Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Sonic Boom games for 3DS are metroidvanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are the Master System versions of the 8bit Sonic games available for download legally or in a collection somewhere?

Sonic 1, 2 and Chaos are available on the Wii Virtual Console (or were, I think Sonic 1 SMS was pulled for some reason, I don't know if it's still there).

You can get several of the Game Gear games on the 3DS VC, and you can unlock all the Game Gear games in Sonic Adventure DX for Gamecube. The Sonic Mega Collection and Gems Collection compilations also include a few of those games but maybe not all of them, I can't remember.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Most of the 8-bit Sonic games were either GG-exclusive or developed primarily for GG and then ported to SMS, and many of the SMS games weren't released in Japan or even NA so the GG versions are the ones most people are familiar with. Also, most of them suck and should stay in the vault.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

"Sonic was never good" is wrong but "the classic Sonic games were a happy accident of contradictory elements and it's very difficult to elaborate on any one aspect of the game without diminishing the others" is pretty much correct, I feel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Amppelix posted:

https://youtu.be/r-bPLZb-Ue8

Check out these sick af special stages from the Saturn version of 3D blast

This should have been the entire game tbh

They look like this on PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5uKs8mz8I

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

A demo for another kickstarted not-Sonic game was released today: https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bw7v...export=download
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg7GKpRNDmY

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

That design looks nothing like Doronjo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Yes and it still isn't very good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sonic fans shouldn't be allowed to make Sonic games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MikeJF posted:

So not looking forward to Mania?

Not especially, no.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Groovelord Neato posted:

even the bad hacks are better than what sega produces so you're loving weird.

They generally aren't but even if they were, I can just not play any of them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sonic Boom 3DS is a generic licensed platformer that just happens to be based on an existing game franchise. Its completely unremarkable except for the fact that it doesn't feel anything like a "real" Sonic game.

Sega said they delayed the upcoming 3DS game due to quality concerns but it doesn't look any different now than it did a year ago and I suspect they just delayed it so they could launch it alongside a new season of the cartoon.

EDIT: Generations 3DS is a 2.5D game that alternates between classic and Rush-style levels, and Lost World 3DS is a true 3D game with the same systems as the HD game but unique levels (and a truly awful special stage)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at Aug 23, 2016 around 12:44

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Calaveron posted:

What did kids and magazines have to say about the barrel back then in the 90's

The old Sega hotline had a dedicated option for kids ringing up to ask about the barrel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

People expected Lost World to be good and in the hands of an experienced player it still looks like it should be fun, which is more than can be said for the typical bad Sonic game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I never hated how either version of Sonic 4 looked and I think Episode 2 actually looks pretty good for a 2.5D game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Groovelord Neato posted:

2.5D like that almost always looks bad

Yes, which is why they get credit for making a 2.5D game that looked good.

Sonic 4 has a reputation for the being the worst retro revival but holy poo poo were there some awful retro throwback games released last gen that noone ever talks about.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah but people always talk about how bad Sonic is, it's part of the cycle

Both episodes of Sonic 4 are bad, let's not kid ourselves, it's just that they're not even close to the bottom of the barrel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

It was but 20+ years of western-made Sonic media demonstrates why they should defer to whatever Japan says is canon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The 2D games are an evolutionary dead end and I don't really care if the 3D games do or don't feel "authentic" as long as they're good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Augus posted:

You lost me too.
Someone in this thread had better start making sense and soon!

2D Sonic is fine but it's never going to get that one new game that transforms it into a wholly better experience the way Mario did from SMB to SMB3, for instance. "Classic" 2D Sonic has already given us everything it has to give.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I wonder why the werehog never showed up in future games like all the other crappy Sonic character. Yeah, he's a transformation and not a separate character but kids love the werehog so who cares.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dabir posted:

I dispute your assertion that anyone likes the werehog.

The werehog was insanely popular with children, ostensibly Sonic's biggest audience.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

When people say "Sonic isn't about speed" they mean "speed isn't a substitute for good level design or fluid character movement or reasonable challenge" and they're right but they're also wrong because Sonic as a character is imbued with characteristics like Go Fast that mean you can't just plop him into any old game like he's Mario without an unavoidable degree of dissonance.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm sure it will be Boom Sonic because of the TV show still being a thing, but I have no idea what his gameplay would be like other than just a poo poo version of modern sonic? (that describes Adventure as well as Sonic Boom BTW.)

Maybe they'll bring back the Werehog and we'll have hours of stretchy arms brawling and the first 30 seconds of that jazz theme to pad the game out.

Most of Sonic Boom on Wii U plays closer to the werehog or any other generic platform-action game than 3D boost-style Sonic.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

They should make another Sonic 3D Blast.

That Lego Dimension Sonic crossover thing looks a lot like Sonic 3D Blast (and it's by the same developer, even).

Dresh posted:

I think it is very important for you to try the cafe's chili dog and report how it compares to a standard western chili dog.

Someone in the retro thread posted a trip report with pictures.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The games are canon (but only the ones I like), ignore all the other bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The POTUS having a framed photo of Sonic and Shadow on his desk is canon to real life.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

If Sonic 06 isn't canon then why does Silver keep showing up in all the new games?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spiderdrake posted:

If you can find someone to play it with, is chaotix at all good or just horrendous? I've always been curious

It's boring on your own and I imagine it sucks with another person because you'd just grief each other the entire time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sonic himself is the 4th elemental, as foretold in this ancient ballad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExYuyguAE3o

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

F. Lobot posted:

I also heard not Lava Reef in there, but I thought Sega owned all the Sonic & Knuckles music.

They do (and that tune in particular is one that people are pretty certain wasn't written by MJ or his entourage) but Sega's paranoid about doing anything with S3&K's music now that MJ's dead and his estate is in new hands, it seems.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Freedom Planet has Sonic OC characters, an overwhelmingly Sonic-esque aesthetic and runs on an engine reverse-engineered from a Sonic game, of course people talk about it in those terms.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sonic 3&K drags like hell - the levels are huge and while the gimmicks change a lot, the level of challenge plateaus fairly early on so it can be pretty tedious. Sonic 2 is the sweet spot.

Spiderdrake posted:

I hope Mania sells well enough to see a mania 2 that covers a wider reach of Sonic stuff.

I mean I hate the rush games but I'm sure there's good level themes in there, and the 8-bit games had their own stuff too.

The whole reason Mania is a remix game is because the engine is specifically modelled after the MD-era Sonic games and is made to reuse as many assets from those games as possible; if they had the resources to draw entire zones' worth of engine-appropriate assets they'd probably just make all-new stages, I think.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dabir posted:

They are doing that though? And it's not entirely modelled after MD per se, it's more of a hypothetical 2D Sonic on the Saturn.

They're doing it to a degree but even the original zones use a lot of existing assets alongside new ones.

When I say it's modelled after MD I mean the game is structured around MD-era physics and the specific dimensions of the MD sprites/tiles, so you can't really go slapping GBA or DS graphics in there without a lot of editing and at that point you may as well just draw something original.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

sharrrk posted:

drat the song for this level rules. glad they're getting the guy who did the music for sonic runners back for this, his work deserved better than a canned mobile game

The guy who did the music for Runners has been the lead composer for almost every 3D Sonic game from 2006 onwards.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Why would Tails attack enemies with bombs disguised as ring capsules?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I can't tell if that sprite is a bad Dynamite Headdy edit or a poorly-drawn original character by a guy who really likes Dynamite Headdy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pigbuster posted:

Have we gotten an orb maze redux yet? I know we've gotten retakes on sonic 1's jewel maze and 2's half pipe but I don't remember any new orb content. 3D Blast's sky walkways never got any love either, but that's more understandable.

They could ALSO try actually doing something new but like that's ever gonna happen.

Lost World 3DS has a gyro-controlled orb collecting... thing, and it's terrible.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Schwarzwald posted:

I am 100% in favor of Shadow just being the American Kirby version of Sonic refuses to ever admit to having fun.

so, Meta Knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Congratulations internet, Sonic's original designer drew sexy fan art of his own characters:
https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/st...791710267224065

«4 »