Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I died to the flying battery boss because Tails kept hitting it a fraction of a second before me and I passed through its iframes into its spike hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It runs on an emulator. Presumably if you had the means to do so you could flash the rom to a cart and play it on an actual Mega Drive.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Chaotix is weird. Even the later acts in each zone aren't really challenging and most of the enemies just patrol left to right. The hardest part is that stage where you have to find a switch before going to the goal.

It's almost reminds me of Toejam and Earl where the point isn't to be challenged, it's to spend some time wandering around a space with a really excellent soundtrack... except they forgot to put anything interesting in the zones.

Soundtrack's still good though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's not very good. You control two characters that are tethered together by an elastic band and can produce some pretty huge speed and jumps by stretching it, but all the levels are big dull empty spaces

Every character has some kind of climbing or flight move because the levels have a lot of vertical movement (Espio can run on CEILINGS)

Also there are five zones with five acts each and their order is randomly selected, you will be sick of every zone by the time you're done

The good things about Chaotix are 1) the music and 2) the special stages

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Beasteh posted:

Anyone else read this masterpiece of literature back in the early 90s

Sonic gets turned into a toaster and weird british humor happens

e: poo poo there were apparently a lot of these

I read all of these when I was an idiot kid and they were great. I think the author showed up in Cybershell's LP thread years ago.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kurieg posted:

Isn't about half the file size just the unity loader?

DirectX installation I think but yeah the Taxman concurs

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/895351449411960832

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

ArfJason posted:

i cant stop thinking about metal sonic's boss theme in this game

It's so loving good

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's possible to hit the TMZ1 boss as Knuckles without taking a hit, but the window is really small and the angle of your rebound means there's a good chance that you'll be caught by the spikes from the exploding orb.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4vJbDuCEqE

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Are you from Europe? If you played the PAL version of S3&K it'll have run at 5/6ths of the normal speed.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's unavoidable on some of them, especially the one that spirals inwards counter-clockwise and I just found out yesterday was cut from S3&K for being too hard. :gonk:

Also, I thought they fixed the PAL speed issue for 2 & 3? I don't remember them being slower than the NTSC version.

They fixed the music after 1 but the games still ran slower

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DoctorWhat posted:

DRM and keylogger? WTF!?

The game was kind of shoddily coded and accepted input even when it wasn't the active window. I don't think it was a full on keylogger as it didn't do anything with those inputs, but you can't blame people for being cautious, especially when the game itself tripped antivirus warnings.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

All of the OCs are badly drawn and off model by design, it's accuracy to the source material

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Spiderdrake posted:

Hmm, I wonder why I never noticed. But are there any parts you remember needing to switch mid-stream? There's a couple points in Studiopolis act 2 or Flying Battery that you need to reverse to hold momentum

If you hold down in those sections to spin you should keep your momentum whatever happens.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Jesus loving Christ that Mega Octo boss is causing some aggro in my house at the moment. My fiancée is playing her save and whenever she gets stuck on a boss in games she asks me to do it so she can get back to the joy of platforming, this is the first time I have failed to deliver. I can see it is doable but there really is a clusterfuck of bullshit at play in that fight.

You really have to take your time with it and focus on the arms first, getting a couple of hits in before they start shooting and then focusing on dodging. If you go straight for the boss itself they'll shred you.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Speedrunners are going to have a lot of fun if Ray's glide is like the Mario cape

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You should play Sonic the Hedgehog 2, friend

It's a really good game

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

With takes this hot I must be in the Lava Reef Zone (which is good)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You press left / right to adjust Ray's flight angle, not up / down

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Bodyholes posted:

Tim Follin showing what the Genesis can really do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozqL_HkHF4

Follin's an absolute god with audio. I have no idea what he did to the NES to make the main theme from Solstice but it's loving incredible.

He's also the writer and director of FMV adventure game Contradiction: Spot the Liar so I'm going to say his talents know no bounds.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

(cups hands around mouth) Sonic's a loving NARC!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

https://twitter.com/TheSewer56/status/1104019306239746049?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

robot roll call posted:

I gave this a try, very cool. Automatically recognized my controller and has tons of little QOL options.

I really like the option to have the ring count in special stages go down if you want to go for perfects.

The individual music switches are cool, Sonic 3 all the way except S&K invincibility music. There's an option for Sonic 2 super theme as well.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This Robotnik fucks

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Elentor posted:

At 1.25x it's something that could perfectly replace Cassino Night or Spring Yard.

It's from the PAL version.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Well done everyone, we laughed at the bad hedgehog too much and now a bunch of CG artists don't get to see their families for six months

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I know it would never happen because every part of Sega except Europe dropped it immediately, but my eight year old self really wants to see a film version of the "official" canon they created to market the original game outside of Japan.

Carrey could do a decent Kintobor and Robotnik I reckon.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sea Lily posted:

the movie feels like they're doing a kind of riff on this, except he's just always been kind of a dick, and it escalates to maniac over time. complete with, im pretty sure, his name going from Robotnik to Eggman, which is kinda fun actually

Kind of, but I like the notion of Kintobor / Robotnik being the catalyst for Sonic's speed. I also like the quasi-environmentalist message of using the chaos emeralds to eradicate the evil and pollution of the world, although if you're setting a film in our world that becomes a lot more complex.

Maybe I just want the real Sonic movie where he's a radical anarchist enviro-terrorist.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Nodosaur posted:

The "make something successful" thing is just a way of politely saying "I hope they can make something good" without giving his actual thoughts on it, whatever they may be.

It does have the side bonus of clearly distancing yourself from the project, which is useful should it turn out to be a huge flaming pile of shite.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Buml0r posted:

Ok, I've been holding back, but since STC has been mentioned a couple of times this page:

I've just launched a fortnightly podcast about the British Sonic comics. The idea is not to be all "so as you know, in issue #84..." but to try and cover everything in the magazine (yes, including the Mark Millar Streets of Rage comics etc), and paint a picture of what it was like to be there and read them at the time. I reckon a few of you here will enjoy it, other people seem to be.

Here go!

Or here go if you don't like apples

Speaking as a 90s UK Sega kid, this was really good and brought me right back to being eight years old, including not really reading most of the non Sonic strips. I'm also glad to hear that Sonic in the Fourth Dimension is universally hailed as a literary masterpiece. Are you doing an issue per episode?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

What should we infer from it now being a Valentine's Day film?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1142951723360645121?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Knuckles' Chaotix has the best special stages.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Weird that Penders made Charmy a prince, the Fleetway comics did the same thing. They didn't kill off his friend with an LSD hotdog though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, basically the game was constantly loading / unloading data in order to stay under the PS1's 2MB memory limit (they had 4 bytes to spare)

https://www.quora.com/How-did-game-...id=z9ZA&share=1

They also managed to produce a timing bug in the hardware of the PS1 that could wipe your memory card if you pressed buttons on the controller when the game was saving.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DaveBaggett/20131031/203788/My_Hardest_Bug_Ever.php

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sonic 3 AIR is basically the definitive version of the game for me now

https://sonic3air.org/

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Skeletome posted:

dont put the SATAM cast in, but do put in Amy's Sonic the Comic look

It's so good

The reason her hair ended up like that was because when Amy was introduced to the comic, they only had this concept art from Sonic CD to base the character on and they misinterpreted her head turning round as the way her hair should be.

A big part of Sonic the Comic was taking mistakes or non-canon stuff and forging it into pure gold.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Macaluso posted:

The music was good but most Sonic music is good so

I for one did not appreciate hearing "make believe's reborn" more frequently than the ring collection noise

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I could believe that it was an unused Sonic 3 ending song given that the one in the game is an MJ track (that later got reworked into Stranger in Moscow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

You're probably thinking of it having an ARM processor as opposed to x86. Hardware wise it means it's closer to a big phone than a small PC, but doesn't really mean anything for the OS or software.