Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's the one actually called Sonic 4 and we have to live with that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Sonic & Knuckles is technically just the second half of Sonic 3 they wound up releasing separately (and with Fang back in the picture now I’d argue Triple Trouble is technically a mainline game now)

Speaking of, IDW recently put out the first two issues of a Fang miniseries that teams him up with Bean and Bark from Fighters (though the latter is apparently mute for some reason). Seems decent so far

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bark being mute is a holdover from Archie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Bark being mute is a holdover from Archie

What was their excuse for him not talking then?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I will be the tourist: why is Sonic 3 the Chaotic Evil Sonic 4? Or is that :thejoke: in of itself?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be the tourist: why is Sonic 3 the Chaotic Evil Sonic 4? Or is that :thejoke: in of itself?

because Sonic cd exists

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

What was their excuse for him not talking then?

He just doesn't. He's just a quiet guy

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

It's the fourth "new" console title release, after Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD. The logic here is that it's called Sonic 3 but is Sonic 4, thus not following "order" (chaotic) and being incorrectly numbered (evil).

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Sonic Superstars shouldn't be on this, there is no world where it counts and Sonic Mania does not, making it Sonic 5 at least.

I'd say combine that with how every game in "good" is good and 2/3 of the games under "evil" are mediocre at best, and move Sonic Advance to Neutral Good, Sonic 3 to Chaotic Good, and then I have no idea what goes under Chaotic Evil now. Looking at release dates, Sonic Chaos is the 4th Sonic game to not share a number, maybe that?

Alternatively a clone or fangame could go somewhere.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sonic Generations is the first non-spinoff game after S3&K to feature Classic Sonic

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sonic Adventure is probably the right answer here, but otherwise Advance 1 - it's the same style of gameplay and music and adds an extra character.

The chaotic evil option should be Knuckles Chaotix.

Captain France posted:

Alternatively a clone or fangame could go somewhere.

If we're going this route then Triple Trouble 16-bit for sure.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

because Sonic cd exists

Hogama posted:

It's the fourth "new" console title release, after Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD. The logic here is that it's called Sonic 3 but is Sonic 4, thus not following "order" (chaotic) and being incorrectly numbered (evil).

Oh, I completely forgot about that game :doh:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sonic Adventure is probably the right answer here, but otherwise Advance 1 - it's the same style of gameplay and music and adds an extra character.

The chaotic evil option should be Knuckles Chaotix.

If we're going this route then Triple Trouble 16-bit for sure.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is Classic themed and originally released before Sonic Adventure so it's got an argument too, but I forgot about Chaotix.

Knuckles Chaotix fits Chaotic Evil there perfectly and is the correct inclusion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain France posted:

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is Classic themed and originally released before Sonic Adventure so it's got an argument too, but I forgot about Chaotix.

Knuckles Chaotix fits Chaotic Evil there perfectly and is the correct inclusion.

Robo Blast is a fan game though and therefore doesn’t really count (still good however)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Don't link SiIvagunner too often, but this video from today made me smile for the audacity of the combo, and it not being too bad, actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQNaum0y6bo
Sonic Spinball Options music arranged with Sonic 4 Episode I's instruments.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Olive garden guy played the bad guy on season 3 of justified so I think he could pull off being evil in sonic 3

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If Half Life 2: Episodes 1 and 2 are not the same game as Half Life 2, then Sonic 4: Episodes 1 and 2 aren’t Sonic 4 either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently a new mobile game is in the works:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/03/leaked-trailer-for-sonics-new-mobile-game-gives-off-major-fall-guys-vibes

Edit: Sega's deleted the leaked video it seems

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 25, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trailer for the above:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7jcJN5S33WE

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I love Fall Guys, so a Sonic Battle Royale would be very special to me.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Midori, the person who leaked Sonic Toys Party a few months ago, also mentioned a Sonic soccer game for Apple Arcade, a Chao game called Sonic Chao Guardians for Netflix, and is now backing up a rumor of a Sonic Heroes remake. Of course this is all unconfirmed, but I think their track record seems pretty good so far.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why remake Heroes and not Adventure 1 or 2? Its so silly it has to be true

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’m guessing the reasoning is that it’s easier to remake than the Adventure games and isn’t on modern platforms yet. Otherwise I have no idea. Hopefully they make it not suck this time around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of remakes, there haven’t been any further updates on the upcoming Generations one have there?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Remaking Heroes would be about the same level of “out of left field” as the Skyward Sword remaster, so it’s definitely happening

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, Adventure and 2 are in a pretty good position on PC. Not as-sold, but they can be modded into a pretty solid state. Heroes isn't even being sold, and the PC version that exists is in a hell of a state even compared to the console version. It would need some kind of work for them releasing it to not be loving embarrassing

E: That is, the as sold state of Adventure is also embarrassing, but it's an old embarrassment and the community has sort of learned to deal with it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Midori, the person who leaked Sonic Toys Party a few months ago, also mentioned a Sonic soccer game for Apple Arcade, a Chao game called Sonic Chao Guardians for Netflix, and is now backing up a rumor of a Sonic Heroes remake. Of course this is all unconfirmed, but I think their track record seems pretty good so far.

Tbh there's been a lot of rumors since forever where someone gets one thing right, and then says a lot of other stuff that's wrong, even within the history of people leaking Sonic game stuff. So I wouldn't hold my breath on this (is anyone holding their breath for a Sonic Heroes remake?).

Honestly I kinda figured they're next big thing would be some Frontiers sequel or other open-zone game after the success of Frontiers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm holding my breath for a Sonic Heroes remake. That game deserved better, it owns

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It owns the title of worst 3d sonic, yeah

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I could see a port/remaster to get it on modern consoles, but a full-blown remake seems like a lot of effort for such a mid game

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So apparently there was a bit of a misunderstanding with the Heroes remake. Midori (Toy Party leaker), posted that they had heard Sonic Heroes is one of several titles being considered for a UE5 remake to help get Sonic Team familiar with the engine. This came after a fake leaker called Zippo (who’s been “leaking” fake Sonic stuff for years now) said there’d be a Heroes remake in 2026, and apparently the two claims got conflated and stuff led to Midori quitting.

Ventana posted:

Tbh there's been a lot of rumors since forever where someone gets one thing right, and then says a lot of other stuff that's wrong, even within the history of people leaking Sonic game stuff. So I wouldn't hold my breath on this (is anyone holding their breath for a Sonic Heroes remake?).

Honestly I kinda figured they're next big thing would be some Frontiers sequel or other open-zone game after the success of Frontiers.

This specific leaker is (well, was) legit. They leaked P3R and SMTV Vengeance as well as Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio’s gameplay beforehand as well.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Zippo is a clout-chasing dumbass and also apparently an rear end in a top hat. Nobody should ever listen to anything he claims, even when he happens to be right by chance.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I feel like moving to UE5 would be a positive step for Sonic team not because of anything the engine can do in particular but because Sonic games really don't need a custom engine and using a premade engine should hopefully mean quicker dev times or less buggy games or both. Or maybe I'm just being optimistic but I remember scratching my head at the emphasis that was placed on the HEDGEHOG ENGINE back in the '06 days and being like wait what is so special about this engine?

I'd play a Heroes remaster, hell I'd play any remaster if I'm being honest, but I'm more interested in the idea of them switching to an off the shelf engine than in Heroes itself.

I wonder if UE5 would have helped the godawful pop in on Frontiers too.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should remake 2006 and also add it to xbox backwards compatibility

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Wasn’t there a leaked “five-year plan” document that accurately called several things released recently (open-world game, second movie, new 2d game) that also included remakes of the Adventure games in the next few years? I could definitely see them remaking one or both of those in UE5

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Why won't that Sonic 4 music go away

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why won't that Sonic 4 music go away

Because nobody played it they can keep reusing the music.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Wasn't Sonic heroes the best selling 3d game before Frontiers? It kind of makes sense to remake it actually imo. It has a lot of fun level themes, and isn't regarded as a classic so improving things wouldn't be seen as sacrilege

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hatty posted:

Why remake Heroes and not Adventure 1 or 2? Its so silly it has to be true

The people want Chao Gardens and it's really important for Sega to not give people Chao Gardens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skeletome posted:

Wasn't Sonic heroes the best selling 3d game before Frontiers?

It was, but a lot of that was because it was a three-console-plus-PC release in the series heyday.