Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This is all Knuckles fault, what a tool he was, I have to spend all day computing Pi because he plugged in the Overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Fedule posted:

It's solid. It's janky af and the visual glitches are bad but it's well put together conceptually, it's absolutely a proof of concept, it's a whole Kind of Game they can build on, and now they have some time to figure out some art design, they unified almost all the goddamn canon, they established a continuity, they built a good set of basic mechanical ideas, and, my god, if they can keep this musical direction up and deliver a few more bosses like that in the next game it might _actually_ get on a GotY category other than soundtrack (of which it was loving robbed).

But enough about Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Avatar was a groundbreaking movie for the tech being used in it's creation. But the plot was rote tripe white savior nonsense. The tech is now old hat and there's nothing new on display and the plot is "Hey guys did you know that Whaling is bad and the indigenous people are sad about it but don't worry the white savior and his family can stop it."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/gozutrucker69/status/1607817867067789312

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1621571398589366272

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Archie, did anyone ever find out who “Many Hands” was (or if the pen name was literal, what “artists” were part of it)?

All I know is that they’re incredibly lazy (the first special the name appeared in made several excuses to show nothing but blank panels and dialogue balloons for multiple pages)

Many Hands was a generic Alan Smithee that several artists used when they weren't happy with their work but also didn't want to put in the effort it would take to polish the turd.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

Ian Flynn (born May 31, 1982), also known by his Internet pen name Ian Potto, is an American comic book writer. He was chief writer for Archie Comics's Sonic the Hedgehog since issue #160, after the departure of the previous chief writer Ken Penders, till Archie's cancelation on the run at issue #290.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

True, Chaotix has fun ideas and a decent OST but is kind of a slog to get through to be honest (5 acts per zone, many of which are slightly more complex versions of the same level. At least when Colors did something similar they kept a lot of the other acts far more bite sized)

Colors also remixed the track for each of the multiple levels.

If you don't like the Mecha Marina song then I have bad news you're hearing it 5 times.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

the game boy micro devoted a large portion of it's surface area to the screen while maintaining the GBA's aspect ratio.

The GG Micro is trying to maintain the look of the game gear so its wasting like. half it's width on greeblies that are not the screen.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

i'm not a fan of the isometric runner bit at the end but every other part of the game was wonderful.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/ruminoid/status/1656477846095958016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I will never forgive sonic 4 for this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eW6YnKz8jg

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

So if you get all the emeralds with Amy in Sonic 3 and Knuckles you don't get the notice that you can transform into super amy, but you can anyways. When you get all the super emeralds you get the super amy notification and now you can throw hammers with Y while transformed. it's weird.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SatAM was cancelled in 1994 and was a joint production between DiC and the italian studio that made AOSTH, Underground didn't come out till 1999 and was a French produced cartoon, I'm pretty sure DiC's only involvement with it was in that they were the rights holder and did the english dubbing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wikipedia says it was co-produced but it had it's entire run in France before it made it to the UK and then later to the US. So I'm guessing it was one of the first in the slate of France produced cartoons made in france for france by france but funded from the outside. Cause there were a *lot* of those in the 2000s.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://tenor.com/view/sonic-underground-cliff-knuckles-bad-animation-gif-24184349

https://tenor.com/view/sonic-six-feet-underground-sonic-sonic-underground-vinesauce-vinny-gif-18731215

someone else is gonna have to embed them properly i can't just copy the links from discord it seems.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

True, Sonic Underground's US release date would've been right around the release of the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I appreciate the simple humor of Dr Robotnick's Mean bean tetris

Also a game called StarCosmo FoxVulpes

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 14, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Video's up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wzSw2iuk_8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's kind of all over the place, but it goes back as far as 1990. Sega of Japan was mad at Sega of America in general, and Tom Kalinske in specific for cutting the price of the console and including Sonic as a pack-in game even though that's what gave them market dominance. And for developing their own games since SoJ thought that they were clearly superior. In retaliation They were given dummy or straight up faulty dev units for the CD prior to release so they wouldn't 'leak' anything

quote:

Sega of America was not informed of the project details until mid-1991. Despite being provided with preliminary technical documents earlier in the year, the American division was not given a functioning unit to test. According to former executive producer Michael Latham, "When you work at a multinational company, there are things that go well and there are things that don't. They didn't want to send us working Sega CD units. They wanted to send us dummies and not send us the working CD units until the last minute because they were concerned about what we would do with it and if it would leak out. It was very frustrating."

Latham and Sega of America vice president of licensing Shinobu Toyoda assembled a functioning Sega CD by acquiring a ROM for the system and installing it in a dummy unit. The American staff were frustrated by the Sega CD's construction. Former senior producer Scot Bayless said: "[It] was designed with a cheap, consumer-grade audio CD drive, not a CD-ROM. Quite late in the run-up to launch, the quality assurance teams started running into severe problems with many of the units—and when I say severe, I mean units literally bursting into flames. We worked around the clock, trying to catch the failure in-progress, and after about a week we finally realized what was happening." He said the problems were caused by the need for games to use more time-seeking data than the CD drive was designed to provide.

When the Jaguar came out, SoJ forced SoA to develop the 32x despite the fact that Kalinske (correctly) Surmised that the jaguar wouldn't do anything and they could extend the Genesis's life span another year without a gimmicky add-on like the failed CD, but SoJ undermined him.
I think it gets touched on in the Saturn What Happened.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Every time I hear another story from Sega's history it just makes me more and more baffled as to how this company still exists. It's just "And then the executives made the stupidest possible decision..." repeated on an endless loop

The most hilarious thing to me is that after fleeing to America and working with STI to get Sonic 2 created at all (because SOJ was being regressive as hell, and trying to push the Mega-CD) Naka still denied STI access to the Nights engine to make Sonic Extreme. Because americans are apparently only good if Yuji was personally overseeing them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

They should put Mario in Superstars and Sonic in Wonder :colbert:

Elephant sonic?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I mean, you're not wrong. Sonic 2006 would probably be much better received if it were loading off an SSD.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

her transformation is really just... one frame she's normal the next frame she's a giant dragon, huh. And they have her just turn into an indistinct ball of light in order to interact with stage gimmicks?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Is that a Live and Learn rif I hear 👀👀👀👀

Yeah, the second movie had an epic movie version of emerald Hill zone in it's trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure "Event" in nu-tv parlance means it's getting 6 episodes and that's it, not gonna be a second season or anything.