Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno. But then Sonic has never really been the type of series to explain its cartoon science, so I didn’t really think about that. Eggman Did The Thing and put the Ruby in his robot, and Infinite is potentially dead. If he doesn’t come back, I guess that’ll answer that.

quote:

In Sonic Heroes, Rouge discovers Shadow unconscious in a stasis pod located in the deepest part of one of Dr. Eggman's bases, after he was believed to be dead. As she activates the capsule, E-123 Omega begins to scan Rouge and the newly awakened Shadow, believing him to be a creation of Eggman. As Shadow awakens, Omega fires a round of guns at Shadow and Rouge. Shadow orders Rouge to step away while he takes on Omega, but Rouge steps in to break them up, quickly ending the skirmish. Shadow discovers that he has amnesia and cannot remember anything before his release, aside from his name and brief images of Maria Robotnik's death. He unwillingly joins forces with Rouge the Bat and the robot, E-123 Omega, to form Team Dark and find Eggman.

Infinite will suffer the same fate, and then they will also give him a gun, possibly made from the Ruby, and also he will fight Mephiles in a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The best Sonic is Lego Dimensions Sonic, because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiQJZAe9-H0&t=12s

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shadow was also stupidly popular and a good part of his debut game

Then, he'll get the Silver treatment of being in everything anyway.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

My idea for the next Sonic game: Tails gets cancer

Mr. George Wood, I'm a big fan of your work.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Press Garden mini-boss is hot garbage.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SwissCM posted:

Sonic Forces is a really bad game.

My friend and I are playing this together and loving it. It's so comically edgy, and some of the design decisions are just baffling. We genuinely enjoy it. Maybe it helps that we really like Sonic Boom too.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shadowlyger posted:

Also Infinite's theme.

I absolutely love this song, unironically, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dumb Knuckles is best Knuckles.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Sticks is by far my favorite character though, which is surprising to me.

Sticks grows on you.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love and appreciate Infinite, because he is exactly the kind of character 12-year old me would have made and probably did at least once.

Like, I can see "Infinity the Hedgehog" on some notebook paper with the description "uses a dark Chaos Emerald to bend reality, making him faster and more powerful than Sonic," which is almost what Infinite is, verbatim. The fact that they somehow made an edgelord villain even more edgy than MEPHILES is an achievement in its own right, but getting Dangerkids, the rock band that brought you the song "Kill Everything", to make his theme song is perfection.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I bet Yuji Naka is working on the FF7 Remake.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shadow being Shadow in the S2 finale of Sonic Boom was probably my favorite portrayal of his character.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

End of season two Boom Shadow is the kind of violent, sociopathic piece of poo poo that regular Shadow can only dream of being.

OTOH, he fell for the Sonic "trash talk" video *and* hid both Eggmans in a cave they've all been to before. I don't think Regular Shadow would've taken the bait.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Frankston posted:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine Mania please

The cast will feature both AoStH and SatAM characters, with Satan/Dark Prince and Arle as unlockable bosses.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fawf posted:

IMO without Long John Baldry there's absolutely no point in invoking AoStH

Considering Mean Bean Machine's cast, I don't think you really have a choice!

Eggman uses the Phantom Ruby and Chaos Emeralds to alter time, putting the SatAM Robotnik into the AoStH universe, and the Freedom Fighters have to stop him from roboticizing that universe's fauna.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nodosaur posted:

I really doubt they'd be bringing Tyson Hesse along, and crediting him as the "animation director of Sonic Mania", if there weren't gonna be some Sonic Mania information at the panel.

Is he not doing the comics now?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nodosaur posted:

he is, but that's not how they're crediting him, and the Sega panels and comic stuff don't tend to share convention space

I would venture to say that Sonic Mania is more popular than the comics ever have been, so I would credit him as animation director even if it was a presentation exclusively about the comics.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

On a Sunday, riding my biiiiiiiike

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

what would even cause the lasers to do that

how can a game be THAT broken

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ometeotl posted:

Will we see the return of Totino's and the buzzing sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9eduhflgRo

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

And people wonder why Nintendo drops the hammer on fan games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I will only accept this if they write a soundtrack that is able to surpass the cheese levels of the original.

They were well on the way with the vocal tracks of Forces.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, but old Sonic doesn't sell toys like new Sonic does. Sonic Mania might be a great game, but Sonic's been doing pretty well even without it. I mean, it's not like the Sonic Mania fans are dropping the funds on "Classic Knuckles with Emerald" at GameStop.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

how can people hate oil ocean's music when hill top zone is in the same game and sets the standard for garbage

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kurieg posted:

How can you have such bad opinions?

turn on your monitor

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think the differences have to be considered case by case.

Super Puyo Puyo sounds way better than Puyo Puyo on the Mega Drive, but Puyo Puyo Tsu on SFC sounds like garbage compared to Tsu on the MD.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm surprised no one's brought up Yuzo Koshiro, a literal music magician when it comes to the Genesis sound chip. His work on Streets of Rage 2 is some of my favorite VG music ever, and the fact that it comes from the Genesis shows how good he was.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sonic Forces has some of the best Sonic music in recent years. All the dumb vocal stuff was awesome.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kirbysuperstar posted:

For real. The Avatar stage musics are just incredible.

I actually bought the vocal album and sing along to Space Port and Park Avenue every time. It's the best.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I'm a big fan of the Double Boost meme.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Frankston posted:

Were there ever any sales figures released for Mania and Forces? I'm curious to see how they fared against each other.

I did my duty and bought both.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sonic 2 is the best classic Sonic. Sonic 3&K is a bloated mess with a handful of horrible zones and bullshit bonus game layouts. (Who thought 14 Emeralds was a good idea!?)

I hate that Mania pulled so much from Sonic 3&K.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oxyclean posted:

You're crazy. Sonic 3&K is way better. Which zones are horrible?

Definitively bad zones:

- Marble Garden Zone
    - Carnival Night Zone
    - Launch Base Zone
    - Mushroom Hill Zone
    - Flying Battery Zone
    - Sandopolis Zone
    - Sky Sanctuary Zone

Ice Cap Zone and Lava Reef Zone kinda suck, but the music is great. Sonic 2 has ONE bad zone, and that's Wing Fortress Zone. I'll grant Metropolis Zone, as those star enemies are trash, and Act 3 is way too long, but it's still way better than the garbage that is Wing Fortress Zone.

The bonus stages have little to no room for error, and if you're not used to any of the Super Emerald layouts (and you probably aren't), it's constant reset grinding and memorization with very limited access. With Sonic 2, there are enough checkpoints for you to try again, and if you're good enough and resourceful enough, you can get all 7 Emeralds at Emerald Hill, which is probably why it's called Emerald Hill!

I have very serious opinions about Sonic 2.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please don't badnik post

i'm redz the badnik dinosaur who only came back in mobile sonic 2 :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if Dracula X: Rondo of Blood gets that treatment. I think it's the best pre-SOTN Castlevania game and I didn't grow up with it.

It doesn't, because Rondo is essentially the culmination of everything good about classic CV up to that point, and its sequel is the most beloved CV game ever made. Aria of Sorrow is technically a sequel!!!! It's very well-designed, has that classic difficulty without being unfair, has multiple paths and characters for replay value, and even got a faithful remake. Rondo is fairly timeless; you didn't have to grow up with it to appreciate it.

Sonic CD was kind of a sidestep from Sonic 1 and 2; Sonic 3&K better fits the Rondo bill.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Forces is the blandest game I’ve played in the past few years. The Sonics that are technically worse are at least interesting due to their shittiness.

TOGETHER

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pigbuster posted:

It's so good. I genuinely loved Forces' story, it tried to be serious but constantly cut itself off at the knees at the same time. It felt like the same brand of corny fun as watching Yugioh.

I never understood the horrors of war until Rainbow Dash was in Sonic Forces.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I am looking forward to Mania Plus, but I really want Forces 2 more. That's my awful story.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Harlock posted:

The game is fun and plays great but man I dont like Stuiopolis and Flying Battery at all. Having them back to back is a bummer too.

Flying Battery Zone is terrible in every game it's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kurtofan posted:

what's new on the sonic front

The movie.