Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Chemical Plant boss made me fall off my chair. This fuckin game.... :worship:

Gonna play some more after work today but i'm loving it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I realise that the blue sphere levels aren't priority but after years of playing S3+K I feel compelled to jump into every single one purely out of habit.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Actually what is the reward for doing blue spheres?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh lol. I hadn't restarted the game since I started playing and I just saw all the new stuff.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm at work right now and can't play mania so I busted out Sonic 2 on my phone and i'm playing it sneakily at my desk. :3:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do you do the drop dash?

After jumping, press and hold the jump button again. I'm not sure if it works when you have a fire/water/lightning shield but when I tried to do it I wasn't able to pull it off.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Chemical Plant Zones second act just flows so amazingly well.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Played some more of this yesterday. I'm dying a lot but I know it's mostly just me being dumb. Currently stuck at the Oil Ocean act 2 boss. I went in with 5 lives and fire shield and still game overed. I'm bad at this game.

Switch version has been smooth for the most part so far but I did hit one major bug at the end of Hydrocity act 1 where I went too far to the right of the victory screen and the game froze. I had to exit and restart the game. Haven't seen any gamebreaking stuff since then.

Stardust Speedway was a fantastic nostalgia trip. :allears:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

If you're still having trouble he pops up in the same place at beginning of the fight everytime so just wait under him and jump up just before he pulls the platform down and you should be able to bounce on top him a few times before the battle actually begins the most I got was four which is half of his health.

Yep I figured this out pretty quickly, but as soon as i get hit once and lose rings, I can't get them back and just die each time. I've only faced him a couple of times so I just need to keep trying while i'm not sleep-deprived (stupid sucky job).

If 10yo me knew that in 20 years i'd be rushing through the work day to get home so I can play a 2D sonic game, his mind would be blown.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I turned on CRT-soft and i'm never turning it off.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just beat the main game with sonic and tails. Dunno where the complaints about the final zone are coming from. I really enjoyed it.

My god, this game.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm kind of obsessed with the music track for mirage act 1. Both it and the track for act 2 are probably my faves from the soundtrack.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

While exploring GHZ I managed to find 2 giant rings in Act 2 but when I went back later I could only find one the one that you get to by jumping through a wall filled with water. Where the hell is that second one or did I dream it?

Also regarding the gold/silver coins: is there a set number of each or do you have to complete all the different blue sphere stages twice to get them all?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Perfecting (collecting all possible rings) a blue sphere stage gets you the gold medal, just completing gets a silver. The game will only give you stages you don't have silver or gold on till you have all silvers, any silver stages will come back into the rotation so you can gold them. So basically you'll only need to repeat if you missed gold on your first clear.

There's a reward for all silvers, but I dont think there's anything for all gold.

Ah sweet, didn't realise it skips ones you've already golded, that's handy.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The one thing that annoys me is getting all the blue spheres and going out of my way to pick up all the rings but then I complete the stage with a square formation which automatically ends the stage but leaves those last few rings behind. :argh:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Finally "got gud" over the weekend. Completed a few more blue spheres but still need to gold almost all of them. Got the 7 emeralds and the proper final boss as Sonic. Now im playing as Knuckles and its so relaxing to just soar around and explore. I'm at press garden and already have 6 emeralds.

I'm so bad at blue spheres that I reckon it's gonna be months before I finish them all. Awesome!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

So the people complaining about the Knuckles Hydrocity Act 2 boss are actually complaining about it being so easy it's boring, right?

I killed that guy way too easily.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Favourite single reference definitely goes to mean bean machine boss. I laughed when it first appeared and then my jaw dropped when I realised I was actually playing it as a boss fight. Incredible.

My favourite throwback zone overall was Stardust Speedway.

Funnily enough Hydrocity Zone was my favourite zone from the original 3+K games but in Mania I really don't enjoy it for some reason. But I do like the revised bosses for it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I beat the final boss as Knuckles with all emeralds. Is there meant to be an alternate ending similar to Sonic's with all the emeralds or is there just the one? Haven't finished tails run yet.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Linear Zoetrope posted:

No, only Sonic gets an all emeralds ending. The only other "secret" ending is finishing the game as Knuckles in & Knuckles mode.

E: You can play that level with anyone after you unlock Debug by going into level select and selecting Egg Reverie, though.

Cool thanks.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

"Knuckles? Do you think love can bloom on the battlefield?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Getting to the end of a blue sphere stage and not getting a gold because the last thing is a large square and the stage ends as soon as you turn it into rings feels pretty bad

I used to think this too, until I started getting !!Perfect!! and then walking straight into a red sphere.