Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Put the blue fur on the arms instead. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

http://imgur.com/J3relFo

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i always liked this redesign for rouge as it takes her from garbage titty lady to the cool spy she's supposed to be

edit: also browsing their deviantart it looks like the person that did this is an official artist for the sonic boom comic now which is great

Holy cow, that design is leagues better

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think of Lost World as sort of what Extreme would've been like. I don't think Extreme would've been particularly good if it were finished, either.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

MikeJF posted:

How about the soundtracks from Sonic 1/2 remastered mobile ports? They were able to find the original sample files used to create the Genesis synth, so it actually sounds crisper than the original (since the sounds were compressed to put them on the chip)(I think that's how it worked?)

The only things that were samples were the drumbeats pretty much. Genesis music is generated by modulating waveforms (FM synth). The remaster might've been from an emulator or a really good recording of a Genesis.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pre-ordered! Apparently if you're Prime, it's :10bux: off.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

You left out one of the best ones:
vidjeo

I don't wanna be that guy, but you might want to :nws: that.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, I know. I just really don't feel like explaining mostly-naked animes popping up on my screen to people.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

beep by grandpa posted:

Now we're talkin :cool:

Side note I made this sick avatar a few weeks ago cause it's unbelievably badass and epic but decided I must stick with my current avatar. There's just too much 'tude in it. Feel free to steal:

Totally stealing this. Thanks!

Macaluso posted:

Polygon has several no commentary videos of the gameplay so far, and they just uploaded a few more of the new zone + Tails gameplay of Studiopolois.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNQw9MROns

:eyepop: :swoon:

That MUSIC

There's a lot of exploring the stage and seeing animations and stuff

That's awesome! Another cancelled level from Sonic 2!

azurite fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 27, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

beep by grandpa posted:

Now you are my internet enemy. Everybody stand back. Nobody try to help me! The last sonic standing will be the winner. glad you like it!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well what do you expect from the hedgehog version of Trunks? Tunks goes back in time, changes the future, goes forward to his own time and defeats the Androids but then gets punked by Cell. Silver won't fare any better.

Could you say, perhaps, that it's no use?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hoping everyone is finishing off their workday red and strong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRo1oNZg_8

Speaking of which, what are everyone's favorite Sonic hacks? I just played through "Sonic 3 Complete." I also really enjoyed "An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack" and "Sonic 2 XL." I'll be sure to check out the one Heran Bago posted above, too. Are there any other notable ones which add welcome polish and ideas to the originals?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I just tried that out. It was surprisingly fun to play two-player in Chaotix mode (bound together). Come to think of it, I'd love if someone hacked/ported Chaotix back to Genesis so I'd never have to plug in my 32X again.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanks for the suggestions! Really blown away by these. The fact that all of the ones I tried work on a real Genesis is great too.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I saw someone comment on the Sonic Facebook about the same thing. That really would be great.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Heran Bago posted:

You're right. Here's sad Knuckles Chaotix on piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f24FdWwN1qI

Also good mashup dude.

Weary and forlorn, Knuckles shambled along the rainy streets of Carnival Island. A glow caught his eye, and his gaze rose up to meet it. "Attraction Information," the sign read. The downpour stung his bloodshot eyes, and he heaved a sigh. Knuckles wondered to himself how many more times he had to walk the strip before he and his friends could be reunited. He had no choice, he had to press on, for their sake. He trudged his way into a sheltered booth, taking refuge from the intensifying weather. Once inside, the booth emitted a blinding spotlight, illuminating a claw far overhead. Knuckles wistfully stared into a pit where the claw was descending. After what felt like a lifetime, the claw retracted from the pit, carrying a capsule with it. The claw dropped the capsule, which slammed onto the concrete with a crash, where it then sat. Knuckles held his breath. Suddenly, the capsule generated a deafening whir. It gyrated and groaned, and finally, a cloud of steam bellowed out from within. A tall, slender figure emerged from the cloud. Knuckles eagerly jumped from the booth.

"Vector!" Knuckles exclaimed, colliding into a strong embrace.

"Good to see you again, buddy!" Vector released him, and they stood, beaming at each other.

"How long has it been, three levels? Four? I'm going as fast as I can!" Knuckles choked through his tears.

"Hey Knux, I know you're not known for chuckles, but buck up! You've gotta flex your muscles!"

"You're right, man. Let's go. We've got to get moving if we want to get out of here." Knuckles said, starting into a jog.

The reunited pair ran off into the night, bound together by a tether as strong as their friendship.

EDIT: Quick and dirty reading with musical accompaniment. Sorry, thread.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1uf2Sl2XvvU

azurite fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 15, 2017

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Macaluso posted:

He wrote and drew his own comic called Diesel that I think has sold pretty well

Per his Tumblr, it's on sale on Amazon. I just ordered a copy because I really liked Sonic Mega Drive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608869075/

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

:drat:

That is a much more satisfying answer to that question.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sunset Park with the train set piece would also be great.

Yessss. I nearly forgot there's a treasure trove of stuff from the SMS/GG games.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I have quite a few games that don't work with controllers unless they're Xbox controllers. However, there is software out there which makes PS4 controllers work like Xbox ones.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, that's probably around when the comic jumped the shark.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm hoping for Nack, too.

E: Bubsy would be great, though.
"WHAT COULD PAAAWSSIBLY GO WROOONG?!"

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kikas posted:

I haven't seen a thread for it, but that Spark game reminded me of a thing I NEVER got right in Sonic games either and it's the loops.

What are you supposed to do to keep momentum? I run at maximum speed, then hit a loop, get a quarter of the way up and it's all gone. I stop, roll down it and stop. Am I supposed to hold right? UP? JUMP? I have no clue and loops have been the bane of my existance in 2D Sonic games since forever.

Wait till you hear about the barrel in Sonic 3!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was hoping for Sonic 3-style cutscenes, but I like hand-drawn animation even more. They're both good, as far as I'm concerned.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If they released it when they originally said, they would've had to split it into two games. The latter would be a standalone DLC with Lock-On Technology.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

D'oh. Is Mega Drive done too?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sonic 3 and Knuckles were originally supposed to be one huge game, but were separated due to time constraints. Sonic 3 Complete combines them, adds some fixes and features, and tries to emulate what the devs originally intended. It gives you the option to use level ordering from prototypes and whatnot.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I played through with the old Sonic 2 character sprites and highly recommend it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Schwarzwald posted:

What's the current preferred Genesis emulator?

Genesis Plus GX, probably, though it's usually bundled in with Retroarch and Bizhawk instead of being standalone.

Fusion was the best all-around for a long time (SMS-GEN-CD-32X), but it hasn't been updated in forever.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nostalgamus posted:

I'm trying to find out which emulator to use for Sonic 3 Complete, any recommendations?

You'll probably want Retroarch or Bizhawk (both include Genesis Plus GX). Fusion is also a good option.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does sonic 3 complete run on real hardware or just in an emulator?

It works on real hardware, too. I played through it with an Everdrive and had zero issues.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sonic Mania makes me wish there was a proper 2D Sonic for the Saturn. Xtreme/3D Blast were such blunders on so many levels.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't think Sonic 3D was bad necessarily. I just don't consider it a proper Sonic game. It certainly wasn't what Sega needed at the time to beat the competition, either.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I had the opportunity to play Sonic Mania today at E3 and had to brag. We had the choice between Green Hill and Mirage Saloon as any of the three characters. I chose GHZ as Sonic. My sister did Mirage Saloon as Knuckles.

It's great, you guys. The GHZ act 2 boss is well-done. My sister really enjoyed the theme of Mirage Saloon. Just like we hoped, it feels like a proper classic Sonic game.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Gammatron 64 posted:

It actually surprises people when I tell them I've never played Sonic '06 but I just don't want to pay over $5 for it. It's like $20 on Amazon and I just dunno if I can justify it.

Even after taking into account the current asking prices, sideshow novelty, or even actual merit the game may offer, $20 is way too much. Even though it may appear so-bad-it's-good, it's straight up unfun dealing with all the problems it has. I spent $11 and still regret it. Go watch a Youtube funnyman play it and have a nice time.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Antoine doesn't seem to be based on any of them in particular. Also, apparently he's a Coyote, which is weird because they don't have Coyotes in France. Maybe he's French-Canadian.

Besides his colors, he does kinda look like a mountie.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm doing Bubsy or Nack, as we originally projected.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Been thinking about Sonic today. YouTube Music filled my "offline mixtape" with Sonic remixes, and I felt the need to go fast. So I went to the park, strapped on my rollerblades and spent an hour cruising around the rink, skating to great tunes, and thinking about how great Sonic Mania is going to be.

I hope you all had a great day, and that maybe you had a chance to feel the sunshine and forget about the rain.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

And with that, they have to preserve the requirement that you maintain speed and pray to god you don't slow down while the sign flashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Looks like the YYH game was on a disc full of a bunch of Sega Channel stuff. The YYH ROM was probably a dump of a dev cart that Crackers was previously on. It's kind of like how recording over a part of a tape leaves some previous contents left over if you don't record over the whole thing.