Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hm, they've got a slowed down Sonic CD Robotnik laugh going at the end of that gameplay trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

The Egg Dragoon in Unleashed.

Which probably doesn't count because that was actually a Werehog boss.

how about the egg dragoon in generations then. i played the poo poo out of that boss fight

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

They figured out how to make Sonic Adventure style gameplay work.

they already did this in Sonic Adventure 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just have Ian Flynn write the whole series

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sharrrk posted:

they already did this in Sonic Adventure 2

no they didn't

3d sonic was never good until unleashed and 2d sonic was never good until it went widescreen

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I'm so excited to go fast you guys

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmXmyKtZOM

That missed red ring makes me so angry.

I'm liking the look of the new Egg Pawn/Egg Robo equivalents.

drat the song for this level rules. glad they're getting the guy who did the music for sonic runners back for this, his work deserved better than a canned mobile game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Idiot Knuckles is cool and good

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Knuckles from Adventure onwards was boring as all hell; he sounded calm and chilled out pretty much constantly, so he was pretty much a total nonentity. Sonic X, Battle and the Mega Drive comic got the Knuckles I wanted so much better - not stupid, but has serious anger management issues which cause him to make mistakes, like not taking the time to think that someone might be lying through their teeth to him.

Boom did a great job with his design and I'd much rather see that used in the main series, but a bit more angular, Fang the Sniper-style, and a bit more Werehog-like in his stance to go with an angrier personality.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can't stand his Boom design to be honest. He looks simultaneously stretched out and somehow stuffed into a giant muscle suit to the point his head looks like it doesn't belong on his body. His dreads have gone from looking passable as quills to floppy tumors.

Honestly, the only Boom designs I think are successful at what they're trying to do are... well it's pretty much just Tails. Eggman would be good except he's not fat anymore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Since nobody posted this in the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYt3BjIfbQ

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I hope the Egg Prison miniboss is back.

And he has like. Chainsaws or something.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

beep by grandpa posted:

I want edgy sonic if it's adorable 2000s edgy. How can you not enjoy Shadow the Hedgehog's intro?

Anyway who cares, if it's Generations 2 and they do a little more to improve the mechanics and make it longer and the soundtrack owns what more do toy want?

The bar is set pretty low for bosses too. Have there even been any mechanically good 3D era bosses?

Generations Perfect Chaos.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Generations Perfect Chaos.

Does anyone but me get pissed when Open Your Heart stops playing and some generic Hollywood orchestral trash takes over in its place?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

beep by grandpa posted:

Does anyone but me get pissed when Open Your Heart stops playing.

Yes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I will not abide anything being bad said about Perfect Chaos Phase 2 in this house.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Does anyone but me get pissed when Open Your Heart stops playing and some generic Hollywood orchestral trash takes over in its place?

tbf it did the same thing in sonic adventure but it was a mistake then too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Augus posted:

Since nobody posted this in the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYt3BjIfbQ

This is awesome, the music is awesome, and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

beep by grandpa posted:

Open Your Heart and Live & Learn are two of my guilty pleasures. Yes, this also bothers me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Open Your Heart and Live & Learn are two of my guilty pleasures. Yes, this also bothers me.

It should do, awesome music is nothing to be ashamed of. Me and a couple of friends were singing both at full volume during new year's eve.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

The bar is set pretty low for bosses too. Have there even been any mechanically good 3D era bosses?

I thought the bosses in Generations were pretty decent, even if they were also pretty buggy. Except the final boss, that guy can gently caress off.
E-101 mk 2 was a solid boss, though that wasn't actual using Sonic's playstyle. Same with Egg Dragoon in Unleashed.
Biolizard I thought was cool. Awesome aesthetics aside, it provides a bit of an interesting situation where you need to control your speed running away from the boss, going fast enough to run away from his head but not too fast that you run into the tail, and dodging the different patterns of shadow orbs. It even escalates in difficulty a bit, as he becomes more aggressive in chasing you and the orbs come out in faster and more varied patterns. The camera is still kinda poo poo (making it way too easy to fall into the moat that segments the platform you're on) and the homing attack tends to gently caress up when it comes to hitting the red bits he sends out near the end, and the last hit you land being basically a freebie is weird, but it's a decently fun and memorable fight.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

silhouettes of the other Hard Boiled Heavies.

one seems to be a ninja.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

One with a mace there too, looks like.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

One in the middle is flipping everyone off.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

silhouettes of the other Hard Boiled Heavies.

one seems to be a ninja.

Oh no didn't they do the same marketing thing for Lost World :ohdear:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure what you're trying to indicate there. A similar reveal roll out for some bosses doesn't really mean they'll be anything like the Deadly Six.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

Boom!Amy is just as defined by her crush on Sonic as normal Amy. All Boom added was a token effort at making her more of what writers think a "strong female character" is while simultaneously making fun of her for it and for liking things like fanfiction.

Archie's under Ian Flynn remains the best version of the character.

Best version of Amy is actually from Fleetway Sonic, who only pretended to have a crush on Sonic to troll him (Sonic was kind of an rear end in a top hat in Sonic the Comic), was arguably the wisest of the group and had a crossbow. She went and had her own adventures with Tekno the Canary.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Well Unleashed started with Eggbotnik blowing up the world and actually beating Super Sonic so

And then Chip straddled an ice cream cone.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Boom!Amy is just as defined by her crush on Sonic as normal Amy. All Boom added was a token effort at making her more of what writers think a "strong female character" is while simultaneously making fun of her for it and for liking things like fanfiction.

Whaaaat, no she isn't

Like ok, I've actually only watched like three eps in full but I've seen quite a bit of the games as well and in none of it does Amy display her obvious obnoxious crush she usually has in the main continuity.

Also best Amy is SA1 Amy.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

When I was a kid it was obvious that Sonic and Sally Acorn should get together because Sally was awesome and competent and confident and a badass, whereas Amy just had goo goo eyes for Sonic and not much else going on. I haven't really followed the Sonic continuity since then, so (a) is Sally still :krad:, and (b) did she and Sonic ever get together?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Holy poo poo that Sonic Forces preview looks AMAZING! That Sonic Mania reveal looks great as well! What a great year for Sonic, why are people hating?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

When I was a kid it was obvious that Sonic and Sally Acorn should get together because Sally was awesome and competent and confident and a badass, whereas Amy just had goo goo eyes for Sonic and not much else going on. I haven't really followed the Sonic continuity since then, so (a) is Sally still :krad:, and (b) did she and Sonic ever get together?

They got married, and then divorced (and this is the part of the comic where it really strayed into absolutely ridiculous unfitting relationship drama for an ostensibly children's comic and there was the amazing cover of Sonic crying in a corner). And in another continuity they had kids, even. Nowadays they're just teammates because the world's been rebooted a couple times since then.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I just knew immediately after reading VikingofRocks question that cover was going to be posted.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wasn't Sally temporarily pink at one point, or am I imagining things?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wasn't Sally temporarily pink at one point, or am I imagining things?

Yeah, for the first year or so she was pink with black hair and in the very first comic she was blonde.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sonic Forces looks dumb and bad like all modern sonic, but flying battery zone looks neat. I would have picked Lava Reef but what can you do!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I remember the comic got rebooted because Sega was like :wtf: at crying Sonic but I think it's interesting characters like Sally, Rotor, Antoine etc are still able to be in the story. I wonder if Sega just considerd them established enough to stick around?

RIP Scourge though. Too good for this world

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bringing up the comic reminded me of how Ian Flynn used to post here. I miss him. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VJeff posted:

Bringing up the comic reminded me of how Ian Flynn used to post here. I miss him. :(

People poo poo on him basically nonstop so I'm not particularly surprised he left.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sonic and Sally were never married. They hooked up for a while and then split up. Them being married was an alternate future thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well ok, but can you blame me for being confused