Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Macaluso posted:

Sonic kissing himself makes plenty of sense when you think about it

In the same line of thinking that went into the awful "Adventures of" cartoon, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

In the same line of thinking that went into the awful "Adventures of" cartoon, I guess

i think you mean sonic underground, both in terms of awfulness and sonic probably kissing himself.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

El Mido posted:

i think you mean sonic underground, both in terms of awfulness and sonic probably kissing himself.

Couldn't have been Adventures Of at any rate, that show was the absolute tits.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I finally beat Generations last night and you guys weren't kidding with that last boss. Thankfully it wasn't too bad once I knew what the gently caress to do. I enjoyed the modern sections way more than classic surprisingly since the classic physics felt a bit off to me. I'm kinda disappointed they're bringing classic Sonic back now.

Does installing the Unleashed Project mod delete my normal save?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I enjoyed the modern sections way more than classic surprisingly since the classic physics felt a bit off to me. I'm kinda disappointed they're bringing classic Sonic back now.

I was under the impression that the Sonic Mania physics is exactly the classic physics, which is one reason I'm so excited about it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

VikingofRock posted:

I was under the impression that the Sonic Mania physics is exactly the classic physics, which is one reason I'm so excited about it.

He's talking about Generations, not Sonic Mania.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I have a theory that the Generations classic Sonic physics are designed to match up with what someone who liked the old games as a child but hasn't really played them since and was never very good at them would remember them being like, which is kind of clever if it's what they were actually going for.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

launch base zone looks good

theres a big lack of and unexplained pyramids

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does installing the Unleashed Project mod delete my normal save?

No, it uses its own independent save file separate from your standard generations save

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm not entirely sure how I found this, but:

Is sonic an accelerationist or a primitivst

the longest comment chain on alternet ever, spanning 50,000 comments between a whole 6 people (10% of their non-Salon readership) before being destroyed by the admin

I need to find this comment chain. I have strong opinions about this question.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 10, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wateyad posted:

I have a theory that the Generations classic Sonic physics are designed to match up with what someone who liked the old games as a child but hasn't really played them since and was never very good at them would remember them being like, which is kind of clever if it's what they were actually going for.

My theory is that they made Classic Sonic suck on purpose in order to make Modern Sonic seem better in comparison

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My theory is that they're just bad at it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The level design for Generations Classic Sonic is pretty much the same as the level design for Unleashed's 2D sections. It doesn't really come close to the Genesis games at all. It's flat, you mostly just switch routes at pre-determined points, you still bonk on chains of enemies except without a homing attack now, the spin-dash automatically propels you at boost speeds, rolling without a spin-dash is useless, the jump is low and heavy just like Unleashed Sonic.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think both the genesis style of classic sonic AND the generations style of classic sonic are good

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, there's no way they can gently caress this up, right? This is almost too good to be true.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Is there an actual finished, good, 2d Sonic mod/hack whatever worth playing? That Super Bunnyhop video made it interesting, but nothing I've googled up is actually done.

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'm playing Sonic CD off steam and I feel like I'm missing why people rave so much about this game.
I'm playing through most of the Sonic bundle off humble bundle and I had sort of the same feel to Sonic CD until I realized it's just... Not a very good "Sonic" game. But then, it was made right after Sonic 1, so it was before the series had really gelled as it did in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. It's Sonic in another, good in a different way, game. Once you realize it's about exploring and being chill, and start traveling through time, it gets a ton better.

Also the bosses are real bad and oh well.

Having just finished S3&K something like 2 and a half times I can confirm it is best though. I'm going to be in love with Hydrocity for the rest of my life, I think.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

Is there an actual finished, good, 2d Sonic mod/hack whatever worth playing?

Not a hack but Sonic: After the Sequel was pretty good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dresh posted:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/08/the-sonic-sunday-strips-have-been-found/

The most important cultural find since The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Not a hack but Sonic: After the Sequel was pretty good.

Before the Sequel is older and rougher around the edges but it's still very, very good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A demo for another kickstarted not-Sonic game was released today: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bw7vgPrOLeTHNkZPU1hWVmIxMEU&export=download
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7GKpRNDmY

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This will get me some flak for saying this but I think it's totally fair at this point to call games like these more like Freedom Planet than Sonic. Not joking. Sonic never had all these melee attacks, ranged attacks massively different character switches and mobility options and seems to be more combat focused, 2D Sonic just runs fast, rolls and jumps. I think Freedom Planet is its own distinct genre at this point. I need to play it one of these days.

One wonders how many more Sonic/Freedom Planet clones will start popping up if Sonic Mania is a huge success?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

99% sure that's the same creator as the Before/After sequel, meaning poor design decisions will abound.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

This will get me some flak for saying this but I think it's totally fair at this point to call games like these more like Freedom Planet than Sonic. Not joking. Sonic never had all these melee attacks, ranged attacks massively different character switches and mobility options and seems to be more combat focused, 2D Sonic just runs fast, rolls and jumps. I think Freedom Planet is its own distinct genre at this point. I need to play it one of these days.

One wonders how many more Sonic/Freedom Planet clones will start popping up if Sonic Mania is a huge success?

Freedom Planet is less a Sonic clone and more a mash-up of various SEGA classics that includes Sonic. It's an action-platform rather than a straight up platformer

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm playing through most of the Sonic bundle off humble bundle and I had sort of the same feel to Sonic CD until I realized it's just... Not a very good "Sonic" game. But then, it was made right after Sonic 1, so it was before the series had really gelled as it did in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. It's Sonic in another, good in a different way, game. Once you realize it's about exploring and being chill, and start traveling through time, it gets a ton better.

Also the bosses are real bad and oh well.

Yeah, having finished it now I still don't think it'd be something I'll replay often, but it did grow on me a little bit.

I like the concepts of the bosses, stuff like the treadmill boss where you kill it by going fast is a great idea, just not really amazingly implemented.

The final boss is just really, really, really underwhelming and poor.

Anyway, next on my list of unplayed Sonic games is..... :sigh: Sonic 4. I think I'm in for a downhill ride.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I have made a tremendous mistake.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I have made a tremendous mistake.

Go play that sega mariokart clone instead, its actually pretty good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I love how weird CD's bosses are, how each one is a gimmick except for the (awful, yes) final boss which is a straight up fight. I wouldn't want all Sonic bosses to be like that, it only works because there's a standard to twist in the first place, but it's a neat way the game sets itself apart from the others.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I really like the race against metal sonic in Sonic CD, but yeah it could probably have been implemented better. I recently replayed the game and it was the only boss I remembered from when I was a kid.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay, there's no way they can gently caress this up, right? This is almost too good to be true.

The Sonic Cycle begins anew :unsmigghh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

i think you're totally right and it's why i never got into freedom planet much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the things that was proposed for the remake of CD was a Secret Ending final boss after you got all the Time Stones that apparently would've involved fighting back and forth in time. Sega didn't approve it since it was the first remake and they hadn't proven themselves yet. You can unlock the concept art of it (and their planned extra desert level) though.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
#19 The Glacier's Peak - jmr
Sonic Advance - Ice Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7VVxXucWY

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

99% sure that's the same creator as the Before/After sequel, meaning poor design decisions will abound.

Yes, it is. You can tell (if you've played AtS) because in one level Sonic randomly gets the Beam powerup from Kirby and that's the jester hat that goes with the powerup. In fact I'm pretty sure he just edited his existing jester sonic sprites to get this guy.

LakeFeperd really likes Kirby games, as you can tell by all of the powerups in the trailer being literally Kirby copy abilities.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

One of the things that was proposed for the remake of CD was a Secret Ending final boss after you got all the Time Stones that apparently would've involved fighting back and forth in time. Sega didn't approve it since it was the first remake and they hadn't proven themselves yet. You can unlock the concept art of it (and their planned extra desert level) though.

Oh yeah, I recall that. Was a really neat idea in concept at least. Makes me wonder what he'd do with the time travel gimmick it it ever came back for a 'CD 2' game. I should probably wait and see how Mania goes first though.

Considering the obscure references in Mania, I'm wondering what R-9 is a throwback to.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Pretty sure that character appeared in Before/After the Sequel.

He looks sorta like a grown up Ristar with Kirby's Beam hat on.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Yes, it is. You can tell (if you've played AtS) because in one level Sonic randomly gets the Beam powerup from Kirby and that's the jester hat that goes with the powerup. In fact I'm pretty sure he just edited his existing jester sonic sprites to get this guy.

LakeFeperd really likes Kirby games, as you can tell by all of the powerups in the trailer being literally Kirby copy abilities.

I wasn't really sold until I saw the 'Edgy' powerup which gives Spark a Shadow makeover.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Paused posted:

Oh yeah, I recall that. Was a really neat idea in concept at least. Makes me wonder what he'd do with the time travel gimmick it it ever came back for a 'CD 2' game. I should probably wait and see how Mania goes first though.

Considering the obscure references in Mania, I'm wondering what R-9 is a throwback to.

The level files in Sonic CD were originally stored in folders labeled R1-R8, with R2 being excluded (the cut desert level you can see in the PC version's loading screen). Final Fever in this case then would be "R9."

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

beep by grandpa posted:

I think they're aiming less for Sonic gameplay and more for Sonic physics, which are a rare sight in platformers. The rest is more akin to Sega action-platformers like Gunstar Heroes.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Chibs posted:

The level files in Sonic CD were originally stored in folders labeled R1-R8, with R2 being excluded (the cut desert level you can see in the PC version's loading screen). Final Fever in this case then would be "R9."

Ah ha! I was kinda thinking along these lines, with R standing for Rounds or something, but of course that tidbit about the desert level threw me off. Thanks for the triva! Definitely fulfills my criteria for cool little easter egg I'm starting to expect from the guy.

I was somewhat aware of that 'missing' desert stage, but my Beta knowledge is the best. Sonic 2 had a cut desert stage, a long with the others too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

#19 The Glacier's Peak - jmr
Sonic Advance - Ice Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7VVxXucWY

Still a big favorite of mine from ocremix. The source tune is just so gorgeous too I always loved Ice Mountain in Sonic Advance. :kiddo: