Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

I'm just gonna say it. The "SEGAAA" choir sucks. It's loud and obnoxious.

What the gently caress dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

I'm just gonna say it. The "SEGAAA" choir sucks. It's loud and obnoxious. First thing I do after booting up those Sonic games is turn down the volume. Not worth the cartridge space in any of the Genesis titles. The wow factor only existed for people who knew enough about video games to recognize a voice clip is uncommon. The two-note Master System one is less intrusive. Just give me the modern *woosh*"sega." or even the strange eyeball with an off-key note.

Source your quotes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They should bring back the screaming guy from 3D Blast.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bring back Segata Sanshiro you cowards.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/GigiDutreix/status/1364286423076016129

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What would the green things around his ankles be then?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Power limiters

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwH1zbJ_lvM

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That is what Sonic characters' feet look like and I went to go look for the official pic of Sonic and Amy where their feet are showing and I used google and :lol: how the gently caress else did I think that was gonna end?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

as a joke ha ha

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this of course lends further weight to the power limiter theory

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they are Lego bricks

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Knuckles bolted the shoes onto his feet in an act of penance for failing to guard the Master Emerald from The Eggs Man.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Screaming Idiot posted:

Knuckles bolted the shoes onto his feet in an act of penance for failing to guard the Master Emerald from The Eggs Man.

Hey that only happened like 9 times.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

You think the feet are hosed up? There's some nightmare poo poo occurring under those gloves.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Royal Updog posted:

You think the feet are hosed up? There's some nightmare poo poo occurring under those gloves.

He clearly only has two huge knuckles which can only mean that he only has two huge girthy fingers inside those gloves.

Looks like he has the same number of toes so this must be canon.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Royal Updog posted:

that's just what echidnas are like irl

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Procrastine posted:

I remember liking this one in 2011 when it was made (jesus christ that was almost 10 years ago). There's another one on the archive I guess? Never watched that one. Otherwise, if you're willing to wait a bit, raocow has been playing through every (no seriously, every) official sonic game in order for the past year and a half(?) and is about to reach Shadow, once he gets past poo poo like the official tie-in Flash games for Sonic X with graphics that look like MSPaint.

I'm keeping the JordanKai one on in the background while doing a bunch of spreadsheet busywork and I would recommend so far. Thanks for the suggestions!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You know I think Lost World and Forces would've really benefitted from the kind of score-based ranking system that Colors had. All of them have a very similar level design philosophy, where there's a fast, easy, and obvious path straight though the level, and then a bunch of more challenging side paths and secrets that reward you with rings and other prizes. But there's nothing to incentivize taking those risks outside of Colors, besides getting the Red Rings (which you'll only ever do once). The ranking system in Colors was set up so that S Ranks couldn't be gained just from taking the fastest route through the level, you needed to rack up points wherever you could by collecting rings, destroying enemies, and even recollecting those red rings. You needed to strike a balance between going fast and exploring the level. It wasn't perfect, there were levels where players could just stall for several minutes in the Drill Wisp form to get a lot of points, but it gave an otherwise short game some longevity and gave a purpose to the level design.

Lost World is especially bad about this. Levels will have multiple routes filled with enemies, different traps, wall-running segments and dangerous platforming that rewards you with rings, red rings and animal capsules, and then one route that is just a chain of speedboosters that just fast forwards you to the end of the segment. The game is blatantly designed as a score attack game, you're supposed to take the risky path to get those prizes and rack up points. But when you're playing through a level your score is hidden unless the game is paused, it isn't even shown on the gamepad. And the score it does show you is just a collective pool of all the points you've gotten on that file, which quickly becomes a number so big it becomes completely meaningless. The game doesn't keep track of your best score for an individual stage. The only thing the game does track and rank you on is your best times in the time attack mode, in a game where the fastest path is the path of least resistance. So there's no incentive to engage with most of the level design in the game outside of the one time you'll go through with a walkthrough to get the red rings.

Forces brings back the score-based ranking system but makes it really easy to get an S Rank by just sprinting through the stage normally, and just in case that is still too interesting for you it also adds in those dumb daily missions that give you an insanely broken score multiplier so you don't even really need to be paying attention to get an S Rank.

I assume that at some point between Colors and Generations someone at Sonic Team saw a tweet that said "it sucks when I thought I did well on a stage and then the game gives me a C Rank" and got all self-conscious.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Gens rankings were a joke but I thought most of the Lost World S ranks had decently tight time requirements. I do agree that it could have used a score attack mode too though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Royal Updog posted:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Penders never fails to live down to my expectations

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
If I remember right, Knuckles' knuckles are not a normal thing amongst Echidna kind. Any other Echidnas that had spikes on their gloves had them built into the glove.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Macaluso posted:

If I remember right, Knuckles' knuckles are not a normal thing amongst Echidna kind. Any other Echidnas that had spikes on their gloves had them built into the glove.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It would have been much more fun to just allude to removing gloves/shoes and never depict their hands/feet by hiding them in silly ways. But alas,

Royal Updog posted:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macaluso posted:

this is correct. when baby egg knuckles got microwaved by his dad, knuckles having knuckles was proof that dad was successful in turning his son into a super mutant

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spiderdrake posted:

It is time for you to battle... the Hardcore Sonic Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUAeIMpIJo

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/JuniperTheory/status/1361407809368252419?s=20

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
OK, if nothing else 'Speeding Bullet' is an amazing name.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Time for a play by post?! With an obnoxious number of players

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems Coleen might be staying on as Tails after all (for the games at least):

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1365366520394641411

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Instead of a new cast they should rotated roles. Give me Pollock as Sonic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This is incredible from start to finish.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pants Donkey posted:

Instead of a new cast they should rotated roles. Give me Pollock as Sonic.

They kinda did that with Transformers David Kaye both voices Optimus Prime in Transformers Animated and a BUNCH of Megatron in previous series.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Looks like Prime will indeed have a Canadian cast.

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1365489745132802053?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Looks like Prime will indeed have a Canadian cast.

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1365489745132802053?s=20

Makes sense, I wonder if that means Gary Chalk (Grounder in AoSTH, Robotnik in Underground) will wind up returning to the franchise then

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

It’s always possible she’s only staying on for the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s always possible she’s only staying on for the movie.

True, but we’ll see I guess (so far only Sonic and Amy’s VAs have straight up confirmed they’re leaving and we know Mike’s staying on for the games at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larryb posted:

Makes sense, I wonder if that means Gary Chalk (Grounder in AoSTH, Robotnik in Underground) will wind up returning to the franchise then

Oh god please let Grounder come back

And for some reason he is best friends with Gutsman