Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sonic Frontier is looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, are there any decent fanmade 3D Sonic games out there besides Robo Blast 2?

Sonic P-06 is a fan remake and not a brand new game but it is very good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ok but when will there be a sonic underground fan game

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

that requires it to have fans first

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m still waiting to hear back from Sega but I’m hopeful

https://twitter.com/gayanimedad/status/1552181671801356288?s=21&t=JU8p-6dJ-6szXmVVZ7MSsw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

Sonic P-06 is a fan remake and not a brand new game but it is very good.

Oh did that get finished? Last I’d heard about it I assumed they were still working on it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

What’s Fallen Star out of curiosity?

Sonic and the Fallen Star plays a lot like those Before / After the Sequal games, has a more unique sprite style. Pretty good all in.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

...I'm starting to think repeated exposure to the Sonic X anime might have had some kind of detrimental effect on developing minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXxIVb4Pixk

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I have not personally played it but I have heard good things about Big's Big World

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Oh did that get finished? Last I’d heard about it I assumed they were still working on it

it's not completely finished but the current demo has all of Sonic and Shadow's action stages

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 11, 2022

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, are there any decent fanmade 3D Sonic games out there besides Robo Blast 2?

Yes. Sonic GT

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)

Larryb posted:

I'm a fan of Sonic World, although it's a little tricky to get the controls working, and I've run into some bugs. It's a lot of fun though, and even though the stages are from old games, the level design is usually quite a bit different, and there are also custom levels.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Larryb posted:

VR chat

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Finally got around to playing Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit.

It was fun. Managed to get all the emeralds on my first run, due to the retry mechanic - and even found the secret level (assuming there isn't more than one).

I've never played or even watched the original, so I was genuinely surprised when the game revealed why Knuckles has been fighting you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

Finally got around to playing Sonic Triple Trouble 16-Bit.

It was fun. Managed to get all the emeralds on my first run, due to the retry mechanic - and even found the secret level (assuming there isn't more than one).

I've never played or even watched the original, so I was genuinely surprised when the game revealed why Knuckles has been fighting you.

I've played the original so little that I don't really remember much about it. But yeah, there was a moment where I went "wait, this remake deliberately set it after S3&K, why is knuckles fighting us?"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

obviously dr.robotnik tricked him

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh hey Sonic Omens released and it's even trending I wanna see what's hap-pe-ning here...

https://twitter.com/PersonthePerso2/status/1557562091816583168

https://twitter.com/SNick_WT/status/1557487380403294208

Oh nooooo....

hire fans lol

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Zone

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The gameplay in Sonic Omens is kinda fun, in a heavily flawed modern 3D Sonic kinda way. I'd rather play it than Secret Rings, Black Knight, Heroes, Shadow or Forces, and it has some great ideas and moments of inspiration sprinkled throughout (along with some ideas that didn't pan out but they couldn't bring themselves to cut, of course).

The plot and its presentation is the exact right mix of effort and talent combined with a total lack of filter and wildly out-of-place tonal shifts that makes things hilarious rather than unbearable. I'd never call it good, but you can tell they're trying their hardest at executing these terrible ideas and the result is frequently entertaining, if rarely for the reasons it wants to be.

It's a whole bunch of goofy, buggy nonsense with occasional moments of great gameplay and a lot of baffling decisions for a game starring a blue hedgehog. They definitely captured 3D Sonic.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sethsez posted:

The plot and its presentation is the exact right mix of effort and talent combined with a total lack of filter and wildly out-of-place tonal shifts that makes things hilarious rather than unbearable. I'd never call it good, but you can tell they're trying their hardest at executing these terrible ideas and the result is frequently entertaining, if rarely for the reasons it wants to be.

This is the true spirit of sonic

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ninjewtsu posted:

This is the true spirit of sonic

yeah basically

The dumbest poo poo in this game is dumb, but it also slots in quite nicely next to Princess Elise reviving Sonic from the dead with tears and a kiss, Sonic being captured by Eggman and tortured for months in space, or basically every single detail of Shadow's various plotlines from his introduction until now. The game's definitely inspired by the stupid end of Sonic, but it's not like Sega didn't set that bar themselves.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

This is not really selling me on it

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I mean, if you don't like laughing at dumb Sonic then the story will be actively painful, so that's about right.

The gameplay itself does a pretty decent job of combining boost style and Adventure style gameplay, though. If you wanted something along the lines of Unleashed's daytime stages with more branching, it's not a bad effort.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

shadow is cool and his storylines own

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It has sold me more on it than any other sonic fan game

I definitely want to play another sonic 2006

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

VostokProgram posted:

Actually saw a fangame ages back with playable Sonia and Scourge. The latter even collects Anarchy Beryl rather than Chaos Emeralds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VostokProgram posted:

shadow is cool and his storylines own

I want a fan game with Jason Griffith as Shadow again. That voice never will stop making me smile.

I didn’t mind when he got replaced as Sonic but they should have kept him just to play Shadow still.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I certainly had more of a positive reaction to this than actual Frontiers. Now what do I take to make it go away?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Spark the Electric Jester 3 released today, might be worth a look

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1629530/Spark_the_Electric_Jester_3/

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess sega insisted last week that Frontiers is still coming out this Holiday season. I mean, we haven’t even seen the UI or even the basic plot or even gameplay footage beyond a couple of IGN videos, I’m sure they just want us to be really surprised when the game comes out :unsmith:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I guess sega insisted last week that Frontiers is still coming out this Holiday season. I mean, we haven’t even seen the UI or even the basic plot or even gameplay footage beyond a couple of IGN videos, I’m sure they just want us to be really surprised when the game comes out :unsmith:

Actually we already got the basic plot a little while back:

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_Frontiers

There’s also apparently going to be an animated short starring Knuckles at some point that ties into the game somehow

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 15, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think Sonic Mania just turned 5.

gently caress

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
We could’ve been on Mania 3 by now and be complaining about how it’s enough already

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

hatty posted:

We could’ve been on Mania 3 by now and be complaining about how it’s enough already
Multi-page debates about whether the sprites in Mania 1/2 are superior to the hand-drawn cartoony sprites in 3.

Also how to pronounce Zone 3 in Mania 2.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Mania 2 that consists of only Carnival Night, Ice Cap, & Launch Base with Tee Lopes remixing the prototype tracks.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

hatty posted:

Sega runs a tight, yazuka helmed, ship.

Right into every iceberg they can find.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Well, I've been doing the tour of 3D sonic games that I missed over the years now that my kiddo is Sonic-crazy, and I can't believe I'm asking this but: What's the best version of Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes between the GC, PS2, Xbox, and PC ports? I'm assuming it's GC because of Dolphin, but I'm open to anything.

So far we've started with Sonic Unleashed, which was way more ambitious than I was expecting. There's an excellent Sonic game inside of Sonic Unleashed, but it's wrapped in 4x more Werehog than anyone could ever want. There's also great music.... that you won't get to hear for very long because the short Werehog fight Jazz loop is what you'll be listening to most of the time. We actually haven't finished the game yet, because I went into Eggmanland with only 4 lives, and made it about 40 real-world minutes into it before losing the last life. I'm loving Eggmanland, but my grade school copilot gets frustrated seeing me fail over and over. Anyway, Unleashed exceeded my pretty low expectations by a lot, and I need to bank some lives so that I can actually make it through Eggmanland and finish it.

The weekend after I washed out on Eggmanland, we started Sonic Colors, which went down like cotton candy. After Unleashed, I was shocked by just how short most of the stages were, and it seems like stretching them out into 6 acts made individual acts feel samey. The Colors Ultimate port also wasn't great, I picked it up on Xbox rather than Switch because I had seen reports that the Switch port ran pretty poorly and at a surprisingly low res, but the Xbox port still had surprising controls coming from Unleashed, and I am pretty sure that I encountered what I hope were bugs that made for insane difficulty spikes. The guy who chases you in the Aquarium Act 4, and then the Terminal Velocity last area: https://info.sonicretro.org/Big_Chaser, he has no tell of which lane the laser is going to be in. Nothing at all, no glow, no warning, so it took me a stupid amount of attempts to survive him. I googled some Wii footage uploaded to Youtube in 2011, and it looks like in the original release his cannons would glow to show which lanes his lasers would attack, but that's completely gone in the Ultimate release.

Sonic Unleashed has some great parts and the original 2008 release looks and runs better than last year's Colors Ultimate remaster, which is impressive.

Anyway, I'm ready to get down and dirty with some bad Sonics now. Before playing these, the only 3D sonic I had played since Dreamcast was Sonic Generations.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 15, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heroes is definitely GameCube, I think Shadow is too.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only one you shouldn’t get the GameCube version of is Adventure DX because they made it butt ugly for some reason, PC version with restoration mods is ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure about the PC versions but Heroes and Shadow are definitely the most stable on GameCube (I’ve heard stories of the PS2 and Xbox versions crashing a lot, especially in the case of Heroes)

Come to think of it, did Shadow the Hedgehog even get a PC port?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 15, 2022