Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The problem with classic mode is that, as you noticed, it strips all context from the game, and as S3&K made clear it doesn't take too much effort to strip level transitions and cutscenes down to the absolute basics to create a coherent adventure with a few exciting story beats. It's all or nothing in Freedom Planet, and neither is optimal.

I liked the story mode. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't trust the Sega of today (or the last 15 years) to make a good PS5.

Not after what happened to Phantasy Star Online 2...

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I love Freedom Planet (even the story mode), and if I had to choose between Sonic Mania and Freedom Planet 2, I'd choose Freedom Planet 2.

Does that make me a bad person? :saddowns:

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Dehry posted:

Freedom Planet
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0736-CUSA05478_00-FREEDOMPLN000001

It started off as a Sonic romhack but then they put in their own Original Character.

Freedom Planet is fantastic. YMMV on the story mode, which is optional. Personally, I think it's fine for an amateur effort, and I play with it on, but the general goon consensus is that it should be turned off. It made me nostalgic for the days when I was a dumb little kid reading bad Sonic fanfiction on SonicFoundation.net, so make of that what you will.

Has a real banger of a soundtrack, though.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Zand posted:

maybe she should just get better and then be able to play more stuff instead of you having to literally ask others for recommendations for childrens games

Don't be like this.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

yeah i love sonic fanfiction with torture scenes and genocide woooooo

Sorry, this is a bit late, but... what?

There's no genocide in Freedom Planet.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I like Freedom Planet's characters and art. :)

Macaluso posted:

I like Shadow being an edgelord but also tending a garden and getting very offended when someone makes fun of his garden

I also like this.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Because it hasnt aged well at all (coming from someone who played it nonstop as a kid)

Fuckin' jammin' soundtrack, though. Wait, we're talking about the second one, right?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Freedom Planet reminded me of my misspent preteen youth, squandered reading bad fanfiction on SonicFoundation.net.

But in a good way.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I think "promoting a fascist South American strongman" is pretty rancid. In fact, the Sonic Twitter has carried a lot of water for creeps and assholes lately; moat recently I saw them getting all buddy-buddy with @Arbys when Arby's was promoting their gross underage waifu OC.

Hang on. What?

I didn't hear about any of this.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I'm a filthy degenerate who unironically wants a Bunnie Rabbot spin-off game.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Linear Zoetrope posted:

synthy dreampop lesbian Sonic game

Sold.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad they're living their best lives and making the game they want to, complete with over dramatic fan-fiction caliber plot.

I unironically like this part, because I spent my formative years reading Archie's Sonic comics and am now a broken human being. Dumb furry melodrama is my jam.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sonic 2 is the best one so yeah.

I never liked Sonic 2. Aside from Chemical Plant, all of it's music sucked. Yes, even Mystic Cave.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

What a time to be alive. There are very, very few silver linings to 2020, but this is one of them.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I could never get over the inordinate pressure of having 0 rings even now. Probably the same reason I can never get past the first boss in the Game Gear Sonic 2.

Oh no, it wasn't just that. That boss was Super Bullshit 64, and would be even with three rings and a checkpoint.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Fortunately, A Hat In Time manages to hit that one mark that I constantly forgive every terrible entry in the Sonic Franchise for:

The music is fuckin' lit.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I think the music in Metropolis Zone sucks.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Eggman is his best when he's being a cartoon character instead of "psychotic monster" or whatever edgy poo poo that was in that comic panel. He's a big fat guy with a silly mustache who gets frustrated at a mischievous blue hedgehog, he's basically a Loony Toons villain.

As much as I hate to praise anything about Sonic Boom, his writing there was about as good as you could get, though it would have been better if the rest of the cast wasn't trying to Joss Whedon through each episode, and if Knuckles wasn't portrayed as being mentally challenged.

We had an edgy Robotnik, and we got rid of him when we got rid of Penders, and good loving riddance to him. The edgelord stuff helped to ruin Sonic Forces, though it was primarily the lackluster and laggy controls.

gently caress off. Penders' problem wasn't that he was 'edgy.' His problem was that he was a poo poo writer whose head was so far up his rear end that he could probably see the polyp causing all that diarrhea to come spewing out of his mouth. The Sonic comics had plenty of stories with high stakes, grave consequences, and serious tone long after Penders left, and unlike Penders they actually delivered on a satisfying narrative and were, you know... good. In the hands of a competent writer, you can have light-hearted comedy and levity and serious themes of loss, betrayal, and desperation in the same series without getting tonal whiplash from it. There's more than enough room in the series to accommodate both sets of expression, and in fact both those emotional zeniths and nadirs are amplified for the contrast.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

so is this sincereposting or what

Yeah, it's sincere. I'm not really all that ashamed to admit that I unironically like the Sonic comics. I like the humor and the jokes and the silliness, but I also really like it when Sonic's narrative turns to the serious and the dramatic. The stories have had their misses. There's no disputing that. But when they try for pathos and actually manage to stick the landing, I think it's really great. I love the characters. Yes, I had big crushes on Princess Sally and Bunnie Rabbot when I was a little girl. I'm comfortable with that.

I also really liked Ken Penders' work back in the day, but that was because I was a stupid kid, and Penders is really good at leaving dangling plot hooks all over the place. I saw all those hints at a larger grandiose and intricate narrative, and my imagination did all the heavy lifting in filling out the *massive* empty spaces in the plot. It was easy; I'd frequently miss issues here and there, so I always kind of assumed that Penders was referring to events and stories that had been detailed in issues I hadn't read yet. It was only with the benefit of years and years of hindsight that I realize he suckered me. He's the Star Citizen of Sonic writers: tons of vague but grandiose promises; wet fart of a delivery.

Ian's run and the IDW comics are really, really good, though. The bleakest parts of the Metal Virus arc and the side stories in the Annual made me feel some real, genuine emotions, and I think that's awesome! I don't get why everyone doesn't think it's awesome! That bit where Metal Sonic dips their hand in the Metal Virus vat? Just perfect.

So... yes, I sincerely love the Sonic comics, and I love it when they eschew the humor and try to tell an actual story with a solid emotional heart. I live for that stuff. Tangle and Whisper are super in love with each other and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Edit: poo poo, loving... E-102 Gamma? Come on, that was a great story.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 30, 2021

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yup, it also featured (in my opinion) possibly the worst actor Tails has ever had since the dub of the OVA.

Hush, you. Every voice in the OVA was just perfect.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s actually specifically male hedgehogs that can go super, I believe.

That's loving stupid and whoever came up with that idea should be thrown into the sea.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm not asking for deep lore and complex world building from my Sonic games...

I am.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

It's Hydro City. It's a city filled with water. Nearly all the S3&K zones follow the same <Descriptive word> <Location> format.

This is an island of angels. This battery is flying. This palace is hidden. This base is for launching. This reef is full of lava. This sanctuary is in the sky, and this egg is DEATH. And this city is filled with water. It is hydrated. It is a hydro city.

Hydro.

City.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Zone.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, I love you Beep.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Sup, gamers. Did y'all know about this?

https://twitter.com/mikeoholic/status/1392162480713977868?s=20

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Larryb posted:

Can they even use the SatAm/Archie characters anymore? I know Sega owns the rights to them but I remember there being some stipulation against them appearing in the IDW comic or something.

Just a SEGA editorial mandate. There's nothing legally preventing the Freedom Fighters from appearing in Sonic media.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Larryb posted:

Is their personal comic any good then?

Yeah, it's really good. Very well written, lots of pathos, and they're both such fun characters. Solid read.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

If they switched the order of tracks in the Perfect Chaos boss fight, Sonic Adventure would be a perfect game.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

I really like Sonic, you guys.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I know it's been like a week but I still find myself replaying the 30th anniversary concert every now and then because it's so loving good. Seeing how hyped and well-behaved the people in chat were also adds to the experience.

I'm so glad to be a Sonic fan. :3:

Hell, same. I emailed my parents a link to the symphony and gave them a little bit of a spiel about how much Sonic has meant to over the past 30 years. My mom loves Crush 40 now. My dad liked the orchestral half more, but I think that's because he thinks he's "too cool" to enjoy butt rock. He's such a dork.

Also, after some investigative discussions, my wife and I have also come to the startling and, perhaps, disquieting conclusion that we met because of Sonic.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 2, 2021

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'd rather they try repeating success for once since....Sonic Adventure?

The whole "we want to do something different every time" would be respectable if it worked out ever.

Sonic Adventure 2?

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Kikas posted:

another finger curls on the monkey paw
Shadow The Hedgehog game structure... but you play as Amy.

You seem like a nice person but I don't think you know how a monkey's paw works.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Scourge was great. One of the unfortunate casualties when they rebooted the series

Penders got the rights. Real shame, that.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

Raylax posted:

Freedom Planet 2 better have a Classic Mode so I can play it with the hours of godawful livejournal sonic oc fanfic dialogue ejected

That was my favourite part though.

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure it does, but this is some cowardly poo poo.

How can you call yourself a sonic fan if you can't suffer through a bit of bad melodrama.

I grew up on Archie Sonic, so I have an unhealthy love for overwrought furry melodrama, where all the emotions are amped to telenovella levels. I'm cool with the existence of a "Classic Mode" for those who aren't strong enough, but I want Freedom Planet 2's story to be just as hammy and cringingly sincere as the first game, except even more so. That kind of poo poo makes me feel like a kid again. My brain is broken.

Larryb posted:

The title Rangers does seem to imply that there will be more playable characters besides just Sonic but we’ll see I guess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Tails would be cool too. He could use his Tails Adventure gadgets again.

I want Blaze too. She rules and should be in more games.

Unironically hyped for the return of playable friends.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm hyped for Sonic.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have faith in Sonic

:yeah:

Valcione fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007

JoJosSiwaAdventure posted:

Dragon Ball finally let some girls go Super Saiyan so it's just a matter of time now

I want to believe but I know better than to hope.