Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

People have been saying Project 2017's trailer has a more serious tone compared to recent Sonic games, but wasn't Lost World pretty serious or have I been misinformed about Lost World's story?

it wasn't really serious at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

going by your posting in this thread you havent grown up in 20 years so good news

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bring back paul shortino

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Augus posted:

I recently found out that the guidebook description where it calls Eggman a “feminist” is apparently a mistranslation of “womanizer” and I’m not sure which is funnier

in japanese the word 'feminist' when referring to a guy is used more to refer to someone who goes easy on women or is soft on them, with the implication that they do it to look good. think opening doors for them, saying you wouldn't hit a woman, etc. good example is in the recent anime akudama drive where a female antagonist is fighting the characters, one of the protagonists doesn't want to hit her and just sort of shoves her to the side, and then another character yells at him to 'stop being such a feminist!'

a closer english word would be 'chivalrous' or 'gentleman,' but in a sort of sarcastic way.

of course even this explanation is still funny because hes 100% up for shooting cream and amy in the head with a giant laser

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, in this case its a pretty reasonable assumption because its such a random thing, not a 'true pure jp vision' thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yeah its definitely in the sonic heroes manual, its right in front of me. its in the ps2 manual specifically, its possible those have different blurbs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a review that mentions dunkey is not one you should take seriously

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its very funny seeing reviews going 'why does this sonic game have a serious plot though??? who is this for'

its one thing to prefer it not having one but you have to be pretty blind to not get that there's a large fanbase of people who do like the serious sonic plots

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

was probably directed to do it to fit the game's tone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that issue is 90% images of his kids (nephew/niece?) standing in their living room

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZearothK posted:

What's up with Frontiers? Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive (at 95%), while every single professional reviewer I've found has been making GBS threads on the game. Are the console releases broken or something or is just that Sonic Team got it right for their fans while missing their critics?
it isnt a sony game where youtubers explain puzzles to you every five seconds

jokes aside the critic reviews really arent that bad. its sitting in the 70s which isnt amazing but is a full 20 points above forces.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also all the people who are giving it like 2s and 1s are people who go out of their way to post poo poo like

a lower score is totally fair for it but the people giving it 1s and 2s are just ragebaiting, as proven by the fact that they go out of their way to argue with people about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

“Why is the game with janky graphics and recycled levels and assets getting mediocre critical reviews?”

(If you like it, great, but c’mon.)
last of us ps5 got 9s and 10s tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

10 year olds will think sonic adventure 2 is the coolest poo poo ever until the heat death of the universe i think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

agreed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hatty posted:

When will Surge the Tenrec enter the game canon?
if tangle got mentioned all of the idw cast are probably nebulously canon

grats to mimic the octopus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

big is high as gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6UUhHTHoM

they should have put his sa1 theme song in this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

If he bought on January and sold at DQ Tact's launch, he potentially made 3 to 4 times his investment. Some people are saying that the dumbass bought the stocks under his own name, I'll wait until a full translation's out before I fully believe that, but if it's true, then that could absolutely be the reason he got booted from Balan. Square saw that poo poo, knew police investigations were gonna happen and just tried to minimize how much it'd damage them.

honestly getting arrested for this at all takes some stupidity. Most insider trading is just finding a patsy to buy the stocks for you and then splitting the money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, i dont think its really trying to be 'classier and dignified.' if anything the angle its going for is very anime, its just the anime arc where the characters are going through it a bit emotionally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't you have to be incredibly stupid to even get prosecuted for insider trading even if everyone knows about it?
the incredibly easy workaround is to just tell someone you trust about it, have them invest, and then you split the money. theres no way to prove this unless one of you squeals and even if there's a very obvious pattern and you get the same guy to do it every time there's no evidence you could possibly dig up short of signed notes saying WE ARE DOING A CRIME RIGHT NOW BY THE WAY.

yuji naka is either stupid, has no friends, or wasnt willing to split the money.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inside trade the pain away, my career is in ruins

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how can amy be the worst part of every game shes in shes been in like 2 games in any sort of prominent way

oh no! amy was in sa2 for five minutes! shes ruined it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

list of amy appearances:

sonic cd: is a sprite thats onscreen for 2 seconds
sonic adventure: is kind of boring but is better than big
sa2: is in three cutscenes
sonic heroes: plays the exact same as every other character and her route has less annoying gimmicks than team chaotix's
shadow: is she even in this one
sonic 06: is in like 2 cutscenes
rush: hangs out with blaze once?
boom: its boom
forces: i think she has a line
frontier: is pretty normal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah that era had a lot of lame amy jokes, i dont disagree that she could be pretty annoying in that period, but also she wasnt really around that much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean frontier already took amy in a decent direction imo, you dont need to radically alter the universe every game to just shift characterization. tails and amy got good material in that game that built off their previous stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most sonic hate shadow has been at is probably battle, it isnt much of a thing in sa2 (he always seems mildly bemused/annoyed by their rivalry) and in shadow the hedgehog it only comes up briefly. and i dont think heroes or 06 mention it at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its weird because the games themselves seem less restrictive, somehow. does amy mention her crush on sonic at all in frontiers? i think its acknowledged a couple of times but she never actively acts on it or even behaves like it still exists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Has Sonic ever been horny? Has there ever been a story arc where Sonic is infatuated with someone?
yes but she erased herself from the timeline

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look lets not get into canon ages otherwise we'll have to deal with the fact that sonic was 10 in the genesis games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and with frontier making it very explicit that every previous game was canon for them to have 'canon ages' either sonic adventure 1 happened when they were all like 5 or they've had the worst year imaginable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean sonics always been meant to be a teenager too

not to mention its not like theres anything in the games themselves that make any real point of amy or sonic's ages. im sure its mentioned in a couple manuals but your average fan probably has no idea amy was ever even meant to have a canon age or that it was meant to be younger than sonic's. and im sure most of the actual writers didnt really care or notice it, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the level design in sonic 3 gets way better as it goes, the first level is definitely the worst

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Advance 3 is good. The pre-release ROM broke street date by a mile and you can play as Amy.

amy has an entirely separate sprite set if you pair her with sonic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hrist posted:

Listen, I'm not slow or anything. He wasn't that dark. But he was a dark blue. Like, weirdly dark compared to the Genesis era stuff. I googled the art I was thinking of, and he was still darker on that compared to Modern Sonic. But yeah, the figure I had made him even darker than that. That's why I got confused. I thought they based it on the weird art colors since it was all the same year or so.

that figure just seems abnormally dark, even on the official art sticker you can see that he isnt that much darker

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

I think Tails (and maybe Knuckles in Underground) were the only characters that weren’t altered that much for the cartoons. I never understood why they couldn’t just use Robotnik’s game design either

you only see his ingame sprite pretty briefly and at weird angles, while the american cover art for sonic 2 is basically what the cartoons used. likely just referencing that official art

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

I know it doesn’t matter at all, but every fight in the Puyo Puyo Tetris story mode feels like those Kingdom Hearts cutscene compilations. They include the cutscenes before and after the battle, but not the fight itself. It looks like the characters suddenly became exhausted just from the idea that they’d have to fight.
the fight is the puzzle game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best part of the RPGs puyo puyo spun off from (and radically overtook) is that satan is like, the fakeout final boss that helps you beat the real villain, so when he does so you get everyone going 'thanks, satan,' 'you arent such a bad guy, satan'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a 95 treatment thats different from this one that uhhh

quote:

Eggman then runs into Hal, who reluctantly accepts Eggman's offer to be the park's main research and development designer. Using Hal's XRI technology, Eggman develops a virtual reality ride to draw kids to the newly revived theme park. The park opens to huge crowds, with kids all across town attending opening day. However, when Josh and Sonic manage to inspect the ride, they discover Eggman is using the ride to turn the kids into his Badniks, calling them Kinder-Bots and forcing them to look around the park to find the Chaos Emeralds. After further inspection, the duo discovers that Eggman, using the Chaos Emeralds, will program the XRI to turn the world's natural landmarks, such as Mount Everest and the Amazon rainforest, into digital replicas so that he can make virtual reality experiences and profit off of people wanting to see them, so that they wouldn't have to visit the landmarks themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but what about eggman land