Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Evil Eagle posted:

I don't even know what the circus game is so I guess it's something not in the PC version

Yeah they were removed from the PC version, maybe cause they were very gimmicky. Because of that, they also dramatically lowered the animal cost counts since you were supposed to do the circus game to get a lot of them. The Wii U version needs like ~21900 animals, and the PC version only requires ~9400.

When I played the PC version I was shocked by how easy it was to unlock levels, I basically didn't have to grind. I think I had to grind a lot of animals for each animal gate near the end. It turned me off super hard from the game at the time (though I've since mellowed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
"Zavok is really into bees now" always makes me laugh

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Fedule posted:

(There's an anecdote somewhere that Dragon Road is by area the size of Skyrim, which I'd love to see a source on but frankly I could believe it as is).

i've been trying to find this quote forever, I'm pretty sure it's from a dev interview pre-release or something.

Otherwise really good post and completely agree

While I love generations' style and want to see more, you could iterate on lost world and make something really fun. the surreal planetoid style could make for some really fun slower, momentum based gameplay

Or just hire the Hero engine or sonic gt folks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skeletome posted:

The issue people clocked earlier around weird gameplay gimmicks/ replaying levels is that it must be a huge cost to make Sonic levels- they're massive racetracks. Unleashed looked gorgeous and its day levels were fantastic, but it's miles upon miles of road to create. You don't have that issue with a slower platformer

I feel like they had a good idea with the visual style of Lost World - even if you want to forget the galaxy style gravity wrapping, big pretty stages floating in air in distant abstract backgrounds so that huge levels can be easily drawn out without having to expend effort on the surrounds, and they can focus their effort on gameplay level design.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ventana posted:

The Wii U version needs like ~21900 animals, and the PC version only requires ~9400.

lol jesus

I thought the Zelda and Yoshi stages were cute, shame they couldn't come to the PC version for uh, obvious reasons.

I guess you can just Cemu them now though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

Yeah, Modern Sonic is just, above all else, So Weird, as has been said it's like nobody really has any idea what they're doing and they're just Trying Stuff and suddenly corporate shows up and decides that we're getting a game to mark an important anniversary so gently caress it ship it.

The thing is though, someone over there clearly has some sort of vision, because, I mean, look at Forces, just literally look at it (and listen). The game has a style and an aesthetic. That doesn't just Happen in video games, somebody thought it all the way through. The content was kind of a pile in the end but my point is that at least some part of the production had some idea what the hell they were trying to produce.

I think they have a solid process that they can use to create something consistent in style, aesthetic and so on, and obviously they're not incapable of having ideas, they're humans with functioning brains, but I don't think whoever's in charge has any real creative drive or passion. Someone came up with a half baked thought and they had to make something so they went "yeah, that'll do".

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The best thing about Colours is there isn't a checkerboard hill in sight. You're running through underwater pagodas, along rainbow roads and down a space elevator while it's being destroyed by a black hole.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think Sonic Team just really, really wants to work on things that aren’t Sonic. They seem to do alright when they’re working on Puyo Puyo and stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

lol jesus

I thought the Zelda and Yoshi stages were cute, shame they couldn't come to the PC version for uh, obvious reasons.

I guess you can just Cemu them now though.

I'm surprised there's no mods to restore them back into the PC version yet. They're some of the best stages in the game, especially the Zelda one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Make all sonic ip open source so every sonic thing ever made by anyone is official. Quality ratio would be worse? maybe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That loving Sned posted:

The best thing about Colours is there isn't a checkerboard hill in sight. You're running through underwater pagodas, along rainbow roads and down a space elevator while it's being destroyed by a black hole.

aquarium park was basically the dying gasp of sonic team's creativity

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It would be nice if Sonic team realised people would be cool with good short games and didn't constantly add extraneous padding to make bad long ones instead.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Augus posted:

aquarium park was basically the dying gasp of sonic team's creativity

aquarium park is so breathatkingly good its criminal it wasnt used in generations

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjtE4nPMN5g
jesus christ im getting nostalgic for games i wasnt even a kid for

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/agaitcheson/status/1309157251668676609?s=21

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
sonic trilogy speedrun ringswitch%

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

aquarium park is so breathatkingly good its criminal it wasnt used in generations

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjtE4nPMN5g
jesus christ im getting nostalgic for games i wasnt even a kid for

This but sea bottom segue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CR6kKsy_LA

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I feel like they had a good idea with the visual style of Lost World - even if you want to forget the galaxy style gravity wrapping, big pretty stages floating in air in distant abstract backgrounds so that huge levels can be easily drawn out without having to expend effort on the surrounds, and they can focus their effort on gameplay level design.

This was such a cool idea and take on the formula. Sonic but Mario Galaxy with long planets? Sign me the gently caress up.

Unfortunately I died repeatedly to simple 2D double-jumps up through late game while getting hit with quips from Looney Tunes villains. Sonic Colors had a double jump and that was fine, I don't get why they did whatever happened with the momentum.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think Sonic Team just really, really wants to work on things that aren’t Sonic. They seem to do alright when they’re working on Puyo Puyo and stuff.
It's years between each major game so I'm sure the overall staff changes. I see nothing but love and effort from the people making art and stages, only to see it miffed up by the people who make the game engines.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 24, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xad posted:

*Seriously you get sucked into a void and then immediately escape. Within the same cutscene almost!

These is cut dialogue and music for a level in the void in the game.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:psyboom:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

oh hell yeah

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm the guy who was asking if Forces is worth $10. Should I play Lost World instead? I never did. WiiU or PC?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm the guy who was asking if Forces is worth $10. Should I play Lost World instead? I never did. WiiU or PC?

Yes and Wii U just so you can play the great Zelda and Yoshi levels.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Has anyone messed with the mods for Generations on PC? People added a shitload of levels from other games, but I'm not sure if they're worth it, or even if they run well at all.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The unleashed project is definitely worth it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Has anyone messed with the mods for Generations on PC? People added a shitload of levels from other games, but I'm not sure if they're worth it, or even if they run well at all.

i never have but 99% of it looks reeeeeal bad. like lets give sonic team poo poo every now and then but making that kind of game well demands a titanic effort.

man i really gotta try that game at some point. this is insane

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i only know windy hill 1's song and well, i fuckin love it lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, they've literally ported every other 3d game into Generations except Lost World, it looks like. There's modes for Unleashed, 2006, and Heroes, at least.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heran Bago posted:

This was such a cool idea and take on the formula. Sonic but Mario Galaxy with long planets? Sign me the gently caress up.

Yeah, conceptually cylinder-worlds work really really well with the idea of sonic gameplay.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat, they've literally ported every other 3d game into Generations except Lost World, it looks like.

I'd imagine the issue is that Lost World's physics/level design is too different.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 25, 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Lost World isn’t a terrible game, it’s just not a great one. It has some moments that are really fun, but some parts are a slog and the difficulty is all over the place. It also doesn’t really feel much like a Sonic game gameplay-wise, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

One thing about Forces that not enough people mention is that there’s no momentum in the 3D stages, only set levels of speed that you shift between, since the game was built on a modified Lost World engine. As a result, it feels like someone just slammed the gas pedal all of a sudden when you’ve been moving forward for a certain amount of time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ArfJason posted:

man i really gotta try that game at some point. this is insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-2ufHb06Mc

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The big issue with Lost World is how stodgy the controls are. You can accelerate in a straight line, but the instant you twitch the stick even a degree to one side, Sonic slams to a halt, like he literally only picks up speed in a direct straight line. The jump doesn't have much height, the spindash moves you forward at a constant medium speed instead of having, you know, physics, and the parkour mechanics kind of snap you to the surface you're climbing, so they have no natural feel at all.

Some people managed to get on with it, but Lost World is one of my most despised games. It is the absolute antithesis of the natural, flowing physics of the classic games, or even the Adventure games. I ended the game still having no idea how the hell the parkour was meant to work, and the game's absolute refusal to unstick the controls was a game-long battle that drove me to madness and made me absolutely resent it.

Also, the the graphical style is nice, but there's no consistency to it at all. You go to a desert world and suddenly you're in an ice level. There is zero sense of progression outside the cutscenes, it's just one random level after another until the game ends.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

They released Sakura Wars not too long ago. I've heard the gameplay is pretty much 3D Sonic.

They're testing the waters for a sonic game that's 90% dating sim

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

They're testing the waters for a sonic game that's 90% dating sim

After becoming Sonic's best friend in Sonic Forces, your OC discovers that they can become... something more...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That new Sakura Wars game runs on the latest version of Hedgehog Engine, people have been sticking Forces maps into Sakura Wars and vice versa

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MikeJF posted:

After becoming Sonic's best friend in Sonic Forces, your OC discovers that they can become... something more...

Lookin for a bro to charge my 7 JO crystals with

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That new Sakura Wars game runs on the latest version of Hedgehog Engine, people have been sticking Forces maps into Sakura Wars and vice versa

Oh, weird. For whatever reason I had it in my head that it was Unreal 4.

Well I'm glad all that work on Hedgehog 2 wasn't a total waste, then.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That loving Sned posted:

Lookin for a bro to charge my 7 JO crystals with

https://i.imgur.com/ECPB7Ge.mp4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

so that's what Chaos Control does.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It was originally called Chaos Edging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yes. Once you install the mod manager loading up levels is easy enough to just try anything interesting, and a lot of it is at least good for one run.

Off the top of my head right before bed, The Unleashed Project is literally just the good parts of PS360 Unleashed, all of the Colors ports are good but might have some performance issues, Water Palace is loving beautiful, and Metal Harbor is Metal Harbor with some cool additions.

The Adventure Pack is kind of worth loading up just for a linear stage take on SA1 Mystic Ruins even if it isn't actually great, Eggmanland is loving horrible in a way that feels authentic, and Rainbow Road is just hilariously ill suited for Modern Sonic. None of these are GOOD, really, but they're interesting.