PF and getting knocked out of the playoffs early. At least I secured myself one box of beer?

Good game man. You definitely have the better team, but this week was just super weird and I lucked out.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Dear Jota, Mikey Purp, and Drunk Nerds,

Remember when I traded Hopkins for Ware and everyone laughed at me? There's a method to my madness.

1) Osweiler is a bad QB as evidenced by being 26th among all QBs in fantasy points. His poor play severely impacts the points potential of Hopkins.

2) Alex Smith is also bad at 24th overall among QBs in Fantasy Points. The difference here is that Ware actually becomes more of an asset the worse Smith plays.

3)
code:
week	Ware	Hopkins	+/-
5	BYE	14.1	-14.1
6	23.3	11.6	+11.7
7	20.1	6.1	+14
8	5.7	6.4	-0.7
9	0	BYE	0
10	8.7	7.3	+1.4
11	9.5	8.3	+1.2
12	10.6	9.5	+1.1
13	18.7	13.3	+5.4

96.6	76.6	+20
In closing,
Suck my butt and have a nice day.

Yeah that ended up a great trade, well done.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cervixalot posted:

Hey I remember you saying that the consolation bracket winner gets a box? Is that correct?

Just loving the irony after that epic meltdown because Dwayne Allen utterly hosed me out of a playoff-spot comeback... I might win the box whcih would mean that Dwayne Allen actually loving me over, in fact, won me a box.

It would also mean that someone lost in the consolation bracket to an 0-13 team, which is further proof that existence is a meaningless joke

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Good game man. You definitely have the better team, but this week was just super weird and I lucked out.

Good game my friend. When Tyreek Hill went off I saw the writing on the wall, and that Jamies to Evans connection finally failed me.

Good luck in round 2!

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Congrats to Zam on the win, also nice work on the wire all season.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

spacejung posted:

Congrats to Zam on the win, also nice work on the wire all season.

Good match, and thanks! Atlanta saved me from Big Ben's disappointing game and Forte's injury.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hey I remember you saying that the consolation bracket winner gets a box? Is that correct?

I don't remember what was decided this year, but I got one winning the consolation bracket I think two years back.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I support the consolation bracket winner getting a box. Not only does it make that bracket "worth" something, but it also helps keep the waiver actions of the winning bracket a bit more fair when everyone is still playing for something.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah that ended up a great trade, well done.

It did but it was entirely based upon pure blind luck. A lot of fantasy is, but him trying to act like a secret genius now is great

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Speaking of secret genius, I am just as loving confused at my team's ability to compete as everyone else. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Sorry, I pm'd drunk nerds and forgot to post in the thread. Same compensation rules as last year

• Locked thread