Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sonic Riders is good.

Very good, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I can't tell if that's an intentional parody or just someone's deviantart.

I remember seeing somewhere on SA that there was a character called something like Eclipise the Death but that might have been a fever dream.

Neither.
It's an entirely serious product by a comic industry veteran. :suicide:

Also Eclipse the Darkling is post-reboot so he's a good character.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sonic Generations 3DS is so bad I honestly forgot I had finished it. I'm still not sure if it even exists.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Larryb posted:

To be fair, Lost World starts off ok, then takes a sharp nosedive later on. The fact the game doesn't really explain the controls that well is also a mark against it (I only just recently figured out how to Light Dash with the Hover Wisp for example). The only reason I personally rate it as "ok" is that the 3DS version is much, much worse. In fact, it's the only Sonic game aside from Sonic Labyrinth that I refuse to replay.

What the gently caress, the 3DS version is... better. By a little.

And the first two acts are inexplicably the best 3D Sonic there ever was. Two great levels, and the controls are fantastic. And then the following 98% of the game is sheer trash.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's Ken Penders: The Game.

Username.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hey guys, remember Sonic Crackers? The Chaotix proto?
You know how japan has the whole l/r problem?

It's actually Sonic Clackers.

As in, the toy. Two tethered balls. Much like the gameplay.

It's funny how it took someone stupidly questioning the legitimacy of the game to figure this out. Led to some more interesting discussion also:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=36468

The thread is a fun read, and features a bunch of internet archeology.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Same except it's just Antoine and he's still a lovely French stereotype

Antoine hasn't been lovely for years.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The music is clearly placeholder added by the YouTuber in question,

So placeholdery Tomoya Ohtani confirmed it was his on Twitter.
Which is baffling, since he's usually pretty good.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Very no.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Yo, it kinda resembles Egg Garden Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFHfrfQEbM

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

arinxbig.txt

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sooo did you guys play Sonic Time Twisted? It1s pretty much Sonic Mania before Sonic Mania.

There's a time travel mechanic that actually MAKES SENSE, as in there are only two time periods, they are radically different, and you travel instantly through the signs.
There's 14 emeralds to get, the special stages are probably the best ever, and you can retry them as long as you have lives left, which is HUGE.

And the level design is more like 2/3&K than CD, so it's actually good! Plenty to explore.
Best of all, the physics are pretty faithful! Not perfect, but only a die-hard Sonic fan would notice any differences.

http://gamejolt.com/games/sonic-time-twisted/24775

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBjnwVjA_r0

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

What am I missing?

...Casually skipping to the end of the level by walking through a wall?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Way to be late to the party, losers :smug:

Probably not the same obscure shortcut you're thinking of!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Macaluso posted:

drat this is dope. Shame it never went anywhere

It's really early to say that, given that the author is focusing on Sonic Overture, which is ACTUALLY going to be amazing.

Unless he stealth-cancelled that.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

All Sonic games on 3DS are poo poo, except the ones which are ports obviously.

Uh, the Boom ones might be ok actually.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Actually the pitch was:"let's remake s3&k, package it with the others and add maybe a new zone to sweeten the deal"

And then Iizuka was like "make Mania instead".

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'll never, ever understand how people think SA1 is worse than SA2. It's worse in every single conceivable way and did not make a single improvement upon it's predecessor.

e: Chao Garden was improved, forgot that existed.

ee: :downs:

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 3, 2017

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Augus posted:

I don't see how SA2 is worse than SA2 either.

for real tho yeah SA2 was a big step backwards and set the trend for 3D Sonic sequels for years to come.

God drat it. :doh:

Adventure 2, the one with Shadow, is indeed the bad one.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Augus posted:

I'm mainly talking about gameplay. The game took the weaknesses of SA1 and instead of improving them pushed them front and center. The levels started to be unbearably linear floating roads over a void, platforming was made to be almost non-existent, the alternative playstyles got even worse and took up even more gameplay time. It's less buggy and more polished but instead the core game design is much weaker.

Like, remember how there was a lot of terrain variety and slopes you could spindash off of? Now the levels are just a bunch of half-pipes and corridors strung together by automation and weak platforming.
I mean, they must've done this to lower polygon counts and have better textures, but that's the wrong tradeoff to do.

In terms of Knux, they made the radar worse and the levels bigger, so instead of exploring you're wandering around like a headless chicken for upwards of 40 minutes.

And then they absolutely butchered Gamma's gameplay. The mechs are slower, clunkier, and unfun to play as. They also removed the time mechanic that gave you an incentive to actually combo enemies and go fast through the levels. The levels themselves are also really samey and blocky.

SA2 introduced rails.
SA2 introduced an out-of-place plot and dumb stuff like GUN.
SA2 introduced the levels over bottomless pits model.

SA2 loving sucks.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Unleashed day levels are garbage when compared to Colors and Generations levels.

They are garbage on their own, too.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i saw THZ2 got completely revamped, wtf?

Yeah, it's full of bouncy purple jello now and it owns.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

gee, so funny. grumpy incoherent garbage ranting is the funniest thing ever. these "jokes" are the best posting :geno:

I've found myself looking at playthroughs of some Sonic romhacks and fangames, after not paying them any mind for YEARS. And apparently two of the 'better' fangames are Before the Sequel and After the Sequel? They look fairly nice and they have some really good music, but holy moly the gameplay is pretty bad. Levels going on for way too long and are mostly devoid of any challenge. Or any fun level design. Or anything really interesting in general.

Are there any other fangames or romhacks that might be worth looking into?

Play Time Twisted. Do it.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Agreed, but it has the same problems as BTS and ATS.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

"Sonic CD is ugly"

That's why we don't have anything that's even remotely as aesthetically original as Sonic CD.

This is cluttered as hell. And the colors are too harsh.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Listen, I love me some Sonic R and 3D Blast (Mega Drive/the Good version), but Chaotix is just dire. It might actually be worse than Sonic 4.
Sonic 4 is horribly designed, but I'm not sure Chaotix HAS any level design.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

It also feels woefully unfinished and just kind of ends.

I think it boils down to if you're willing to stomach the boredom of Chaotix or getting kicked in the balls with steel-toed boots which is Sonic 4. I'll take the really shallow, boring game in that case

Eh, I'm of the "bad is worse than boring" school of thought. But at least the beast parts of Chaotix (the music) can be experienced without actually playing the game. I don't think Sonic 4 has any parts that can be qualified as "good".

e:

Evil Eagle posted:

Here's the good stuff

This is my jam.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i havent ever played sonic 4 but ive always liked mad gear's music

Actually, I take it back. Given competent remixes, Sonic 4's music is actually very good.

Bettter than anything on Forces that's for sure.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I think I fell asleep during the sky chase remake poo poo.

Oh, you didn't play Sky Fortress Act 2? It's the highlight of Sonic 4 as a whole, and possibly even Good.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

When this became Scrap Brain Master System version I CLAPPED!
Speaking of SRB2, you guys should check out SUGOI and its sequel SUBARASHII. They're massive collabs with a ton of levels and creative nonsense using impressive technology, as well as being pretty much the only things that use slopes, since those were recent additions.
They have very, very silly plotlines too.

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41903
http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=42837

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic Robo Blast 2 is awesome. 3D sonic with tons of fun exploration but you can go fast if you want too.

Have a cooler IL speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksZ6hi85Pf8

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

hey I was just posting my own crappy video. That one is insane though, I'd like to see the first person version.

Ah, sorry :v:
Still, top-level SRB2 is insane to watch.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

*sprinkles holy water in your direction and speaks incantations as your body vaporizes*

I've got some garlic, holy salt, and a wooden stake, need help?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Sky Chase is both the worst zone in the classic games and the worst zone in Sonic Adventure.

In Adventure's Act 1 you can even chill in a corner of the screen and you'll win by doing absolutely nothing.

e: Marble Zone and Labyrinth are cool and good zones that would be cooler and gooder in Mania.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Aahhahaa, whoever this person is, they're great

Oh you sweet summer child.

Dive deep into the Great Internet Meme Engine that is SiIvagunner.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I saw the full list of returning levels.

Nice choices.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

gently caress you, worm Sonic. gently caress you and your LIES!!!!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Is that fukkin Lava Reef?

Yes. Zones that are also returning:

-----------Hydrocity
---------------Oil Ocean
--------------Metallic Madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012