Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Try CD as well, people are split on it but it has its moments. Maybe after 1-3 though. The real defining feature of the classic games is inertia, not speed. Maintaining your flow to bounce smoothly through the levels is the name of the game.

Also I'm really interested to see how someone reacts to the old games when they're going in fresh.

I've been playing the classic games for the first time (except a bit of 2 when I was a kid) and so far I've found CD the easiest to get into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Try CD as well, people are split on it but it has its moments. Maybe after 1-3 though. The real defining feature of the classic games is inertia, not speed. Maintaining your flow to bounce smoothly through the levels is the name of the game.

Also I'm really interested to see how someone reacts to the old games when they're going in fresh.

I like Sonic CD a lot but it's the Majora's Mask of Sonic games. Some people really love it, some loving hate it. I will admit it's a flawed game but I just hope people go into it with an open mind. Like it or not, it's an important part of the Sonic Genesis Quadrilogy.

I think the reason why Sonic CD gets so much hate is because most people didn't have a Sega CD and thus never played it, while those who did tend to hype it up a lot. Then someone plays it years later and then it doesn't live up to the hype and they get mad. It's the Firefly \ Breaking Bad \ whatever effect.

Sonic CD is my 2nd favorite Sonic game after Sonic 3&K but Mania might have knocked it down to third.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lessail posted:

Both acts are my favorites of the new level music

The first act's music sounds like something from the PSX Mega Man X games to me. Not complaining.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A lot of reviews say Mania is basically the "lost" Saturn game. Would Mania be able to run on Saturn hardware? It wouldn't be widescreen.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

A lot of reviews say Mania is basically the "lost" Saturn game. Would Mania be able to run on Saturn hardware? It wouldn't be widescreen.

Probably not, but it's designed to look like it would. All polygons in the game are kinda jaggy on purpose and if you look at the Eggman building in the Metal Sonic fight, individual polygons kind of appear and disappear like it probably would have on the Saturn.

On a discord I go to a guy told me he was going to try and port the game to Saturn but I'm pretty drat skeptical of that. That said, fans are actually working on finishing Sonic X-Treme and it runs on real Saturn hardware so you never know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

that's a good way of looking at it. it certainly should've been Sonic 4.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Probably not, but it's designed to look like it would. All polygons in the game are kinda jaggy on purpose and if you look at the Eggman building in the Metal Sonic fight, individual polygons kind of appear and disappear like it probably would have on the Saturn.

On a discord I go to a guy told me he was going to try and port the game to Saturn but I'm pretty drat skeptical of that. That said, fans are actually working on finishing Sonic X-Treme and it runs on real Saturn hardware so you never know.

I totally expected someone to try that.

Now, this is entirely easier but still cool. Someone got the Sonic Mania animated intro running on actual Genesis hardware.
https://www.destructoid.com/sonic-mania-intro-running-on-stock-sega-genesis-hardware-455510.phtml

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's a good way of looking at it. it certainly should've been Sonic 4.

I mean, that's what it's literally meant to be, the long lost Sonic 4 for Sega Saturn. It's purposefully designed to look like a game that would have been on the Saturn, has Saturn controllers in the menus, I think the Japanese version has Sega Saturn box art for it... I mean, it wouldn't have had widescreen and it would probably require the Saturn RAM expansion cart but I could totally see it on that system.

The Sega Saturn is like the most underrated console in history in my book and has a ton of games that are still fun today. It's just a shame that it never got a proper Sonic game, except now it does... kinda?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i meant instead of that 2.5D abomination they made.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
sonic mania is basically an idealised version of a 32-bit 2D sonic game, complete with widescreen and 60FPS, like how shovel knight is an idealised version of an 8-bit platformer. i guess you could think of it as the polished port of a saturn game that never was

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You could probably run it on a Saturn, albeit with the resolution of that time and plenty of framerate drops like in the old Genesis games when poo poo gets busy. If I recall, the Saturn was pretty good at handling sprite.

What Mania did was good, however. Like Shovel Knight, it's just trying to capture that era of graphics while adhering to the technical standards of today (widescreen, consistent framerate, etc.). I remember hating all the slow down in S3&K in the Sonic gems collection.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
My brother is on TMZ and is experiencing massive nostalgia-gasms from the enemies/little things he recognises from Sonic CD and other genesis games (encyclopedic knowledge of pre-Dreamcast sonic games). All the bitterness over the PC delay was washed away when he sat down on the couch and played the ps4 version. I literally haven't seen him this happy playing a video game in decades.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 19, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Finished getting all the gold medals, and started a Knux file and got all the Emewoldz by the end of Press Garden Act 1 so I'm pretty pleased with myself.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Is there any tips to fighting the bosses for Hydrocity Act 2 and Titanic Monarch Act 1 as Knuckles without going Super? Like, I can beat them sure, but it feels almost impossible to fight them without constantly tanking hits or turning invincible.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, you basically need to plan ahead and leave a formation that can't be turned into rings for last. Some levels make it really tricky to get a perfect. There's one level thats like a 1 wide hallway with a lot of turns and two rings to the left of the last orb, and it's not like you can just jump the orb to get the rings. I'm guessing you need to turn around at the start or something.

I did find an odd exception though:

More blue spheres than I need

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Shameful, refunding my steam game, uninstalling my PS4 game.

Also, has anyone seen the Staff Credits and noticed how insanely padded it is?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I assume not, since I'm pretty sure Sonic and Tails had the same level layouts in the original Genesis games, whereas Knuckles had modified levels to accommodate his lower jump height emphasize exploration.

Marble Garden has one or two paths only Tails can take and not Knuckles, and the elevator at the beginning of Launch Base 1 takes Tails to a completely different area than Sonic or Knuckles. Eggman invented a Tails-sensitive elevator.

Those are the only differences I know of for Tails, I THINK there's maybe an extra life only accessible to Tails in one of the S&K stages too maybe, but that's it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I've seen a couple of these, but only in Mania stages so far.

School Nickname posted:

Shameful, refunding my steam game, uninstalling my PS4 game.

I think it's just because it's literally 3 game studio's worth of credits tacked together, going by the fact that I saw multiple "IT" teams scroll by.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

IT guy Tyrone is the best Sonic Mania dev.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the special stages are bullshit though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also the boss of oil ocean 2 is legit broken and awful. otherwise, sonic mania is great! its great and i love it!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
One thing led to another and now I've got this stuck in my head so thanks thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUZZXGbipc

corn in the bible posted:

also the boss of oil ocean 2 is legit broken and awful. otherwise, sonic mania is great! its great and i love it!

I cussed that one out a bit but got a 2 cycle kill on my third try so I'll cut him some slack

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

now we just need chaotix mania

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oil Ocean's boss seemed pretty easy though?

Just jump in the oil and bum rush him once you know where he's surfacing from

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oil Ocean's boss seemed pretty easy though?

Just jump in the oil and bum rush him once you know where he's surfacing from

If you land on the platforms as it pulls them down, you can get an instant game over by falling through the floor. It's annoying.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most of the bosses gently caress you over on rings if you get hit. I kinda think them as only having two hits.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only bug I've noticed is in Green Hill Act 2, you can immediately go up and to the left and you'll see some lovely cutoff with spikes placed on nothing. The camera does fix it if you go all the way to the left but it looks a bit jank.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I cussed my brother out doing it on his second try, no insta-kills since he stayed in the oil when he wasn't on the edge platforms. I think you have to take your time on it and kill the supporting tentacles on the oil first. Literally do a dark souls on it and one-two hit, then retreat. Don't go near a platform with tentacles on it. He spin-dash jumped the main boss structure when he was too far away if he thought he could get away with it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So it turns out PS4 players have online play. Just got done playing a friend in competition mode and some co-op single player stuff. Shame that it couldn't be more official though :v:

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I just had the most relaxing playthrough with Tails & Knuckles. Just these two pals flying through the sky and exploring. The earlier zones were better for this, but I didn't have to really turn my brain back on until the latter half of OOZ. It was so nice to finally get a good look at all the constellations in Stardust Speedway. Forcing my ring count below 50 to keep from going super sucked a lot, though

I want more levels. Time attack isn't my cup of tea, and gently caress blue spheres :(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TenWren posted:

Forcing my ring count below 50 to keep from going super sucked a lot, though

The biggest thing I miss from S3&K is checkpoint minigames that give you the opportunity to get a shield for exactly that reason. "Whoops, okay, no big, just checkpoint in to cancel, shield so it doesn't happen again, done."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

School Nickname posted:

I like it it's basically 30 seconds of people who worked on the game and like 5 minutes of everyone at Sega who breathed near someone who saw it once.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well, it's not the first time

BENELUX

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 19, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The biggest thing I miss from S3&K is checkpoint minigames that give you the opportunity to get a shield for exactly that reason. "Whoops, okay, no big, just checkpoint in to cancel, shield so it doesn't happen again, done."

Considering the way the Tails buddy system works was borrowed from Sonic 3C, it would've been nice if they had also borrowed two-button super form activation from that too.

Now I'm excited for the PC release because even the tiniest, smallest mods will literally make this a perfect game

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Sonic Mania is good, but before Sega gets those guys started on Mania 2 or whatever...

Sonic 1 & 2 remasters on things with actual buttons please. And S3K while you're at it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm, so i noticed if you try a special stage ring, but get a game over and have to retart the whole stage, the ring remains used up.

I take it that means you've only got a limited number of tries to get all of the chaos emeralds in a single save file?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kin posted:

Hmm, so i noticed if you try a special stage ring, but get a game over and have to retart the whole stage, the ring remains used up.

I take it that means you've only got a limited number of tries to get all of the chaos emeralds in a single save file?

No, you can revisit any giant ring an arbitrary number of times after you clear the save file. After you beat the final boss you can Exit and rerun the GHZ1 ring as much as you want. It worked the same way in S3&K. It's just to prevent you from cheesing to get all the emeralds first thing. Was this necessary? Debatable, but it's what they did.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just played a few rounds of competition with another friend who has a infamously lovely internet connection and it was actually hilarious. His button pushes were so delayed so he time overed in Studiopolis after I finished, just fumbling around trying to get out of a pit for a full minute.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Keiya posted:

Sonic Mania is good, but before Sega gets those guys started on Mania 2 or whatever...

Sonic 1 & 2 remasters on things with actual buttons please. And S3K while you're at it.

They're available on popular TV piracy box, Amazon Fire TV/Stick. Just pair a Bluetooth controller such as the Xbox One S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I really want to like this game but it can be so frustrating to build up speed and collide with some bullshit enemy you had no hope of seeing.