Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

This is exquisite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jarogue posted:

Here is how some of the other animals look

Looks like 3 cats and Rabbortan Joe?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Red example OC is wolf, it magentizes rings in the gameplay video. Maybe the yellow one is the Dog?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A Meme.

I love Sonic Boom Sonic glaring angrily at the back of Classic Sonic's head.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You could also cheese the hell out of Sonic Rush's special stages by pausing, then moving the Stylus.

Also I will forever hate the Sonic Heroes special stages because there's one emerald I never got, and the one time I got close shadow somehow dropped half a centimeter, got stuck inside of the tube, and then started running backwards at mach 5 as the collision detection tried to eject him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

and a bunch of challenge missions, and each zone had classic and modern versions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ronnie posted:

I adore S&K3 but hearing the invincibility theme on loop was madness.

At least it's better than vanilla sonic 3's invincibility loop.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I would probably regard sonic 4 more kindly if it didn't have a soundfont designed to be as terrible as possible.

I wouldn't regard it well though, it's way too obsessed with it's own gimmicks, but I could at least watch a video of it without cringing in pain.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

According to Tyson Hesse's twitter account, it was Anthony Holden's idea to do the animated trailer.

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/869612913027194881

???

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

All of Sonic 4's songs felt like they were only 1/3 complete as well.

The boss desperation music has a 15 second loop.

Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Counterpoint: Sonic Jam, no not that one, the other one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Do 2. Do 2006. :getin:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pyrocat posted:

I remember enjoying them as a kid. I was 100% down with the Knuckles spin off and always wanted to hear more about the history of Mobius. I've been meaning to get around to picking them up again. Should I start from the beginning or skip ahead to when it changes writers?

I have some bad news for you, friend. Basically all of that history, and the Knuckles spin off and all of the Echidnas therin, are straight from the mind of Penders. Flynn did some good work with that stuff once he got the reigns but eventually they had to scuttle all of it.

Mr President posted:

One thing really bothering me about sonic mania is that it has that chunky pixilated look that alot of genesis games had back in the day. I don't understand why they didn't go with the smooth, less pixilated look of Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix which is far superior. Were they just trying to be retro for the sake of retro?
This is someone else's image but I took the liberty of adding the Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD sprite to the end of it.

They're the same size, It's just Knuckles has more colors to play with. Which they are doing with mania. But they're still just as pixellated. If anything Mania is still smoother than Sonic 3 (a little bit, on the spines).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm right there with you, I much prefer 3's sprites.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think S3&K's death egg zone is probably the best place to be in terms of Gimmicks, in that most of them in act 1 are flashy traversal methods, the only one that isn't is the engine room thing and they ease you into that before hand. And Act 2 is just one gimmick by itself with the gravity.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RickDaedalus posted:

This is literally all I know about the Penders era.

And sonic comics in general.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/872946127296897024

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mick and Mack Global Gladiators as a gritty third person cover shooter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cybershell is right on about Mecha Madness being an amazing comic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you're talking about the bit with the red line, no, one of the kids has children but they didn't identify a spouse.

If you're taking about the fact that they re-join after thirteen generations.. :shrug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I still find it absolutely hilarious that Penders' new comic stars Knuckles' daughter, and she's still Knuckles' daughter, but he can't actually say that she is because he doesn't have the rights to Sega characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

every time i see this image i remember that this isn't the first time i've seen it and it reads bottom to top. but never after thinking, "how do edmund and dmitri have kids together"

I was phone posting so I couldn't really see the names, but yeah who the gently caress makes a lineage chart that goes bottom to top?

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't know much about the sonic comix and I was kicking back on this lovely friday evening with a nice big glass of lemonade while enjoying Cybershell's sonic comic video and I almost did a loving spit take at this part so I paused the video and came to post about this here immediately.

What the gently caress is this.

This raises so many more questions about Sonic's eyes than it answers.

I think it's supposed to be light shining on his eyelids/irises and not his internal sub-eyeball glowing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Why would you Timg this, this is like the pinnacle of everything penders. The one guy's bizarrely human mouth, Juli-su thrusting her chest out in terror, Knuckles weird goggle-eyes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

so is this really solely on ken penders' shoulders or does his editor share that blame

This was well into the era where Bollers and Penders were basically siloed off into the A and B stories of their respective issues, and Penders was god-king of his own little universe. I doubt the editor could have convinced him to scratch his own rear end if he didn't want to.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The other 3 people on that couch are trying way too hard to sound excited about things they already know.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually it was Sleuth "Doggy" Dawg which is possibly even sillier.

Flynn did not consider Sleuth to be interesting and eventually retired him. (As in Sleuth literally retired.) And leadership of his gang the Destructix went to the more interesting Fiona Fox.

You mean Tails' girlfriend who was a robot until she suddenly wasn't a robot anymore?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"Guys, this concept art for the main villain looks like someone's terrible OC. Is his name Ravendark Villainsin?"
"OC?"
"Yeah, you know, fan characters? Like Mike the hedgehog?"
"Oh.."
"Dude what's with that look in your eye, what are you doing?"
*months later*
"So here's our player avatar."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

It's Schrodinger's Sonic Game. It both is and isn't Deviantart until the first character starts inexplicably inflating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXsSgzKJ0fY

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You're far too expensive!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure any enjoyment we get out of this comic will be purely occidental as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpWDxc97hJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vZ3b5coZho

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 19, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite was in Radical Train when you trip over a rock, hit the train tracks, and breakdance right along the tracks off into the distance through a wall as you die.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unleashed was the beginning of modern sonic gameplay with a middlingly okay God of War clone stapled to it. But seeing as how I am some kind of hideous mutant who played the Dante's Inferno game I probably regard Unleashed more fondly than most people.

The Wii/PS2 version had issues, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically only the post-SA2 Sonic games I actually like are Colors, Generations, the Sonic & Sega Racing games (do those count?) and to some degree the Sonic Rush games for the music if nothing else. (People complain about the level design in Sonic CD but it's brilliant compared to Advance 2, 3 and the Rush games.)

S&SASRT counts, at least. it's easily one of the best mario kart games in recent memory.

And I can't really defend the Advance game's level design, but whoever their composer was Did his job very well with the soundchip the system gave them.

I mean, they shelled out for the GHZ royalties and everything.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Which one is that? Shadow \ Heroes? I always thought Sonic 2006 or Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric were considered the worst. And I only got Shadow and Heroes because I found them for like $5 each. If I could find 2006 for that price, I would do the same just out of morbid curiosity.

If you're referring to Sonic Unleashed, it certainly wasn't a very good game, but I wouldn't call it the worst. It has good production values and isn't an ugly buggy mess like a lot of Sonic games. It's perfectly functional and does what it means to do, it's just that what it means to do is a pretty boring and tedious game.

If you didn't have to collect those stupid medals and if the Werehog levels weren't so drat long, Sonic Unleashed would actually be a pretty decent game. It wouldn't be spectacular, but it wouldn't be bad anymore.

The Wii version was much worse than the ps360 version, your progression for werehog attacks, health upgrades, energy, etc was fixed, and several of his movements were tied to waggle.

The daytime stages were nowhere near as good, and it didn't have hub worlds or cutscenes, both were replaced with sonic rush style talking heads.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The GBA games were done by a completely different company. They also did the DS/3ds games, and the WiiS2 version of Unleashed.

And Sonic 4 Episodes 1 and 2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Agreed, I don't really know why people lost their poo poo over Mario Kart 8 or whichever one it was that had transforming cars because Racing Transformed already did that poo poo and was awesome. Also the track layouts and characters options don't seem as good in the new Mario Kart series as they are in the Sonic All-Stars series.

We're really overdue for a new installment and I don't know if we're going to get one.

Mario Kart 8 is actually good. So is SASASRT. Both of these facts can be true.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Apparently the entire soundtrack was going to be something on tier with this, but very late in development they lost the rights to all the music they were going to use, and had to make do with sonic midis they found online roughly mapped to the Nintendo DS's default soundfont.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like Orbot and Cubot, but I do miss the vindictive rear end in a top hat nature of Scratch and Grounder. Scratch would kick a baby and laugh about it.

Hahah HaHAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

No

FFS Sonic 3 & Knuckles for iOS/steam/android/etc first

You realize that S3&K for IOS was probably cancelled so he could work on Mania instead. Right?