Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

This is like the 4th time I've seen those images this week and they still don't make any more sense :psyduck:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Also a lot of variety through the (mostly) optional missions. Which could have been resolved better than "YOU'D BETTER DO THOSE OR ELSE PROGRESSION STOPS", but it wasn't too offensive.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Starlight Carnival Act 1

Seconding this, it's also a travesty that the 3DS version of Generations got Starlight Carnival, not the PC/PS3 one :argh:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Xad posted:

Oh, absolutely! The only level from Unleashed I'm not a huge fan of is the ice one, but that's mostly just because it has ice sled sections.

That level is significantly better in the Generations mod than it was in Unleashed.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Amppelix posted:

Green Hill Paradise appears to just be a custom level for Sonic GDK, which is a sonic game engine based on Unreal Engine. It's got tons of levels, although maybe none as high quality as this. But those physics definitely are nothing new on the fangame scene, this thing has existed since at least 2012.

I am kinda torn on the quality of the level design, on one hand, it's nice, big and has a lot of nooks and crannies, and yet it does feel a bit unwieldy and janky as places. Falling off a ramp usually means coming to a dead stop in some place you've already been, only now you're in a hole with only Spindash to build up more speed. I'd rather have the game kill me at that point.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey all I'm just laying here looking at the sky thinking about my life, my loved ones and of course Sonic Mania and I had a couple of ideas I wanted to run past you guys.

How do we feel about sonic 3 style level transitions? I always liked its seamless act 1 > 2 zone transition as well as a 10 second cutscene showing how you get from place to place, but a lot of you Sonic 2 puritans out there don't seem to keen on it.

Secondly this is the first time I've thought about this ever but what if there were modern era 16-bit level de-makes of, say, Eggmanland (Sonic Unleashed) or Tropical Resort (Sonic Colors) in Sonic Mania. How fuckin sick would that be.

This is something where Freedom Planet hit the nail right on the loving head, it's so nice to breeze through an area seemlessly.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Yeah but the fun is hidden behind a layer of poorly implemented and poorly explained spindash and parkour mechanics, which is really baffling.

I mean I finished it, and had some sort of fun in the meantime, but all the time there was this uneasiness in the back of my head going "am I even playing the game correctly?".

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah I really don't get the colour powers in SLW. They just pop up at confusing random.

I still have no idea what's the advantage of actually keeping with the Rhythm Wisp Power as opposed to just mashing the buttons.

Erata posted:

This is a good list and my favorite part of 06 is when you have to play as all of your friends to gather the Dragonballs together and revive Goku.

But what awbout the Time Dimensions that suck the fun out of you?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Shindragon posted:

Beep, I like you. But no. His world and what not is catchy I will give you that. That is the only good thing about 06.

Everything else can go back to the fire tornado wreck.

Have to agree - Sonic 06 is flawed at the very core, and it's only made worse by the fact it's so rushed, the Demo used a later build for Kingdom Valley than the release.

Still. Sonic 06 is the Adventure 3 we deserved.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

beep by grandpa posted:

I still watch that one famous game grumps vid every once in a while and it's always funny. The part where they game over and it dawns on them they have to start from scratch because they didn't know they had to manually save the game is really funny too

What I said about 06's story, I dunno, I kinda want to expand on it but you all made me feel embarrassed now :(

Please do expand. And if you want to watch more funny Sonic 06 LPs, watch Pokecapn and his crew suffer through the game. That Radical Train is something that has to be experienced.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Dresh posted:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/09/the-creative-director-of-sonic-boom-fire-ice-speaks-out-on-changes-over-shattered-crystal/

Interview with the creative director of Fire & Ice. He emphasizes that they tried to make this title a lot speedier than the last, and I definitely got that sense from playing the demo. I guess it could still fall apart in the late game, but after a year long delay to polish I think it'll wind up being pretty fun overall.

Whoa, there's a demo? For the 3DS?
Gotta get on this fast.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

beep by grandpa posted:

It took me a very long time to kill the big red monster boss at the end of the game because the multi-lock on mechanic which was required to damage him was never explained or required ever in the game. I think I may have had to look it up online :negative:

Same here, it was a pretty embarassing battle to witness and I was playing it with noone watching.

ninjewtsu posted:

I have never played a 3D sonic game with controls that didn't give me a heart attack every 3 minutes because the character on screen abruptly went flying off in a direction I barely intended them to turn towards, often off a cliff

Shadow the hedgehog was easily the worst in this regard, and sonic 06 was exceptionally bad, but the adventures definitely had this happen constantly too

I'm not sure how well the unleashed/colors/generations controls were, because I did not own any consoles those were on for a very long time

You'd love Heroes. Also Sonic 06 controls were WAY worse than in Shadow. At least in Shadow it was a pretty consistent shittiness, while in 06 every time you switch characters, it changes, and there are problems with every character. Plus the controls get worse due to the physics.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Dresh posted:

^Actually the multi-targeting is explained, I believe near the start of the game when you encounter the giant pink Caterkillers. Can't blame anyone for missing it though, and even that didn't help me against Zavok because once I reached him I didn't realize just how many target reticules I could trigger at once so I kept attacking before it was actually maxed out. So in my case I had to watch a video to see the proper execution of the strategy I was already using.

Oh boy, :words: inbound!

-Lost World's biggest sin is probably that it didn't build off the boost based gameplay of its predecessors, which immediately turned some people off
-For the first time in the series it had a run button, which I pretty much just kept held down the entire time. I always thought the game would have better benefited from a walk button instead.
-Parkour felt really weird, and was tied to having the run button held down. It always felt like it took a bit too long to start up and things like wall running never seemed to have much speed so I kept feeling like I was about to fall off at any moment. Again, I think a better implementation would have been auto-parkour which could be disabled by holding down a walk button.
-In-game tutorials were horribly implemented. Literally every Sonic game prior to this had explanations scattered about the field which a player could trigger by touching and listening to the voice actor's explanation. In Lost World all the tutorials are a brief pop up on the GamePad that the player needs to notice, stop, and touch. And if you run past the area that triggered the pop up then you won't be able to read anymore unless you can turn around and walk back. This issue leads directly into the next point...
-The controls are very complex, moreso than most other Sonic games. You have two jump buttons, both of which do a double jump, except one of them is used for the homing attack if enemies are nearby. It would have been more intuitive if one always did a jump dash/homing attack and the other always did a double jump. Then you have the run button, the parkour, spindashing, kicking, multi-targeting, wisps; the control scheme is very complex and as per the previous point the game fails miserably at explaining its mechanics to the player.
-The spindash is weird for any seasoned Sonic player. Spindashes are supposed to be based on inertia, but in Lost World it's the fastest way to move around which I never even realized until I saw it in some gameplay vids.

And the crazy thing is, at the end of the day I actually enjoy Lost World. It's complex, and the parkour feels weird, but for the most part the game plays the way it's supposed to and the player just needs to know what they hell they're doing. It's flawed, and I'm confident 2017 will return to the boost gameplay, but I definitely don't think it's one of the "bad" Sonic games.

On PC, if you touched a hint thingy and clicked accidentaly, there was no way to open it again :v: Or I never found one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Spergatory posted:

Whatever else goes wrong with Sonic, at least the music is pretty :krad:. The Lost World soundtrack has violins for days. Hell, even 06 had a lot of great music. Aquatic Base is the best song featuring a robotic woman concerned about her email that I've ever heard.

Or, at least it usually is. I haven't heard much about Boom's soundtrack. Is it any good, or is it as painfully generic and undercooked as the rest of the game?

it's a Jak and Daxter soundtrack. No buttrock.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

THe loving jazzy werehog battle theme song is atrocious tho

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Mikedawson posted:

I don't know whether I love it or hate it for making a reference to the "home alone on a friday night" meme.

I love it exactly for that :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Onmi posted:

From the latest Sonic comic.

Now the question is, are they taking a piss out of Shadow, or is it actually Scourge?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Spergatory posted:

Knuckles' theme goes with pretty much anything.
https://youtu.be/9xnYxWa2So8

And I do mean anything.
https://youtu.be/u7rTzaMtpWc

Where's the Space Jam Remix?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Yeah, the "2 regular Sonic stages and 2 gimmick acts" of Colors, topped off with a boss, was pretty good. Shame it was a Wii exclusive and I had to play the inferior, Dolphin version.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

The PS2 and PC version never had such issues for me, maybe that's why I actually enjoyed Heroes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Happy Birthday!
:toot: Sonic 06 is 10 years old today :toot:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_f6kzLBEc

Give these guys the Sonic writing job please Sega thanks.

Knuckles taking out the gun out of Shadow's hands was the highlight for me :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

He didn't paint his arms blue :perfect:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

VikingofRock posted:

Is this a category at some speed run competition somewhere? Because if not it definitely should be.

Not for Sonic, but there have been a few TAS of Megaman games that beat 4 games using the same inputs for all of them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

This time...THIS TIME GUYS...

This is the year in which a Sonic Final Boss will be cool and good.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Dabir posted:

Sonic Colors came out in 2010.

Yeah which was SEVEN years ago.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

https://www.facebook.com/Sonic/videos/10155118953812418/ Sonic Social media continiue to be ON loving POINT

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

MikeJF posted:

The only animal that'll out-weird an echidna is a platypus.

Perry the Platypus in a Sonic game would be :perfect:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Nah he'll just get Scourge's jacket.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

I haven't seen a thread for it, but that Spark game reminded me of a thing I NEVER got right in Sonic games either and it's the loops.

What are you supposed to do to keep momentum? I run at maximum speed, then hit a loop, get a quarter of the way up and it's all gone. I stop, roll down it and stop. Am I supposed to hold right? UP? JUMP? I have no clue and loops have been the bane of my existance in 2D Sonic games since forever.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

SupSuper posted:

Have you only played Sonic 4.

I have played an unreasonable amout of Sonic 4. But I have also played a lot of other 2D Sonic games, and the loops never look as smooth for me as they do in any video I see :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

DoctorWhat posted:

Reducing the visual impact of the game lets it run better. I'd rather it run at 60fps on the Switch and look like Forces than look like Generations and run at 30.

Thank you Nintendo for holding us back on both. Thank The Master Emerald for PC.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

:allbuttons:

Truly, we live in the best timeline.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

My only hope is that there will be an Elephant option, and I'll be able to create the ultimate OC.

Cage The Elephant.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

a.lo posted:

SONIC: hurt me

SONICS GIRLFRIEND: wtf why?

S: just do it

*Sonic’s girlfriend punches him, wedding rings explode of him

S: will u marry me?

Tonight on "I can't believe that I laughed at THAT..."

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

beep by grandpa posted:

Im really mad because I just realized sonic cd came out like 25 years ago and there's never been a game that recreates/reimagines its own intro section in gameplay

Sonic Colors intro was the gameplay. I'd say that's pretty close.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

TFRazorsaw posted:

Metal Sonic
Mecha Sonic (Sonic 2)
Silver Sonic (Sonic 2 Master System)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic Adventure)
Mecha Sonic Model no. 29 (Sonic the Fighters)
"Titan Metal Sonic" (Knuckles Chaotix)
Virtual Hedgehog (Sonic Colors)
Sonic-bot (Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice)
Mecha Sonic (Sonic roboticized, Archie)
Silver Sonic (Archie)
Metal Sonic 3.0 (Sonic Rivals)
Captain Metal (Archie)
Pseudo Sonic (Archie/AOSTH)
Badnik Sonic (Sonic the Comic)

wow. there are exactly fourteen unique robot Sonic designs throughout the franchise, not counting uses of the same design in adaptations like the Archie version of Metal and the one from the OVA. That's a good guess.

EDIT - wait, Metallix from StC kicks it up to 15.

What about Metal Overlord from Sonic Heroes?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

This whole loving thread tho. Even Mike Pollock pops up.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm okay with a new villain honestly

Eggman as a final boss isn't novel anymore

I wonder - cause the earlier gameplay confirmed that this is a world in which Eggman has gained control of the world and the Sonics are fighting to get it back from him. So he might be controlling them all like usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Sonic would deffo do Red Bull Vodka shots. Or maybe White Russians, cause they would cool you down nicely after chomping down a whole chilli dog.