Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

AradoBalanga posted:

You did complete a game with Evangelion in it. It was only inevitable that this be the ending.

*cues up "Komm, Susser Todd"*

It's neat how the End of Evangelion EVA-01 in Alpha 3 is one of the only non-Banpresto Original bosses ever to have boss priority for its music. The only other boss I'm aware of that's not a Banpresto Original and overrides music is Bundol from Goshogun, who's literally playing it from his ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

It's neat how the End of Evangelion EVA-01 in Alpha 3 is one of the only non-Banpresto Original bosses ever to have boss priority for its music. The only other boss I'm aware of that's not a Banpresto Original and overrides music is Bundol from Goshogun, who's literally playing it from his ship.

There's Proist in SRW L, with New World Symphony, Khamen Khamen in Alpha Gaiden, Evil in both J and W, Canard for a little while in W...

I think there's more than I am remembering right now.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Grashbar posted:

There's Proist in SRW L, with New World Symphony, Khamen Khamen in Alpha Gaiden, Evil in both J and W, Canard for a little while in W...

Char in A Portable, and maybe Advance.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Grashbar posted:

Oh, that's right, I'd forgotten that Khamen Khamen's decidedly excellent theme played during battle, ditto the New World Symphony, Here Comes Char, and Eternal Loneliness. Never took the SEED routes in W, though, so that's something new learned.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

Inferno-sama posted:

Char in A Portable, and maybe Advance.

I think Advance applies as well

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thanks for another excellent LP!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Congratulations!

So what did they do in OG to make Hugo and Aqua suck less as characters?

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

The Sandman posted:

Congratulations!

The game has been translated, and it's right here if you want to find out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Congratulations!

Short version:

--The Cry Wolves appear in OG Gaiden as part-time units (read: they don't permanently join). They retrieve the wreck of the Soulgain from the White Star, essentially partially saving Axel.
--Albero was once considered for a position on the original Aggressors squad, but turned it down.
--We actually meet Foglia Est and he's playable, complete with his own personal theme, "Going Ocher". Sadly dies like in MX, except on screen this time.
--The Jetzt, a cloned offshoot of the Einst made by the Tsentr Project (IIRC) is what's used instead of the Devil Gundam.
--We meet Aqua's father, who's a big-shot Earth Federation politician in 2nd OGs.
--Aqua is a Kai Kitamura fangirl.
--Speaking of Kai, he slowly becomes a father figure towards Hugo in 2nd OGs.
--MX's plot crosses over with D's plot, with Josh being one of Hugo's friends in 2nd OGs.

Aside from the other things I mentioned earlier (the Garberus, Aqua piloting solo for more than a stage), the rest of MX's adapted plot is in the translated script that Grashbar linked.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

In other words, their backstory is told in present tense and they have connections to the setting that don't feel as shoehorned in (even though, by definition, it was crammed in later).

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

MX does still take sort of a side seat to the major plots of 2nd OGs (D, Alpha 2), but it's much less egregious than in its own game. MX's plot is on more of a personal scale anyway, so it works out.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also AI1 merges with Euzeth Gozzo, and you get to kick his smug rear end.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Congratulations!

so what you're saying is that unlike almost every other set of originals, OGs actually improves the MX crew? Though I can only imagine that despite MD kinda not being narratively swell to Calvina, the J people have a net positive since these two games are really weird in how detached the originals are from the rest of it, since I guess around Alpha 2 they got skittish about their characters being too central? IIRC even W had the Ardyguns a little detached from people besides the Astray crew, it was just harder to notice because they had such good chemistry within each other and were in more scenes in a commanding role on account of having an original battleship and all

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The MX crew actually interact with other things and Kai is a good dad. Aqua even talks with the Masoukishin people about what animal familiar she would want if she had one. She's also shown to be really super good at her job. Then in MD Hugo and Aqua are Mr and Miss Not Appearing In This Game with all of about 3 lines between them and two of them are Aqua going "its not a swimsuit I hate it" but what are you gonna do.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

so what you're saying is that unlike almost every other set of originals, OGs actually improves the MX crew? Though I can only imagine that despite MD kinda not being narratively swell to Calvina, the J people have a net positive since these two games are really weird in how detached the originals are from the rest of it, since I guess around Alpha 2 they got skittish about their characters being too central? IIRC even W had the Ardyguns a little detached from people besides the Astray crew, it was just harder to notice because they had such good chemistry within each other and were in more scenes in a commanding role on account of having an original battleship and all
OG definitely has let the originals grow out of their base outlines and stand out more, since they don't have featured series to pick up the slack and now it's firmly on their shoulders to carry the plot. Several people have grown into the older mentor roles like Irm and Kai, while others have grown into the reliable friends to have around like Ryusei and Kouta. The Alpha Octet have become more than just the old 4 personality types split across genders and have had some good arcs (Bullet and Yuuki sadly have been underdeveloped, even with Bullet's Alpha 2 arc being rewritten). Admittedly yes, Calvina plays second fiddle in Moon Dwellers to Touya, but on the other hand she is one of the best pilots in the game and will ruin everyone's poo poo like it was an Olympic sport, and two major villains have their motivations/backstories lifted from her J route, not Touya's.

I'd argue the ones that got the shaft the most with the jump to OG were the R originals. When your villains get underplayed and your final boss turns from surprisingly tragic into generic underling to a bigger villain, you definitely have messed up the adaptive script. Then to forget them completely until late in development for 2nd OGs doesn't help matters either. At least Moon Dwellers took some steps to let them be relevant in the plot for some time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Banpresto is better at making original villains.
Debudidabide: I havent even played or read through moon dwellers and I love the fucker.
SANDO HANDO DA

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I managed to get lost in this thread about 2/3 through and only just caught up, so:
Combolations, Elizagerth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
And the LP is now up on the archives, so that all may read and be confused by the unholy RahXephon-Evangelion combination.

And face all the Congratulations posting, I reckon I oughta say something before locking the thread.

: Thank y--
: HOLD IT!!

: Thank you all.

:toot:

• Locked thread