Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DK64 was just an inferior Banjo-Kazooie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MikeJF posted:

DK64 was just an inferior Banjo-Kazooie

Nintendo really got rid of Rare at the right time. They really started to slip in the late N64 era.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Today I learned that apparently Australia is the only place where it's see-guh and not say-ga. :psyduck: for some reason we just got our own official pronunciation. Even ads the company made used see-guh down here. And when you run a mega drive at 50Hz PAL the Sega noise at the start can sound like see-guh.

hey, i'm australian and have pronounced it seega since the 90's as well, but the sega sound in the games is unambiguously sayga

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's almost as if Australians cant read or speak properly as a rule.

lol.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Europe also ran at 50HZ and we can pronounce sega right, drat aussies

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There was a point about ten years ago where Sega Australia's PR was really trying to establish the proper pronunciation, they'd drill people before interviews and stuff to make sure to not say See-ga, but they gave up pretty quickly because nobody who wasn't a Sega employee ever stuck with it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
As someone who recently revisited both Adventure 2 and Crash, they both have their own problems but I have a soft spot for each.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I love Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure and I am glad that I live in a world where I can play both of them

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Davinci posted:

I love Super Mario 64 and Sonic Adventure and I am glad that I live in a world where I can play both of them

I’m excited about the rumors of them both being remastered and hope they both end up being true.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Davinci posted:

:same:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m excited about the rumors of them both being remastered and hope they both end up being true.

make Sonic playable in SM64 and vice-versa imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the cool posts kid posted:

hey, i'm australian and have pronounced it seega since the 90's as well, but the sega sound in the games is unambiguously sayga

Naaah. The modern ones are sayga but the ones on sonic 1-k can definitely be heard as Seega. I suspect it ends up being one of those things where you hear it the way you think it should be.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's so compressed that I wouldn't fault someone for thinking it's "seagull" or "Seagal"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sonic Adventure 1&2 get remade...

...but both Chao Gardens are now gacha/microtransaction hell.

Another finger on the monkey paw curls.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryanthedrummond/status/1253443827378958336?s=21

“ IT WAS NOTHING!!!! YOU GET NOTHING!!!!”

It was just a dumb radio drama fan project looooooollllllll

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Mike Pollock is not nothing you son of a bitch. He is our glorious eggboy and we love him very much.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mike Pollock is not nothing you son of a bitch. He is our glorious eggboy and we love him very much.

Mike Pollock is my favourite he rules, his eggman is the best.

Ugh, RIP long john baldry....

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Huge lmao to everyone who jumped on the SA1 remake thought train

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

lmao

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Al-Saqr posted:

Mike Pollock is my favourite he rules, his eggman is the best.

Ugh, RIP long john baldry....

There was only one bad Robotnik, but he doesn't count because he thinks vaccines cause autism.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

There was only one bad Robotnik, but he doesn't count because he thinks vaccines cause autism.

Which actor was this?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Which actor was this?
Jim Carrey, I suppose.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Which actor was this?

I think he’s referring to Jim Carrey.
Speaking of which I just saw the movie and liked it. It wasn’t very Sonic-y but it was fun, and I did actually enjoy Robotnik a lot!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

i think SA1 remake is eventually gonna happen, but i would peg it for 2023, since that's the game's 25th anniversary

and we'll presumably get the first teases of it from the sonic twitter, not from some random VA

e: jesus gently caress Sonic Adventure is almost 25 years old where the gently caress has my life gone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think he’s referring to Jim Carrey.
Speaking of which I just saw the movie and liked it. It wasn’t very Sonic-y but it was fun, and I did actually enjoy Robotnik a lot!

Same. Honestly I think the only Robotnik/Eggman voice I’m not a fan of is Gary Chalk from Underground, he just kind of sounded like a generic bad guy there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yes, how dare people, long trapped in a desert of nothing jump at anything that even remotely like water.

Larryb posted:

Same. Honestly I think the only Robotnik/Eggman voice I’m not a fan of is Gary Chalk from Underground, he just kind of sounded like a generic bad guy there.

We live in a world where SatAM style robotnik could have been voiced by David (Megatron, then Optimus) Kane. If that’s not the injustice of Sonic Underground I dunno what is.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 24, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yes, how dare people, long trapped in a desert of nothing jump at anything that even remotely like water.

We live in a world where SatAM style robotnik could have been voiced by David (Megatron, then Optimus) Kane. If that’s not the injustice of Sonic Underground I dunno what is.

Hadn’t heard of that, what’s the story there?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
What kind of holy hell of a thread did i just read where people argue mario 64 isnt good and fuckin sonic adventure 1 aged gracefully

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ArfJason posted:

What kind of holy hell of a thread did i just read where people argue mario 64 isnt good and fuckin sonic adventure 1 aged gracefully

Welcome to sonic, may I take your order?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ArfJason posted:

If you think that’s bad, go to into CD in any thread discussing the Star Wars prequels.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Did people seriously think an SA1 remake was coming because the dude who voiced Sonic back then tweeted a Sonic picture? Like...you don't think they wouldn't just use Roger (who is way better, also, Jason Griffith was way better than Drummond too) if they did do a remake?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ArfJason posted:

I mean like one person

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ArfJason posted:

they’re both good and both show their age op

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

Did people seriously think an SA1 remake was coming because the dude who voiced Sonic back then tweeted a Sonic picture? Like...you don't think they wouldn't just use Roger (who is way better, also, Jason Griffith was way better than Drummond too) if they did do a remake?

roger rules but i always really liked drummond in every game after sa1. griffith never did it for me though he did get better with each performance. he was always way too nice sounding, sonic shouldn't sound like that unless the situation really calls for it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Roger does snarky rear end in a top hat Sonic really well but isn’t that great in my opinion when he has to get serious. Griffith at the very least seemed to get better as he went along, Black Knight was ironically probably his best performance (as it was also his last). Drummond was really good in my opinion (SA1 not withstanding) but also had the shortest time in the role.

Plus as I said before, getting the original cast back would basically be impossible as the kids who played Tails are too old now and Eggman’s original VA Deem Bristow is long dead (also Jon St John apparently hates doing the Big voice). Not sure what Drummond and the rest of the old cast have been up to lately though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 24, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sharrrk posted:

roger rules but i always really liked drummond in every game after sa1. griffith never did it for me though he did get better with each performance. he was always way too nice sounding, sonic shouldn't sound like that unless the situation really calls for it

Drummond's best performance was SA2, Griffith's best (and last) performance was Black Knight and, I dunno, I gotta give the edge to Black Knight. Once the dubs weren't being directed by 4Kids anymore, the actors that they kept using until they got new roles for everybody, notably Griffith and Pollock, started improving in those roles by leaps and bounds.

Larryb posted:

Roger does snarky rear end in a top hat Sonic really well but isn’t that great in my opinion when he has to get serious.

Iiiii would argue that this is because Roger has not had a single opportunity to play a serious Sonic in a script that wasn't godawful.

(it's probably not a coincidence that two of the best performances of Sonic, Drummond in SA2 and Griffith in Black Knight, are probably the two best written games, especially when it comes to Sonic's character! The only halfway decent material Roger has gotten is the few jokes that aren't total duds)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

According to Ryan, he was the top choice out of the auditions for post-4kids Sonic, but turned it down because Sega was offering peanuts for the role. I doubt they’d have him back for a game (remake or otherwise) unless they either paid him decently or he changed his mind.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Hadn’t heard of that, what’s the story there?

My point was that ocean group did the voice work for Sonic Underground so Kane was a possiblity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

According to Ryan, he was the top choice out of the auditions for post-4kids Sonic, but turned it down because Sega was offering peanuts for the role. I doubt they’d have him back for a game (remake or otherwise) unless they either paid him decently or he changed his mind.

Out of curiosity, is Ryan Drummond (or any of the original English cast) still doing voice work? And if so, have they had a role in anything significant lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I was sorely disappointed that Sonic Adventure didn’t play exactly like Super Mario 64