Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I need to know if the "Easter Egg" in the game concerning Sonic Mania I saw elsewhere is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Justin_Brett posted:

Some people are claiming it's revealed Mania didn't happen since Infinite's power is illusions?

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

If it's true I could see some people getting quite upset over how that sounds. Even if it's not what Sonic Team intended.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ventana posted:

Yes, the people spreading that rumor are idiots. The ending cutscenes clearly shows Tails saying that Mania Sonic is returning to his world/dimension/time/whatever, not that he was an illusion or anything.

The story does, however, give the impression that a lot of the Phantom Ruby stuff and remixes were created illusions. But considering how loose Forces is with consistency, you probably shouldn't read anything to that. All signs point to Mania happening.

It doesn't, but you can imagine some fans getting mad at the implications that a game they like (Mania) would get treated like nothing important compared to the modern mediocre game (Forces).

I think the main thing is that I can certainly see some people take this out of context, and see it as a "Modern Sonic is the one true Sonic who we envision as the future. Classic/Mania Sonic is now an alternate universe Sonic that only occasionally pops up and isn't as important as Modern Sonic" declaration from Sonic Team. Which is totally overthinking things but I can see the more overzealous fans subscribing to this theory.

There is something else about all this I find interesting, I wonder now if instead of an OC helping out, at one point it was supposed to be Modern Sonic, Mania Sonic and Boom Sonic sharing center stage. Like if this game was in the planning development stages since...let's say early 2015 is when they started planning it out, then I could see at one point everything involving the Avatar being done by Boom Sonic. Like this would have been scrapped before they did any sort of story development or whatever.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
About the final boss battle:

When I talked about them reusing assets for the game I didn't know that extended to literally doing the last boss routine from Colors and Lost World again. I'm specifically referring to the final form section from 8:30 onward.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What was that one music track from Sonic 06 that was used for side missions and was seemingly unconsciously taken from one of the NES Mega Man games?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Man Sonic 06 was an odd game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
It's weird now to rate a new Sonic game against Sonic 2006 because 06 has like, it's become an "Event" for lot of people. Like others have said it's almost a "Meme Game" now with people willingly continuing to bring it up in a "So bad it's good" way that other titles like Lost World don't seem to have.

So even if Forces is better than 06, there's a chance it could eventually fall behind on the relevancy scale as Sonic 06 continues to take the role of the most talked about 3D Sonic game.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I am OK with DLC that's strictly character-creator related if they sell an option to make Big the Cat sized heroes.

Like that's my biggest problem with the OC creation mechanic at the end of the day. Everyone ends up all too..skinny.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I thought most Sonic fans and Mario fans got along pretty well now a days.

I didn't realize there were still people who believe reviewers are being paid off to give Mario high praise while keeping the 3D Sonic games down.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Egoraptor account spotted.

I haven't kept up with him for years does he really think that about Mania?

Like he's really gonna take "Sonic was never good actually" to his grave?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/934453945757466624

The meme shirt is officially out now.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Would it have been better or worse if they had tried to go the route they did in conjunction with Lego Dimensions and had the tracks be thiese musically uncanny valley versions of Sonic music?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-ovhO9L6J0iWe482-sH_Uu5zPaNFHjsm

Where they kinda sorta sound right at pointts, but then what's different about them hits so hard it becomes even more different regardless of sounding similar.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm imagining SEGA finally putting out a collection of all the Dimps Sonic games. But also I would dread such a collection because I remember the special stages in like, at least the first Advance could be worse than any of the others brought up here.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh hey Sonic Omens released and it's even trending I wanna see what's hap-pe-ning here...

https://twitter.com/PersonthePerso2/status/1557562091816583168

https://twitter.com/SNick_WT/status/1557487380403294208

Oh nooooo....

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1562146956356464640

The "Sonic goes to some weird place and fucks around with some anime girl" era is back, Sonic Storybook fans!!!!!

Wish it would actually be a Sonic Storybook-themed game and have Sonic meet up with...I don't know.

Someone in the Bible? Maybe this secretly is that and we'll find out this world is a digital Garden of Eden.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I am up for basically any collaboration shoes they wanna do with whoever likes Sonic cuz like, at least we live in an age where SEGA isn't trying to ironically co-market the Sonic brand with Egoraptor anymore and like I'm super glad we just aren't in that era anymore.

That was such a dumb era.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The one thing that sticks out to me looking at stuff from people who have played the game is making a satisfying final boss is still something Sonic Team is having trouble with a decade on from Generations, but also it depends on whether or not you are fighting the boss on Hard Mode because the majority of the actual in-game fight phase only happens on Hard Mode.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Where this gets weird is that these name drops are seemingly not in the separately localized Japanese script. But Sonic is like one of the few series where the English script isn't considered smaller/secondary to the Japanese one so it's not like these are just slapped-on references.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Larryb posted:

As I understand it hasn’t it been the case for at least the last few games that the script is written in English first and then adapted into Japanese (or has that been the case ever since Adventure)?

Yeah, knowing that I guess don't get your hopes up these characters to actually meaningfully show up in a game developed by Sonic Team any time soon. Like fully modeled, on screen, smoking a joint. But showing up in ancillary media is still something to expect at least.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This just makes there not being a playable Amy in Origins or any future plans to do that even more of a bizarre omission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

God it feels like eventually it's going to come out that he's been doing this in various increments for the past few decades.