Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

azurite posted:

Speaking of which, what are everyone's favorite Sonic hacks? I just played through "Sonic 3 Complete." I also really enjoyed "An Ordinary Sonic ROM Hack" and "Sonic 2 XL." I'll be sure to check out the one Heran Bago posted above, too. Are there any other notable ones which add welcome polish and ideas to the originals?

Sonic Classic Heroes is very good. The primary gimmick is that you control three characters and can switch between them, but it also combines Sonic 1 and 2 into one game and adds in the Chaotix as they existed in Knuckles Chaotix. Also also it's super configurable, you could use it to just play as Charmy through Sonic 1 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Seriously, why do some fans seem to think that just calling a game Sonic Adventure 3 would automatically make it good (hell, '06 is already basically SA3 in all but name and look how that turned out)?

I just want an updated Chao Garden.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I don't understand why anyone would want to play as someone other than Sonic, Tails and or Knuckles

Mighty deserves to be in a game again :colbert:

Emong
May 31, 2011

Armadillos are way cooler than hedgehogs.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

the theme song to Sonic Forces is about how Sonic and your OC are best friends

I didn't need a song to tell me that :colbert:

Emong
May 31, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Whatever happened to Crush 40 anyway? I loved those guys. :(

Johnny was at TooManyGames in Philly the weekend before last. So still around, just apparently not doing Sonic games right now.

Emong
May 31, 2011

I feel real dumb because I haven't seen a giant ring since Green Hill and I just beat Flying Battery. Also I failed the one I did find :saddowns:

Emong
May 31, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

How do you do the drop dash?

Hold down and jump in the air.

Emong
May 31, 2011

wuggles posted:

Finished my first run! Excellent game. Time to go hunt for some Chaos Emeralds. Question: is there more than one emerald in a single act?

Guy on Neogaf said he got all the Emeralds by CPZ1.

Emong
May 31, 2011

VJeff posted:

I've beaten the game, I only have two emeralds and I have no idea how to find more giant rings. These stages are so motherfucking huge.

I'm finding a lot more of them going through as Knuckles.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Maybe I'm just tired, but there's something which is making this game incredibly frustrating instead of fun. Or maybe it's lots of little things.

The only sonic game I've played is the original on the sega mega drive. I played that thing to death, every level umpteen times. I can't quite put my finger on all the underlying differences that are bothering me. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Everyone else seems to be having a blast, it'd be a shame if it didn't click for me.

Original Sonic's level design is much more platforming based, and doesn't give you as many opportunities to just go fast for a bit. Mania's level design is more like Sonic 3, so that might be it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Like one hot lazy summer day I thought to myself, you know I want to play a Sonic game and the only console I have with me is my Wii U. Lost Worlds looks pretty cool with its ripping off Mario Galaxy aesthetic so let's check it out

Oh no

It's much better on PC with the mod that changes Sonic to his Sonic R model and replaces all the music with Sonic R music.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Oil Ocean is legitimately my favorite Zone in Sonic 2. Although Wing Fortress is up there.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Mans aren't continues.

You can only get continues in a no save file, and I believe they're only obtainable in Special Stages by getting the Mach Bonus or a certain amount of points.

10000 points in a Special Stage specifically. Mach Bonus is just the easiest way to do that.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Hrist posted:

At this point I was sitting here ready to have fun with an okay at worst game in the Generations style. But that Modern Sonic demo footage of the bots that don't even do anything, and just expect you to boost past them really let me down.

I mean, that's basically what most enemies in the Modern Green Hill in Generations do.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It will almost certainly be a bad game. I think most people came to terms with that as soon as it was announced.

The real question is, will we enjoy playing it?

I will play and enjoy Forces, as I have many Sonic games in the past.

Emong
May 31, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hot take: Sonic Mania was never good and we were only tricked into thinking it was a good game because Forces looked so much worse

Both Forces and Mania are fun and enjoyable games.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

can anyone explain the SOS missions to me? sometimes i get to the end and its a success, sometimes i get to the end and its a failure, and i cant tell what causes the difference

If you're playing as one of the Sonics you need to find the Avatar trapped in the stage in order to succeed.

Emong
May 31, 2011

OC dressup is fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Emong
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Super Sonic isn't in yet. All the patch did was add support for his eventual inclusion.

If anyone's curious SteamDB lists 3 unreleased DLCs for Forces. One of them is probably Super Sonic, but who knows what the other two are.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Good.

Emong
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

How do you get the blue version of that bodysuit?

It's one of the speedrun missions for Modern Sonic. I forget which one exactly, though.

Emong
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

craaaaap.

Guess my Mecha Sonic facsimile is staying red for the time being.

It's really not that hard! I got most of them after like one or two tries.

Emong
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I've been smashing my head against Classic Sonic in Ghost Town for several days.

Modern Sonic is way easier than Classic. I've done all the Modern ones and I can't touch Classic.

Emong
May 31, 2011

John Lee posted:

Alright, I think we can help each other: You can unlock the insta-shield for use in Mania.

...Now time for you to help me: Tell me what it does, because I never figured it out.

quick edit: We're talking about the little visual burst you can get by pressing a button while jumping, right?

It makes you invincible for a split second and gives you a bigger hitbox for your attack.

Emong
May 31, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Source? I can't find a news report about it.

The Switch version has it listed as free until the 24th of January.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Flytrap posted:

I meant more in how going faster interacts with the sloppy level design. I can't help but imagine that SS is more of a hindrance here since you'll be crashing into walls forever.

Much like Generations Super is only slightly faster than normal Sonic. The big thing is unlimited boost.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

gently caress that, Tee was good, but he can't match Sonic 3's soundtrack.

I kinda doubt Sonic 3 will ever be released again with the original music, so it doesn't really matter.

Emong
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Look on the bright side, they're adding the worst Chaotix member as a playable character.

I'm glad that Charmy Bee is getting some recognition.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Turns out there's a code that gives you all gold medals from Blue Sphere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kOYRdAmWz0

Thank gently caress I never have to see it in Mania mode again.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Is that why bonus stages are now pinball in Mania Mode?

I mean, if unlocking all gold medals removes blue sphere from Mania Mode, then I can see why a Blue Sphere hater would use the cheat.

Pretty much. If you have all gold medals Blue Sphere doesn't show up at all unless you specifically choose to play it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Make it work with Sonic 3 Complete and it would be the definitive way to play.:pray:

A lot of the options from S3 Complete look like they're built in.

Emong
May 31, 2011

MJeff posted:

How many 3D blast tracks went on to be used in SA1? I feel like it's a lot.

Senoue reused a lot of them because Japan didn't get a version of 3D Blast that used his soundtrack.

Emong
May 31, 2011

I would have really enjoyed Forces if they cut the classic Sonic stages and doubled the length of the rest of them

Emong
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do you play it? Through GZDoom?

SRB2 and SRB2 Kart are "on the doom engine" only in a very loose sense. It started with a doom source port and has undergone 20 years of sonicification.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

People are really upset about this. Does it really matter?

It sucks for the Genesis games because you lose Steam Workshop support and a legal way to get the ROMs.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

As I started thinking about Shadow as Vegeta, I turned to google to see if anyone has done the first thing that came to mind when that connection was made:

https://twitter.com/sanicbaddie/status/1285514046003982337?s=20&t=bYK36vTb_Sf-tqdSlzWqJA

Thanks to the magic of modding you can even play SA2 with this:
https://gamebanana.com/mods/245344

Emong
May 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

So aside from widescreen support do we know if anything new’s being added to 3K like was the case with the other Whitehead remakes?

Way back when the mobile ports were new there was some talk of expanding the multiplayer stages into full single act zones, but that was years ago and nothing's been said about new stuff for Origins that I'm aware of.

Emong
May 31, 2011

It's me, I'm the person whose favorite stage in Sonic 2 is Oil Ocean and I'm not ashamed :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

The big thing is that Battle hosed up a lot of the sound mixing, but there's a mod to fix that for the PC version.