Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Sue posted:

Red Mountain.
Wht's that? an excuse to post the best track from SA?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8PDGiEhYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Kashuno posted:

all you have to do is push up and down lol
Nothing in the game works the same as the barrel and just jumping on it gives you just enough of a reaction to fool you into thinking it works that way.

It is bad design.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Metropolis is rad as hell and the sonic 3 equivialent is Launch Base Zone which is the ugliest worst Zone in the classic games.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
That's a really good breakdown. I feel like with Sonic Mania they've finally found a way to make the older fans happy at least.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Sonic Rush is my favorite modern 2D sonic game but it has some real dumb design decisions that gently caress over new players. For example, Blaze, the slow but with a glide character, is unlocked almost straight away but her first stage is actually the 4th or 5th in Sonic's (sensible) stage order. So if you get stuck in the second stage as sonic switching to the easier character sticks you in a much harder stage.The game also revolves entirely around a trick system that's not really elaborated on at all in game, so if you don't read the manual you're hosed, as the stages are designed around boosting all the time.

Rush Adventure is a steaming pile of poo poo, however. They added the ability to skip cut scenes, but then put Zelda:PH style sailing sections between levels. Also grinding for materials to unlock the next stage is an awful, awful idea. Basically gently caress every reviewer who complained about Rush being 'too short' because it was mercifully free of such lovely pointless padding.

Colours DS is decent enough, but plays more like the 2D sections in Colours than either Rush game. You gain boost by collecting rings, rather than doing tricks. There are wisp powerups.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wouldn't describe the sailing as a 'Minigame' as that implies you don't spend the majority of your playtime doing it.

You may be right about the level design, but I felt the new combo system trivialized maintaining your boost meter to such a degree that I just didn't enjoy playing them as much. The bosses were a lot better in Adventure, although both games took away your boost meter for bosses which I always thought was boneheaded design.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you want a game that plays exactly like Doom 2 you are more than catered to by the still thriving wad screen.

The new Doom invoked enough of the original's speed and non-reliance on hitscan bullshit to be the best single player fps of this decade.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
That engagement ring sounds boss as hell, but are you prepared to also wear the adiitonal 49 rings need to activate super mode?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^^^^
The voice acting in Heroes was 100% bad bad bad creatively, technically and in implementation, but all those lines are burnt into my brain forever and I have a sort of nostalgia for them. It's like Stockholm nostalgia.

Look at all those Eggmans robots. Wheeeeeee.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It says there'll be a third gameplay type besides classic and modern, so I'm pinning my mast to the good ship Boom Sonic With Adventure Gameplay.
I'm sure it will be Boom Sonic because of the TV show still being a thing, but I have no idea what his gameplay would be like other than just a poo poo version of modern sonic? (that describes Adventure as well as Sonic Boom BTW.)

Maybe they'll bring back the Werehog and we'll have hours of stretchy arms brawling and the first 30 seconds of that jazz theme to pad the game out.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Link that poo poo.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's very similar to Dust: an elysian tail in that it is an impressively well crafted effort from a smal team that plays pretty well but has embarassingly poor character design and story.

Also full voice acting somehow.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I can't completely hate dimps because sonic rush fukken rules

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

sharrrk posted:

i would easily put it above every mario kart available at the time other than double dash
Yeah it was a real fun + solid kart racer and much better than it's peer MKWii. Mk8 shits all over it nowadays but it was a breath of fresh air at the time.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What zones don't you want to see? Like which are your least favorite from 1, 2 3&K?

Mine are Marble Garden, Sandopolis and Launch Base.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I firmly believe that if you swapped Hydrocity for Sandopolis S&K would be the perfect sonic game on its own.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think the real lesson here is that at one point the American Sonic comics where an embarrassing furry soap opera and the only really good version of Amy is the one from the British comics where they kept her CD design, armed her with a crossbow and sent her off to have universe-hopping space adventures with her genius canary girlfriend.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

UK Amy sounds interesting, albeit also like a completely different character.

Shame about Sonic himself, who has kept me from reading those comics for years.

But Archie Amy shows you can write Amy as keeping her interest in Sonic and same overall character, while still being proactive, effective, and with distinct relationships like an actual respect and friendship with characters like Sally. That's what has her win over other adaptations in my book.
Amy didn't get much screentime in the games until Adventure, which dropped at the very end of STC's lifespan (literally the last story published was a loose Adventure adaptation), so yeah she's very different, but cool and good. One of the real strengths of STC was that because it preceded most of the other cartoons and comics it doesn't really draw from anything other than the Megadrive/genesis era games and spins them off in radically different directions.

What didn't you like about Sonic's characterization? Genuinely interested, as STC sonic is like my favorite incarnation of the character, although did read them as a kid so nostalgia may pay a factor there. It's refreshing to me that they didn't shy away from him being a bit of a prick, he really felt like a character with an attitude rather than a character with 'attitude'.

I've not actually read much of the Archie series, and but given the quality of what I have seen of the modern stuff I've no doubt they've turned Amy into something good, but characterwise I can't imagine she bears much resemblance to the Amy from Adventure anymore, as she barely had any.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

He's just thoroughly unlikable. Maybe he becomes more nuanced in the later stories, but I can't get through those early ones where he's being an rear end in a top hat for the sake of being an rear end in a top hat to his friends.
Never really bothered me, but I guess I came to STC off reading poo poo like the Beano. British kids comics from that era did skew heavily towards unlikable characters especially for comedy.

I love STC but I really wouldn't recommend reading all of it, if you ever give it another shot look up stuff specifically written but not drawn by Nigel Kitching, written by Lew Stringer, or (especially) drawn by Richard Elson.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
In the games I played he was called Robotnik you can't tell me that's not his name I'll fight you.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do any old Mario fans still make a big deal about Princess Toadstool becoming Peach? I dunno why Sonic fans still care about Robotic/Eggman when they use both now.
I didn't grow up reading Mario comics and watching Mario cartoons but in general 'Peach' is a much better name and much less of a mouthful than Toadstool and for most players the start of Mario64 was were the name transition happened and it did so naturally, it's easy to swallow 'Princess Toadstool would now prefer to be called by her first name'. Also tbf peach isn't much of a presence in the games, she really only exists as a macguffin to be rescued.

Robotnik on the other hand is a better name IMO, and he appears at the end of every stage to directly antagonize you. I feel like if Nintendo started referring to Bowser as 'King Koopa' exclusively from Mario World onwards there would be a lot of people still salty about it. The 'they use both names' argument doesn't carry much water either, as Eggman is used 99% of the time, even in cases where it wouldn't make any sense.

Basically there wasn't any good reason to drop the localized name and they didn't handle it very well, so many longtime fans still don't like the new name. I've mostly gotten used to Eggman, but I still think of him as Robotnik.

At least it's not as bad as Aeris/Aerith thing where Square Enix went back from the nicely localized name to one that sounds like awkward engrish.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
People tend to cling to the parts of any franchise that were actually good and downplay the stuff that wasn't yes. Nostalgia plays a huge part in any discussion about Sonic, that;s just how it is.

Also FF7's localization was largely bad but I 100% support actual localization over slavish literal translations and I acknowledge it's sometimes better to relocalize something that was handled poorly/ no longer makes sense with new material, but IMO Aeris vs. Aerith is so close that changing it really served no actual purpose. Aeris is Aerith made not to sound awkward and I'd much rather have a name that reads nicely to western eyes than one that that is 'thematically appropriate' as a games themes are expressed in more ways than one character having an on-the-nose pun name.

Basically if you have a franchise with characters beloved by millions don't change their names arbitrarily is all I'm saying, treat your long time fans right.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ImpAtom posted:

It's very rarely arbitrary. Long-term fans who can't accept the idea that maybe something was badly translated and there's no reason to cling desperately to bad translations basically don't deserve to be 'treated right' because their only argument is "nostalgia is more important to me than anything!"

Localization is good but what you're arguing isn't carefully thought out localization. It's stuff done by underpaid translators a couple decades ago. I don't particularly care which name you use for Dr. Robotnik Julian Kintobor Ivo Eggman The Third but there's no real good reason to still be angry about it over a decade later.
Obviously disagree, but who said I was angry? I prefer one name because I grew up with it and associate the character with it. I think they made a bad choice when they changed it and still think of the character by the original name because I prefer it and have long associated it with the character.

In Aeris's case it just feels to me like if they brought out new FF6 games and changed Bartz back into Butz.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

MikeJF posted:

I could see that being a romhack of Yoshi's Island. Sonic 2, not so much.
It's a lot less work replicating yoshi's movement and tounge mechanics in sonic 2 than it is to recreate the entirety of the levels, enemies and bosses from sonic 2 in Yoshi's Island.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Unlike my hero Sonic the hedgehog who is forever 15, we are all aging friend.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

beep by grandpa posted:

But from his rejections of Amy, a proud volcel. That's why he's so powerful.
Canonically Amy is 12 years old, but regardless his constant disintrest makes Sonic a true Ace icon.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Who the gently caress is recommending Lost World 3Ds. Don't play that it is trash garbage and I hate that I paid full price for it. It's the worse version of an already fatally flawed game.

I heard the 3DS sonic boom titles are ok play them instead i guess?

Or just play anything else, most of Sonic's back catalogue is on steam these days. Racing Transformed is ace if you like kart racers :^)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Frankston posted:

I dunno, Green Hill Zone can gently caress off because I've played a million iterations of it at this point but I'm psyched to play an official remake of the best zone with the best music, Flying Battery Zone.
:same:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I didn't like Rush Adventure for a lot of reasons but the lack of a Hideki Naganuma soundrack really killed it for me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Sonic 2's special stage is forever my favorite thanks to hours of multiplayer leapfrogging action

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
What a good rear end trailer. I'm going to watch it again right now.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Ah yes, those fine modern graphics and gameplays, truly there is but one true nostalgia game. Get this 2D filth away from me

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Two Beans posted:

Personally, I like it when my silly cartoon games have silly cartoon plots. Loony Tunes didn't have serious storylines, dark edgelord antiheros, nor did anyone die (including villains) despite blowing up a billion times. All I need and want is the main bad guy (Elmer Fudd, Wile E. Coyote, Dr. Robotnik, King Bowser, Dr. Wily, etc.) is back at it again doing their thing (huntin' wabbits, chasing Road Runner, turning forest animals into goofy robot monsters, kidnapping the princess, building eight more rear end in a top hat robots, etc.) and that's it. That's why I never cared for "New Sonic" (characters dying, dumb edgy characters, human love interests) or Mega Man X (robots catching robot viruses killing them off or making them murderous psychobots, also the moral question of "are the humans the real bad guys for making robot slaves?"). The gently caress outta here with that. Even at 13 I didn't care for that stuff.
To this day I sill cannot fathom that Loonatics Unleashed actually exists.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Those designs are pretty neat buy I associate sonic far too much with fun colourful landscapes to really want to see a game based around classic black & white animation.

Omega re-imagined as Dusty Bin tho...

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Richard Elson's art in Sonic The Comic is absolutely fantastic. There's a lot of detail and texture while still maintaining a cartoony style. You can deffo see his background as an artist for 2000AD shine through.

The real shame about STC was how it ended: Fleetway stopped producing new stories because they thought issues filled entirely with reprints would sell just as well. They did not.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc in STC tails originated from a magic hidden swords&sorcery fantasy land but there was also a sitcom sideplot where the letters he sent home where somewhat exagerated so his whole family thought Sonic was Tails' sidekick.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ronnie posted:

Am I remembering this right but wasn't there one issue where Tails recreates scenes from Blade Runner in Chemical Plant Zone? I was 8 years old how am I supposed to get that reference Fleetway?

Sometimes references work in reverse, I can't count the times I've had the thought 'oh, so that's where the Simpsons took that from'.

My absolute favourite Reference in STC was these three characters:
]
Grouchio, Chicio and Harpio: the Marxio bros.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm sure Forces will be fine but I can't get excited for it when Mania is on it's way!!!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

nerdbot posted:

New footage, including our first listen to Green Hill Zone Act 2 and the boss theme. Seems like they made some small changes to the Mirage Saloon Act 2 music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9RP2SV8HY

"Tales"

gosh that's a long intro on that GHZ act 2 music. Takes way too long to get to the main melody. Fine for the start of the act but hearing it again every time a powerup wears off in that vid was already annoying.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Fleetway Sonic the Comic had their own takes on the animals too; at first there were the literal versions of the animals, then somewhere down the line they anthropomorphised them.

Also Scratch and a couple of the Archie cast appeared verbatim in Sonic Spinball.
STC had it's own version of Sally Acorn that actually predated the SATAM Cartoon:

Sally is an obvious girl name that alliterates with Squirrel, and both versions are based on Ricky, the squirrel from the games, so it could have been a coincidence. It is worth noting that around the same time as her first appearance that STC printed some promotional material for an then in production cartoon:

She didn't appear very often but IIRC eventually she became a TV news reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Evil Eagle posted:

Here's a question:

Does anyone like Sonic Rivals?
literally forgot those games existed.