Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I always have really fond memories of Pyramid Cave for whatever reason. I think it's a combination of the :krad: music and the bounce bracelet being fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I maintain that if they just subbed in Knuckles for the werehog then it would get about 35% less hate.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Onmi posted:

From the latest Sonic comic.

The "I found you, faker" at the top is even in SA2 font. :perfect:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

hey

Sonic Triple Trouble is

passable

Look it has Nack in it

I liked Tails Adventure but I'm also a broken human being so

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I liked that stage because it had awesome music and neat gimmicks. The badnik placement is Dark Souls before Dark Souls, though.

One act too many, though. :(

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The US boss music is extremely good, but is so incredibly out of character for Sonic the Hedgehog, much less for a game with such weird, easy bosses.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Um, it adds Chao Karate??? That's about as integral as you can get.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I can't remember particulars of acts, so I cannot in good conscience answer the first half of your post. I am sorry.

Sonic Adventure 1- Sky Deck. It's just a glitchy mess for every character that has to play through it.
Sonic Adventure 2- I never cared for Hidden Base. Honorary mention to Sand Ocean the first time you go through it pre-hover.
Sonic 2006 (not counting sidequests)- Silver's Dusty Dunes.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Augus posted:

I don't see how either of those enemies are even remotely comparable to what he was talking about there.

please explain to me the depth and complexity of Boost Sonic's movement that I've apparently been overlooking.
"It's a score attack game" is a pretty weak excuse. When have Sonic games not had a score attack element to them? They've literally always had a score indicator and gave you rewards for getting points. Finding secrets and different paths through the stage and trying to get through fast sounds like stuff I did in the 2D games except more and better.

So like have you not played Generations or what

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i am

f u c k i n g

MY.

OWN. ancestors

I have

No

rear end

WOAH

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I can't wait for websites to review it, call it too short and non-"evolutionary" for the series, and give it a 7.5.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Part of me prefers the unleashed levels just because the scope and landscapes are sometimes really stunning. Like that part of rooftop run where you start grinding downwards and see tons of buildings and streets everywhere.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My favorite Sonic 1 badnik are the armadillo dudes in spring yard that roll after you.

Sonic 2... probably grounder. He's p good.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles would have to go to the fake spikes, just because bouncing on them is really fun.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

:yeah:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

ColdPie posted:

I'm always confused when "MJ did Sonic 3!" videos say the end credits song is the most obvious tip-off when CNZ straight up has a whole recognizable phrase from Jam. I even noticed that as a kid. The end credits song's association with Stranger in Moscow is pretty loose, in my opinion.

I have his whole discog on my phone. If you want some sweet deep cuts, check out "Whatever Happens" and "2000 Watts," both from his last album.

You have to slow down the credits for the similarties to really shine. The breakdown part from Carnival Night is definitely the single biggest giveaway, but to me Stranger in Moscow is the most "complete" rework.

E: Siivagunner to the rescue :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38q9ALx7imI

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Zelder posted:

My alarm ringtone is the sonic 2 boss music and I enjoy starting every morning in a panic daze

Better than the drowning music.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, almost anything in that blank. I'm pretty sure the response to "Does it have the game-crashing bug where you spin as you exit Labyrinth Zone causing the camera to go too low and an error handler to pop up?" will be "What? No. What?!"

I hope they have the bug from Marble Zone where you jump on a moving block and Sonic just leaps up in his walking animation.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Polygon, your video content is usually pretty great, why do you repay me with your trash writing

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Lol Gies says in the interview that he had to start up a "second game" to figure out how to change characters

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Is there a ROLLING STAAAAAAAAART reference though? If not, game is trash, 4/10.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The death that made me laugh the hardest in my first go-around was the Oil Ocean boss that shoots you up into a bed of ceiling spikes.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

A perfect pile OF poo poo.

:thurman:

I'll make you eat those words!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

They really could have just done more teleportation/ dimensional trickery like the first two zones. It's weird.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrxL_nbbDA

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It's no Sonic Eraser music, that's for sure.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

That new track slaps.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yes, please save yourself some heartache and use Fusion's Chao Editor. I replayed both Adventures a while back, raised one chao legit enough, then ported it to the other game just to revel in the glory of a god chao.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sonic R is a stupid, unbalanced, broken game, but I'll be damned if I don't have fun every time I play it.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm just bummed because I really dig the aesthetic and atmosphere of Forces. It seems like a really nice mix of edgy/campy in the best SA2/ Unleashed way possible, the graphics look nice, and the music is extremely my poo poo, but it's all wasted on this miasma of mediocre-sounding gameplay and lack of effort in any non-artistic part of the game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

Did the Steam version patch fix the problems it had?

No, unfortunately it still causes you to download Sonic Forces.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Sonic Mania is (from what little I've played) a fun Sonic game in the style of the original trilogy of games. The problems arise when they distance themselves from that.

A potential Mania sequel that doesn't remember that we're there for stuff from 1-3&K is gonna suck, though.

Actually, the best zones in Mania were the ones with brand new trappings and concepts that was a perfect evolution of the previous game.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I REALLY think that Sega would avoid any YouTube celebrities after about half of them Milkshake Duck'd the world in the past few years.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

GUI posted:

I finished Mania yesterday and now I'm trying to find the rest of the emeralds for the true ending and I wish they'd had found a better way to be able to get them since having to slowly explore the levels to find the giant rings kind of goes against the game's nature.
Unless there's obvious hints about where they're located that I've missed so far.

You can just loop an easy zone over and over, but that's lame. Try new routes! Taking the "hard" path to get to usually leads to a reward.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ristar should have been in.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I reckon Triple Trouble holds up better than Chaos on average, it has Sunset Park and Robotnik Winter for one thing. The rest is accurate, although I have a soft spot for Sonic 2, not least because it has my favourite level openers from all Sonic games, and I'm sad that the idea of an opening jingle and zone-specific artwork never really got revisited.

Blast is absolute trash, it is a strong contender for worst Sonic game in existence, even on a system that had Sonic Labyrinth.

S2 has the absolutely impossible level 1 boss on GG so that puts it near the bottom for me.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Best exploration in the series was finding alternate routes for the emeralds in Sonic R.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Heroes rails were dumb if only because there's no way that constantly jumping around 180° repeatedly like a weirdo would actually generate forward momentum.

You only need to do it once and then hold B. :ssh:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sonic R 2 would be actually really fun if the right team handled it. Better character balance, making levels vertical enough where aspects other than speed matter, and more stages would be pretty darn okay.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Seriously, what the hell, finding 3 emeralds in a level that takes 3 minutes to traverse is worlds better than having to seek out 50 artificial chaos across a 10 minute stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Does anyone have the link to that actually good Sonic Adventure 2 plot video? Searching that phrase on YouTube leads to a looooot of crap.